Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    I am unsure if you understand what a traitor is...

To clarify a person declaring war on you isn't a traitor... A civil war isn't two sides of traitors fighting each other..
    A traitor is someone who declared their oath to the United States and then betrayed that oath. Which is pretty much every US politician and military personnel who joined the CSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    A traitor is someone who declared their oath to the United States and then betrayed that oath. Which is pretty much every US politician and military personnel who joined the CSA.
    I believe that they would say the same about those that didn't... I am starting to wonder just what your view of history is in general. I wonder if I would recognize any event you described or not.

I am unsure if you understand what a traitor is...

To clarify a person declaring war on you isn't a traitor... A civil war isn't two sides of traitors fighting each other..
    well depends who the statue is of.

technically George Washington was originally a British general sent over there to push back the french trying to take the colonies, so he had sworn and oath to the king, and to Britain, one which he renounced so he technically by most metrics was a traitor.

I believe that they would say the same about those that didn't... I am starting to wonder just what your view of history is in general. I wonder if I would recognize any event you described or not.
    “I, Robert E Lee, do solemnly swear to bear true allegiance to the United States of America, and to serve them honestly and faithfully, against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever, and to observe and obey the orders of the President of the United States of America.”
    Lee, ~1829 or 1830

Did Robert E Lee do that? No he did not. He was a traitor and so was every military man who followed suit.

Well yeah. But why do you think that's a point in your favour?

He'd probably say that the Civil War was over slavery.

You'd probably describe it as the "War of Northern Aggression"

He would call people that waged war against the country they swore to defend from all enemies traitors.

You'd probably call people that kneel during the national anthem during football games traitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well yeah. But why do you think that's a point in your favour?

He'd probably say that the Civil War was over slavery.

You'd probably describe it as the "War of Northern Aggression"

He would call people that waged war against the country they swore to defend from all enemies traitors.

You'd probably call people that kneel during the national anthem during football games traitors.
    Because I don't see the attempt to destroy historical monuments as a positive.

There really hasn't been a time when it was supported were it wasn't the precursor to something terrible happening.

There really hasn't been a time when it was supported were it wasn't the precursor to something terrible happening.
    Most of them aren't "historical monuments" they were statues put in place to remind certain people of "their place". Most of them are fairly recent.

You're being willfully ignorant and a very blatant troll, that, or are just really stupid.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Most of them aren't "historical monuments" they were statues put in place to remind certain people of "their place". Most of them are fairly recent.

You're being willfully ignorant and a very blatant troll, that, or are just really stupid.
    Can you define fairly recent for me?

I am assuming fairly recently exceeds a century on average doesn't it?

So, they should have left all those Hitler and Stalin statues alone?

So, they should have left all those Hitler and Stalin statues alone?
    Why is it that when people here slowly lose a argument they try to make the argument so absurd they can make a single counter point?

To my knowledge no one is currently tearing down Stalin statues and I doubt many Hitler statues survived shorty after his death.

I know you now want to move away from history to find some new vector to flail from but you know what... you don't have to.

Why is it that when people here slowly lose a argument they try to make the argument so absurd they can make a single counter point?

To my knowledge no one is currently tearing down Stalin statues and I doubt many Hitler statues survived shorty after his death.

I know you now want to move away from history to find some new vector to flail from but you know what... you don't have to.
    I'm not moving away from history. I'm asking why it was okay for Germany to take down statues of Hitler...but taking down statues of the Confederacy is somehow "erasing history"?

Can you define fairly recent for me?

I am assuming fairly recently exceeds a century on average doesn't it?
    More like built in the 20th century during 2 major periods the height of the Jim Crow laws early 20ths century and during the Civil Rights movement. Two periods that coincidentally where white people were trying to reaffirm over black people that they were the dominant race and that black people needed to learn their place.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    More like built in the 20th century during 2 major periods the height of the Jim Crow laws early 20ths century and during the Civil Rights movement. Two periods that coincidentally where white people were trying to reaffirm over black people that they were the dominant race and that black people needed to learn their place.
    [IM]https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/c_fill,g_auto,w_1200,h_675,ar_16:9/https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F170816135714-gfx-monuments-over-time-splc.jpg[/IMG]
    As an aside, I have always taken issue with it being called "Tulsa race riot"

It wasn't a race riot... it was a terrorist attack.. with fire bombing and airplanes and systematic looting, explosion and killing of black people.

Calling it "Tulsa race riot" instead of was it was. Like Tulsa Massacre, annoys me.

I'm not moving away from history. I'm asking why it was okay for Germany to take down statues of Hitler...but taking down statues of the Confederacy is somehow "erasing history"?
    I already answered. I get your trying to be dense now but there is a difference between something erected for a few years and erected for over a century.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    You know rather then copy paste a graph at the wrong resolution you can say " Yes,yes they are all mostly a century or more old"

It's always interesting when you see the same people consistently defending racism and police brutality in every possible thread.

I already answered. I get your trying to be dense now but there is a difference between something erected for a few years and erected for over a century.
    Why does it matter how long they were up? And what happened to Art being History? Isn't a Statue of Hitler as much a piece of Art as a Statue of Robert E. Lee?

Why does it matter how long they were up? And what happened to Art being History? Isn't a Statue of Hitler as much a piece of Art as a Statue of Robert E. Lee?
    I don't really think you grasp what historical means...

I don't really think you grasp what historical means...
    Wait...what?

Now I really want to hear how you "grasp" what Historical means.

Please, educate me. I really can't wait

Wait...what?

Now I really want to hear how you "grasp" what Historical means.

Please, educate me. I really can't wait

If something stood for less then ten years it doesn't have much historical value... your trying to compare something that lasted for generations with something that likely didn't last one.

I get your trying for sarcasm but when people actually have to explain basic concepts to you it misses the mark.

If something stood for less then ten years it doesn't have much historical value... your trying to compare something that lasted for generations with something that likely didn't last one.

I get your trying for sarcasm but when people actually have to explain basic concepts to you it misses the mark.
    That's not what "historical" means.

It doesn't matter how long something has stood. What matters is the impact it had.

Hitler had a pretty big impact on history. So much so that even the thought of building a monument to him is repulsive to most people.

Maybe you should educate yourself on why those confederate monuments were built and what they represent.

I get that you are trying to make it seem like anyone who questions you is somehow beneath you...but you're failing. Your arguments are inconsistent. You just keep on trying to throw shit at the wall until something sticks.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-06-22 at 04:07 AM.