Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    slang in video games: Why?

    I’m not trying to spam or be a troll, but why do people talk street in fantasy MMORPGs? (“Yo.”) I get that you’ve seen some things, but if you’re willing to talk like a normal human being during job interviews, why do you talk street in a fantasy MMORPG, ruining immersion for everybody? Be considerate, even if it’s not work.

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord crakerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ptwn, Oregon
    Posts
    4,721
    Well I could see your point having ground if you're on an RP realm, but if you're on a non-RP realm, why does it matter how people talk? I say yo, howdy, sup and various other greetings all the time because it's what I do with most people. Just out of curiosity, why did you use a job interview as an example of how people should act in their leisure time? That seems pretty high strung.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Well I could see your point having ground if you're on an RP realm, but if you're on a non-RP realm, why does it matter how people talk? I say yo, howdy, sup and various other greetings all the time because it's what I do with most people. Just out of curiosity, why did you use a job interview as an example of how people should act in their leisure time? That seems pretty high strung.
    Maybe your job interviews were high strung, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

  4. #4
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,992
    IMO, the word "Yo" isn't just street talk; it's a common greeting, and it conveys a lot about the character saying it in just one word.

    Fiction is written for contemporary audiences. It is written in the language of the the audience, so that the audience might understand the characters. If you try to get all fancy and write your story set in 1,000 AD in the language of 1,000 AD, modern audiences aren't going to understand it.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  5. #5
    I say word, yo, sup, where you at, and many more in real life so I shall do as I please.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - Sire Denathrius confirmed to have created the Dreadlords.

  6. #6
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    16,876
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    but why do people talk street in fantasy MMORPGs? (“Yo.”)
    So fictional characters cannot develop the same or similar talking styles that we do?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  7. #7
    Yo dawg why ya gota be all up in here about slang maybe I iz roleplaying a gangsta dude.

  8. #8
    Dyslexia, time saving, lazyliness, etc. I'm sure with your High Level edjumacation you could've figured it out yourself.

  9. #9
    Pit Lord Mrbleedinggums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    All Jalapeno Face
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I’m not trying to spam or be a troll, but why do people talk street in fantasy MMORPGs? (“Yo.”) I get that you’ve seen some things, but if you’re willing to talk like a normal human being during job interviews, why do you talk street in a fantasy MMORPG, ruining immersion for everybody? Be considerate, even if it’s not work.
    What level of Karen is this post? Because caring bout how ppl type in game versus presenting oneself in a professional manner when it actually matters is completely different. If you have family or friends, you don't treat them in the same manner as you would a coworker. Or hell, maybe you do, there's always a chance for outliers to exist.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

  10. #10
    this is a really autistic thread

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    What level of Karen is this post? Because caring bout how ppl type in game versus presenting oneself in a professional manner when it actually matters is completely different. If you have family or friends, you don't treat them in the same manner as you would a coworker. Or hell, maybe you do, there's always a chance for outliers to exist.
    I’m not your family or friend, I am randomly assigned to you as a stranger in your party.

  12. #12
    I said "Yo" when I was growing up all the time, and I grew up about as far from the street as one can.

    You can't expect people to change how they speak in daily life just because they're in a game. If someone greets a friend with something like "What's up homie" in real life, why wouldn't they do so in a game with someone they view as a friend?

  13. #13
    maybe they aren't that into RP?
    so a job interview is most likely going to be one of the few times they do.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  14. #14
    Yo as a New Yorker, I gotta say, you Karen's are making me more and more mad every time you post. Get a grip, weirdo.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Maybe your job interviews were high strung, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask.
    I'm confused, on one hand you're digging people who are overly casual per your point of view, then on the other hand, you seem to take quite formal things like "job interviews" as not very serious... So here's how it is, your perception on things, is just that. your perception. just play the fucking game. Threads like this are snowflake narcassist at best. and racist at worst. Shouldn't judge people because they are different than you.



    Side note... got a laugh thinking of playing wow in a suit an tie with my resume on the table.... i know this has happened before to me as i procrastinated running out the door to my interview

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Thuunda View Post
    I'm confused, on one hand you're digging people who are overly casual per your point of view, then on the other hand, you seem to take quite formal things like "job interviews" as not very serious... So here's how it is, your perception on things, is just that. your perception. just play the fucking game. Threads like this are snowflake narcassist at best. and racist at worst. Shouldn't judge people because they are different than you.



    Side note... got a laugh thinking of playing wow in a suit an tie with my resume on the table.... i know this has happened before to me as i procrastinated running out the door to my interview
    Not hard to assume the OP doesn't like people of color. "Street slang" basically says this guy wants you to talk more "white."

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Fiction is written for contemporary audiences. It is written in the language of the the audience, so that the audience might understand the characters. If you try to get all fancy and write your story set in 1,000 AD in the language of 1,000 AD, modern audiences aren't going to understand it.
    I seem to recall a certain Japanese rpg series that likes to throw around more than its fair share of thouests and doths.

  18. #18
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Not in Europe Anymore Yay
    Posts
    6,456
    Street Talk? What are we, 87?

    If you're on an RP realm, sure. Otherwise why? Why do you think us random people deserve the best foot forward / jumping through hoops that people do for their bosses? You said it yourself, we're not friends, we're not family. You're not that crusty Aunt/Uncle that we all seem to have that gets horribly offended if you say "Damn it" - If you don't like people talking like normal people then perhaps an MMO isn't for you?
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there?| FOR THE HORDE | I might make you angry but I'm right.

  19. #19
    There is an argument to be made that it ruins immersion, especially on RP servers, but generally I don't think people outside of RP servers are that concerned with whether or not people say Yo instead of Hi, Hey or any other form of greeting.

  20. #20
    I vary my phrases a lot depending on my mood... no I won't alter for your sake.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •