View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • You're an elitist.

    67 31.02%
  • It's a fair preference.

    149 68.98%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
15
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    But what if it makes the game more enjoyable for me?
    The very definition of elitist. If you can only enjoy the game by playing with people of your progression or higher then that it elitist.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    That's like Mythic+ raid right there.

    I would know, I play a lock. Back when Battle of Dazar'alor was a thing - I still had to summon people before first boss. We even had a guild message telling people where raid entrance is. Rank 350 guild, much pro!
    The moving entrance is the hardest affix in the game!

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    I agree. I didn't say that they were. They are just not as experienced in the current content.
    And yet you did by saying those players make the game less enjoyable for you.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The very definition of elitist. If you can only enjoy the game by playing with people of your progression or higher then that it elitist.
    I didn't say I could only play with people of my progression.

    I said I prefer playing with people of the same experience when I play with strangers.

    And I think I'm allowed to have that preference.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    And yet you did by saying those players make the game less enjoyable for you.
    Less enjoyable in comparison

    That's not saying they are bad. It's saying they don't have the same experience as me. Nothing more.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Hi everyone. I hope you're all having a nice spring day.

    I play WoW. I'm a 11/12 mythic raider and I have a 3k rio score.

    I prefer to play with people who got approximately the same experience with current content as myself.

    Therefore I use systems like Raider.io, Wowprogress, Warcraftlog etc. to see how much experience people have with current content to compare it to my own.

    Do you think that makes me an elitist or do you think it's a fair preference?

    Edit: Also, is being an elitist a bad thing?
    Why are you hung up about what other people think? I dont think anyone really cares. If you want to be a elitist, then cool for you.

  6. #86
    The whole RIO thing is just silly to me. How the hell is a person, new or newly returned supposed to break into the M+ scene when I've seen +8 keys listed as "Checking RIO"?

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    I agree. I didn't say that they were.

    They are just not as experienced in the current content.
    but how much does that actually matter when it's easy content?

    having an issue if people are barely good enough is one thing. but once you aren't satisfied with people who are more than good enough because they aren't as good as you, it starts to become elitist.

    now if you mean the content is more enjoyable because you can do crazy pulls or fancy tactics that less experienced people might not know that's another thing, but you didn't mention any of that.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-05-28 at 05:38 PM.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by G3 Ghost View Post
    The whole RIO thing is just silly to me. How the hell is a person, new or newly returned supposed to break into the M+ scene when I've seen +8 keys listed as "Checking RIO"?
    The underlying "issue" is that experienced players don't want to play with new players. And that doesn't really have anything to do with rio.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    but how much does that actually matter when it's easy content?

    having an issue if people are barely good enough is one thing. but once you aren't satisfied with people who are more than good enough because they aren't as good as you, it starts to become elitist.
    That's because you see: Goal = finish the content

    I see: Goal = have fun

    And I have more fun when I play with equals in relation to experience.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    They are just not as experienced in the current content.
    The word you are looking for: "bad".


  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    That's because you see: Goal = finish the content

    I see: Goal = have fun

    And I have more fun when I play with equals in relation to experience.
    yes but why is finish the content =/= have fun? because you are objectively making it more difficult by doing harder pulls etc, or because it's a subjective feeling you have, or something else?

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The very definition of elitist. If you can only enjoy the game by playing with people of your progression or higher then that it elitist.
    I wonder where the negative connotation comes from then.

    Because if, granted your definition is correct, I would be a proud elitist myself then.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    I didn't say I could only play with people of my progression. I said I prefer playing with people of the same experience when I play with strangers. And I think I'm allowed to have that preference. Less enjoyable in comparison That's not saying they are bad. It's saying they don't have the same experience as me. Nothing more.
    Which is elitist. If a person is fully capable of clearing the content there is no reason to play with them. Using out of content qualifiers or only prefering to play with similar or greater progression is elitist. Are you allowed to be elitist? Sure. But you seem to be afraid of that label.

    Less experience doesn't automatically make doing something less enjoyable. Which means elitism is at play because you are saying you can only enjoy people who have some arbitrary for the content qualification. Why is a Mythic +10 less enjoyable just because that person hasn't cleared 11/12 of a mythic raid? When they are fully capable of running a +10.

    That is elitism. You are saying you can only enjoy a party if everyone is in $5,000 suits when a $1,000 suit is indistinguishable.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    yes but why is finish the content =/= have fun? because you are objectively making it more difficult by doing harder pulls etc, or because it's a subjective feeling you have, or something else?
    Yes. I have done more than 100 +15-20 keys this season, so I really only enjoy them if I play with a group that do crazy pulls. Otherwise it's boring for me. Again, that's just my preference for what I find fun. Fun is subjective right.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The very definition of elitist. If you can only enjoy the game by playing with people of your progression or higher then that it elitist.
    So guilds are elitist?
    There have been vast stretches of time (pre and post-RIO) when I've not had time to play on my alts and not needed to do groupfinder content on my main so basically I only raided and did the weekly with guildies. My guild is a mythic prog guild, does that mean me playing is in of itself elitist?

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Which is elitist. If a person is fully capable of clearing the content there is no reason to play with them.
    What if clearing the content is not the main goal for me when I do a +15 key?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    The word you are looking for: "bad".

    Stop being such a toxic elitist

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    I wonder where the negative connotation comes from then. Because if, granted your definition is correct, I would be a proud elitist myself then.
    Because it is bad to exclude people for no other reason then they are not as distinguished as yourself. There is no reason why you can't enjoy playing the game with people that can easily clear that content. You don't need to be a 12/12 world first raider in order to do a +10 key. If you have to add some arbitrary requirement to who can group with you for content then it is elitism.

    It isn't always bad. If you are pushing a key, or wanting to clear 12/12 then requiring certain stuff is fine even if it still falls under elitism. But if you are require 12/12 clear to do a +10 and say that you can only enjoy any content by playing with 12/12 players only then that is a bad form of elitism.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    There is no reason why you can't enjoy playing the game with people that can easily clear that content.
    Who are you to tell me what I can and cannot enjoy? For me it's not about just clearing the content. This is completely crazy.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    So guilds are elitist? There have been vast stretches of time (pre and post-RIO) when I've not had time to play on my alts and not needed to do groupfinder content on my main so basically I only raided and did the weekly with guildies. My guild is a mythic prog guild, does that mean me playing is in of itself elitist?
    If the guild is denying perfectly capable people because they are not "12/12" then yes it would be elitist. If you only did content with guildies and turned down non-guildies that were capable of that content then that would be elitist.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    What if clearing the content is not the main goal for me when I do a +15 key?
    Then you are being elitist by assigning an arbitrary goal meant to exclude perfectly capable players for no other reason then you want to.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Who are you to tell me what I can and cannot enjoy? For me it's not about just clearing the content. This is completely crazy.
    You asked. Why are you now getting salty over being given an answer that you don't like? If you are going to act elitist you shouldn't be such a snowflake.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You asked.
    When did I ask that?

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    When did I ask that?
    The original post. You asked if a behavior was elitist.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •