Windows 10 recent Edge update

So today my computer booted to a "the new Edge is here" screen. Instinctively I tried to close it but the "cross" did not work. Then right clicked the icon in the task bar, pressed close and the window stayed open. I guess I could have done a ctrl-alt-del kill process but for some reason I went through the steps, it asked me the usual stuff, import bookmarks etc.. at the end it opened up the browser, just out of curiosity I did a few quick site visits and for some reason was impressed. I have been using Firefox for ages, then used Chrome for ages just to get away from IE and never really gave Edge an honest go. But it worked fast, automatically installed all the extensions I also use on Chrome, it seems to have at least all the things I like from Chrome and at first glance some extra functionality. Now I'll give it more of a real test in the coming days but... I never expected Edge to work so well.. anyone else feel the same after actually giving it a go? Did it change a lot with this update (for those that have been using it a long while now) .. was it crap before and good now or always been good? Not sure what to think but yea.. impressed.

I've been beta testing the Chromium version of Edge and it's become my default browser. The only downside at the moment for me is it's missing a password generator. Everything else has been superior for me.

I also clicked trough the stuff until it let me actually close the thing.

I have no intention to switch or even try. My policy is that I will not change until its neccessary. Firefox does certain things that matter better than chrome (better addons for things I want).

No idea of edge, but I see no reason to try going to fix things that dont need fixing. I have chrome installed on my pc as a backup "fresh" browser without addons in case something doesnt work right and cant make it work right on firefox. I guess edge is the backup of backup browser?

It's basically a Chrome clone. I actually hoped to see more IE features in there that I liked, but they were phasing those out anyway in recent years. Honestly I don't like any of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    New edge is running Chromium which is basically just light-weight Chrome.

It's very problematic for me

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm having issues with it when starting up the computer as well. my load times from boot up to ready to go went from about under 5 minutes to 10-15 minutes. wtf did they put on this update? (i'm referring more to the 2004 update not the edge update.)
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

It scans your PC to see any pirated video !

Microsoft got billions $$$ from movie makers.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i'm having issues with it when starting up the computer as well. my load times from boot up to ready to go went from about under 5 minutes to 10-15 minutes. wtf did they put on this update? (i'm referring more to the 2004 update not the edge update.)
    You seriously need to clean up that machine. The machine i just refurbed boots to a useable desktop in 2 minutes on a regular HDD. Even the 5 minutes you were previously seeing is way too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn i am glad i havent updated my windows for few years now (win 10).

I refuse to use a browser made by windows.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

Windows is not a company, and not updating your OS in the modern era is moronic.

As far as it goes, its Chromium, which is open source.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I seized back control using W10Privacy and use Firefox with Chrome as my backup. Microsofts tactics to control people using their software are just infuriating. You only went through with it because you thought it would be quicker than trying to kill it in task manager? That really says it all, lol.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2020-06-10 at 11:23 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Time to invest in some stock in a tin foil company, i see.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    It's basically a Chrome clone.
    It is not only a Chrome clone it is Chrome, it is actually Chromium with the Microsoft Logo on it :-D so it is double botnet. You can still use ungoogled Chromium. But I am not sure if it works on Windows (GNU/Linux user here)

github . com/Eloston/ungoogled - chromium

Sorry can't post links, just remove the spaces
    Last edited by kodemonkee; 2020-06-11 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

Damn you have worms.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You seriously need to clean up that machine. The machine i just refurbed boots to a useable desktop in 2 minutes on a regular HDD. Even the 5 minutes you were previously seeing is way too long.
    eh i probably do but the fact that it increased my load times by 100-200% is alarming. 5 minutes is on the slow end. sometimes it's as low as 3/4 minutes. should probably clear out my cache. but not sure why this update would fuck with my loading times like this. it's also showing signs of slowdown after i boot up and this didn't happen before the update so i'm almost certain this has something to do with it. really don't want to have to clean install for a update i have a backup from several weeks ago so im wondering if i could just revert back to that. also my soundtek audio manager has disappeared. it only pops up now when i unplug and replug in my headphones. the executables for it from the menu system in the c: path no longer function after the update.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Damn you have worms.
    I update the security (not the features).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    eh i probably do but the fact that it increased my load times by 100-200% is alarming. 5 minutes is on the slow end. sometimes it's as low as 3/4 minutes. should probably clear out my cache. but not sure why this update would fuck with my loading times like this. it's also showing signs of slowdown after i boot up and this didn't happen before the update so i'm almost certain this has something to do with it. really don't want to have to clean install for a update i have a backup from several weeks ago so im wondering if i could just revert back to that. also my soundtek audio manager has disappeared. it only pops up now when i unplug and replug in my headphones. the executables for it from the menu system in the c: path no longer function after the update.
    Windows probaly installed stock drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I've been beta testing the Chromium version of Edge and it's become my default browser. The only downside at the moment for me is it's missing a password generator. Everything else has been superior for me.
    Cant you just use something like Last Pass since it's Chromium based?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    It is not only a Chrome clone it is Chrome, it is actually Chromium with the Microsoft Logo on it :-D so it is double botnet. You can still use ungoogled Chromium. But I am not sure if it works on Windows (GNU/Linux user here)

github . com/Eloston/ungoogled - chromium

Sorry can't post links, just remove the spaces
    From a technical standpoint both are based on Chromium, it's just that Chrome is the most popular Chromium browser. There's various differences under the hood. Both (Edge and Chrome) are designed to get you to use their other products. Both are probably full of privacy issues.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Cant you just use something like Last Pass since it's Chromium based?
    I do. I go to the Lastpass page, auto generate and copy and paste. Chrome has intelligence that recognizes most password fields and prompts for an auto-generated, random password and stores it for you. Or, if it doesn't recognize the field, has a right-click > auto generate password option. Due to previous LastPass breaches, I'm weary of using them as a service or extension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I do. I go to the Lastpass page, auto generate and copy and paste. Chrome has intelligence that recognizes most password fields and prompts for an auto-generated, random password and stores it for you. Or, if it doesn't recognize the field, has a right-click > auto generate password option. Due to previous LastPass breaches, I'm weary of using them as a service or extension.
    I mean password managers in general.

I like Bitwarden myself.

Resident Cosplay Progressive