Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    LOL YOSHO anyone surprised this guy is a huge fan for ff14 and other snail paced games

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Nonsense.
    By that logic every mmo is the same. Only procs would add unpredictability.
    But, in FF you also have to keep track of buffs, resources and positionals while executing boss mechanics. There is a modicum of skill required. You don't just hit shiny buttons. You have to predict and react in order to maximise your output.
    Eh not really. Even the buffs that you have to keep up are built in to the rotation for most classes. Dragoon for example, you never have to think about buff upkeep because the rotation works in such a way that if you do it right you ll always maintain it. The "difficulty" comes in optimizing your upkeep for each fight otherwise its like playing the piano.

I 100% agree. I play paladin mostly but have all classes / jobs at max level.

Paladins rotation for single target boss = Rampart, Fight or Flight, Shield Lob, Charge, Fast Blade, Circle of Scorn, Riot Blade, Spirits Within, Goring Blade, Requisat, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Confiteor, Fast Blade, Riot Blade, Goring Blade, Fast Blade, Riot Blade, Royal Authority, Atonement, Atonement, Atonement. And of course putting in sheltron, spirits within, circle of scorn as they come off cool down. Thats 14 hotkeys you have to have just for the dps rotation this doesn't include the numerous cool downs we have.

AoE Rotation = Total Eclipse, Prominence, Requisat, Holy Circle, Holy Circle, Holy Circle, Holy Circle, Confiteor. Thats another 3 hotkeys.

So thats 17 hotkeys just for rotations, which you have to have. We have a whole slew of cool downs which also need hotkeys.

Currently I used Alt 1-7, Control 1-7, and 1-7 which equals 21 easy to reach hotkeys. Which leaves 4 hotkeys for cool downs or other need abilities which aren't included in the normal rotation, or cool downs.

Shield Bash = to interrupt but it is dumb this is a GCD
    Sentinel = tank cool down
    Cover = useless ability imo
    Hallowed ground = tank cool down
    Devine Veil = tank cool down ( more or less )
    Clemency = almost useless ability ( good for healing yourself in solo content or dungeons )
    Intervention = utility ( kind of )
    Passage of Arms = utility

Another 8 abilities of the 4 I have left.

Really what they need to do is drop holy spirits, and increase the potency of holy circle to 350. They need to combine fast blade and riot blade, and only leave the finishers. Remove total eclipse and prominence add a cleave to the single target rotation. Combine the tank cool downs into maybe 1 or 2 abilies. This alone would free up 8 hotkeys. They won't do it because people complain.

But it is absolutely a chore to have so many abilities which can't all be put onto hotkeys, so you have to end up clicking something somewhere. I played wow in a top 50 guild, I played right in a top 10 guild. This game doesn't really like people using macros for abilities.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by fersaken View Post
    Paladins rotation for single target boss = Rampart, Fight or Flight, Shield Lob, Charge, Fast Blade, Circle of Scorn, Riot Blade, Spirits Within, Goring Blade, Requisat, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Confiteor, Fast Blade, Riot Blade, Goring Blade, Fast Blade, Riot Blade, Royal Authority, Atonement, Atonement, Atonement. And of course putting in sheltron, spirits within, circle of scorn as they come off cool down. Thats 14 hotkeys you have to have just for the dps rotation this doesn't include the numerous cool downs we have.
    I only have a PLD to 70 right now. Why aren't you using two oGCDs in between abilities? I generally use Circle and Spirits Within together. Does tanking gear at end game give tons of skillspeed? Just asking to know what to expect or if I'm missing something.

They need to combine fast blade and riot blade, and only leave the finishers. Remove total eclipse and prominence add a cleave to the single target rotation. Combine the tank cool downs into maybe 1 or 2 abilies. This alone would free up 8 hotkeys. They won't do it because people complain.
    I don't care about having too many buttons, I actually enjoy it, but only when they do different things. Combo openers literally do nothing except damage. As for AoE, since the rotation would become two buttons, I guess Prominence could be made into a finisher.

Though personally I think the biggest problems here are Atonement and Requiescat. Atonement and Requiescat both just mean you spam one button for a while. Why even bother with that? It's not engaging gameplay at all. I would just remove both of them. I remember paladins having a proc in SB, Shield Swipe, maybe something like that could come back instead. A proc of some sort and when it pops you can use Clemency or Holy Spirit instant cast so you have some utility or extra damage that is also useful during AoE and changes up your rotation a little. Anything but mechanics that encourage you to just spam one button.

Edit: Oh and a for tanking cooldowns, every tank has enough personal cooldowns already, role actions are becoming redundant for them imo. I think your post is spot on in general.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

I break them up because of how the GCD works. If you use fast blade to circle and spirits then there is a delay before you can use riot blade.Because though circle is off the GCD they still have animations, and you have to finish the animation before the next ability kicks in.

So if you use fast blade ( circle or spirits ) then riot blade ( circle or spirits ) you will see that the gcd is just about finished after using one or the other. Meaning its a smooth transition from circle to riot blade then spirits to combo end.

More or less my point is the abilities off gcd should be intertwined with gcd abilities.

What sucks even more is even if you get the rotation 100% it only increases your dps, nothing more. In raids you can literally stand there and fast blade, riot blade, and royal authority, and most people will never pass you in threat ( unless they are another tank ). With that being said you could prolly just do the aoe rotation and get rid of the two ( three ) finisher chains. That would free up a lot of hotkeys but your dps would be poop
    Last edited by fersaken; 2020-06-24 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    I only have a PLD to 70 right now. Why aren't you using two oGCDs in between abilities? I generally use Circle and Spirits Within together. Does tanking gear at end game give tons of skillspeed? Just asking to know what to expect or if I'm missing something.
    You can, but I imagine you would want to delay the Spirits Within to get the FoF buffs.

Also as far as end game goes.

When you start melding, put all crit until its all red then direct hit then skill speed.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I break them up because of how the GCD works. If you use fast blade to circle and spirits then there is a delay before you can use riot blade.Because though circle is off the GCD they still have animations, and you have to finish the animation before the next ability kicks in.

So if you use fast blade ( circle or spirits ) then riot blade ( circle or spirits ) you will see that the gcd is just about finished after using one or the other. Meaning its a smooth transition from circle to riot blade then spirits to combo end.

More or less my point is the abilities off gcd should be intertwined with gcd abilities.
    Oh I understand weaving, that is what I am talking about that you could double weave without clipping into the next GCD. Just got on to try it and was able to, but then it was tight and this is at 71 without melding so I suppose later on it will be different like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    You can, but I imagine you would want to delay the Spirits Within to get the FoF buffs.
    Thanks! Yeah I suppose it makes sense to use Circle before FoF runs out since I was told there's snapshotting in this game.
    Last edited by Hyral; 2020-06-24 at 08:53 PM.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

i play on PS4 and press like 10 buttons max. you are doing it very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    what class do you play where you only have to press 10 buttons max? most jobs at endgame have 15-25 assuming you use class/role utility.

If you are only using 10 buttons, then you sir are not using all of your abiliites

Sorry, but if you're only using 10 buttons, on classes that have far more than that....you're the one doing it "wrong."

There are no classes in FFXIV, at 80, that only have 10 buttons to press to maximize their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Sorry, but if you're only using 10 buttons, on classes that have far more than that....you're the one doing it "wrong."

There are no classes in FFXIV, at 80, that only have 10 buttons to press to maximize their performance.
    Since he's playing on console, can't you just switch hotbars very easily and use the same buttons?

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Since he's playing on console, can't you just switch hotbars very easily and use the same buttons?
    That wasn't the interpretation I was using, because most folks use some variation of that on both PC or console anyway. I don't know anyone that has ~20+ individually mapped hot keys for their abilities.

You typically use the same 4-12 core buttons (usually 1 through = on the keyboard or the 4 main controller face buttons) with modifiers like alt, shift or ctrl to expand that by up to 4x if you use all 4 of those typical modifiers. I've never used more than that, but I suppose it's theoretically possible for people to have more than those modifiers.

If that is, in fact, what that poster intended then I apologize. I interpreted that as abilities not literal buttons used to activate them.

Well on PC it's a bit more difficult because using a modifier means you have to press that button at all times, while on a controller you could just press a button once and have new abilities on the same buttons and when you are "done" with that part of the rotation, you can switch back.

At least that's how I imagine it on console, I'm not playing with a controller.

the modifiers on PC are in a very awkward position, the only reason I'm using them is because FFXIV is so slow.
    I'd never use alt though.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Well on PC it's a bit more difficult because using a modifier means you have to press that button at all times, while on a controller you could just press a button once and have new abilities on the same buttons and when you are "done" with that part of the rotation, you can switch back.

At least that's how I imagine it on console, I'm not playing with a controller.

the modifiers on PC are in a very awkward position, the only reason I'm using them is because FFXIV is so slow.
    I'd never use alt though.
    I use a gaming key pad peripheral because I used to use all those modifiers on a keyboard constantly and ended up getting an ergonomic/ repeated stress injury because of it. Was one of the best buys I've ever made, coupled with the MMO Mouse it makes accessing that many abilities extremely simple and comfortable.

Both buys were literal game (and life, honestly) changers for me.

The one experience I had with trying FFXIV on console/ with a controller was that the modifier had to be held the same way it is on keyboard. So no modifiers gives one hot key pallet, holding L1 swaps to the L1 pallet, holding R1 swaps to the R1 pallet, etc...

FFXI (and I'm sure other games too) worked differently in that there were no modifiers, just menu's that you navigated through using the controller buttons.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The one experience I had with trying FFXIV on console/ with a controller was that the modifier had to be held the same way it is on keyboard. So no modifiers gives one hot key pallet, holding L1 swaps to the L1 pallet, holding R1 swaps to the R1 pallet, etc...
    You can actually change them to be toggles in the settings. I prefer holding though, for the few times I actually use controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    You can actually change them to be toggles in the settings. I prefer holding though, for the few times I actually use controller.
    Good to know, I didn't want to get over the learning curve of using the controller after being comfortable with the mouse + key pad combo I was using so didn't really look much into it.

There's a lot of things I like about FFXIV but just as many I dislike. The ability bloat is a big one I dislike. There are a lot of abilities that basically do the same thing but just have a different animation and require another keybind because of a combo synergy or cooldown. I hate the lack of a visual indicator for procs requiring me to stare at my bars to see when something procs. The goofy stuff like rabbit and frog suits people run around in. The gear is also incredibly boring with everything just being straight stats.

I still go back and spend a month or so playing it once in a while but I never stick with it for long. Eventually those little things start to wear on me.

Introducing World of Finalcraft: The Pandering. People complained about class balance, so there's 1 class. People complained about rotations so there's 1 button. It even presses itself! People complained about difficulty so you're immortal. People complained about gear so you're able to change every stat and add any number of thousands of effects to your gear. It's completely unique to you!

Enjoy game!