Thread: Monk's Serenity

Lightbulb Monk's Serenity

Hello fellas!

Just want to ask you, how you'd like the opinion to add 2 charges to the Serenity talent as WW Monk? It feels kinda "all-in" to use it as it is, because we change our clones into one, mighty burst (well, 12% more dmg in arenas lol). I'd like it to be more versatile, having a 2 charge CD to throw out our potential as a martial artist we are as a monk (what i personally miss since mop, totally rek'd to be a leathery Fury War for years now). So what do you think about
    Monk as it is today? Am I the only one who thinks Monks are just Warriors dressed in Leather?

First of all, I think SEF should be a Brewmaster ability. It was introduced with Chen, and I think Brewmaster is more of a spiritual fighter than the Windwalker, which seems like more of an independently powerful martial artist that focuses on their striking blows and hand-to-hand combat rather than their chi or magic.

But for the Windwalker who does want to be less magical and seem more independently powerful and like that master of martial arts, Serenity is a nice upgrade from SEF because SEF seems to be that much more magical because summoning clones is a lot more magical than just individually entering a kind of avatar-like state. Summoning the clones or entering that avatar-like state is inherently kind of tied to chi, so doing it too often for Windwalker probably betrays what I think they're looking for in terms of being that ultimate pure martial-arts master that exclusively punches and kicks everything to smithereens. So Serenity being on a longer CD and being more powerful feels a lot better for WW, imho. Though for WW I do like the idea of a CD that makes it look like you're attacking at blinding speed from all sorts of directions, but summoning clones seems just too magical for the martial-arts focused specialization.

People use that talent? Why wouldn't you want to split into 3 and drown your enemies in a sea of punches?

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    First of all, I think SEF should be a Brewmaster ability.
    So I could split into 3 me's that would charge in random directions and attack targets beyond my control? That sounds like the worst tank ability ever, especially when we already have the nizhaou thing.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-06-09 at 05:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    People use that talent? Why wouldn't you want to split into 3 and drown your enemies in a sea of punches?

So I could split into 3 me's that would charge in random directions and attack targets beyond my control? That sounds like the worst tank ability ever, especially when we already have the nizhaou thing.
    It's kind of ironic you display the fantasy of SEF with Saitama, who is probably best represented as just himself - which Serenity would better embody...

SEF has notoriously always been borked in terms of functioning the way the player wants it to. If the clones functioned more in the way that other summons did they'd probably be a lot less egregious. In concept though the idea of being able to tank three separate targets far away from each other is great utility, and in practicality the Brewmaster already does use the statue and Niuzao summon, so doubling down into that theme by giving them even more summons with SEF seems like a good way to give the spec a really core identity about being able to tank far-away enemies with various tools. It might be necessary if they ever decide to do away with Stagger, which has also been kind of notorious in terms of scaling and balancing.

I actually love the SEF idea on brewmaster. Sharing the healthpools with your clones as a def cooldown, which inscreases your effective healthpool sounds cool.

Also there is combo potential.
    Casting SEF followed immediately by zen meditation. Your own meditation breaks but your clones continue channeling. -> basicly a ~60% dmg reduction cd.
    Make breath of fire stack (dmg and damage red.) -> triple firebreath for super fun times. (this also improves the value of the talent spitfire)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dileria View Post
    I actually love the SEF idea on brewmaster. Sharing the healthpools with your clones as a def cooldown, which increases your effective healthpool sounds cool.

Casting SEF followed immediately by zen meditation. Your own meditation breaks but your clones continue channeling. -> basicly a ~60% dmg reduction cd.
    Make breath of fire stack (dmg and damage red.) -> triple firebreath for super fun times. (this also improves the value of the talent spitfire)
    It might also help with the low dps a brewmaster does compared to the other tanks. I like!

Remove SEF from Windwalkers and give Windwalkers Serenity baseline maybe with a 20 second duration and 2min cooldown to make it more impactful and line up better with trinkets and such.

sounds like Twillight dev tho :P

Historically it is a source of endless bugs, not working correctly, not working correctly with certain procs or abilities, nerfing the damage of abilities that would otherwise be good, not attacking at all randomly...list goes on. It's fun in theory, but it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dileria View Post
    I actually love the SEF idea on brewmaster. Sharing the healthpools with your clones as a def cooldown, which inscreases your effective healthpool sounds cool.

Yeah it just seems like SEF has more potential interesting gameplay and synergy with Brewmaster than WW. It would actually be cool if you could split your stagger three ways and cleanse it three ways and stuff. The Zen Med and BoF interactions on three also seem cool mechanically, not to mention the triple flame crossing streams would cool as hell to look at. Triple Clash would also be insanely wild for mob positioning - that'd be so useful and unique, but kinda like Gorefiend's, I like that too. Transcendance could be cool for SEF in terms of quasi-kiting too. Man, so many potential insane interactions it actually sounds cool..