Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post
    Wow that's nice. What are your specs?
    10700k @5.0ghz and a 2080
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    10700k @5.0ghz and a 2080
    I have everything maxed, 2080ti & i9-9900k (2560x1440) but especially outdoors my fps will drop at 55 sometimes. It depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    I can't help but notice some inconsistencies. Also, it's literally impossible (unless you cheat) to make "extensive use of the store" and "get everything you want" - I'm assuming you're talking about upgrades since you mentioned attachments immediately afterwards. And upgrades do matter, it's not gonna be 6 shots instead of 7 when weapon power goes up by 70% on the base magnum and by 150% (!) on the sniper rifle, not to mention DPS for fast-fire weapons. You will notice a seemingly measly 25% power increase if the rate of fire goes up by 60%. If you didn't feel any extra damage you either didn't upgrade your weapons or we're playing a different game.
    You must be playing a different game bro.

Every few hours you get an upgrade. To the pistol it's from like 150 to 160 to 170

Sniper headshots basically one shot so damage upgrade doesn't have any feeling.

Shotgun isn't much more. The magnum one shots everything anyways unless it's a boss in which case it's a bullet sponge so you won't feel that.

The enemies also mostly are stronger types as you upgrade so it scales out.

I had no problem buying everything I wanted and upgrading the shotgun/sniper/pistol/other pistol and new shotgun to full. Buying the store ammo/mines healing out of stock everytime it filled up.

I had around 380k when I got to Miranda.

They could remove the whole system and it wouldn't change the game in the slightest. It's sad however many years went by since re4 and the system is just as outdated.

Fiiiinally spent points to unlock Mercenaries mini-game. Feels weird to have in in first-person mode. But still a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post
    I have everything maxed, 2080ti & i9-9900k (2560x1440) but especially outdoors my fps will drop at 55 sometimes. It depends.
    That's odd. Do you have RTX enabled? Are you upscaling? These are things that might hog up a lot of fps. You could also set the rendering mode to interlaced, in stead of normal. You'll barely notice the difference and will gain ~30fps.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post

Every few hours you get an upgrade. To the pistol it's from like 150 to 160 to 170

Shotgun isn't much more. The magnum one shots everything anyways unless it's a boss in which case it's a bullet sponge so you won't feel that.

I had no problem buying everything I wanted and upgrading the shotgun/sniper/pistol/other pistol and new shotgun to full. Buying the store ammo/mines healing out of stock everytime it filled up.

They could remove the whole system and it wouldn't change the game in the slightest. It's sad however many years went by since re4 and the system is just as outdated.
    I doubt that, even if you upgraded the cheapest shotguns and pistols. Upgrading the cheapest stuff is possible by sparingly buying ammo, as opposed to doing so liberally, but the cost of fully upgrading the sniper rifle alone is 488,500 and 523,500 with the attachments. Plus the jump between tiers of the same category is huge: the first shotgun costs only 88,000 to fully upgrade, the second one 336,000, and the third one which I assume it's not what you refer to as the "new shotgun" requires 1,383,000. There's no place where mobs respawn endlessly so no infinite farming. And yes, you can sell weapons, but the initial ones don't really sell for much compared to what the upgrades scale up to in cost, the buyback is more expensive, and a new weapon won't be as powerful as a fully upgraded old one for a while which will make it very difficult to complete a first run in HC since mobs scale up, as you stated, and bosses are bullet sponges (which goes against the argument of not needing to upgrade stuff, it's a very literal case of "more bangs for your bucks"), so pardon my skepticism. I found almost every valuable in the first run, sold guns I didn't need anymore, and wasn't able to upgrade as many things as you did, let alone finishing the game with 380k spare.
    Removing the upgrade system would also mean they'd have to remove the scaling and significantly reduce the health pool of bosses (or have people play with the infinite ammo cheat which is only available in NG+ and only for fully upgraded weapons, and aside from the fact that the boss-killers are far from cheap to upgrade, I figure most people will want to save up money for the STAKE and WCX).
    That being said the underlined inconsistencies in the first post remain inexplicable, but there's no really a point in arguing over it I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Much better than RE 7, but that's expected. Any reboot that requires new engine and a complete style makeover tends to leave the first game "dry" in variety and content. I wasn't bothered as others that "molds" were basically the only enemy, even though I agree on that it gets stale, as I mentioned previously it's something I expect. I had hopes for 8 due to the setting and vibe we got in Re 7 which I loved and even bled into the RE2 and RE3 remakes.

I really enjoyed the "twist" with Ethan being a molded. Especially after all the comments on about how Ethan are able to withstand so much. Though it does bring it's own questions. Either it was planned from RE 7 which explains all the heavy dmg across both games, or it wasn't and was a response to peoples "wtf, he takes so much dmg". Like it either way which is true.

I'm a bit worried what the next game will be. To me it feels like this is gonna end up on the shelf, spit out some spin-off games. Don't want this style to disappear
    though. Will probably take some time until next game, I guess we will follow the daughter? But don't know how I feel about playing someone with supposedly great powers. Ethans "power" is alright due to the twist + you still played with the fear you are a simple human among monsters, which helps the fear factor.

Wish there were more places like house Beneviento, which bummed me out that there wasn't. That place messed with me for some reason, rarely get scared as much as this did. It never made me jump but the feeling of dread, god damn. I also made it worse for me after hiding from "it" and instead of getting past it while it searched I waited till "it" left. Before that I kept "it" on my tail because that's less scary since I could just keep it in view. So made it worse for myself when I lost my view of "it"
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playing through VoS difficulty I think my only real critique of the game is the actual difficulty settings as a whole, which I feel like Capcom overwhelmingly gets wrong. When something works, they sometimes just abandon it completely which feels really bad.

Hardcore is a really good difficulty setting and honestly could've been bumped up a bit more to give the perfect overall difficulty for the game. Seriously, if you play on anything lower than hardcore and you're expecting 'survival' at all, you probably won't get it. Like I mentioned multiple times throughout this thread, you don't need to find everything even on hardcore but it does put a significant strain on you if you don't.

The issue I have with VoS difficulty is that it sort of obsoletes most of the systems in the game. While the dukes shop feels really good on hardcore, the games difficulty truly enters bullet sponge territory, and the game basically moves to avoiding as many things as you possibly can while saving ammunition for bosses you have to fight. I'm all for strategically using resources, but even the first real encounter in the game show cases how bad this difficulty is (the one you're forced to face in the hut). If you try to fight enemies in this difficulty (even with upgraded weapons, or hell, even cheated items) you will feel how silly it actually feels. Some basic enemies take 3-4 shot gun shells to kill, and it overwhelmingly just feels bad. On hardcore depending on your upgrades on basic enemies, you can pretty frequently pop heads with the shot gun, or two shots will normally kill a basic enemy.

Most of my VoS gripe is based on playing the game legit mind you. Playing in NG+ isn't much of an issue and the added "spongey" factor of enemies really isn't that bad. But playing the games hardest difficulty is literally playing the game like a speed runner, killing barely any enemies at all and using basically every piece of ammo you pick up to kill bosses exclusively. Killing monsters yields increased currency, but everything costs more and enemies easily take 2-3 times the amount of damage to kill. Madhouse in RE7 does difficulty way better by shifting items and enemies around, in some instances removing a lot of enemies from some areas, but adding more powerful ones in unexpected areas. By comparison VoS does shuffle enemies around some, but it's "mostly" just adding to the pool.

As said the difficulty feels fine in every single difficulty except VoS. Unless VoS is just designed to speed run or cheat in, I can shut up, but it doesn't feel like a good difficulty to really challenge yourself. Playing legit is quite literally picking up what you can, and practicing getting to safe areas with check points while killing absolutely nothing (because you can't). Feels like a dumb difficulty, a lot like the hardest difficulties on RE3R felt like. Madhouse in RE7 was a great example of the hardest difficulty done right, and it's a shame they missed it.

Yeah, the second house was the best part of the game for me. Didn’t really find any other part of the game scary but the tension i felt going through that place crazy. The atmosphere was 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Most of my VoS gripe is based on playing the game legit mind you. .
    I agree with your whole post and I think that the reason they didn't nail the balance is this quote. I think they assume most people enjoy the endless ammo cheat (which is something I've never understood in the RE franchise, I have nothing against people cheating in single player games per se, hell I even cheat or mod my way through some titles to avoid grinding for instance, but I sure as hell don't enjoy blasting my way through games such as RE with an infinite ammo WCX or STAKE - I always try it because I always end up with more CPs than I can use after a couple of runs, and I invariably get bored and turn it off within 15 minutes).
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like they purposely made the game like that for a reason. To me areas like the second house would cause numbness to that kind of fear, or just not fun to play if they were put in most sections of the game. While the third area is probably the worst area in the game (and it's still not even that bad), I knew damn well that nothing would be as bad as what I just went through so I was riding a numbness to fear leaving it. When playing Silent Hill games I was spooked for awhile, but the nature of those games is largely non-combat, and I eventually become use to it and find those games not scary at all (to me).

My biggest fear with the franchise is that they move away from gunplay type characters and potentially jump into some real super natural shit, where characters have powers. While people can argue what RE games truly are, I think having a character that has special abilities that deviate to far from shooting shit would be pretty awful. Everything super natural in RE8 was explained, but imagine just playing a character like Rose who can mold through areas, or do other things with her 'mold' powers. I feel that's fine for a villain, just would feel awkward to play as a main character.

As far as RE9 goes there's a huge time skip and Chris is still alive via the cinematic at the end of RE8. If time progresses normally that means Chris would be in his late 50s or early 60s at this point. If Rose ages faster (but is sort of immortal like Miranda is) than who knows when the game can take place. Which means the game could take place way into the future, or only a few years down the road depending on the approach they take. I think in the files near the beginning of the game you read that Rose was a massive child before being born lol. Whatever the case, they've set the grounds to go with either option for RE9.

Whatever they do with the series it's my opinion that the OG games (RE0-RE3, and Veronica) and RE7-RE8 feel the best of any in the series. I know RE4 is a great game but there's something about it that I don't like. Leon kicking half the doors open in the game, round house kicking people and knife fights just aren't for me (and this goes into RE5-RE6 as well). Basically the games are at their best when they introduce characters, and you get to play as those characters for just a couple games. Everything is new to them, the situation is fucked, and you learn about some crazy BOW shit. It's mostly wrapped up in a couple games, and that's about it. I know people like zombies and stuff, but I personally don't think this series would've been that amazing if they just stuck with the same virus, the same organization and the same type of basic enemies throughout all of the installments (Tyrants are intimidating in the first few games, but imagine being the only real super enemy you fight? It's cool learning about how some of this stuff is linked, but you really don't get much closure on the story of the game, and it just feels cheap. I know RE9 is coming, but there was real satisfaction in how RE7-RE8 was handled in that there was a decent amount of closure at the end.

And yeah to touch on difficulty. I don't mind using cheats to unlock stuff, but I legit like playing games without infinite weapons and that sort of stuff. To each their own, but if I'm playing the same game again after beating it, I don't really get a whole lot out of it by blasting things with the magnum as I effortlessly jog through the game. It's why I think Madhouse is a good difficulty, because while hard, they balance it by shuffling enemies around (+ and -), pathing, and items. VoS just makes enemies at least twice as tanky, harder enemies show up earlier, and they basically just add enemies to the game that weren't there before. Adding enemies is a great way to make replay value better, if it's at the cost of other areas having less. Tuning just feels off is the TLDR. RE difficulty should be a fine balance between killing enemies and avoiding enemies, not avoiding every enemy possible and just killing bosses (unless you're a speed runner). For the average player who doesn't speed run and likes to casually play games on harder difficulties, VoS isn't a great setting. Hardcore felt perfect, although it could've been slightly harder and maybe a bit more barren on the resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I know RE9 is coming, but there was real satisfaction in how RE7-RE8 was handled in that there was a decent amount of closure at the end.
    Yes and no. I think it's heavily hinted (if by borderline reverse-psychology) that the cycle is far from over and the illusion of closure could be fabricated, kind of like when Ethan "died" - [I]again[/I]. Not to mention the stuff you discover in the lab shortly before finding the real Mia while playing as Chris.
    That being said I'd be ok with either a continuation of this cycle - though I share your fears about possible actual supernatural stuff - or a whole new cycle. But I think we'll see more of this one, if only by DLC. The final cutscenes are full of tropes designed to tell people there's still stuff to wrap up, and the sales are already above expectations I think, especially on PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any ideas/predictions/speculations on who the unknown figure approaching the vehicle at the end of the game is?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    People have zoomed in on it but it could be a variety of things.

It could be Ethan as people had found out, but it's also incredibly likely they just pulled a generic model (Ethan's pretty generic) and had him approach. Considering you aren't really suppose to see who it is, it could be anybody and they could bait and switch. Or it could literally just be Ethan. My money is on it being somebody else, or it's just manifestation that only Rose can see, considering she was reborn virtue of the mold/megamycete and likely holds the memories of those that came before her. Sort of like how Evelyn could appear anywhere in RE7 to those infected, and how Ethan was able to communicate with Jack in the later half of RE7.

Your guess is as good as mine though!

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Any ideas/predictions/speculations on who the unknown figure approaching the vehicle at the end of the game is?
    It could be anyone. Mimicry, remember? It's not even the first time such an ability appears in the RE universe, remember - warning, spoiler ahead for another RE game -Mimicry Marcus from Resident Evil Zero?

Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post

There is literally, factually, not enough money in the game to do all those upgrade in one playthrough.

- - - Updated - - -

It's Ethan. Specifically, his jacketless explosion cutscene model, with a face.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm not sure what difficulty he's playing at all. Even if you kill everything on VoS difficulty (which gives a crap load of money and has more enemies) you still wouldn't have enough to upgrade everything from scratch in a single playthrough. Upgrading the Magnum alone is incredibly expensive and on my first playthrough (hardcore) I wasn't even remotely close to getting everything upgraded in the final stretch of the game. I 100% missed random gems, but got all the big combinable items and big treasures in the game.

The weapon upgrades certainly matter in the factory section and if you sell your previous weapons, buy the new ones and upgrade the firepower on them you can 100% tell the difference between the T2 and T3 (factory weapons, the duke has for you). The games pace is meant to do that, lol. If you get the T2 and T2 pistol/shotgun and upgrade them immediately, it certainly is something you can notice in that area, and the same goes with the factory weapons.

VoS certainly feels like bullet sponge hell and I'd agree that the difficulty of that mode doesn't feel right. But hardcore is balanced pretty well IMO and you're basically rewarded for selling your old weapons, treasure hunting, and perhaps just focusing on a couple weapons instead of all of them.

Magnum killing regular enemies aside from bosses is like a staple of the series since like forever. The one you naturally get in the game makes you use far less bullets on the "wolf" bosses in the game if you upgrade it, and naturally upgrading it makes bosses faster anyway (even though the rifle is super good against bosses regardless).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    It's Ethan. Specifically, his jacketless explosion cutscene model, with a face.

Interesting, as it has that disclaimer at the end about the father's story being done. Must definitely be a clone/mimic then?

15+ Year Old Account
    You guys are reading too much into it and not just a cliche beloved character's memory coming back for one last sentimental scene

Interesting, as it has that disclaimer at the end about the father's story being done. Must definitely be a clone/mimic then?
    I think it might be that Ethan is gonna end up as a "good" counterpart to Evie. Alive in the mold somehow, and thus connected to Rose. So something only she could see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    You guys are reading too much into it and not just a cliche beloved character's memory coming back for one last sentimental scene
    That might very well be true.