Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The trend of spoiling the viewers and consumers?

Hey everyone, today topic is about what I call it "the modern trend of spoiling the viewers and consumers"

I noticed over the last recent years a certain pattern of companies spoiling their products just to get hype up to pre purchase their stuff.

Movies, tv shows, anime, video games, almost any kind of media product...you will see companies releasing million of trailers, teasers, extended gameplay footage (when it comes to video games), and first 1 or 2 mins of a certain unreleased yet popular tv series like the walking dead and many more.

I mean I will give an example about the walking dead tv series ok? the episode is roughly 40 ish to 46 mins or something like that (there are few exception extended episodes) for one episode they release a 1 min or more trailer for that certain episode then few days later you will see another sneak peek which is totally different part of the episode other than what we already saw in that official trailer of the episode, then they will fucking release another video calling it the first 2 mins of the episode.. that is like what? you already saw like 30% of the episode before even officially released or aired? what is the point? I remember back in the day they will just release one single trailer per the season or per an episode and thats it! I fucking hate how they released million of video footages just to hype things up.. I mean I know it is an important thing for the company but for the viewers and the consumers it is a loss actually not a win.

When it comes to video games look at the last of us 2. For god sake how many videos, trailers, gameplay footage, teasers, and all that jazz....what is even the point of playing the game anymore? if most of the players already know most about it really (not talking about the leak spoilers that been released recently though).

And over the last recent years it became the norm...

I never watch trailers for anything anymore, since some of them have just massively spoiled the twist, or major plot points.

Most egregious example on top of my head is that terminator movie where they spoiled in the trailer that he was a terminator.

So, since a few years back, I just dont watch that stuff, I always fast forward past "last week on" or "next week of" segments in shows too.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I actually have quite the opposite problem to what you describe; living in Australia we get our tv shows about a week (sometimes longer sometimes not at all) behind the US unless we obtain them via torrents. So I go to obtain an episode of say, Supernatural, around 2pm my time after it airs. while it is downloading I decide to jump on youtube and within seconds I regret that decision because someone has already uploaded a video with the title "Character X kills Character Y" thus ruining it.

but yeah I agree; tv shows should just have a 30sec trailer and nothing else - which I think most of them do. Movies usually have 2-3 trailers but they tend to overlap footage and while some are way to spoily-spoily some of them are done really well (Avengers Infinity War). I haven't seen much of the Last of Us 2 stuff but didn't most of their stuff get leaked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there is so much more competition for people attention these days companies really have to oversell their product. I personally don't feel like showing 3 min. of a 40ish min. episode of TV to be spoiling it. Then again, I usually don't really care about spoilers and those times that I do, I find them pretty easy to avoid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, Marvel were THE WORST at this. One of the main reasons I dislike Age of Ultron is because due to the trailers, sneak peaks, behind the scenes previews etc etc, by the time I actually sat down to WATCH the film, it felt like I'd already seen it. And it turns out, I wasn't that far wrong...

Since then, I've watched the first teaser, and the first main trailer for movies then I stop.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yup, Marvel were THE WORST at this. One of the main reasons I dislike Age of Ultron is because due to the trailers, sneak peaks, behind the scenes previews etc etc, by the time I actually sat down to WATCH the film, it felt like I'd already seen it. And it turns out, I wasn't that far wrong...

Since then, I've watched the first teaser, and the first main trailer for movies then I stop.
    I think Marvel learned from that. Now they just straight up lie in trailers and show scenes there are not in the movie or edit them to hide stuff. They did that with Thor's eye in Ragnarok and to hide the hulkbuster armor in Infinity War.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Hey everyone, today topic is about what I call it "the modern trend of spoiling the viewers and consumers"

I noticed over the last recent years a certain pattern of companies spoiling their products just to get hype up to pre purchase their stuff.

Movies, tv shows, anime, video games, almost any kind of media product...you will see companies releasing million of trailers, teasers, extended gameplay footage (when it comes to video games), and first 1 or 2 mins of a certain unreleased yet popular tv series like the walking dead and many more.

I mean I will give an example about the walking dead tv series ok? the episode is roughly 40 ish to 46 mins or something like that (there are few exception extended episodes) for one episode they release a 1 min or more trailer for that certain episode then few days later you will see another sneak peek which is totally different part of the episode other than what we already saw in that official trailer of the episode, then they will fucking release another video calling it the first 2 mins of the episode.. that is like what? you already saw like 30% of the episode before even officially released or aired? what is the point? I remember back in the day they will just release one single trailer per the season or per an episode and thats it! I fucking hate how they released million of video footages just to hype things up.. I mean I know it is an important thing for the company but for the viewers and the consumers it is a loss actually not a win.

When it comes to video games look at the last of us 2. For god sake how many videos, trailers, gameplay footage, teasers, and all that jazz....what is even the point of playing the game anymore? if most of the players already know most about it really (not talking about the leak spoilers that been released recently though).

Netflix gave away a huge spoiler of the 3rd season of Dark just by showing Martha wearing a specific set of clothes. I was somewhat disappointed

10+ Year Old Account

even if you got (I'll stipulate, because I dont care to challenge this part) 3 full 2 min clips then 6min out of 40 then you are at 15% not 30%

but the bigger question is who cares if they are doing it. Watch, Dont Watch... your time, you decide.

Same with a gaming company, are you suggesting that you want LESS information? Then here's a hint, dont read/watch/consume the information.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    even if you got (I'll stipulate, because I dont care to challenge this part) 3 full 2 min clips then 6min out of 40 then you are at 15% not 30%

but the bigger question is who cares if they are doing it. Watch, Dont Watch... your time, you decide.

Same with a gaming company, are you suggesting that you want LESS information? Then here's a hint, dont read/watch/consume the information.
    Yes even if it is 15% the question is why should I spoil myself into something before even the fucking god damn official release date? am I this desperate or unpatience?

Oh I don't read trust me but sometimes things get shoved into yourself so your excuse of "don't read don't open browse and all that jazz is not relevant because back in the then we did have internet and YET they don't spoil things up as bad as now.

I don't mind information about the games but there is a difference between information like the game setting, genre and general idea of what the game about than fucking revealing major plots and gameplay about the fucking game. Back in the days they will just tell you hey Chrono Trigger is an awesome JRPG that has a deep story and interesting characters and it is from squaresoft company! go go! play it! if Chrono Trigger released in modern days (not talking about the port recent release) then I will not be surprised if they fucking reveal the main character death just to hype things up for the players to buy it. See? this is no fucking info this is pure god damn spoiling trend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes even if it is 15% the question is why should I spoil myself into something before even the fucking god damn official release date? am I this desperate or unpatience?

Oh I don't read trust me but sometimes things get shoved into yourself so your excuse of "don't read don't open browse and all that jazz is not relevant because back in the then we did have internet and YET they don't spoil things up as bad as now.

I don't mind information about the games but there is a difference between information like the game setting, genre and general idea of what the game about than fucking revealing major plots and gameplay about the fucking game. Back in the days they will just tell you hey Chrono Trigger is an awesome JRPG that has a deep story and interesting characters and it is from squaresoft company! go go! play it! if Chrono Trigger released in modern days (not talking about the port recent release) then I will not be surprised if they fucking reveal the main character death just to hype things up for the players to buy it. See? this is no fucking info this is pure god damn spoiling trend.
    If you are truly this offended by their actions dont purchase their games. That said, its their IP, aren't they allowed to decide how much or how little to release before its air/release date?

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are truly this offended by their actions dont purchase their games. That said, its their IP, aren't they allowed to decide how much or how little to release before its air/release date?
    Are you that dense that you missed the fucking entire point of my topic?

The main thing is back in the days companies don't release billions of trailers and teasers about their new products either it is video game or tv show or movie. They just release one fucking main official trailer and thats it nothing else. No teasers no sneak peek no first 2 or 3 mins footage no crap like that. I am just complaining about the mentality of this modern trend which it is becoming more and more norm.

How is it my fault when random folks spoil things up in social media like in instagram, or random recommendation of youtube or any stuff like that. The excuse of "don't get into the internet" is not correct because there was an era where internet existed but people and companies don't spoil things out just for fucking hype.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hm... guess I just don't watch enough trailers. But yeah...in some cases during the trailer I was "WTF" - like giving away the twist of who actually died in the Pet Semetary remake or what John Connor really is in the trailer of Terminator: Genysys.

Even when done in a way that you don't think it is a spoiler when watching the trailer, the moment the ship with Chewy explodes in TRoS, you are like...meh...whatever...he was in the Millenium Falcon with Lando in the trailer...

At the base however...stuff evolves and changes. Go watch trailers for movies from the 70s or earlier. A narrator literally walks you through the plot as if you couldn't follow just the montage on the screen (maybe ppl really couldn't)

Chill man. Or how about: Write to the company instead of ranting here? Might actually achieve something. Or how about: While you are at it - tell them it is the reason why you don't buy their products.

Also very funny: Guys swearing excessively like you just did on this forum in the past refusing to use spoiler tags, because "nobody cares anyhow"

At least here on the news site, they add spoiler warnings and so do many game / movie reviewers that I follow...be it in articles or videos. What I truly used to hate is ppl coming out of the cinema spoiling the ending while you are in the queue to see it or ppl discussing it at work when you haven't seen it. Or yeah...ppl being asshats about it and even putting a spoiler into their forum headlines.
    I didn't say I don't care about spoilers the topic you are talking about was about Witcher 3 a game that is five years old and some people complained about me for putting spoiling it for them which is so irrelevant of this topic.

Is my English really that bad? or some folks here really missed the fucking point of this topic? I am not complaining about spoilers itself. I am complaining of how most companies release so many things related to their product (movies, tv shows, video games) before the official release. I don't mind one main trailer at all but just one why the multiple dizilions teaser and all that shit? I just don't get it.

Holy shit yes on movie trailers. So many trailers practically give the entire plot. Like every friken marvel film
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you that dense that you missed the fucking entire point of my topic?

The main thing is back in the days companies don't release billions of trailers and teasers about their new products either it is video game or tv show or movie. They just release one fucking main official trailer and thats it nothing else. No teasers no sneak peek no first 2 or 3 mins footage no crap like that. I am just complaining about the mentality of this modern trend which it is becoming more and more norm.

How is it my fault when random folks spoil things up in social media like in instagram, or random recommendation of youtube or any stuff like that. The excuse of "don't get into the internet" is not correct because there was an era where internet existed but people and companies don't spoil things out just for fucking hype.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't say I don't care about spoilers the topic you are talking about was about Witcher 3 a game that is five years old and some people complained about me for putting spoiling it for them which is so irrelevant of this topic.

Is my English really that bad? or some folks here really missed the fucking point of this topic? I am not complaining about spoilers itself. I am complaining of how most companies release so many things related to their product (movies, tv shows, video games) before the official release. I don't mind one main trailer at all but just one why the multiple dizilions teaser and all that shit? I just don't get it.
    what I'm hearing from you is the tears over what a company is doing with THEIR product. Is that not what your thread is about? Complaining to us gets you nowhere. We cant help you.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2020-05-30 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what I'm hearing from you is the tears over what a company is doing with THEIR product. Is that not what your thread is about? Complaining to us gets you nowhere. We cant help you.
    Are you that dense? I guess you can see my emotions from just text in the internet eh? if you fucking don't like this thread don't bother to post any reply really as simple as that. My point is that issue I am talking about wasn't as bad like 5 or 6 years ago yes it did existed but nowadays it is getting worse that is all. It is more of a statement and wondering not crying or tears or whatever you wanna call it mister "I joined this forum at 2012" if you don't like what I post youngster just get the fuck out of here really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you that dense? I guess you can see my emotions from just text in the internet eh? if you fucking don't like this thread don't bother to post any reply really as simple as that. My point is that issue I am talking about wasn't as bad like 5 or 6 years ago yes it did existed but nowadays it is getting worse that is all. It is more of a statement and wondering not crying or tears or whatever you wanna call it mister "I joined this forum at 2012" if you don't like what I post youngster just get the fuck out of here really.
    That's twice you've made that accusation, are you attempting to bait me? I get what you are crying about, what you clearly fail to understand is that its not your right to decide how much or how little is released. How is when someone joined MMOC relevant unless you are looking for a confrontation?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's twice you've made that accusation, are you attempting to bait me? I get what you are crying about, what you clearly fail to understand is that its not your right to decide how much or how little is released. How is when someone joined MMOC relevant unless you are looking for a confrontation?
    It is relevant indeed because it means you are new and you lack experience really. I bet you are born in the era of this modern trend of spoiling shit which explains why it is normal for you really. You haven't experienced what I am talking about when I said internet and companies existed back then without spoiling shit tons of their products really. I am not crying at all unless somehow you think writing in a random forum reflect the person emotions? if you think that? then you are even dumber than I thought which is explains why you don't get it at all. I am not crying I am just wondering why companies do that? that is all. When someone asking a question to public is your feeble dense mind automatically see it as "crying"?

I'm always baffled by this "anti-spoiler culture" we live in today. Does knowing the story really destroys your viewing/reading/gaming experience so much? Personally, I never cared one way or another, but to each his own I guess.

Though I wonder - have you never watched a movie or a tv show, based on a book that you previously read? Have you never watched a reboot/remake of your beloved movie/show? Have you never rewatched a movie/show, reread a book? Those would easily count as "spoilers", since you know most/entire story in these cases. And most people when asked that question, would reply that they have. And that knowing the story, in no way, shape, or form cheapened their experience the "second" time around. If anything, it enhances your experience, because instead of focusing your attention on the plot, you can actually appreciate all the little details that you might have missed the first time around. You focus on the journey, instead of the end result.

I mean, there are even experiments and researches done on this very subject, and pretty much everything supports the fact that spoilers actually IMPROVE your experience when watching/reading/playing things. Hell, since we're talking about trailers, whenever some trailer comes out, there's always so many people going "no no, i won't watch it, i don't want to spoil myself", and then...they go and watch it anyway. Because they LIKE spoilers, subconsciously perhaps, but they do. It's just that these loud "no spoilers" people brainwashed them into believing they should hate spoilers too.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...y-stories-more

Here's 5 seconds of googling to show what I've been saying, I'm sure you can find more if you care to.

Oh, and one thing I forgot - I don't it's that the spoilers themselves are the problem. I think that the problem is modern storytelling, which relies on "surprises" and "mysteries" and "plot twists" way too much, leaving the rest of the story so...bad, so uninteresting, that once you know most/all of the surprises, and twists, and answers, there's nothing left in the story to interest you. And that's the difference between bad, and good story. Bad story might be interesting thanks to some twists and surprises, but it gets boring after the first time (or after you've been spoiled). A good story on the other hand, even if you've been spoiled, or watched it many, many times before, is always as good (or even better) as the first time around.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is relevant indeed because it means you are new and you lack experience really. I bet you are born in the era of this modern trend of spoiling shit which explains why it is normal for you really. You haven't experienced what I am talking about when I said internet and companies existed back then without spoiling shit tons of their products really. I am not crying at all unless somehow you think writing in a random forum reflect the person emotions? if you think that? then you are even dumber than I thought which is explains why you don't get it at all. I am not crying I am just wondering why companies do that? that is all. When someone asking a question to public is your feeble dense mind automatically see it as "crying"?
    It's really unfortunate that you have deluded yourself into thinking you know more than you actually do. There are a few people around like myself that were born before Armstrong walked on the moon, which means you are likely young enough to be my child.

Because it works.Apparently it has been shown that people are more likely to watch a movie if they have been "spoiled", which, lets be real here, is most of the time just blatand exaggeration.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really unfortunate that you have deluded yourself into thinking you know more than you actually do. There are a few people around like myself that were born before Armstrong walked on the moon, which means you are likely young enough to be my child.
    Hah! guess again! you really don't know me. I indeed know more than you which is explains why your brain can't function and don't get why I even created this topic in the first place really. My main topic is about comparing how companies used to show case their products by releasing just one main trailers VS today era where companies releasing million of teasers and multiple trailers. But yeah you are too dense to understand and just see it as "crying and complaining" with you limited small brain you can't even think outside the box really.

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-05-30 at 09:17 PM.