Are Kettlebells worth it?

These canonballs with a handle?

I consider getting one, but I'm unsure about weight, brand or other factors. Using google is pointless, since the fitness searches are flooded with paid bloggers, youtubers and coaches.
    Anyone got experiences he/she wants to share?

for home use i'd get an adjustable dumbbell. takes less space and gives you more flexibility.

brand doesn't really matter i don't think, it's just a piece of iron afterall, even moreso if you are a beginner. but you can consider something with a more comfortable grip or rubber padding so it doesn't damage your floor as fast if you drop it, if that's worth the premium to you.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-05-29 at 07:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can do a lot of variable exercises with kettlebells and get a solid full body workout.

As with basically all non-gimmick equipment, it's what you do with it that counts.

I would recommend starting with three at different weights that fit your needs - say 10lb / 20lb / 30lb. You'll probably want heavier bells for leg/chest/core and lighter bells for extremities. The actual weights will vary depending on your fitness level (maybe you need to start at the very low end with a 5lb one, or maybe 10lb is too light already).

Brand-wise I would just stick to a straightforward cast-iron bell that has a good cross-hatch grip at a size that fits nicely in your hand. The brand itself doesn't matter too much if it's just a solid chunk of iron. Stay away from anything gimmicky like color-coded plastic bands added to the handle etc. because they'll just break and you're paying extra for no reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    for home use i'd get an adjustable dumbbell. takes less space and gives you more flexibility.

brand doesn't really matter i don't think, it's just a piece of iron afterall. but you can consider something with a more comfortable grip or rubber padding so it doesn't damage your floor as fast if you drop it, if that's worth the premium to you.
    I would absolutely 100% never advise anyone get an 'adjustable dumbell' unless you mean dumbell bars and a set of plates.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I've used them a few times at the gym, but I have a set of powerblocks at home that I prefer for an at home product. Pretty sure those come in a kettleball setup now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I would absolutely 100% never advise anyone get an 'adjustable dumbell' unless you mean dumbell bars and a set of plates.
    yeah just a metal stick with some metal donuts to slide on. any sports store will have some.

beats buying half a dozen kettlebells if you are just starting out imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah just a metal stick with some metal donuts to slide on. any sports store will have some.

beats buying half a dozen kettlebells if you are just starting out imo.
    I agree fully, I thought you meant one of those super expensive variable dumbell systems where the dumbells like rotate around and clip into a holder. They're such a waste of money and if you get up to the heavy weights they're completely ungainly and ridiculous to hold in one hand.

Dumbell bars + plates and barbell bar + plates is the way to go for sure. I'd probably even get a high end set of resistance bands before I went in on kettlebells.

I have a 50lb kettlebell. I'm an average sized male. It's heavy but not too heavy. Do some research on the benefits of the kettlebell swing. If nothing else, this gives you a FANTASTIC aerobic workout in a very short time. Trust me, after 2 minutes of swinging the bell, you will understand. It also helps build grip strength. Kettlebell swings can also improve your deadlift.

If you are female, opt for the 35lb bell.

edit: I would recommend starting with 1 50lb kettlebell and go from there. As said, brand, etc does not matter. I think I ordered the cheapest one I could find online and it's been just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I agree fully, I thought you meant one of those super expensive variable dumbell systems where the dumbells like rotate around and clip into a holder. They're such a waste of money and if you get up to the heavy weights they're completely ungainly and ridiculous to hold in one hand.

Dumbell bars + plates and barbell bar + plates is the way to go for sure. I'd probably even get a high end set of resistance bands before I went in on kettlebells.
    I've never had a problem with them, was introduced to them in Iraq and they worked great so I bought a set later on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I've never had a problem with them, was introduced to them in Iraq and they worked great so I bought a set later on.
    I find them to be ungainly at heavier weights and far more prone to breaking than a simple dumbell+plate system. They're also significantly more expensive, though I guess they do deliver on space-saving.

Under no circumstances am I using a weight that just clips in over my head. At least with a bar unless my arms break or fail the worst that'll happen is the weights slide off at the end.

Variable weights are a massive no from me.

brand doesn't really matter i don't think, it's just a piece of iron afterall, even moreso if you are a beginner. but you can consider something with a more comfortable grip or rubber padding so it doesn't damage your floor as fast if you drop it, if that's worth the premium to you.
    this - using the same since highschool times very good investment back then

kettballs are only good if you plan to make your own home gym room etc. they take space and you need multiple of them to work out properly

10+ Year Old Account
    My home workout includes a three kettlebells. I like them since you can do a variety of different exercises with just a single appropriately-weighted bell. I work out guided by a fitness coach though; I'm not sure I would recommend just buying some just to try something since it's pretty easy to hurt yourself doing something wrong. Are you trying to achieve something specific? It really depends on what you're going for.

Also, I'm not sure I would recommend buying a whole set if you do decide to go that route. The nice ones are pretty expensive (and the cheap ones can tear up your hands) and they do take up space. Chances are you aren't going to use some of them ever, and initially you might only be using a single one or two. Personally, I bought two out the gate and I'm buying heavier ones one by one as I work my way up and leaving the lighter ones for warm up stuff. Eventually if I move past any entirely I'll just retire them to the garage or rehome them.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as a few people recommend adjustable dumbbells, any brands you would recommend?

And i guess i should go for those that can go up to at least 15kg's each if i am already used to using 10kg's for most exercises?
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-06-03 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Seeing as a few people recommend adjustable dumbbells, any brands you would recommend?

And i guess i should go for those that can go up to at least 15kg's each if i am already used to using 10kg's for most exercises?
    Ironmaster's adjustable dumbells are pretty great. I've had them for 8 or 9 years now with no issues whatsoever. Not the quickest swapping if you are trying to do drop sets or something, but very sturdy and not something you have to worry about breaking. They go up to 165 lbs(75kg) per hand for the biggest kit, they are fairly expensive though. Still worth it for me personally because when it comes down to it I can get my gym equipment down to 1-2 square ft of foot print and still get a decent workout at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    Ironmaster's adjustable dumbells are pretty great. I've had them for 8 or 9 years now with no issues whatsoever. Not the quickest swapping if you are trying to do drop sets or something, but very sturdy and not something you have to worry about breaking. They go up to 165 lbs(75kg) per hand for the biggest kit, they are fairly expensive though. Still worth it for me personally because when it comes down to it I can get my gym equipment down to 1-2 square ft of foot print and still get a decent workout at home.
    Those look great, considering the price and the ability to buy extra plates so you can actually expand on them. Just have to find a reseller in Europe/Benelux region. 45Lbs with the option to expand on each hand should be more than enough for me for the coming year.

Looked at bowflex but going on user reviews they tend to break 'easily' for some, powerblocks also get good reviews but they look uncomfortable although user reviews claim the are not.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Are you trying to achieve something specific? It really depends on what you're going for.
    The idea is to replace my regular dumbbells - and I want to move away from training isolated muscles if possible. The exercises involving Kettlebells look promising in this regard.
    Definitely not going to buy a whole set, at best 2 different sizes. One for the swing and one for the trickier stuff, like get ups.
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2020-06-07 at 02:30 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    These canonballs with a handle?

I consider getting one, but I'm unsure about weight, brand or other factors. Using google is pointless, since the fitness searches are flooded with paid bloggers, youtubers and coaches.
    Anyone got experiences he/she wants to share?
    Bowflex makes an 8-40lb adjustable kettlebell. Kettlebells in my exp are great for accessory work between proper lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    I'm unsure about weight, brand or other factors.
    All my research points to https://www.roguefitness.com/
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself