View Poll Results: Do you trust your local police department?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes absolutely! They protect and serve me.

105 73.43%
  • Absolutely not! They dont protect nor serve me

29 20.28%
  • I dont have a local PD / I want the results.

9 6.29%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I rarely interact with the police.

The last time they just drove past me and (probably since I was walking with a confused look) they told me that I was not the one they were looking for, and continued to drive slowly.

Well, I'm a white male living in a predominately white neighbourhood...so for myself I have no reason not to trust them. I can't speak for their overall trustworthiness outside of that

I'm a white guy living in an area that has an overwhelming majority of white people and I went to high school with maybe a 1/4 of the current police force so yeah, I've nothing to worry about. That said, I'm not sure I'd hold the same opinion if I lived elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I'm a white guy living in an area that has an overwhelming majority of white people and I went to high school with maybe a 1/4 of the current police force so yeah, I've nothing to worry about. That said, I'm not sure I'd hold the same opinion if I lived elsewhere.
    Great minds and all that :P

I'm in America. I don't trust any level of our law enforcement. My local PD specifically has many documented instances of corruption and things always seem to happen to any one who challenges them, be it in media, legislation, or political challenges.

Granted I'm in a much smaller and more rural area that facilitates this kind of behavior. I'd probably be more inclined to trust some of the larger city law enforcement agencies given their track records. My state PD is more or less a group of government thugs with massive power and essentially no oversight.
    "Okay, Robin. Together, we're gonna punch these guys so hard, words describing the impact are gonna spontaneously materialize out of thin air."
    - Lego Batman

You should add an area breakdown to this. There is a large difference between people that live in cities and deal with city police and the people that live in rural areas that deal with local police (village, County police and Sheriffs). I trust my local police because I know a lot of them. They live here, you meet them in the day to day. I can see a big difference for people that live in cities with their, police should be local to their direct area and such and you never meet them off duty.

That's part of the problems we are dealing with now. City and rural are 2 different worlds and people in one or the other don't seem to understand that there is a big difference in how you live.

Not really. My local PD has had several killing controversies. I also have a bias because I knew a cop through family connections who was a complete asshole.

Yes, both here, in my holiday houses and in my hometown, mostly because all of my houses are protected by alarms directly connected with the police, and I have registered guns in each one of them, so I've been knowing them for a long time and they've never gave me reasons not to trust them. Most "trouble" I had with any of them was them not being up-to-date with gun laws, but nothing that a quick phone call to their superiors wasn't able to fix /w no hard feelings whatsoever. Some of them are range buddies.
    It's perhaps worth noting that I'm a "Swisstalian" double national, not an American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

We had a preventative curfew last night and the only incident was police breaking the windows of a parked car for no reason. So on the whole, no, I don't trust them, but in dealing with a single officer I would give them the benefit of the doubt in an individual setting. Just the standard, "can't trust the group but the individuals might be OK".
    /s

Aside from a couple of those random license/safety checkpoints that they sometimes set up, and a couple of times where I've had to call 911 (one to report an accident, one to report a dangerous driver who appeared to be drunk), I've never really had to deal with the local cops.

I've only ever received two speeding tickets (in about 20 years that I've been driving regularly, so I guess that's a fairly good record), and those were both state troopers (one in my home state, one in a different state), so I they don't really count as "local" cops. The one in a different state was a massive dickhead, but I can say I never felt threatened or anything during the stop.
    Last edited by Cidzor; 2020-06-03 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    never dick crazy.
    unless they have tentacles and more then 2 eyes.

I live in a small but ethnically diverse city--police is pretty good and is engaged with the community. The larger the force gets, it seems, the more problematic they become. Maybe because they have to fill the ranks and low-lifes can get in. The neighboring city, just on the other side of the river, is larger and has had issues with their police and tactics.

Police have been always there to solve problems. I trust in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordcuasa5 View Post
    Police have been always there to solve problems. I trust in them.

Police are the problem. ACAB.
    Quote Originally Posted by White America View Post
    I have no obligation to condemn racists. You ideologues on the other hand, are an actual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Police are the problem. ACAB.
    And what do you sugest? Ending with the Police Systhem and turn to anarchy? If you haven't noticed, those protesters are causing more deaths then the Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    And what do you sugest? Ending with the Police Systhem and turn to anarchy? If you haven't noticed, those protesters are causing more deaths then the Police.
    Have an "Abolish the Police" starter kit.

I have no obligation to condemn racists. You ideologues on the other hand, are an actual problem.

Have an "Abolish the Police" starter kit.
    You are free to wish whatever you want for your country, i have nothing to do with it, all i can say is that i don't want an anarchist systhem for my country.

It really depends on the local PD/SD.

Last place I lived in had useless PD/SD. I lived in a technically unincorporated area that was still pretty heavily suburban, car got broken into 3 times, last time the cockroach left blood all over my passenger seat. I called the local sheriff, since there's no PD here, and they don't even bother to send out units for car break-ins or other thefts. We're in the midst of a really bad opioid problem here, and junkies were running pretty much rampant in that area. All they had me do was fill out ...an online report, from which I never heard anything back.

Moving over to a more rural area, haven't had much interaction with the local LEOs, but last year there was an incident where they shot a local Native American man at the 4th of July event. But that wasn't a clear-cut case of police abuse like the Floyd murder was.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

You are free to wish whatever you want for your country, i have nothing to do with it, all i can say is that i don't want an anarchist systhem for my country.
    Cool, no one is recommending that. Cut it out with the strawman.

Cool, no one is recommending that.
    Then who would enforce the law?

Take this example, i suppose car insurances are mandatory in the US, as much as they are here. Who would controll that? Currently that is a job of traffic police. If you thinking that everyone is obediant to the law, then i'm affraid that you wrong and that without a police force there would be a lot more abuses then we currently have. Without a police, everyone would be able to do whatever they wished, that is nothing else then the fundamentation for an anarchist systhem, i'm sorry.

Then who would enforce the law?
    Six Ideas for a Cop Free World

1. Unarmed mediation and intervention teams.
    2. The decriminalization of almost every nonviolent crime.
    3. Restorative justice.
    4. Direct democracy at the community level.
    5. Community patrols.
    6. Actual fucking mental healthcare.