15+ Year Old Account

GeForce Now is a joke

I sold my 1080Ti while waiting on 3080Ti and figured I might give cloud gaming a chance.
    So I tried the free version a few months ago and it was quite underwhelming.
    The paid option wasn't available back then.
    Until now...

It supports only 1080p only and I gamed on 4k and figured, it's €5/month so it can't hurt and I can live with 1080p for 6 or so months.
    Aside from having an integrated GPU, my PC is very powerful. It's a 9900k with all 8 cores clocked to 5ghz, 32gb 3600mhz ram, and two M.2 1TB SSDs.
    All that with 1-Gbit up/down internet speed.

I expected at least fluid gameplay and started Wolcen which is a moderate to high demand game.
    First, it took a while to get into the game.
    Then it took 30 seconds for the textures to load. I don't remember this happening in the free version. Then I joined a game and gave up after 1 minute.
    Everything was lagging. On 1080p. So I just quit, canceled my sub and I'll just play pixel graphics until Nvidia/AMD come to senses and give me a new 4k card.

I really want to give Shadow service a go. It has 4k support, 32gb ram, and RTX Titan for somewhere around €50/month. And it's actually a full PC where you can install apps, watch movies, edit photos, etc. Something you can't do with GeForce Now/Google Stadia.
    Which is pretty damn good and cheap considering renting a PC costs like €200+/month (with lower specs), but it's not available in Sweden. And it won't be for at least a year or so. By that time I'll have a 3080Ti and won't care about cloud gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Starting with an aside, you clearly have a very strong and decently expensive computer - why would you sell off your GPU before you got your hand on the next one? Of course there is a difference of losing a couple hundred by selling it later but you’re saving it by not having to pay for services and if you have that computer, a couple hundred should not be a breaker for you. Not entirely sure I understand the setup to this anecdote.

On-topic: I’ve had no big problems with GeForce Now but my usage has been limited (only played Division 2 on it to test the service) as I found Xcloud to run better so I just did that instead. Publishers cracking down on the games that can run on it was inevitable but definitely a hit to the service.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if i am wrong, but apart from the new AI architecture from Nvidia for serverfarms / business, there hasnt been an announcement yet for any 3000 series.

And the speculations vary between 2-4 months from now.

Why did you decide to already sell your gpu? Seems like a bad choice to me.
    So overall, just curious.

GeforceNOW beta WAS exceptional. But capitalism has triumphed over what could have been. (I'm not trying to turn this into a political gambit, but the beta release at its time was simply amazing.) I could play WoW from a Surface Pro 3 without any hiccups or issues. The removal of many game platforms, the throttled tiering model (those who argue cloud streaming services aren't throttled by ISPs are kidding themselves) and the never-ending battle with getting it running on Linux and Chromebooks have destroyed what this platform could've been.

how many games did you try

Last time i tried wolcen I was having the same issues except its actually installed on my computer

15+ Year Old Account
    The reason why I sold it is while it will sell for maybe €200 less when 3xxx cards are out is because I don't game much during the summer. My second job starts in late April/early May and ends in October and well, I'm in Sweden so I gotta enjoy the nice weather while it lasts for a few short months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your internet connection doesn't matter past ~10mbit/s.
    Anything else is up to latency, which you can't upgrade. Unless you're in their server centres, you'll be lagging. An optimistic target is ~20ms if you're close (Same city, and both your and the server's ISPs are located in the same city too), 50+ if you're kinda far away, 200+ if it's on another continent.

You'll have the same experience with Shadow if you ever try them unless they have a server centre closer by

10+ Year Old Account
    It worked fine when I tried it. My ISP is ass when it comes to streaming at high bitrates so that was my hurdle.

Biggest problem with GeForce Now is the licensing issue...or big AAA publishers removing their games.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    The reason why I sold it is while it will sell for maybe €200 less when 3xxx cards are out is because I don't game much during the summer. My second job starts in late April/early May and ends in October and well, I'm in Sweden so I gotta enjoy the nice weather while it lasts for a few short months.
    pretty sure the new cards will be more expenisve than usual because of corona shortages anyway so I'm not sure you've really helped yourself save much

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    pretty sure the new cards will be more expenisve than usual because of corona shortages anyway so I'm not sure you've really helped yourself save much
    3xxx cards are going to destroy 2xxx value.
    And if 2xxx value tanks, then 1xxx will as well since they are inferior to 2xxx cards.

Why will 3xxx cards destroy 2xxx value?
    More affordable RT. New consoles. AMD threat(?).

There are tons of rumors out there, and while they should be taken with a grain of salt, some rumors tend to turn out true.
    Leakers claim anything between 20% - 90% faster 3080Ti compared to 2080Ti.
    I don't believe in the lowest number because have you seen the new consoles?
    PS5 graphics are insane, and all that for no more than €600.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    There are tons of rumors out there, and while they should be taken with a grain of salt, some rumors tend to turn out true.
    Leakers claim anything between 20% - 90% faster 3080Ti compared to 2080Ti.
    With GPU monopoly and smart stocks/pricing from NVIDIA in the last years, I did not see even one rumor that supports your price reduction claim.
    LOOK AT STOCKS NOW, does it look like the resellers will be sitting on mountains for RTX cards?

I don't believe in the lowest number because have you seen the new consoles?
    PS5 graphics are insane, and all that for no more than €600.
    How is console hardware even relevant? Its a highly subsidized product so the price doesnt mean anything for PC's.

And performance gains under 10% are considered BAD and not worth to upgrade. And getting 15%+ more performance with just 1 generation is not that easy as you picture it. But everything above that is just marketing, benchmak optimisation or driver shitshow with holding old GPUs back.

You are not a child, how did you manage to ignore the last years of hardware developlement.
    -

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    With GPU monopoly and smart stocks/pricing from NVIDIA in the last years, I did not see even one rumor that supports your price reduction claim.
    LOOK AT STOCKS NOW, does it look like the resellers will be sitting on mountains for RTX cards?

How is console hardware even relevant? Its a highly subsidized product so the price doesnt mean anything for PC's.

And performance gains under 10% are considered BAD and not worth to upgrade. And getting 15%+ more performance with just 1 generation is not that easy as you picture it. But everything above that is just marketing, benchmak optimisation or driver shitshow with holding old GPUs back.

You are not a child, how did you manage to ignore the last years of hardware developlement.
    How is console hardware relevant?
    A lot of PC gamers new and old have gotten quite comfortable since 2008 and forgot how things happen.
    Games don't follow linear progress. They follow more of a step-up function with each console release.

So you're expecting 3080Ti to cost €2000 and 2080Ti to stay at around €1300 without price drop?