Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Indara View Post
    She was stupid.
    Considering her mother was imprisoned in Nazi concentration camps when she was a child? No, she wasn't.

People are demanding the removal of statues of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Linnaeus here.
    You mean one academic complaining about statues of Linnaeus on the university campus? Thanks for outing yourself as reading Sputnik, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

People are demanding the removal of statues of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Linnaeus here.
    Oh, I don't doubt the stupidity is gonna keep climbing on this issue, I just want the xenoi to keep these antics to their own countries, our anarchists are bad enough without wanting to destroy all these statues from our history.

That reminds me, don't tell these protesters there are ancient statues of Greek with braids/dreadlocks, or they will want to destroy these ancient statues that are more than 2500 years old for appropriating black culture.

- - - Updated - - -

She was 38 and she was stupid. You don't get to escape a judgement of your character when you decide to use violence where it's not necessary.
    I don't see it as a bad mark of character for hating extremists. My grandfather killed nazis and communists during WW2 and the Greek Civil War. Do you think it would be wrong to smack an ISIS fighter upside the head, too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    That reminds me, don't tell these protesters there are ancient statues of Greek with braids/dreadlocks, or they will want to destroy these ancient statues that are more than 2500 years old for appropriating black culture.
    There's really no need to be putting up strawmen like this.

Appropriation (and exploitation) of culture is an actual thing that happens and mocking the idea is promoted precisely because it allows people to excuse it. No one is going to come after these statues in any serious way because they are not representative of a continuing system of oppression in the same way confederate and a lot of other racist monumentation is.

So no, kouroi are not in danger.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yes, if the situation doesn't call for violence to be used you shouldn't attack someone.
    She smacked a guy with her purse, he's barely registering it. Hardly the act of brutality you're making it out to be.

Also, this is the fine, upstanding gentleman you're defending here:

"The man hit by Danielsson is identified as Seppo Seluska, a militant from the Nordic Realm Party later convicted for the torture and murder of a gay Jewish person."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wo...th_the_Handbag

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what monument we should pull down/repurpose, though?

Eyes on the prize, lads.

You have a weird idea of what defending means. Saying someone was stupid isn't defending the one they attacked.

I know where some ISIS fighters live who returned here, should I attack them if I see them out in the public?
    I won't lose any sleep if you did. They shouldn't have been allowed back in the first place.

It would be stupid to attack them.
    Agree to disagree. They deserve a short drop and a quick stop. Stupid is letting terrorists live free because reasons.

The reason they live free is because they weren't able to take them to court because they need actual proof. We have laws to combat that now but we can't smack them with laws that were introduced afterwards.
    Sounds pretty stupid to me. They should have lost their citizenship the day they went to fight for a raping, slaving, murdering terrorist army.

The only way they could lose citizenship if they obtained it lawfully is if they renounce it.
    Yeah, that is pretty stupid.

Petty vandalism is what you'd expect from low-IQ manchildren. If a bit of marble gets you so fanny flustered it needs to be removed, maybe have it done by professionals so it can be done safely and stored away. Else you might get your skull caved in. You know, like this dumbass:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-new...after-22176904

No, it isn't. To change it, we need to change the constitution and letting the parliament decide who should be stripped of their citizenship is a dangerous path to take. What's to say it won't be used in other ways in the future? All they'd have to do is label a group as terrorists and then they can strip the members from citizenship. That sound right to you?
    Well, if you defend the fact you have to live alongside ISIS fighters, you sort of lose your moral authority to say it's stupid to slap a Nazi.

It doesn't seem like you understand the extent of what could happen if the constitution was changed to allow for stripping citizenship. Why give them a tool like that?
    Oh no, I understand a Slippery Slope Fallacy when I see one.

You're assuming Sweden and Myanmar would behave exactly the same.

You're really going to a lot of length to defend the right for ISIS cockroaches to live in the very same societies they sought to destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Slow down cowboy. Stripping people of their citizenship isnt exactly accepted practice.
    And even if you didn't strip them of their citizenship, it should still be a simple matter to charge them with aiding and abetting terrorism by the very act of going and joining up with them.

Either way, I don't know whether to be surprised or not surprised by someone condemning violence against nazis and defending ISIS fighters' citizenship rights in the same beat.

Here the trend is for the renaming of streets and squares honoring Louis Agassiz, founder of Glaciology, due to Made in the USA controversy over his later writings on polygenism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Slow down cowboy. Stripping people of their citizenship isnt exactly accepted practice.
    We do that on repeat offenders holding a second nationality.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

You can't apply laws and penalties for violating them retroactively after their introduction.
    So it's legal for a Swede to become a terrorist? There's no penalty at all, he just gets to come home and go back to life as usual?

Interesting. Most civilized countries would view joining a terrorist organization as a criminal act in and of itself, I would presume. The US seems to be prosecuting most of the men coming back who joined ISIS.

No, we didn't have proper laws in place at the time to handle them. With the laws today they would most likely be in prison if they did it today.
    That is still pretty stupid to not have laws about it, considering terrorism's been an issue for generations, from multiple extremist groups.

No wonder women in Sweden have to take justice in to their own hands and smack nazis with their handbags, because the giant brains in Stockholm lag on making adequate laws.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Stuff like that should be remembered, but if this guy wasn't memorialized via statues and other commemorations, short of utterly devoting yourself to the study of the American Revolution in particular and researching the most cursory and obscure goings on of the time, you would probably never know anything about this; and even then you still probably wouldn't know about it since at the end of the day, he was just some random 21 year old dude hanged by the British in 1776...
    I mean, that's a pretty famous quote (basis: even I've heard of it) and I'd wager probably most of the people who have heard about him or know about him have never seen (or even knew there existed) a statue of him.

Maybe he's been immortalised in a Simpsons episode or some other modern popular culture. Will happily concede that's it could just one of those random things; that I'd heard of him and the quote (full disclaimer: If you'd asked me who said that quote I'd have probably drawn a blank but I knew *that* there was a young rebel who was hanged and had said the line at his execution)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    You crazy folks do whatever you want over in your places, just don't come to us and demand to destroy ancient statues that predate your whole country or anything. Zeus or other gods and heroes got fuck all to do with you, so keep away
    ancient Statues of gods and statues of slave holders or those who comitted genocides are like completly different things. How can they even be compared?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Was it Leopold 2 the one responsible for the atrocities in the Congo? Like I've said before, there are cases, and then there are cases. Some are clear, others are not. I mean it is clear why they exist, it's just current cultural currents that muddy the waters.
    Yep know as the Belgian Mad King.