15+ Year Old Account

Using a switch behind a powerline adapter

Hey savvy computer folks!

So I have a somewhat simple question. I have a Smart TV and PS4 Pro in my bedroom, for casual chill gaming and watching Netflix/Amazon Prime Video etc etc while chilling in my bed. However I don't have a ethernet socket in the wall and I live in an apartment where I'm not allowed to pull through cables, as I rent. So my solution to get cabled internet to both the PS4 and TV was to use a powerline adapter (1 end connected directly to my ISP's modem and then of course the other end in my bedroom) and then having that go to a switch, where I then connect both devices.

However, I've noticed that both devices seem to have trouble connecting to the internet this way, while if only one device is directly connected to the powerline adapter, there is no problem.

So here comes my question: Can you have a switch connected to a powerline adapter? Or is there some sort of conflict I'm unaware of?

At the end of the day I can always have the TV connect to the internet through WiFi, and only have the PS4 on cabled internet (or vice versa). I was just wondering if having a switch connected to a powerline adapter doesn't really work well, or if the switch could be malfunctioning or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes you can use a switch to split the connection.
    Hmm, okay. Strange that I'm having issues then. Then I'm thinking there is an issue with the switch. Thanks for the quick reply!

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way this wouldn't work is if you didn't have a router performing nat and supplying private IP addresses. Is the ISP supplied modem also a router or do you have one in between the modem and powerline adapter?