Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Open racism on MMOC

    Over the past few days I've seen a genuinely shocking number of people either posting responses to or creating threads about the BLM movement which would be perfectly at home on Stormfront.

    Honestly, more needs to be done. It's absolutely appalling that these threads go for multiple pages without being shut down, and the fact that there's been no official warning posted as yet that it won't be tolerated really seems to contribute to a culture which openly encourages the dissemination of what effectively amounts to eugenicist rhetoric.

    Anyone with some knowledge of moderation know what the solution is here? I mean this is supposed to be a discussion board about video games, and yet on a daily basis it's used for far-right propaganda. I don't know what the practical solution is, but there's clearly a very big problem here with what's deemed even remotely acceptable.

  2. #2
    Any chance we can just... not talk politics on these forums?

    Or at least keep such things in "Off topic" and not the general wow section

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    Over the past few days I've seen a genuinely shocking number of people either posting responses to or creating threads about the BLM movement which would be perfectly at home on Stormfront.

    Honestly, more needs to be done. It's absolutely appalling that these threads go for multiple pages without being shut down, and the fact that there's been no official warning posted as yet that it won't be tolerated really seems to contribute to a culture which openly encourages the dissemination of what effectively amounts to eugenicist rhetoric.

    Anyone with some knowledge of moderation know what the solution is here? I mean this is supposed to be a discussion board about video games, and yet on a daily basis it's used for far-right propaganda. I don't know what the practical solution is, but there's clearly a very big problem here with what's deemed even remotely acceptable.
    It's the weekend, there's barely any moderational activity on weekends.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Any chance we can just... not talk politics on these forums?

    Or at least keep such things in "Off topic" and not the general wow section
    Yeah to be fair, I just reported my own post after realising the section it's in. Sadly there's no option to delete - I looked.

  5. #5
    Elemental Lord Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    8,411
    Private message the moderators and get the answer straight from them. You're just baiting and looking for attention.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Any chance we can just... not talk politics on these forums?

    Or at least keep such things in "Off topic" and not the general wow section
    This right here, i know some people just have the uncontrollable urge to talk politics, but keep it to the section for it please.

  7. #7
    In addition to an ignore list we should have a racist list too so we can mark down people who make racist statements and make fun of them.

  8. #8
    Race is supposedly a banned topic of discussion.

  9. #9
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    36,073
    This started most obviously years ago and became more and more obvious and worse as the forum banned race topics.

    There were times the front page of odd topic mirrored storm front. A screen shot was posted about this before.

    This forum unlike most didn’t take a stand against racism. They decided to just pretend racism isn’t a thing we should talk about because it leads to arguments with racists... and apparently they want to retain racists in this site.

    On most forums pming a person calling them ni**er TWICE. On two separate occasions would be a permanent ban, but not here...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Private message the moderators and get the answer straight from them. You're just baiting and looking for attention.
    No I'm really not. Clearly whatever is currently being done isn't working or it wouldn't be so prevalent. I genuinely think at this point that crowdsourcing for a solution isn't such a bad idea because I'm done with it completely. Free speech is one thing, giving a platform to people like the troll account above with a single post claiming that "Maybe Stormfront is right about some things" is another entirely.

    It was bad before, but right now it's got completely out of hand.

  11. #11
    Please stop mmo-c, please don’t ban people for disagreeing with the groupthink. This is a forum for WORLD OF WARCRAFT not a political blog. If you look through the comments of Blizzard deciding to cancel their stream on the 9th, all they get is flame. People flock here and to WoW to escape, not to be thrown in with this bullshit. I’m all for the mods killing race talk entirely here.

  12. #12
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    79
    i agree, they just use black people as a way to show they are tolerant to others and in the meanwhile those who claim to stand against racism express racist views about asians and white people. bunch of racists.

  13. #13
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,773
    Is it racism or just things that you don't agree with because of your own bias? Or is it that you are perpetually offended by what they have to say despite somewhere in the back of your mind, that little voice is telling you that they might be right on some things? I've not once seen any blatant form of racism on this website unless it was posted by some low post count troll account intentionally trying to bait people. Not everything people says is racist, and it's laughable how much people read into what others say and then screech like little children about it.

  14. #14
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    15,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Is it racism or just things that you don't agree with because of your own bias? Or is it that you are perpetually offended by what they have to say despite somewhere in the back of your mind, that little voice is telling you that they might be right on some things? I've not once seen any blatant form of racism on this website unless it was posted by some low post count troll account intentionally trying to bait people. Not everything people says is racist, and it's laughable how much people read into what others say and then screech like little children about it.
    Ya if you haven’t seen any racism that you must not use the forum a lot.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciWarr View Post
    Please stop mmo-c, please don’t ban people for disagreeing with the groupthink. This is a forum for WORLD OF WARCRAFT not a political blog. If you look through the comments of Blizzard deciding to cancel their stream on the 9th, all they get is flame. People flock here and to WoW to escape, not to be thrown in with this bullshit. I’m all for the mods killing race talk entirely here.
    You do realise that deciding to ignore politics is also a choice, right? What was that WWII poem again?

    I would also like to not be confronted with open hate speech whenever I visit these boards, and yet every day I see it. That's my point. The reality is that at the moment, people feel perfectly comfortable posting awful shit on here, and it needs to be stopped. If it wasn't happening, I wouldn't be bringing it up.

  16. #16
    Merely a Setback Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The one and only, Evolving Azeroth! (and Sweden)
    Posts
    26,643
    Download uBlock or Adblock.

    Go to this post on the forum: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post51127791

    Add those lines into your adblocker, and now you can put racists and idiots on ignore and never see them ever again. It's magic!
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚ ゚・⭑
    Number of retail servers listed at High/Full in EU alone; 79.
    That's up by 13 since I last counted them in 8.2, and more than Classic has in total server count. Retail servers have higher pop capacity. Just a note to combat "ClAsSiC hAs AlL TeH PlAyErS"-derps.

  17. #17
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Moriati View Post
    i agree, they just use black people as a way to show they are tolerant to others and in the meanwhile those who claim to stand against racism express racist views about asians and white people. bunch of racists.
    It's called intersectionality. Self deprecating white people using racism against themselves are probably the worst, and hypocritical when they think it's acceptable to be racist towards Asians yet get buttmad when people call them out for it. I don't hate myself for being white, but I certainly have a distaste for what our ancestors did to people of colour, and what continues to happen to them to this day.

    Racism against any race, whether it be Caucasians, Blacks, Hispanics, Arabs, Indians, Natives or Asians, is not acceptable and it's absolutely hypocritical to think that one should elevate one race over the others.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Ya if you haven’t seen any racism that you must not use the forum a lot.
    I try to avoid the politics forum and give a lot of threads cursory glances. It's also advantageous that the people on my block list tend to be the one's that attract the most trolls and alt accounts, so there is that.

  18. #18
    some people wake up and think : how am i going to be offended today

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Download uBlock or Adblock.

    Go to this post on the forum: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post51127791

    Add those lines into your adblocker, and now you can put racists and idiots on ignore and never see them ever again. It's magic!
    To be fair, that's actually really useful. Thanks!

    Still, there's got to be a better solution that doesn't involve everyone having to individually hide and/or block posters who do this stuff on a regular basis. Like it's a band-aid, but it doesn't address the core issue.

    If there were people in my house deliberately spreading extreme racist propaganda, I would kick them out. This is MMOC's house.

    Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    some people wake up and think : how am i going to be offended today
    My dude, about 10 minutes ago I saw somebody comparing BLM protesters to cannibals. It wasn't a stretch for me to find that offensive.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    some people wake up and think : how am i going to be offended today
    lol... u need to watch peoples reaction to me expressing what i think about dark skin color...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •