Thread: Tears of Elune

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Tears of Elune

"These tears of perfect beauty embody the dream of what our world could be. Today they purify your hearts for the battle to come."

So what would that world be? Or what is that dream?
    Elune and the emerald dream are not often connected as far as I know. Though the emerald dream, as the "blueprint of azeroth" would make perfect sense here.
    I am really confused by this.
    May any lore experts help me here Thanks in advance
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I always assumed they represented an Azeroth at peace, with none of its inhabitants warring or fighting - something that Elune, as a goddess of tranquillity and harmony (at least in her incarnation as "the Mother Moon") would desire for Azeroth.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still confused about this.. all the Pillars of Creation link to titans, except for the Tears of Elune... still makes me wonder if Elune is a titan or something entirely else.
    Also don't know what its relation is to Azeroth...

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, seeing as the Night Elves (originally Dark trolls) believed Elune to be sleeping in the Well of Eternity during daytime, Elune is a piece of Azeroth..?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I just assumed that they were originally the Tears of Eonar but because the Elves came into possession of them very early on they renamed them.
    Khadgar and Aegwynn work on elven lore after all so if all records called them Tears of Elune, that's how they'd note them. Meanwhile perhaps the elves acquired all the other Pillars from either locations that clearly named them or from people who called them by their titanic names (probably titanforged). My general assumption is that under Azshara the Elves probably plundered quite a few Titan Vaults of their treasures.
    Seems logical. But why did Elune intervene then in Valsharah and cleansed them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I always assumed they represented an Azeroth at peace, with none of its inhabitants warring or fighting - something that Elune, as a goddess of tranquillity and harmony (at least in her incarnation as "the Mother Moon") would desire for Azeroth.
    Yeah that sounds good and reasonable. I just don't understand the link to Elune here because all other pillars are titan made.

Maybe Elune is the original creator of Azeroth and the titans reshaped it. She still guards it from time to time.
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    Yeah that sounds good and reasonable. I just don't understand the link to Elune here because all other pillars are titan made.

Maybe Elune is the original creator of Azeroth and the titans reshaped it. She still guards it from time to time.
    I still hold to the theory that Elune is, if not Azeroth herself, at least an aspect of the World-Soul of Azeroth - perhaps one cut free from the rest of the Titan World-Soul by the damage done to her in the Ordering when Y'Shaarj was pulled out of Azeroth (creating the wound that became the Well of Eternity). In this sense, Elune is connected to the Emerald Dream as the Emerald Dream itself is the slumbering subconscious of the Titan World-Soul, of which Elune is a part of. She is also connected to the Titans by virtue of being a Titan, or a product of a Titan's empowered soul. Elune may have also given rise to the Naaru as her own version of the Constellar beings that typically watch over planets with World-Souls as a form of emulation and/or replacement.

The existence of Elune separate from Azeroth may also be why Azeroth could persist in a more or less comatose state in perpetuity - Elune would need to return to Azeroth for the Titan Azeroth to fully realize itself. That's just the working theory, anyways.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

https://i.imgur.com/AeaQvS1.png

"These tears of perfect beauty embody the dream of what our world could be. Today they purify your hearts for the battle to come."

So what would that world be? Or what is that dream?
    Elune and the emerald dream are not often connected as far as I know. Though the emerald dream, as the "blueprint of azeroth" would make perfect sense here.
    I am really confused by this.
    May any lore experts help me here Thanks in advance
    It's definitely NOT the emerald dream... it's "the dream of what our world could be" for us - the emerald dream is Azeroth's dream that becomes reality, it's the ebb and flow of how nature i.e. the land and natural life on it flows - it's actually a real thing though it's a dream of a titan that can be guided because it is how things will flow in the natural without sentients intervening.

So it's pretty much a peaceful world, where your lives improve, you continue to improve, do well, and everything goes well, growth, increase, productivity, peace etc.

At least that's how I see it

10+ Year Old Account
    All I know is that I still have the Tear of Elune in my bank, because Blizzard fucked that up and didnt make it disappear from my bags on quest turn-in, aw yeah.

Also, Elune and the Emerald Dream are connected at least in some fashion, because she and Malorne banged and she birthed Cenarius from her mind-vagina.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I'm wondering if bliz will EVER clarify just what Elune is. I was hoping for something in SL, but I haven't really noticed anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    I'm wondering if bliz will EVER clarify just what Elune is. I was hoping for something in SL, but I haven't really noticed anything.
    Sometimes it's better for things to go unexplored, to retain an air of mystery and intrigue. The Old Gods definitely suffered from over-exploration and definition, largely losing their Lovecraftian mystique in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanibuhl View Post
    Still confused about this.. all the Pillars of Creation link to titans, except for the Tears of Elune... still makes me wonder if Elune is a titan or something entirely else.
    Also don't know what its relation is to Azeroth...
    Maybe Elune is a Titan from the Life Lands.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    Both Ardenweald and Bastion have implications that Elune had something to do with them. The little Owls in Bastion are the biggest clue as well as the Night Warrior/Night Queen connection (and the Night Queen is glowing white and looks like some kind of nature spirit similar to Cenarius, another child of Elune).

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post

Also, Elune and the Emerald Dream are connected at least in some fashion, because she and Malorne banged and she birthed Cenarius from her mind-vagina.
    I don't think that is meant to be visualised physically - it's more metaphorical

Sometimes it's better for things to go unexplored, to retain an air of mystery and intrigue. The Old Gods definitely suffered from over-exploration and definition, largely losing their Lovecraftian mystique in the process.
    Meh, it's not a case of having a "mystery" around her as much as it's just that Blizzard introduced her like this godlike being but then they got lost in their own ideas.

Elune doesn't make much sense. Her existence isn't known outside Azeroth, Titans never aknowledged her, neither did Sargeras or Velen, who's a prophet and a priest older than the night elves.
    But then her connection to Azeroth is also weird because only the night elves revere her. Despite her supposedly being the mother of Cenarius, she doesn't seem to be having any connection to the Dream, otherwise the Druids and the Priests wouldn't have been separate castes. The nature beings don't even aknowledge Elune as her goddess, as shown by dying Elothir saying "Perhaps your goddess can" to Tyrande. Supposedly the night elves learnt about her existence thanks to the proximity to the Well of Eternity, but what about trolls who just never got transformed?

Then they made this Val'sharah cinematic, and as much as it was cool, it made it an even bigger mess. Why did she appeared just then? It's not like Tyrande was praying. How could she cleanse Tears of Elune, if they seem to be "of Elune" by name only, since they are deeply connected to the dream/nature (and nightmare if used that way)? Why did she claim the body of Ysera, a dragon that is a servant of the titans?

They wanted to present her as the ultimate goddess, but then realized it's a bad idea, but it was too late. So now they are just using her as a tool for "cool moments".

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    Meh, it's not a case of having a "mystery" around her as much as it's just that Blizzard introduced her like this godlike being but then they got lost in their own ideas.

Elune doesn't make much sense. Her existence isn't known outside Azeroth, Titans never aknowledged her, neither did Sargeras or Velen, who's a prophet and a priest older than the night elves.
    But then her connection to Azeroth is also weird because only the night elves revere her. Despite her supposedly being the mother of Cenarius, she doesn't seem to be having any connection to the Dream, otherwise the Druids and the Priests wouldn't have been separate castes. The nature beings don't even aknowledge Elune as her goddess, as shown by dying Elothir saying "Perhaps your goddess can" to Tyrande. Supposedly the night elves learnt about her existence thanks to the proximity to the Well of Eternity, but what about trolls who just never got transformed?

Then they made this Val'sharah cinematic, and as much as it was cool, it made it an even bigger mess. Why did she appeared just then? It's not like Tyrande was praying. How could she cleanse Tears of Elune, if they seem to be "of Elune" by name only, since they are deeply connected to the dream/nature (and nightmare if used that way)? Why did she claim the body of Ysera, a dragon that is a servant of the titans?

They wanted to present her as the ultimate goddess, but then realized it's a bad idea, but it was too late. So now they are just using her as a tool for "cool moments".
    Elune is deeply connected to Azeroth, so it scans she wouldn't really be known beyond it. The Titans *did* acknowledge her, though; as represented by the Pillar of Creation (all of which were Titan creations) with her namesake as well as murals in the Temple of Elune in Suramar that show Elune working alongside the Titans to create Azeroth. Elune also taught the primitive Kaldorei some words in the Titan tongue (such as "Kalimdor" itself), showing that she spoke their language.

Elune is also revered by the Tauren, as well as a sect of Zandalari Trolls known as the Lun'alai. Goldrinn has a long and somewhat fractious history with Elune, who disapproved of his savagery. She also had a relationship of some kind with the Wild God Malorne of which Cenarius was a product of their union. The Wild Gods and Ancients don't seem to worship Elune in the same way the mortal races do, but they still acknowledge her. The Tears of Elune themselves seem to have some kind of thematic association with the Emerald Dream, and it seems Elune herself cares for the Dream due to her intervention concerning both the Tears and Ysera herself.

I don't think Elune is any kind of "ultimate goddess," however; while powerful she has definite limits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I don't think that is meant to be visualised physically - it's more metaphorical
    Look man don't kinkshame I just want my giant deer on celestial body action.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Elune is also likely not bound to any fixed form - if she wanted to incarnate as a luminous doe opposite Malorne's spirit-stag form she certainly could. Definitely has a mythological precedent.

3+ Year Old Account
    Nice UI you got there. What are you using?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astranea View Post
    Nice UI you got there. What are you using?
    https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/azeriteui-retail

Can't play without anymore. Everything works out of the box. Just need to add some more buttons in the menu.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah agree on this one. I'm in no way a vanilla nerd and don't even play classic even though I played vanilla, but the thrill I had when I first entered the twin emperor's room was soooo much more than running around in 8.3

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post

is not a mess, we just dont have enough information, have you never read a book??