Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Seattle and the CHAZ

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ithout-police/

Welcome to the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, where Seattle protesters gather without police

Images of the barricades show hand-written messages including “Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone” and “You are now leaving the USA.”

Welcome to the CHAZ, the newly named Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, where most everything was free Tuesday.

Free snacks at the No-Cop Co-op. Free gas masks from some guy’s sedan. Free speech at the speaker’s circle, where anyone could say their piece. A free documentary movie — Ava DuVernay’s “13th” — showing after dark.

A Free Capitol Hill, according to no shortage of spray paint on building facades. And perhaps most important to demonstrators, the neighborhood core was free of uniformed police.

A new protest society — centered on a handful of blocks in Seattle’s quirky, lefty Capitol Hill — has been born from the demonstrations that pushed the Seattle Police Department out of its East Precinct building.

On Tuesday, demonstrators hung a banner on the police station: “THIS SPACE IS NOW PROPERTY OF THE SEATTLE PEOPLE.” Teenagers passed a bottle on the exit ramp for police vehicles. A young man carried a long rifle down the sidewalk, despite the mayor’s ban on weapons in Capitol Hill, which has not been clearly enforced.

A man passed out flyers calling for a Thursday meeting to help answer the question now lingering for demonstrators.

“I support this, but what’s next?” said Max Hodges.

That sentiment summarizes a cascade of questions demonstrators now face. Autonomous from what, exactly? Who is leading? How long can it last? Is it a distraction from the larger movement for police accountability and racial justice?
    So no true leaders, just anarchy with whatever they want to do. There were posts saying they were low on food because, in a shocking turn of events. if you let the homeless in, they eat food.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-p...aving-precinct
    Addressing the takeover of the area surrounding the Seattle Police Department’s abandoned East Precinct building, Chief Carmen Best said in a video addressed to her officers Thursday major chaos had been averted but also that she was “angry about” how the situation unfolded.

After days of protests over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody, Seattle police boarded up and left the East Precinct building Monday night – and then a crowd of protesters set up barricades in the surrounding area, declaring it an “autonomous” and “cop-free zone.”

“The decision to board up the precinct, our precinct, our home, the first precinct I worked in, was something I had been holding off,” Best said. “You should know, leaving the precinct was not my decision. “

“You fought for days to protect it,” Best continued in her remarks. “I asked you to stand on that line, day in and day out – to be pelted with projectiles, to be screamed at, threatened and in some cases hurt.”

Protesters allegedly also threw glass bottles, rocks and “explosives” at police there on Saturday. Police said they used blast balls and pepper spray to try and break up the crowds. The city also made the decision to ban its police force from using tear gas to quell the unrest.

“To have a change of course, nearly two weeks in,” Best said, shaking her head. “It seems like an insult to you and our community.”

She blamed “the city” for giving in to “severe public pressure” for the decision to pull out of the East Precinct building.

“We had solid information to believe that anti-government groups would destroy the precinct once we left, whether through vandalism or arson,” she said.

She also said, using air quotes, that police had heard reports of armed people “patrolling” the area, which she said was “very concerning.”

“Especially because we don’t know who these people are,” she added.

And she hinted that they may even be extorting local business owners and demanding local residents show identification.

“This is not legal,” she said. “And we ask anyone who may be experiencing this to come forward and file a police report.”

In closing, she said that she believed most city residents supported the police force – despite left-wing calls to defund departments around the country — “even though they may not be the ones posting on social media.”
    Possibly extorting local businesses and asking people, in America, for their "papers". This is great. I hope this continues in this democrat party controlled city and state. I really do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi, Seattle resident here.

Such mayhem, much anarchy. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

So have there been any crimes committed in the "autonomous zone" yet, @TexasRules?

Has it devolved into total chaos and anarchy, with people running around naked, covered in green jello yet? Are they forming aggressive drum circles to cause noise disturbances? What are we talkin about here, dude. You gotta let me know so I can be on the lookout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So have there been any crimes committed in the "autonomous zone" yet, @TexasRules?

Has it devolved into total chaos and anarchy, with people running around naked, covered in green jello yet? Are they forming aggressive drum circles to cause noise disturbances? What are we talkin about here, dude. You gotta let me know so I can be on the lookout.
    There were roving gangs of Zoomers handing out face masks and setting up educational movies!

It is mildly concerning to me on a personal level that we have the President of the United States casually threatening an armed invasion of my city over social media but hey, all so the gun nuts down south can get their jollies right?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    There were roving gangs of Zoomers handing out face masks and setting up educational movies!
    FUCKING ZOOMERS?

Why the fuck aren't the Marines there now?

And setting up EDUCATIONAL MOVIES?!

That sounds like a forced re-education camp to me. THESE HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES SHALL NOT STAND!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    FUCKING ZOOMERS?

Why the fuck aren't the Marines there now?

And setting up EDUCATIONAL MOVIES?!

That sounds like a forced re-education camp to me. THESE HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES SHALL NOT STAND!
    You have no idea how all these claims of violent anarchy amuse me when I think back on the weekly thinkpieces in the local paper complaining how Amazon had gentrified Capitol Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlord Raz roughed a few people up. But it has barely been 72 hours. So I wouldnt been making grand statements about it either way.

Kinda like a glorified block party. So I would apply house party/burning man rules:
    • Keep your drink covered
    • Dont get caught alone with 'that guy'

Curious to see what happens when the weekend tourists and anarchists show up.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG a band played there last night... then they played documentaries about drag queens in Paris... it was horrible.

FYI... if you are scared of this... wait until tomorrow... seattle business are joining the protesters by shortening and cancelling work days to let people protest. Hold on to your boogaloo butts...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady G View Post
    Warlord Raz roughed a few people up. But it has barely been 72 hours. So I wouldnt been making grand statements about it either way.

Kinda like a glorified block party. So I would apply house party/burning man rules:
    • Keep your drink covered
    • Dont get caught alone with 'that guy'

Curious to see what happens when the weekend tourists and anarchists show up.
    I am hoping (hoping) that Durkan and Inslee are rushing to try and work something out before anything unfortunate happens or god forbid cheeto-in-chief decides to start meddling in shit.

But let's be clear here; the ultimate fault here is Seattle PD and the undue power and influence they wield.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    OMG a band played there last night... then they played documentaries about drag queens in Paris... it was horrible.

FYI... if you are scared of this... wait until tomorrow... seattle business are joining the protesters by shortening and cancelling work days to let people protest. Hold on to your boogaloo butts...
    Paris is Burning is about drag culture in New York, mate! But yes; I'd really recommend giving it a watch because it really does help expose the parallels between the police brutality that was (and is) being fought against by Pride, and what is being fought against by BLM currently.

I thought conservatives likes less government?

Hmmm....

10+ Year Old Account
    Paris is Burning is about drag culture in New York, mate! But yes; I'd really recommend giving it a watch because it really does help expose the parallels between the police brutality that was (and is) being fought against by Pride, and what is being fought against by BLM currently.
    Fuck... my bad... I earned my street cred by watching Women in Revolt, back in the 90s... Which was not an easy film to find... I got primed for millennials and... I guess zoomers... making the huge advances they have made, by getting a little obsessed with Andi Warhol’s factory... was just a decade too late.

One of the best movies to watch, if you want to freak out the normies...
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-06-12 at 02:26 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Fuck... my bad... I earned my street cred by watching Women in Revolt, back in the 90s... Which was not an easy film to find... I got primed for millennials and... I guess zoomers... making the huge advances they have made, by getting a little obsessed with Andi Warhol’s factory... was just a decade too late.
    Look I'm honestly astonished zoomers are too anxious to order food in person at mcdonalds but will happily bodyslam a cop.

The kids are aight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if Seattle PD werent giant pieces of shit for decades.

Like I lived up there 13ish years ago and the cops were shit then too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well if Seattle PD werent giant pieces of shit for decades.

Like I lived up there 13ish years ago and the cops were shit then too.
    There's a reason the WTO protests ended the way they did.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I thought conservatives likes less government?

Hmmm....
    I think you're confusing libertarians with conservatives, they have two seperate ideologies. Conservatives like things like the military and police.

Somebody on Twitter was saying they set up walls or barriers around some parts of CHAZ, which is funny since walls aren't suppose to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a reason the WTO protests ended the way they did.
    I'm so proud of Seattle. That place is so chill normally but god help you if you start shit.

I miss living there Althoughy fuck the Red Square when its raining. Slippery as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I think you're confusing libertarians with conservatives, they have two seperate ideologies. Conservatives like things like the military and police.

Somebody on Twitter was saying they set up walls or barriers around various parts of CHAZ, which is funny since walls aren't suppose to work.
    So, conservatives hate small government... got it.

Conservatives prefer things like fascism, authoritarianism, and oppression.

Thanks for clearing that up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of Andi Warhol in the contract of the OP, I feel the need to post this:

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, conservatives hate small government... got it.

Conservatives prefer things like fascism, authoritarianism, and oppression.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Yeah conservatives are right-of-center so that means by definition hierarchy and national security are priorities. I keep getting the feeling that you are expecting conservatism to be synonymous with libertarianism, which makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yeah conservatives are right-of-center so that means by definition hierarchy and national security are priorities. I keep getting the feeling that you are expecting conservatism to be synonymous with libertarianism, which makes zero sense.
    You'd have to completely ignore 4-5 decades of "small government conservatism" that's been pushed as a core tentpole of the Republican party to hold this view.

We're talking about American conservatism in a thread about American issues and American political ideologies.