Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Either MoP or Legion, for different reasons. Legion I have the most fond memories of mostly due to weaving Strike of the Windlord and Serenity.

As a WW main, early Legion gameplay, before the Nighthold patch, was the best for me by far. Before they nerfed/changed Serenity so that cooldown reductions disappeared after Serenity was over (i.e. if something was on CD during Serenity, the CD would double when it was over), it was a really fun playstyle with a high and interesting skill cap, since your timing of abilities and Serenity would be very dynamic and situational.

Only WW era I didn't experience was MoP, but from what I've heard it doesn't sound that good; imo WW should be a "slow" and meaningful spec since it has energy, not a furious GCD-locked spec like fury warrior or havoc DH, and it seemed to have been quite barebones with few class interactions at the time (old boring ToD, no WDP or SotWL/FIst of the white tiger, SEF wasn't added until a patch and wasn't used in ST)

The fact that current patch WW, with the clunky GCDs on SEF, Xuen and Energizing Elixir, a pathetic 5 target cap on Spinning Crane Kick, useless Serenity, and all the SEF bugs, is considered one of if not the most fun spec available really says a lot about the state of the game in BfA imo.
    Last edited by Beingbob; 2020-06-22 at 09:54 PM.

I was happy for as long as MW had mist walk. Deleting that skill was a big turnoff for me and I haven't been able to get back into the class since.

BM:
    In MoP, all tanking was fucked with vengeance. It was fun, just not a sustainable model. BfA BM is too easy, but it's very sustainable. Really looking forward to SL.

WW:
    MoP windwalker was great, but only because of RoRo. I would LOVE for something like that to happen again. BfA WW is probably the best besides that.

MW:
    WoD MW was very clearly the best. The height of fistweaving. BfA MW is too easy, but it's somehow fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Legion was pretty great. Had a blast. Now... eh, no.
    What was so fun about Legion monk? I started maining a monk at the start of Legion and switched through all the roles because of the constant changes. It seemed they did not know what to do with the Monk, lost guard, had that teleport ability in PVP which they removed all of a sudden, now you can stun with fists now you can't. oh now you can again.

I played MW eventually and cleared 5/7 mythic in the first tier and it felt nice at the beginning but for a healer class that had versatility as a main stat you would plateau really fast making room for the true overlords: Resto Druids. Scaling was really bad long term.

Now compare that to WOD MW with those sick uplifts, now that was a good time to be a MW monk

It felt really rushed to be honest.

regarding windwalker definitely mists of pandaria era, even though i hated that you had to build up your dps cooldown with tigereye brew. but its still better than the combo strike shit

also as brewmaster it was awesome to slowly guard the whole raid

WW/MW=early MoP. They were both actually strong and fun to play. WW was changed before the xpac was even done.
    BrM=Almost every xpac. They have remained strong tanks and haven’t had much in the way of changes over the years.

brewmaster- i liked whenever they had guard.. so im guessing wod.

mistweaver - uplift that costed 2 chi, touch of death, eminence (not sure how it was spelled was the toggle ability that healed for 50% of damage you dealt). this was also in WoD

dont know if these things existed in MoP

MoP was the best version of the Monk class. I played my Brewmaster from MoP until Antorus, and I never felt more badass as a monk than when I was shuffling and downing my brews carefully. Anything after that really dumbed down the class, but getting rid of guard as baseline in Legion was the most egregious.

WoD. MoP was also very good, but WoD had my favorite iteration of every monk spec(HFC WW/MW, BRF BrM)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP. I've been a tank since Vanilla. Raided on Prot War/Pal and Feral Druid extensively.

I've NEVER had more fun tanking, than I did tanking raids in MoP as a Brewmaster. Everything about the spec just worked for me, not sure why.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Wuusah View Post
    It's 1 second for WW and BrM monk and 1.5 for MW monk. Really annoying when you are used to WW and then switch over to heal and want to use the same dps abilities but your fingers move too fast for the healer GCD...

Set your lag compensation to 500! Fixed.. ish.
    Last edited by Anna Hope; 2020-07-17 at 05:15 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Legion's WW with insane 1v1 (Serenity bursting with ToD and FoF that stunned) AND the best flag carrier in the game (Transcendence healing and double FSK). Strike of the Windlord was absolutely broken for the first 2 months. It used to deal 100% damage to all targets.

BfA's WW is just boring with all the GCD changes. Blizzard really fked up on that one.
    Last edited by Frandaero; 2020-07-21 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frandaero View Post
    Legion's WW with insane 1v1 (Serenity bursting with ToD and FoF that stunned) AND the best flag carrier in the game (Transcendence healing and double FSK). Strike of the Windlord was absolutely broken for the first 2 months. It used to deal 100% damage to all targets.

BfA's WW is just boring with all the GCD changes. Blizzard really fked up on that one.
    Fun fact: without SotWL the spec baseline does not flow at all, it just feels wrong.
    You have to pick WDP, and this doubly kills Serenity, already nerfed to the point of unviability. And this is beside numbers tuning, of course, because numbers can be adjusted but gameplay is trickier to nail down and way harder to fix.

Hopefully something will be done: a bunch of weeks ago on Twitter a WoW dev asked for feedback on Monks, and the majority of answers pertaining WW were really vocal on Windlord.

5+ Year Old Account
    Legion PvP Windwalker here!

I miss my Two Charges Healing Elixir.
    I miss my Port Heal (Artifact Trait Healing Winds).
    I miss my Fists of Fury Stun (Blizzard needs to bring it back, Leg Sweep is not enough where as rogues have Cheap Shot and Kidney Shot).
    I miss my Healing Spheres (Mists of Pandaria).
    I miss my Touch of Karma (before it was a talent Good Karma, now it is just an immunity like Divine Shield where I can live 5-6 seconds longer in pvp, most people if not everyone know about karma now and know not to touch the monk during it and just wait for it to be over and then they focus and kill me.)

Edit: Oh and Strike of the Windlord too.
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2020-07-26 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    I miss my Touch of Karma (before it was a talent Good Karma, now it is just an immunity like Divine Shield where I can live 5-6 seconds longer in pvp, most people if not everyone know about karma now and know not to touch the monk during it and just wait for it to be over and then they focus and kill me.)
    Even worse than that: Karma can be entirely nullified by a BoP.
    And that's beside the point of Touch of Death being canceled by stealths and vanishes, which seriously hampers any 1v1s against Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    BM:
    In MoP, all tanking was fucked with vengeance. It was fun, just not a sustainable model. BfA BM is too easy, but it's very sustainable. Really looking forward to SL.

WW:
    MoP windwalker was great, but only because of RoRo. I would LOVE for something like that to happen again. BfA WW is probably the best besides that.

MW:
    WoD MW was very clearly the best. The height of fistweaving. BfA MW is too easy, but it's somehow fun.
    pretty much this, as one of the MoP beta-testers i loved the beta version of WW which BFA is reminiscent of.
    I don't like the crane kick and ToD changes or the overall reduction in utility across the class.

WoD Brewmaster with Chi Explosion was the most enjoyable from a gameplay and feel perspective that any spec has been in this game's history in my opinion. The ability to have a rotation on a tank where you can make a dramatic shift from offensive to defensive focus and vice versa moment to moment based on how you spend your resources was extremely skill testing and satisfying and simply hasn't been replicated since. This was largely overshadowed by scaling issues that expansion though, starting off extremely weak, then become vastly too strong in the second tier where stagger levels simply trivialized many boss mechanics, and then being heavily nerfed but buoyed by an extremely overpowered set bonus. If they could get the numerical tuning in a good place with those mechanics I'd never play anything else.

Both ToT MoP windwalker and legion windwalker were solid, but that solidness never game from the spec itself but always from items. The set bonus combinations in Legion and RoRo in MoP and how they interacted with the spec kit were what really made those satisfying to play.

I've never played MW seriously enough to comment on which iteration was best.

I miss the days of fistweaving, it was op asf, but was the most fun in terms of healing.

MoP

This is the answer to all "what [class/spec] iteration was best" question, MoP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    (before it was a talent Good Karma, now it is just an immunity like Divine Shield where I can live 5-6 seconds longer in pvp
    Maybe I'm mistaken, I thought Touch of Karma made you immune to damage from teh target you put it on, not other people. So if you ToK player A and player B hits you you'll take full damage. I remember it used to transfer all damage taken from other sources but I thought it changed?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself