3+ Year Old Account

Where Did The Orgrimmar Skyway Come From?

Before Cataclysm, the Cleft Of Shadows had no roof, you could see the sky from it. When Cataclysm launched, the Orgrimmar Skyway was over the Cleft Of Shadows. The question is this: where did that big piece of land come from? Did Shamans assemble it? Was it a lucky land slide that happened to perfectly make a plateau?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The changes to Orgrimmar was never really explained aside from "Garrosh changed it". It's not unlikely that he had some goblins blow up various pieces of land that was in the way. But I really do not remember the Cleft of Shadows having no roof, it was always a cave... Wasn't it? Are you perhaps thinkning of the Drag?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I'd say making a roof to a cave and a smooth plateau isn't beyond the engineers that build new orgrimmar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The changes to Orgrimmar was never really explained aside from "Garrosh changed it". It's not unlikely that he had some goblins blow up various pieces of land that was in the way. But I really do not remember the Cleft of Shadows having no roof, it was always a cave... Wasn't it? Are you perhaps thinkning of the Drag?
    CoS used to have a hole in the roof

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    I'd say making a roof to a cave and a smooth plateau isn't beyond the engineers that build new orgrimmar.

- - - Updated - - -

CoS used to have a hole in the roof
    Welp you are right... Then again, I guess without a roof it wouldn't be a cleft but a cave....

Welp you are right... Then again, I guess without a roof it wouldn't be a cleft but a cave....
    Yeah, not gonna lie, it was literally today that I realized the same...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    Before Cataclysm, the Cleft Of Shadows had no roof, you could see the sky from it. When Cataclysm launched, the Orgrimmar Skyway was over the Cleft Of Shadows. The question is this: where did that big piece of land come from? Did Shamans assemble it? Was it a lucky land slide that happened to perfectly make a plateau?

Sorry if this has already been answered.
    Well you see sweetie, when a mommy skyway and daddy skyway love eachother very, very much, they have this special hug together...
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Yeah, not gonna lie, it was literally today that I realized the same...
    ... Yep same here hah.

Also don’t forget we have a conclave of magic users like shaman who can manipulate the elements along with the druids who could have helped shape it

Edit: reworded how shaman use their abilities
    Last edited by Hobbidaggy; 2020-06-17 at 07:34 AM.

Can't say I've ever noticed. I don't remember the original one ever not having a ceiling of some sort.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Maybe the crumbling earth caused it. Or I bet the designers will tell you that much if asked now, even if they just forgot. I've played Horde since 2005 and I had no idea Cleft of Shadows used to be open to the sky.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

They had to bring in the Zeppelins to not be outside of the city and they wanted to add flying to the old world.

This meant the most elegant solution was making Orgrimmar vertical. Simple as that.
    This helped make Orgrimmar more of a hub than it was before. The layout makes sense.

As for lore reasons who cares. It was never lore relevant whether the Cleft of Shadows had a roof or not.

3+ Year Old Account
    Eh, more of a grotto.

Honest answer : Blizzard figured(correctly) most folks wouldn’t notice and they wanted the zep towers inside the gates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use your imagination, with a pinch of suspension of belief, and imagine that they built new things in Orgrimmar over a period of time lore-wise we didn't necessarily witness happening in game.

the horde doesnt follow causal reality.

things just happen and the world changes and contorts to suit the horde. if they need an army a horde army appears out of thin air. if they need an airship landing area one just appears. if the faction has long outlived its realistic existence and should crumble into ruins it just stays around and all characters in the world ignore it
    they hated sillag because he told them the truth

Why would you even build a city in a crack anyway? The idea is to build up high, so besiegers are severely hindered from climbing the walls.

The way Orgrimmar is built, enemies can just climb the mountain and throw shit from the walls into the city.

You're asking this when the Horde has goblins capable of turning this:

Into this:

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Why would you even build a city in a crack anyway? The idea is to build up high, so besiegers are severely hindered from climbing the walls.

The way Orgrimmar is built, enemies can just climb the mountain and throw shit from the walls into the city.
    Eh, that's an issue of gamescale, climbing the mountains isn't as feasible lorewise as it'd be ingame.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Eh, that's an issue of gamescale, climbing the mountains isn't as feasible lorewise as it'd be ingame.
    Why not? You've got flying ships on the Alliance side, flying mounts all over the place, and people who can make portals to lots of different places. All somebody would have to do is open a few portals to the middle of the big body of water a bit to the right of Orgrimmar and they'd flood the whole thing.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Why not? You've got flying ships on the Alliance side, flying mounts all over the place, and people who can make portals to lots of different places. All somebody would have to do is open a few portals to the middle of the big body of water a bit to the right of Orgrimmar and they'd flood the whole thing.
    1. I mean, Stormwind Keep is pretty close to a mountain too, Horde airship could go over that and just bombard it if things were 'simple'

2. That portal bit isn't really unique to Org.

Ostensibly, there's Nothing stopping the Nightborne from opening up a portal with one end in a volcano and the other end over an Alliance city.

Lorewise though there's rules for magic, limitations, and the same principles apply to airships (air pressure, getting into an area in a timely manner, stability of the area you set up in, etc). Blizz just never addresses them
    Twas brillig