Page 1 of 32
... LastLast

Got booted. Am I the bad guy?

Salute o7

So to start things off im still fairly convinced that I am in fact not the bad guy, but considering 12 people just told me i am a dick and only 1 guy was on my side I feel like sharing my story, or ranting, you name it.

After missing my guilds hc raid this week and sitting at ~4600 titan residium i decided to join a hc nyalotha raid to try grab any azerite piece for its scrap value. (my char is currently sitting at ilvl 475 so i dont need anything else in there) Vexiona dropped her headpiece and immideatly afterwards i got whispered by a hunter if i was so kind to trade it to him, considering i allready have Carapace Loot and would most likely not need it.

I declined and got called out in raid chat for being a selfish dick. At that point i was like i was like "eh, is that guy serious?" but people were kinda quick to side with him. Arguments were being made for me to just wait for next reset because i was sure to receive enough residium to just be guaranteed to buy a piece of gear that only had a chance to be an upgrade while our groups hunter was guaranteed an upgrade (if i traded him).

I pretty much did not react in chat, only thing i typed was that the sole reason i joined the raid in the first place was for a few shots at 200 residium so i could try get an upgrade at the azerite vendor. (i failed at that btw, not that it would matter)

Either way, raid leader (being premade with the hunter) told me to either give the headpiece to his hunter friend or be kicked. Told him that i still dont see a reason to to do so and got shafted. After being kicked one pala heal whispered me saying he would not even have a problem if i decided to keep the item for transmog purposes.

What are your thoughts? The group i joined were mostly randoms (4 guys from one guild) and still seemed to agree that i was being selfish.

Edit: a few things that people keep asking

1st: I did not know any of these people nor did i get informed about any loot rules or special purpose of the raid (like trying to catch up people that a behind on gear)

2nd: the exact echange between the hunter and me was the following:

https://imgur.com/IAZAcqQ

3rd: I did not initially pick this one up because frankly i did not matter to me, the hunter did fine for his gear, though he was the weakest DPS, and yes, he would have profited from the upgrade. DPS numbers (there was another hunter above me at 113k dps, i am #2 the hunter this post is about is #10) were:

https://imgur.com/d0VCUU4
    Last edited by Shango; 2020-05-31 at 02:42 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    How did you decline? Was it just "no"? You literally left out a huge piece in this story.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Debates like this are why personal loot exists. It's your loot, you earned it, you get to choose what to do with it. Would it have been nice to give it to the hunter? Sure. But ultimately it's your gear. You don't have any responsibility to give it to him.
    I also don't entirely blame the guy for kicking you though. He was doing the raid to try to gear his friend, and you stood in the way of that when you could have helped. I can see why he'd want people who are more receptive to his preferred way of doing things.
    Nobody's entirely in the wrong here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

He first asked me via whisper, i replied (also via whisper) telling him that the only reason that i joined the raid was for a shot at 200 residium because i was currently sitting at ~4,6k and trying to upgrade my chestpiece at the azerite vendor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shango View Post
    Salute o7

So to start things off im still fairly convinced that I am in fact not the bad guy, but considering 12 people just told me i am a dick and only 1 guy was on my side I feel like sharing my story, or ranting, you name it.

After missing my guilds hc raid this week and sitting at ~4600 titan residium i decided to join a hc nyalotha raid to try grab any azerite piece for its scrap value. (my char is currently sitting at ilvl 475 so i dont need anything else in there) Vexiona dropped her headpiece and immideatly afterwards i got whispered by a hunter if i was so kind to trade it to him, considering i allready have Carapace Loot and would most likely not need it.

I declined and got called out in raid chat for being a selfish dick. At that point i was like i was like "eh, is that guy serious?" but people were kinda quick to side with him. Arguments were being made for me to just wait for next reset because i was sure to receive enough residium to just be guaranteed to buy a piece of gear that only had a chance to be an upgrade while our groups hunter was guaranteed an upgrade (if i traded him).

I pretty much did not react in chat, only thing i typed was that the sole reason i joined the raid in the first place was for a few shots at 200 residium so i could try get an upgrade at the azerite vendor. (i failed at that btw, not that it would matter)

Either way, raid leader (being premade with the hunter) told me to either give the headpiece to his hunter friend or be kicked. Told him that i still dont see a reason to to do so and got shafted. After being kicked one pala heal whispered me saying he would not even have a problem if i decided to keep the item for transmog purposes.

What are your thoughts? The group i joined were mostly randoms (4 guys from one guild) and still seemed to agree that i was being selfish.
    thought PL was mean to prevent drama like this. But it seems that there are still those that believe they are entitled to other people's PL.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Its personal loot and if no loot rules were set at the beginning its yours if you want to keep it for any or no reason in a pug its yours. Too many people feel entitled to other peoples loot in a pug setting if they get a no they just need to move along.

The whole purpose of the personal loot system is that you decide what you do with your gear unless you agreed on different rules at start.

You are a little selfish, but that's understandable it's not your raid group. The raid leader and hunter were childish for bringing up that you already had the helm. I have 2 of every azerite from nwc for the sole purpose or different traits and specs. I'm with the paladin your entitled to your loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shango View Post
    Salute o7

What you choose to do with your loot its yours. You have no obligation to give it to anyone.
    Curoar, Arms Warrior of 15 years.

this is why you don't loot gear until you get to the mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Debates like this are why personal loot exists. It's your loot, you earned it, you get to choose what to do with it. Would it have been nice to give it to the hunter? Sure. But ultimately it's your gear. You don't have any responsibility to give it to him.
    I also don't entirely blame the guy for kicking you though. He was doing the raid to try to gear his friend, and you stood in the way of that when you could have helped. I can see why he'd want people who are more receptive to his preferred way of doing things.
    Nobody's entirely in the wrong here.
    I would see your point if the OP joined the pug with an already pre-disclosed condition that he would have to trade his loot if he didn't need it or that the raid leader was specifically doing it to get his friend gear. But if the RL only made it as a normal group and didn't mentioned that at all, he would be in the wrong here.

I don't know which is the case here, but it is an important part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    this is why you don't loot gear until you get to the mailbox.
    I cant disagree with this suggestion.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    How did you decline? Was it just "no"? You literally left out a huge piece in this story.
    No, he didn't. How he declined is literally of no importance. Is there a certain way you should decline someone? I don't even answer people if I get something I'm going to keep. If it upsets you, say goodbye to my overwhelmingly-above-everyone-else boss DPS and kick me. Good luck with the rest of your run, I'm certainly not going to have an issue finding another.

To OP - Sounds like a win-win to me. You got your residuum you needed, and you didn't have suffer through any more content with this group of folks. Pugs that feel entitled to drops because "YoU hAVe GeAr" is hands down the most entitled thing I've ever seen in this game. If I want to vendor it for the 50g I'm within my right to. You don't exist in this game to help gear up undergeared players. You already served your purpose by blasting their content for them.

Your loot, your choice, fuck everyone who thinks otherwise

I joined at Wrathion, although not on the first pull as there were allready skeletons on the floor when i joined. I did not get information about any loot rules or special purpose of the raid. I also traded a Torment in a Jar to a Demon Hunter in our raid earlier.

I think you were completely in the right here. If it drops for you it's your decision. Shard it, vendor it.. transmog. Doesn't matter. I mean if you're so geared you don't need items, you're technically already boosting them. There is nothing worse than entitled scrubs.

You were in the right.

When you join a PuG group the only loot rule the exists is what the game gives you: whoever gets the loot gets to decide what to do with it.
    Getting residuum is a perfectly valid reason to keep azerite pieces. Even transmog is a valid reason. You can even vendor it doesnt matter, it dropped for you.

As players we are not secondary reroll tokens for other players.

Nope, your loot your choice, simple as that. Only way you'd be the bad guy is if you started cursing at him just for asking if he could have it. You said you didn't do that, so nope, no issue here. I can see why they were annoyed, but that's the game. If it doesn't drop directly for you, you're not entitled to it. Simple as that.

I had the opposite experience, which is was a situation showing why PL was added. I was in a raid guild as a casual player once. We went on a fun run with a few of the raiders and the rest casuals clearing heroic. Our rule was we'd just roll out any loot that dropped. Then a trinket dropped that one of the raiders needed, although so did nearly all the casual players, but the raid leader just gave it to the raider without rolling it out. That caused all kinds of drama to the point where half the raid team left the guild and a bunch of casuals quit as they all thought it was unfair.

1. It's a pug who gives a shit?
    2. It's PL and he's not in your guild who gives a shit
    3. It's heroic and this guy is still gearing up he can wait a week
    4. If you shared it or vendored it I'd have thought you were a dick but it's going to be an up for your main

Basically the guy doesn't really have a leg to stand on and even if point 4 was true and he did, point 1 and 2 are still true and you will never see these people again and owe them nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    I had the opposite experience, which is was a situation showing why PL was added. I was in a raid guild as a casual player once. We went on a fun run with a few of the raiders and the rest casuals clearing heroic. Our rule was we'd just roll out any loot that dropped. Then a trinket dropped that one of the raiders needed, although so did nearly all the casual players, but the raid leader just gave it to the raider without rolling it out. That caused all kinds of drama to the point where half the raid team left the guild and a bunch of casuals quit as they all thought it was unfair.
    It's interesting this caused problems at all frankly. In my guild (which is a prog guild) ups went to raider mains first 100% of the time every time even on 'fun runs' with socials. Weird the RL had a stupid rule like 'just roll for it' when raiders still needed gear from the content in the first place.
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2020-05-30 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    1. It's a pug who gives a shit?
    2. It's PL and he's not in your guild who gives a shit
    3. It's heroic and this guy is still gearing up he can wait a week
    4. If you shared it or vendored it I'd have thought you were a dick but it's going to be an up for your main

Basically the guy doesn't really have a leg to stand on and even if point 4 was true and he did, point 1 and 2 are still true and you will never see these people again and owe them nothing.
    Right, just like they dont owe him and are fine to kick him.