Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How would you ensure a reduction in police abuse?

Say you were given absolute power, how would you change or what would you change so that people aren't abused by the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Say you were given absolute power, how would you change or what would you change so that people aren't abused by the police?
    i would suggest people to stop commiting crimes - like robbing shops and making riots that destroy other people's property

and go to work instead live of crime.

this would instantly help

imo police should use even more force and dont f...ck around when dealing with criminals. bullet in the head instead leg or arm of criminal saves ton of tax money that could go towards healthcare and education system and better society as whole

a month ago if someone said i would support trump opinion in something i would tell them that they are crazy - but i do support his claims that governors in US should use much more force to deal with current riots
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-06-05 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

10+ Year Old Account
    Abolish traditional police forces, but here's a list of alternative reforms:

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    - Demilitarization of law enforcement. There is absolutely no reason why local and state police departments need military surplus gear, tanks, or fatigues. They need to look like approachable public servants rather than an occupying army.

- All officers must wear body cameras during active duty. If there is any tampering or shutoff before or during any police action, that should result in immediate termination.

- Abolish qualified immunity for police, and any deference for prior law enforcement service in consideration of future offenses.

- Establish a federal database of cops that have committed any kind of misconduct that is shared with all law enforcement agencies nationwide. People on this list should not be consideration as candidates for law enforcement officers anywhere.

- Mandatory racial sensitivity training on a monthly basis administered by minority presenters, with written (non multiple choice) tests that they must pass on a regular basis to continue their employment.

- Establish a 'three strikes' rule for any violation of said racial sensitivity training. The same already applies to marksmanship, it should also apply to social training.

- Mandatory psychiatric evaluations on a quarterly basis to ensure officers are of sound mind and have healthy relationships with their families, peers, superiors, and the community. Red flags need to be taken seriously and officers suspected to be suffering from stress related conditions need to be given therapeutic treatment. Failure to follow such should result in automatic suspension until such time as they comply; continued noncompliance should result in termination.

- Mandatory psychiatric evaluations every time an officer discharges their firearm in the line of duty, as above.

- Any time an officer kills an unarmed civilian or suspect, whether on or off duty, should be automatically suspended (with pay) pending an independent investigation of events. If there is evidence that suggests the officer acted improperly, that suspension is changed to without pay and are put under restrictions similar to parole. They receive all back pay if they are cleared of wrongdoing. If the investigation does NOT clear the officer, the officer skips a grand jury and is immediately jailed pending trial.

- Mandatory suspension (per the above) for excessive force, with a three strikes policy.

- Officers are made mandated reporters like teachers and doctors. If you fail to report a colleague for violation of the law, you are automatically fired and placed on the law enforcement misconduct database.

- Start applying effectiveness ratings at police departments like we do for schools, based on; low racial bias/profiling, diversity in the police force, community satisfaction, low incidents of excessive force, quick response time, % of processed rape kits in the evaluation time frame, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't give police special rights and don't have the police investigate the police.
    Extra scrutiny and accomplice charges for everyone who even tries to keep bad cops from being prosecuted.
    Get law enforcement to work with communities not against them, maybe look into how other countries are doing shit and try to copy the stuff that works based on studies and information.
    Have actual training and background checks for police officers, combined with a sufficient paycheck.
    Oh and stop becoming top law-enforcement officers be a fucking popularity contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Acid. Lots and lots of acid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    imo police should use even more force and dont f...ck around when dealing with criminals. bullet in the head instead leg or arm of criminal saves ton of tax money that could go towards healthcare and education system and better society as whole

a month ago if someone said i would support trump opinion in something i would tell them that they are crazy - but i do support his claims that governors in US should use much more force to deal with current riots
    Ah yes, the best way to reduce police abuse is to make them judge, jury, and executioner and ENCOURAGE them to escalate and act with impunity. Seriously, how big of an idiot does one have to be to believe that would make things better?

Police needs to be accountable to things they do. Earlier poster said some good ideas. Police is needed. You can't neuter them. What you need to do is to make it so that shit like what is happening now doesn't happen.

Giving police any more power is not a good idea. I don't think anyone wants a your police to be a judge dredd.

In america police sucks because they got bad training and every idiot owns a gun so cops feel the need to use max force because they could have a gun.

Look at other countries like germany and how few cases of police abuse happen here. Remove guns of people and give proper training to cops. And hold cops accountable for the crimes they commit but also give them extra protection from abuse by people too.

Well, apparently in the USA police is not held accountable for their actions, so I'd change that. If a cop fires his gun here, there's a whole investigation set in motion to check if it was justified, and if it's not, the cop gets in real trouble. Same for any other police violence. How can a cop with 18 complaints against him be out in the field, killing a suspect? If it wasn't bad enough to get fired or convicted, they'd at least be on desk duty for the rest of their career here.

Also, police here is trained for years before they become cops. Sounds completely logical to us, but apparently not so in the USA. Change that too.

Third, most important thing here is always DE-ESCALATE a situation. Disturbed individual waving a knife at you? Don't shoot him, talk him down. Works almost every time. Only use violence as a last resort. No need for cops to be in full military gear either. We have specialized units for that, who get even more training to learn how to NOT USE VIOLENCE, unless absolutely unavoidable. Try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Ah yes, the best way to reduce police abuse is to make them judge, jury, and executioner and ENCOURAGE them to escalate and act with impunity. Seriously, how big of an idiot does one have to be to believe that would make things better?
    works well in asia look how efficiently they dealt with quarantine.

lets take for example china - with their "social points " system - most people are happy about it - wish they implement it in EU too

most of population are obidient boring types which will be perfecly happy in a dystopian society

why do i support police ? because i live my boring everyday life in boring society , enjoying my job and free time in non crime way -and i want them to protect this way of living its really nice

i gotta admit i enjoy not having to worry about ghettos etc in my city because my country decided against taking in "doctors and engieeners " from middle east
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2020-06-04 at 09:59 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    works well in asia look how efficiently they dealt with quarantine.

lets take for example china - with their "social points " system - most people are happy about it - wish they implement it in EU too

most of population are obidient boring types which will be perfecly happy in a dystopian society

why do i support police ? because i live my boring everyday life in boring society , enjoying my job and free time in non crime way -and i want them to protect this way of living its really nice

i gotta admit i enjoy not having to worry about ghettos etc in my city because my country decided against taking in "doctors and engieeners " from middle east
    Ok, whatever part of the world you're from, you're ignoring all the bad stuff so you can live a happy life, well done.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Ok, whatever part of the world you're from, you're ignoring all the bad stuff so you can live a happy life, well done.
    yup . its fun to live such slow life my biggest worry in last couple of months (besides covid and related to it problems in work ) was that i suddenly run out of washer fluid in my car

Educate Cops, prosecute their crimes and be transparent about it. Not that hard, honestly.

15+ Year Old Account
    yup . its fun to live such slow life my biggest worry in last couple of months (besides covid and related to it problems in work ) was that i suddenly run out of washer fluid in my car
    Good for you to be born in such a wonderful place at such a peaceful time, keep spitting on the graves of those who sacrificed their lives for your safety.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demilitarise the police.

Common cops do not need things such as APCs readily available to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Well, apparently in the USA police is not held accountable for their actions, so I'd change that. If a cop fires his gun here, there's a whole investigation set in motion to check if it was justified, and if it's not, the cop gets in real trouble. Same for any other police violence. How can a cop with 18 complaints against him be out in the field, killing a suspect? If it wasn't bad enough to get fired or convicted, they'd at least be on desk duty for the rest of their career here.

Also, police here is trained for years before they become cops. Sounds completely logical to us, but apparently not so in the USA. Change that too.

Third, most important thing here is always DE-ESCALATE a situation. Disturbed individual waving a knife at you? Don't shoot him, talk him down. Works almost every time. Only use violence as a last resort. No need for cops to be in full military gear either. We have specialized units for that, who get even more training to learn how to NOT USE VIOLENCE, unless absolutely unavoidable. Try that.
    This...

We need the police to enforce the law, they are needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something a lot of Americans don't want to hear because this is so ingrained in their psyches, but how about following Australias example and seriously sorting out your gun problem.

Guns in america and how easy it is to get one is one of the major reasons your police there are so trigger happy, because when everyone else could be carrying a gun, that makes cops more likely to pull out a weapon and shoot.

In the uk we have knife crime, and some stupid idiot heres going to say 'hurr, why don't you get rid of knives then?!', except the reason they use knives is because they can't get ahold of guns with any ease and knives are tools of multiple practicalities while guns only serve one purpose, to kill.

It's as I say, in America guns are so ingrained in your guys psyche, that even those Among you who know it would be better to get rid of them you simply can't because it's so ingrained in you. I think even south parks mocked this mentality you have there.

It be a major stepping stone to solving a lot of issues you have over there. But I'm guessing that's to big of a change for you to accept
    #boycottchina

Yeah, I suppose that explains why everything you say seems to come from a position of privilege and ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Something a lot of Americans don't want to hear because this is so ingrained in their psyches, but how about following Australias example and seriously sorting out your gun problem.

Guns in america and how easy it is to get one is one of the major reasons your police there are so trigger happy, because when everyone else could be carrying a gun, that makes cops more likely to pull out a weapon and shoot.

In the uk we have knife crime, and some stupid idiot heres going to say 'hurr, why don't you get rid of knives then?!', except the reason they use knives is because they can't get ahold of guns with any ease and knives are tools of multiple practicalities while guns only serve one purpose, to kill.

It's as I say, in America guns are so ingrained in your guys psyche, that even those Among you who know it would be better to get rid of them you simply can't because it's so ingrained in you. I think even south parks mocked this mentality you have there.

It be a major stepping stone to solving a lot of issues you have over there. But I'm guessing that's to big of a change for you to accept
    Yeah, the issue isn't just police shootings, it's police brutality in general. And as I'm sure as any Aboriginal Australian or immigrant of color in Queensland or god forbid the Northern Territory would be aware, police don't need guns to exercise brutality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Yeah, the issue isn't just police shootings, it's police brutality in general. And as I'm sure as any Aboriginal Australian or immigrant of color in Queensland or god forbid the Northern Territory would be aware, police don't need guns to exercise brutality.
    See this is what I mean when I say it's engrained in your psyches, your trying to deflect to any other reason just so you don't have to consider it as part of the problem you guys have. Let's blame one aspect of your society through a lens rather then looking at everything as a whole

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Australia has an industrial prison complex. Private security companies with atrocious records hold many prison contracts.

Australia also has incredibly racist cops.

The social and economic harm of a prison system where profit is possible is pervasive.

The UK also has similar problems.

There is brutality and injustice rife throughout both their justice systems. There really is no gold standard.
    And yet it's still better then your system.
    #boycottchina