Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'm gay, thanks for noticing the cultural intersection between our oppressed communities! We still don't have it as bad as them though.

That would be implying I'm claiming or pretending to be black, which I've not. Top kek.
    It’s not just white people that can be gay btw.
    change can't wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    It’s not just white people that can be gay btw.
    Thank fucking god. The way a whole lot of white gays up and went full on Confederate the instant marriage got legalised is nothing short of vile.

Which helps to underscore the point of how racial animus influences every other aspect of American life and culture. White solidarity is strong enough to overcome feminism or gay rights, still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I'm wondering why @Elegiac seems so gung-ho on damning cops that had no involvement in this incident.
    Because they, by choosing to be police officers, are complicit in a system of oppression and for the most part are doing fuck all to address it themselves.

And no, hun. There's a world of difference between being born a particular color and watching too many procedurals as a kid.

While conveniently ignoring the crab pot ghetto culture. Something that hurts the black community and poor communities much worse. You never addressed that in the other thread. Even giving a pass on looting an entire store.
    Namely because these things are symptoms of the problem which you refuse to acknowledge exists, because white fragility is a thing.

And don't worry, I'm sure that store smoked weed in college and was bound to end up looted the way it was going.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    Eye for an eye and the world goes blind. We need to fix the police with higher standards, better training, body cams etc. But innocent people shouldn't suffer because of a racist shitheel being a cunt.
    Friend...an eye? What I am trying impress upon you is that innocent people have been suffering. This country has done whatever it wanted with black people's bodies since the 1500s to the present day. This is not a series of recent incidents followed by skirmishes, this is pretty much the entire structural edifice of the country since before its inception, in tandem with law enforcement, the judiciary, the legislative process, and a population that has consistently ignored and rationalized it, and you are still asking people to register their objections to centuries of horrific abuse and murder, legal, gross injustices, and all manner of relentless daily indignities in a way that you'd feel more comfortable with.

I'm going to ask you again--do you not feel sickened hearing yourself fret over their manner of protest?
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    You are still asking people to register their objections to centuries of horrific abuse and murder, legal, gross injustices, and all manner of relentless daily indignities in a way that you'd feel more comfortable with.
    Oh look, someone spilled a whole pot of scalding hot tea all over the thread.

I'd say to pay attention but the folks this applies to aren't known for their ability to self-reflect.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh LORD the Onion just doesn't miss.

MINNEAPOLIS—Calling for a more measured way to express opposition to police brutality, critics slammed demonstrators Thursday for recklessly looting businesses without forming a private equity firm first. “Look, we all have the right to protest, but that doesn’t mean you can just rush in and destroy any business without gathering a group of clandestine investors to purchase it at a severely reduced price and slowly bleed it to death,” said Facebook commenter Amy Mulrain, echoing the sentiments of detractors nationwide who blasted the demonstrators for not hiring a consultant group to take stock of a struggling company’s assets before plundering. “I understand that people are angry, but they shouldn’t just endanger businesses without even a thought to enriching themselves through leveraged buyouts and across-the-board terminations. It’s disgusting to put workers at risk by looting. You do it by chipping away at their health benefits and eventually laying them off. There’s a right way and wrong way to do this.” At press time, critics recommended that protestors hold law enforcement accountable by simply purchasing the Minneapolis police department from taxpayers.

I guess we could just compromise that we should at least arrest the people that incited the riot. Should be the best way to go from here.

So that means the police that started teargassing and the actors who smashed the windows.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm wondering why @Elegiac seems so gung-ho on damning cops that had no involvement in this incident. While conveniently ignoring the crab pot ghetto culture. Something that hurts the black community and poor communities much worse. You never addressed that in the other thread. Even giving a pass on looting an entire store.
    Seriously stop crying. Asking people to condemn something anyone with any reason can decline for themselves. Coupled with a leader in the White House fueling this.

At this point the situation will sort it’s way out. Idiots rioting will either continue to be ignored or it will escalate. Either way everyone is free to make a choice.

These cops obviously don’t care. Enough lip service. Justice NOW!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Rofl, this is gold

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    The cop is in custody......good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    Rofl, this is gold
    Remember folks, it's okay to loot businesses as long as you do so as the wealthy owner of a private equity firm. Otherwise you may as well be a terrorist. /s

Today's cultural zeitgeist is brought to you by the letter S:

Holy shit. Is there a German word for laughter that feels like it's stabbing you.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    What’s the point of debating being gay vs. being a racial minority? And what is it with a few certain people in this thread that seem to forget you can be both?

Being a part of either groups or both present two unique challenges that sometimes overlap and sometimes they don’t. That’s about the end of it.
    some people don't remember that the KKK killed gay people?

racism and homophobia is bad! and racists are generally homophobes too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Holy shit. Is there a German word for laughter that feels like it's stabbing you.
    Schmerzhafteslachen, probably.

The only crying on my end is trying to fathom why any sane person would give a pass on looting and destroying their own town. It's absolutely baffling to me. Three only thing they're going to accomplish is turning the narrative into making them the villians and not the cops.
    Firstly the people looting often aren't from the town it seems to be outsiders and the theory now is that they're opportunist from elsewhere.

Last time this happened and white people were saying it was a bunch of black people looting themselves... it wasn't... arrest showed the overwhelming majority were from out of the city.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only crying on my end is trying to fathom why any sane person would give a pass on looting and destroying their own town. It's absolutely baffling to me. Three only thing they're going to accomplish is turning the narrative into making them the villians and not the cops.
    Fortunately, this was answered for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive
    This country has done whatever it wanted with black people's bodies since the 1500s to the present day. This is not a series of recent incidents followed by skirmishes, this is pretty much the entire structural edifice of the country since before its inception, in tandem with law enforcement, the judiciary, the legislative process, and a population that has consistently ignored and rationalized it, and you are still asking people to register their objections to centuries of horrific abuse and murder, legal, gross injustices, and all manner of relentless daily indignities in a way that you'd feel more comfortable with.
    Check thyself colonizer.

Schmerzhafteslachen, probably.
    Haha, that would be great.
    Sadly no, there isn't.

I guess the closest would be a "Lachkrampf", which is not about pain, but about not being able to stop laughing. But most of the time that hurts after a while
    ("Krampf" is a cramp)

Edit
    Just to be clear, if you say "schmerzhaftes Lachen" everyone would understand you, but it's 2 words and just translates to "painful laughter"
    The more common thing to say in such a situation is just "Ich habe Schmerzen vor lauter Lachen" -> "I am in pain due to all the laughing"
    Last edited by Inuyaki; 2020-05-29 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Haha, that would be great.
    Sadly no, there isn't.

I guess the closest would be a "Lachkrampf", which is not about pain, but about not being able to stop laughing. But most of the time that hurts after a while
    ("Krampf" is a cramp)
    I am entirely confident in the ability of the German language to generate new and wonderful frankenwords for life's many obscure sorrows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like an excuse to me. A rather shitty one to boot.
    That's entirely a function of you lacking empathy, not on them not having valid reasons for being pissed.

Again, check thy privilege. Rioting is a symptom.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is not that you don’t know. You’re just unwilling to accept.

That isn’t anyone else problem but yours.

You turn a blind fucking god damn eye to a man being fucking murdered on camera with every ability to stop it. They made a fucking choice

Enough is enough.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You turn a blind fucking god damn eye to a man being fucking murdered on camera with every ability to stop it.
    I mean that sucks but won't you think of all the racist white people that were finally going to give black people civil rights and then they decided not to because Target got Targeted? /s