Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Resident Evil 8: Village

So looks like the leaks are legit and its back to the countryside folk horror only less bayou and more deep winter in europe! So far it looks like the leaks were entirely on point that Ethan and his wife have a child whos disfigured due to their infections by the E series virus and Chris kills the wife and steals the kid leading to the titular village where you play three characters dealing with a hallucinagenic virus but theres a fair few things in the trailer the leaks didn't mention.

Like that guy who takes off the glasses, is that Louis from RE4? and theres a 'thing' nailed to a sign that looks suspiciously like the nemesis parasite from the 3 remake.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this is a sequel to 4 in some way as well as 7, maybe even to the point this is the same area resettled or something 20+ years later.

Overall i'm excited. For its big flaw with its enemy variety aside 7 injected fresh ideas into the series and revived a brand many thought 6 killed. Heres hoping this is all the best ideas of 4 and 7 with lessons learned about their issues.

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like RE4 2.0

I'll keep an eye on it, but i'm not really into the whole werewolf theme for the series
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Looks like RE4 2.0

I'll keep an eye on it, but i'm not really into the whole werewolf theme for the series
    I'm not that into it either but considering how many viruses we have seen make animals change and mutate and humans just become, for the most part, something resembling a walking corpse or a licker a still living mutation thats more animal than monster is interesting in a 'heightened senses instead of brainless shambler' kind of way.
    That and it beats mould dude on repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Looks like RE4 2.0

Hopefully it doesn't go into stupid mode like RE4 did once you get about 25% into the castle.

Seems very, Van-Helsing to me, which I think makes it way better. Zombies are kind of old hat and boring. Looking forward to more info really, before I dive in with both feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Hopefully it doesn't go into stupid mode like RE4 did once you get about 25% into the castle.
    Pretty much guaranteed there's a lab under the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Sir this is a Capcom game.

I saw a leak from a few months back that said it'll have RE4's inventory's system where you can turn the items.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I saw a leak from a few months back that said it'll have RE4's inventory's system where you can turn the items.
    I'm down for Attache Case simulator v2.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

7+ Year Old Account
    Wonder if we blow up the castle, the village, or all of Europe now
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's.... well, it's something. I don't really know what to think of it other than how much it looks like RE4 and as a somewhat staunch "purist" asshole it worries me that we're going to return to this weird world which feels fantasy inspired but I'll wait for more details before I start beating the drum.

It's certainly interesting to at least see the Umbrella iconography be apart of this old community so maybe we're going to explore the history of Lord Oswell E. Spencer since he did, coincidentally, grow up in a castle.

The details on how Ethan is involved and why it almost feels like an anthology will have to wait and with rumors of RE4 next in line for a remake I'd doubt it would be a return to that general location especially after Leon already put the boots to it.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-06-11 at 10:47 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Some more details are coming out:

-The attache case is back

-The currency is not pesetas but i believe a romanian currency instead, so not the same town as 4

-There is a 'logo' for lack of a better term dotted around the village. A wicker ring split by four crow feathers with either a mutant fetus or a parasite in the middle, a very little old country metaphorical rendition of the old "power is life" umbrella logo/spencer crest

-The women in the trailer may in fact be a new version of the leech man from RE0

All of which makes me think this village is the original spencer estate back in the old country.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay crackpot theory: Ethan or Mia was the last surviving Oswell Spencer relative and their child is being abducted and taken back to the old country by the cultish family spencer left behind when he founded umbrella.

Brings the whole "welcome to the family son" thing full circle in a game "where his story finally ends" eh?
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2020-06-11 at 10:59 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm being honest it looks pretty sick. My only complaint about 7 was that the enemy variety was fairly limited, but that oddly didn't detract from how terrifying it was when compared to pretty much any other entry in the series. Maybe it was in part due to it being FPS, but 7 to me was probably the 'scariest' of all the RE games for me by a long shot, and felt unnerving at times.

4 for me sort of fell off the rails about half way through the castle as well. The action oriented game play and QTE really started to hit it's stride at that point, with the campy nature of RE games in addition to one liners hitting an all time high. RE4 is a great game, but it was also a game where the anxiousness of playing an RE game wore off incredibly early in the game, with only a spot of it returning near the later half with those regenerator zombies. By comparison, I wasn't really on ease in RE7 until you're in the cave at the end, where I got to the point of saying "so anyways, I started blasting".

The setting looks amazing and seems incredibly similar to 4 (which isn't a bad thing). One thing that puts it at an advantage is the time of year, because personally winter settings just seem far more eerie than anything else.

Whether it's actually full fledged werewolves or not remains to be seen. I'm somewhat of a purist myself and like seeing zombies, but best part of these games is usually the things that aren't zombies (lickers, tyrants and other mutated experiments). Whether you dislike RE3 remake or not, I think most people can agree that the hunters are way better in that installment. RE0 had leeches and leech zombies, while RE7 had incredibly resistance bacteria monsters in the form of "molded". Werewolves could literally be some type of hybrid experiment gone wrong, or it could just be a hallucination much like Evelyn was throughout RE7.

A lot of the screenshots had like doors and shit with emblems and stuff on it, so hopefully it has far more puzzles and backtracking. Something that's basically vanished in every RE game after Code Veronica. If it's a spiritual successor to RE4 great, just hopefully they actually use the actual village more. The castle looks more vampire inspired from the preview too, which would be cool if it's explained properly.

Finally can't wait for the secret research facility under the castle. Honestly I think I'd be upset if it wasn't there lol.

Edit: Not sure how I feel about the attache case inventory system returning.

Looks amazing! I would love to play it with a PSVR 2.0

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting that they're using Romanian currency but the villager has a Standard American English (lack of) accent. Region-specific accents are always found in characters who represent a certain country or region. They're not always good but they at least try.

Additional details:

- Takes place a few years after RE7
    - You play as Ethan again after he settled down in to his new life
    - Chris looks like he's back on the juice and is more of a dark and brooding character who upends Ethan's new life
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-06-12 at 12:50 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks good, but for the most part, this "new direction" that Capcom has been taking RE has left me with mixed feelings.

RE7 was a step in the right direction. There was a much greater emphasis on suspense, there are some legitimate good
    scares, the Baker family was okay for the most part (Jack was really the only one that was handled the best; Lucas was
    a poor man's Jigsaw, and Maguerite was a great horror boss/design, but character wise, meh), and it was nice to take a
    break from Umbrella. IIRC, both the RE Revelations games used different organizations.

That being said however, I still found a lot more wrong with it. The lack of interesting enemies (aside from The Baker
    parents), the overused evil hillbilly trope, the sub-par plot, uninteresting characters, and about half-way through the
    game, they discard the horror and go full on action. Even the later plot related DLC, Not A Hero and End of Zoe are all
    heavy action/almost zero horror.

The trailer looks good, and I am a sucker for werewolves, but again, I'm concerned that they're going to stray too far
    off the path, and we get something like "Castlevania : Lords of Shadow", where it was a good game, just not a good
    Castlevania game.

Either way, from what I took from the trailer, no doubt that The Connections are involved, as they seem to be the new
    evil conglomerate for the series. The werewolf is probably a mutant, likewise with the giant executioner, but this witch
    coven I see...not sure what to make of it.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2020-06-12 at 01:05 AM.

Interesting, I also thought the guy who took off the glasses was Luis but he was pretty thoroughly killed in RE4. I guess it doesn't matter much in this franchise.

I'm totally down for the crazy shit like werewolves or ghosts or vampires, whatever, as long as we keep getting the super solid remakes.

I saw some people claiming this was also connected back to Code Veronica but it seems just like speculation.

15+ Year Old Account
    ima just call it 8age

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    -The currency is not pesetas but i believe a romanian currency instead, so not the same town as 4
    Even if it was the same town, the currency would be euros nowadays.

But it's better that we all forget about that town in Spain where everyone spoke with mexican accents.

Fuck yeah loved RE7 and happy ethan and mia returns.

Not sure about werewolfs though.
    Do you hear the voices too?