Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    No it is not over dramatic at all.
    Yes, yes it is. Someone having problems with a game due to the AI is not some nitpick or a small problem if the person finds it breaks their experience.

You think RE8 is the only game that has enemies AI being broken or weak? many great games like Witcher 3, the Dark Souls series, Bloodborne hell even Sekiro you can easily break the enemies AI, yet it didn't stop the games being great. My point is stop fucking focusing on simple small things and enjoy the overall experience.
    Sure, but those are not the same type of game. If you are making a horror game having AI whose pathing is preset and predictable or can sometimes bug out and cause them to reset can remove any and all possible tension and break the experience. In games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne no one really cares if an NPC casually walks off a cliff and dies, it's funny but it doesn't impact the gameplay; however, in cases where people are playing a game and do run into a problem with the AI or some bug that is experience breaking, there's nothing wrong with them then saying that impacted their experience and rating the game based on that. This entire discussion would be like someone complaining about playing Dark Souls (1) with a mouse and keyboard (which was basically unplayable) and stating it was a bad experience, to which someone replies: "don't nitpick, judge a game based on the entire experience". If the entire experience is colored a bad element of it, then it was colored by that bad element, but that doesn't make their view of the experience invalid.

No it is not about disregarding gameplay aspects of the game it is about having a thick skin and stop being a pussy sensetive when it comes to video game as long as it has an enjoyable gameplay and not broken bugs like Cp2077 then shut up and play it if you don't want it? then refund or don't buy it, that is my point.
    So we're going to the old "shut up, any complaints that I disagree with are invalid" and "just don't play the game" excuses. Nice. Saying that a game's AI is a bit wonky isn't "pussy sensitive", but complaining about people who state that the AI was detrimental to their gameplay experience most certainly is.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Yes, yes it is. Someone having problems with a game due to the AI is not some nitpick or a small problem if the person finds it breaks their experience.

Sure, but those are not the same type of game. If you are making a horror game having AI whose pathing is preset and predictable or can sometimes bug out and cause them to reset can remove any and all possible tension and break the experience. In games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne no one really cares if an NPC casually walks off a cliff and dies, it's funny but it doesn't impact the gameplay; however, in cases where people are playing a game and do run into a problem with the AI or some bug that is experience breaking, there's nothing wrong with them then saying that impacted their experience and rating the game based on that. This entire discussion would be like someone complaining about playing Dark Souls (1) with a mouse and keyboard (which was basically unplayable) and stating it was a bad experience, to which someone replies: "don't nitpick, judge a game based on the entire experience". If the entire experience is colored a bad element of it, then it was colored by that bad element, but that doesn't make their view of the experience invalid.

So we're going to the old "shut up, any complaints that I disagree with are invalid" and "just don't play the game" excuses. Nice. Saying that a game's AI is a bit wonky isn't "pussy sensitive", but complaining about people who state that the AI was detrimental to their gameplay experience most certainly is.
    Yes it does the impact of gameplay in games like Souls series and Bloodborne because the combat system of these games are about knowing the enemies movesets and pattern in order to overcome them, so in a sense they do impact more than RE games really.

I bet during SNES era or even PS1 and PS2 you didn't care about stuff like enemies AI did you?

Also playing Dark Souls with mouse and keyboard it is the player fault not the game really. The game is clearly not designed to be played with mouse and keyboard yet some people are so stingy to get a proper controller? some players really that cheap? it is like complaining about bicycle are less convenient and slower than sport car? well of course because they are not designed to be faster than cars really?

This is why I said I missed the old days because the more knowledge you have about games the less magical they become. I have been playing since the 80s and I have a lot of knowledge in video games but sometimes I let go to stuff like that in order to enjoy the experience (I pretend to be my younger self version of the old days so I can fully enjoy the experience) I guess not every player can do that eh?

It is like watching the old mortal kombat movie (the one from the 90s the first movie of course not the god damn second one). The era when we were watching it the first time? we didn't care about "oh look the acting here is so horrible oh look the CGI is so bad here and there" no we didn't care about all of that shit. We watch it we enjoy it, period. That is my point. It is more healthy when you implement that mentality in video games as long as they are not super horrible buggy games like CP2077 or other games of course.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2021-05-13 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Enjoying the game overall, but as a completionist, finding every single treasure drives me mad sometimes. Especially the damn little gems hiding out in ceilings.
    I had a really hard time finding the quartz in the musical crafts shop with it in one of the instrument's strings facing the window. >_<

7+ Year Old Account
    <..snip..>
    None of this is particularly relevant and is basically just a way to say that people should ignore any possible problems with a game because you don't believe it matters. I think it's also important to point out that at no point have I said that you shouldn't enjoy the game, as it seems as though you are arguing from the perspective that I have, and if the AI wasn't experience breaking to you then all the power to you; however, this handwaving of other people's concerns, especially when it is one that affects their gameplay, is silly. It is especially silly because you've characterized the person as a malicious actor when their only action was to point out that the AI made their experience slightly worse. The game's AI is an important element that informs the player's experience and if you don't appreciate that this is the case for many players then there isn't anything else to say.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

No offense but people like you is the reason we rarely get a great games these days. Not saying RE8 is perfect of course it has its own flaws...but come on focusing on AI of all things instead of the actual games? let me guess you are also a game developer which explains why you decided to focus on these things instead of the actual game itself. It is like the saying goes "Doctors are the worst patients when they are sick". That apply to you maybe?

The gameplay of the game is fun, the directing and voice acting is pretty good, the atmosphere of the game is fantastic, the horror element is superior compare to most of the previous RE games in the series. The story connection between RE7 and RE8 is pretty good. I will easily give it 8.8/10 and I am picky when it comes to video games ( I dont focus on god damn enemies AI though that is just nitpicking imo). If no rival game released these days? then this game is easily game of the year candidate at least or even game of the year.
    Colonial Marines would like a word.

Bad AI can make or break a game for players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    None of this is particularly relevant and is basically just a way to say that people should ignore any possible problems with a game because you don't believe it matters. I think it's also important to point out that at no point have I said that you shouldn't enjoy the game, as it seems as though you are arguing from the perspective that I have, and if the AI wasn't experience breaking to you then all the power to you; however, this handwaving of other people's concerns, especially when it is one that affects their gameplay, is silly. It is especially silly because you've characterized the person as a malicious actor when their only action was to point out that the AI made their experience slightly worse. The game's AI is an important element that informs the player's experience and if you don't appreciate that this is the case for many players then there isn't anything else to say.
    I never said anything like ignore possible problems nope, I guess goy missed the moment when I said as long as it is not as bad or close to CP2077?

Yes enemies AI is important if the entire games AI is super bad, but if it is just one or two enemies? then this is nitpicking pussy sensetive for sure.

I love the boss design / setpieces in this game, but man they can be a slog, at least on hard mode. Just beat moreau, wasn't as bad as Lady D. That fight took like 10 minutes. Every boss seems to just be run around the circle while the boss chases you, even some of the minibosses.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2021-05-13 at 02:24 PM.

I would love a version of the story where you can find the same power ups as in the mercenaries mode. Just some arcade-y fun.

Still salty about the Urias thing, by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I love about this Resident Evil it brought back the old style cool puzzles specially the Castle section of the game, like the piano puzzle (a nice omag to the old RE games).

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair a lot of bosses in RE games are just point and click with your strongest weapons. A lot of the OG ones you usually sit in a corner not seeing what you're firing at, then after you pop a few magnum rounds you actually see what you're killing lol. Lately it's find weak points to kill them faster, and generally try to avoid fairly telegraphed attacks. For all the flak that RE3R gets, I think the boss fights with Nemesis were pretty well done (except the last one). The second and final boss fight with Jack were really good in RE7, and a few of the bosses in RE8 were really good too (IMO).

Most of the mini-bosses are really straight forward, and the big bosses take a lot more effort. I think a big problem with Lady D is that it's hard to tell when she's fully transitioned between stages and you end up wasting a lot of potential ammo on her that isn't really needed. Mines are pretty OP on bosses BTW.

The mystery of the post credits scene has been solved:

The man approaching the car is Ethan

Watched Sodapoppin play some of it and it looked really good. Steam reviews are also really positive.

That being said, I haven't played since RE6 with Leon (Played 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6). Am I going to be completely lost with the storyline and characters, or is this something I can just jump into?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Watched Sodapoppin play some of it and it looked really good. Steam reviews are also really positive.

That being said, I haven't played since RE6 with Leon (Played 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6). Am I going to be completely lost with the storyline and characters, or is this something I can just jump into?
    Very loosely related to previous RE (Chris, BSAA, Umbrella, etc...) games, with the exception of 7, it’s a very direct sequel to that game. You can play 8 first, but it’d spoil a lot of 7.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Very loosely related to previous RE (Chris, BSAA, Umbrella, etc...) games, with the exception of 7, it’s a very direct sequel to that game. You can play 8 first, but it’d spoil a lot of 7.
    Damn, guess I've got to check out 7 first then. Thank you

You could jump into it fine, but dont deprive yourself of RE7. Its a masterpiece.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, guess I've got to check out 7 first then. Thank you
    You should only really play 7. None of the previous titles "really" matter that much although there are loose connections to everything. 7-8 are kind of their own stories and while there is a catch me up thing when you boot the game up (in cinematic form, detailing 7), you will get much more from the story if you play through 7.

That's not to say you wouldn't be served playing the previous ones at all, but you'll get 99% of the story just by playing 7.

As far as who is approaching at the end Even if people zoomed in and it was Ethan, I guess we will really have to wait to find out? It could've just been a stock image they threw in for the fun of it to confuse people, or it could just be Rose imagining her father because she's essentially the last real byproduct of the Megamycete. I wouldn't be surprised if she lives and feels the memories of everything that took place before her.

I personally think the RE7 and RE8 have a better story than RE1-3. Mostly because Capcom likely didn't know how many legs the series had, and constant revisions and ports of the games led to different versions, files and other things being added to the game. I 100% wouldn't be surprised if they redid RE1 again using the RE Engine, lol.

20 hour game?
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    20 hour game?
    My first playthrough on normal, while getting EVERYTHING (all loot, all trasures, weapons, files, etc) took me 9.5 hours.
    Every subsequent playthrough took me less than three.
    Getting all achievements and SS rank in all mercenaries modes took me 54 hours.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    20 hour game?
    It took me 10 hours and 15 minutes on hardcore, and I got quite a bit of stuff (without cheating, or any prior knowledge of the game at all). Never watched a stream or any gameplay videos beyond what Capcom showed off about the game. There was stuff I missed, but I don't think I missed a whole lot (although I know I missed a couple things in the last section).

Keep in mind that's the time the game shows when you beat the game. RE games traditionally don't add to the timer if you die and restart, or whenever you watch any cut scenes or in-game cinematics (and there's a lot in this one). I haven't beaten the game a second time yet, but if I added all the cinematics and deaths together, I'd wager that the game (for me), was closer to being around the 16 hour mark or higher. I died a decent amount of times at the beginning, a couple times to some of the boss fights, and I restarted a few sections because I felt like I used way too much ammunition.

I browsed some people who streamed the game on hardcore and despite them not collecting nearly as many things as I did, a good dozen of them landed times between the 10-12 hour marks, with total stream times of the complete game being around that mark (or much higher) than I listed (~16 hours).

If you play on hardcore and explore a decent amount, it's probably close to a 20 hour game (but still not a 20 hour game). If you aren't super familiar with this type of game you're almost forced to explore anyways, because it's unlikely you'll have enough health/ammo to beat the game if you don't fully explore rooms or go off the beaten path at times. Keep in mind that's just the story mode, but I realize that's often what people care about. The bonus mercenary mode you get for beating the game is an arcade type shooter with high scores, and it's pretty fun to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    loosely? related to previous old RE? the reveal of Spencer being the apprentice of Miranda and him learning pretty much everything from her is not enough for you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    It took me 10 hours and 15 minutes on hardcore, and I got quite a bit of stuff (without cheating, or any prior knowledge of the game at all). Never watched a stream or any gameplay videos beyond what Capcom showed off about the game. There was stuff I missed, but I don't think I missed a whole lot (although I know I missed a couple things in the last section).

Keep in mind that's the time the game shows when you beat the game. RE games traditionally don't add to the timer if you die and restart, or whenever you watch any cut scenes or in-game cinematics (and there's a lot in this one). I haven't beaten the game a second time yet, but if I added all the cinematics and deaths together, I'd wager that the game (for me), was closer to being around the 16 hour mark or higher. I died a decent amount of times at the beginning, a couple times to some of the boss fights, and I restarted a few sections because I felt like I used way too much ammunition.

I browsed some people who streamed the game on hardcore and despite them not collecting nearly as many things as I did, a good dozen of them landed times between the 10-12 hour marks, with total stream times of the complete game being around that mark (or much higher) than I listed (~16 hours).

If you play on hardcore and explore a decent amount, it's probably close to a 20 hour game (but still not a 20 hour game). If you aren't super familiar with this type of game you're almost forced to explore anyways, because it's unlikely you'll have enough health/ammo to beat the game if you don't fully explore rooms or go off the beaten path at times. Keep in mind that's just the story mode, but I realize that's often what people care about. The bonus mercenary mode you get for beating the game is an arcade type shooter with high scores, and it's pretty fun to play.
    It will easily take 20 hours if you explore every single room and make it from red color into blue color. But most people dont even care about exploring throughly which is why they felt the game is not that long.