View Poll Results: Do you trust your local police department?

Voters
143. This poll is closed
  • Yes absolutely! They protect and serve me.

105 73.43%
  • Absolutely not! They dont protect nor serve me

29 20.28%
  • I dont have a local PD / I want the results.

9 6.29%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Yes, both here, in my holiday houses and in my hometown, mostly because all of my houses are protected by alarms directly connected with the police, and I have registered guns in each one of them, so I've been knowing them for a long time and they've never gave me reasons not to trust them. Most "trouble" I had with any of them was them not being up-to-date with gun laws, but nothing that a quick phone call to their superiors wasn't able to fix /w no hard feelings whatsoever. Some of them are range buddies.
    It's perhaps worth noting that I'm a "Swisstalian" double national, not an American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    We had a preventative curfew last night and the only incident was police breaking the windows of a parked car for no reason. So on the whole, no, I don't trust them, but in dealing with a single officer I would give them the benefit of the doubt in an individual setting. Just the standard, "can't trust the group but the individuals might be OK".
    /s

I live in a small but ethnically diverse city--police is pretty good and is engaged with the community. The larger the force gets, it seems, the more problematic they become. Maybe because they have to fill the ranks and low-lifes can get in. The neighboring city, just on the other side of the river, is larger and has had issues with their police and tactics.

Police have been always there to solve problems. I trust in them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordcuasa5 View Post
    Police have been always there to solve problems. I trust in them.

Police are the problem. ACAB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Police are the problem. ACAB.
    And what do you sugest? Ending with the Police Systhem and turn to anarchy? If you haven't noticed, those protesters are causing more deaths then the Police.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    And what do you sugest? Ending with the Police Systhem and turn to anarchy? If you haven't noticed, those protesters are causing more deaths then the Police.
    Have an "Abolish the Police" starter kit.

The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have an "Abolish the Police" starter kit.
    You are free to wish whatever you want for your country, i have nothing to do with it, all i can say is that i don't want an anarchist systhem for my country.

It really depends on the local PD/SD.

Last place I lived in had useless PD/SD. I lived in a technically unincorporated area that was still pretty heavily suburban, car got broken into 3 times, last time the cockroach left blood all over my passenger seat. I called the local sheriff, since there's no PD here, and they don't even bother to send out units for car break-ins or other thefts. We're in the midst of a really bad opioid problem here, and junkies were running pretty much rampant in that area. All they had me do was fill out ...an online report, from which I never heard anything back.

Moving over to a more rural area, haven't had much interaction with the local LEOs, but last year there was an incident where they shot a local Native American man at the 4th of July event. But that wasn't a clear-cut case of police abuse like the Floyd murder was.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are free to wish whatever you want for your country, i have nothing to do with it, all i can say is that i don't want an anarchist systhem for my country.
    Cool, no one is recommending that. Cut it out with the strawman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, no one is recommending that.
    Then who would enforce the law?

Take this example, i suppose car insurances are mandatory in the US, as much as they are here. Who would controll that? Currently that is a job of traffic police. If you thinking that everyone is obediant to the law, then i'm affraid that you wrong and that without a police force there would be a lot more abuses then we currently have. Without a police, everyone would be able to do whatever they wished, that is nothing else then the fundamentation for an anarchist systhem, i'm sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then who would enforce the law?
    Six Ideas for a Cop Free World

1. Unarmed mediation and intervention teams.
    2. The decriminalization of almost every nonviolent crime.
    3. Restorative justice.
    4. Direct democracy at the community level.
    5. Community patrols.
    6. Actual fucking mental healthcare.

In Canada here cops are pretty chill.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Unarmed mediation and intervention teams.
    Well, Brits already have unarmed police officers on the streets, so why not?

2. The decriminalization of almost every nonviolent crime.
    The paradise for tax evaders.

3. Restorative justice.
    I had to google it, it looks just like the first ever implement law, Tabellion's Law, wich just stated this ''an eye for an eye, a theeth for a theeth'', this law didn't worked quite well for obvious reasons, being the first, the fact that you could claim an eye from anyone that had judged you.

4. Direct democracy at the community level.
    Cities here in Portugal already have that, they called Parishes (Juntas de Freguesia).

5. Community patrols.
    Leed by who? By local residents, that often became as bad, or worst the Police?

6. Actual fucking mental healthcare.
    Why not? Mental care its free in a lot of countries, including mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Brits already unarmed police officers on the streets, so why not?
    Police are not mediation and intervention teams.

And no, British police manage to be plenty brutal without being armed. The problem is the idea of traditional policing.

The paradise for tax evaders.
    Do you not know what the word "almost" means?

Also, do you not know what "decriminalize" means? Something can be illegal but not be criminal.

I had to google it, it looks just like the first ever implement law, Tabellion's Law, wich just stated this ''an eye for an eye, a theeth for a theeth'', this law didn't worked quite well for obvious reasons, being the first, the fact that you could claim an eye from anyone that had judged you
    Or you could have just read the fucking article.

"Also known as reparative or transformative justice, these models represent an alternative to courts and jails. From hippie communes to the IRA and anti-Apartheid South African guerrillas to even some U.S. cities like Philadelphia’s experiment with community courts, spaces are created where accountability is understood as a community issue and the entire community, along with the so-called perpetrator and the victim of a given offense, try to restore and even transform everyone in the process. It has also been used uninterrupted by indigenous and Afro-descendant communities like San Basilio de Palenque in Colombia for centuries, and it remains perhaps the most widespread and far-reaching of the alternatives to the adversarial court system."

Cities here in Portugal already have that, they called Parishes (Juntas de Freguesia).
    Cool, most places don't.

Leed by who? By local residents, that often became as bad, or worst the Police?
    Citation needed.

Local residents are keyed in to issues that cause crime in a way that traditional police departments are not. They are also significantly more accountable by virtue of being local residents.

Why not? Mental care its free in a lot of countries, including mine.
    The point being it is not in many places and the police are used as an alternative.

Again, it's almost like you didn't read the article. Shocker.

They are doing a fine job keeping the trash emm i mean violent criminals of the streets. Could use more recources and funding though and more prisons with so many criminals around and the prisons full also longer sentences to keep them away more some are quite the joke here and they are out in no time.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    They are doing a fine job keeping the trash emm i mean violent criminals of the streets. Could use more recources and funding though and more prisons with so many criminals around and the prisons full also longer sentences to keep them away more some are quite the joke here and they are out in no time.
    Please provide evidence that more police means less crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Police are not mediation and intervention teams.

And no, British police manage to be plenty brutal without being armed. The problem is the idea of traditional policing.
    Traditional policing? Could you define that? Back in the XIX century most places didn't had any police force, and things were a lot more violent, you just need to watch an old (i admit, normally exagerated) western movie.

Do you not know what the word "almost" means?

Also, do you not know what "decriminalize" means? Something can be illegal but not be criminal.
    And you asking that to a portuguese guys? For god's sake, we were the first country in the world to decriminalize the use of drugs, except the systhem doesn't work like you think. Dealers always end in jail as it is supposed to.

Or you could have just read the fucking article.

"Also known as reparative or transformative justice, these models represent an alternative to courts and jails. From hippie communes to the IRA and anti-Apartheid South African guerrillas to even some U.S. cities like Philadelphia’s experiment with community courts, spaces are created where accountability is understood as a community issue and the entire community, along with the so-called perpetrator and the victim of a given offense, try to restore and even transform everyone in the process. It has also been used uninterrupted by indigenous and Afro-descendant communities like San Basilio de Palenque in Colombia for centuries, and it remains perhaps the most widespread and far-reaching of the alternatives to the adversarial court system."
    The jeovah's have a similar systhem, were the Elders are supposed to deal with the infractors, guess what? They normally don't do a shit, because they can't put him in jail, which means the infractor normally keeps doing is shit. The systhem only works if the infractor is aware that is has done something wrong, in real life, most of those that are taken to court only want to clear their own skin.

Citation needed.

Local residents are keyed in to issues that cause crime in a way that traditional police departments are not. They are also significantly more accountable by virtue of being local residents.
    So, militias... Right, just unleash the uneducated orcs into the streets.

The point being it is not in many places and the police are used as an alternative.
    I don't know how it works in your country, here, if necessary the police will take people with mental problems to the local psychiatric hospital, its part of their job anyway, that is why the mental healthcare systhem is free, some people with problems wouldn't be able to afford it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, militias... Right, just unleash the uneducated orcs into the streets.
    Nice dogwhistle, but I saw Bright too. Ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice dogwhistle, but I saw Bright too. Ignored.
    Militias always end the same way, with sameone being spanked, often to death, i've seen this happen here.