Page 1 of 2
LastLast

AMD ryzen 3600 running at 80C+ while gaming with stock cooler + asus tuf X570

Hey guys, I bought my ryzen 3600 (love it!) with the stock wraith cooler and an Asus tuf x570 but I noticed my cpu was running very hot and even peaked at 86C while gaming Cod and wow for 1-2 hours (nothing hardcore). Temps while gaming where constant at 70-77C which is not comfortable for me.
    I got a bit worried since even on idle it was at 50C (I find this way to hot coming from an i5 4690K).

Disclaimer and possible problems:

1. I removed the stock thermal paste from the wraith cooler (it had a lot btw from out of the box all ready applied), all the cooler plate was covered with it and replaced it with a pea size amount of Artic MX-4.

2. My mobo is missing the extra 4 pin power connection (750W old psu that only has an 8 pin CPU cord)

3. Need to update my BIOS

4. Set ram to their 3600mhz speed in current BIOS

spare evo 212 heatsink:
    I have an hyper evo 212 but lost the AMD bracket (only have the intel one) and was wondering where I can buy the AMD bracket only instead of buying the fan again. Having trouble finding it online in the first place.

Also I wish to buy an extra fan for my evo 212 but I also can't find online just the fan with the brackets to attach it to the metal radiator fins in order to have both intake and exhaust set up on it.

FYI: This was my previous post which made me go with the amd and x570 asus tuf plus wifi mobo: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-6-year-old-PC
    Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wachupita View Post
    1. I removed the stock thermal paste from the wraith cooler
    First thing I'd do is take off the heatsink, clean off CPU and heatsink, and re-apply. Chances are the issue is there. Overheating really only falls into a handful of categories, and on a new cooler, it's pretty much either incorrect/loose installation of heatsink, or the incredibly rare chances of a bad CPU or Mobo (Most bad mobos new are DOA)

2. My mobo is missing the extra 4 pin power connection (750W old psu that only has an 8 pin CPU cord)
    I didn't understand this at first until I looked at the board. I don't believe the extra 12v2 is mandatory. (8+4 configuration).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

1. Make sure you check that the spread is ok. It happens that the surface of the cooler bottom plate is not flat enough for a lot of stock coolers, that's why they use so much paste. Arctic MX-4 is a good choice tho.
    2. Non-factor. Your CPU will never pull that much power to need a second full 8-pin EPS.
    3. Wont change anything most likely.
    4. Wont influence CPU temperature in any significant way. Memory controller will never pull more than 6-8W.

So this is pretty normal for CoD - it's a very badly optimized game and it hammers the CPU for some reason. The temps are high but nothing to worry about. Things you can do are:
    - Paste replacement which you did already
    - Cooler replacement
    - Better airflow in the case
    - Controling voltage in BIOS. This is not for everyone but it's pretty easy to find out the safe voltage. Pretty common problem that the motherboards overvolt the CPU on auto settings, especially Gigabyte is notorious for this.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2020-06-17 at 08:04 AM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I'm having similar temps. Reapplying thermal paste and reinstalling the sink didn't change anything. Then I read somewhere this kind of temps is not uncommon for 3600 so I just let it stay
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I'm having similar temps. Reapplying thermal paste and reinstalling the sink didn't change anything. Then I read somewhere this kind of temps is not uncommon for 3600 so I just let it stay
    I don't think those temps are common at all.

What I do when I apply thermal paste is spread it out evenly across the CPU surface (something that would be done by the heatsink's pessure, but better). I found Arctic Silver thermal paste better than MX4, but that doesn't explain the temps you're having.

I wouldn't just accept these temps; something's obviously wrong if you peak 80° in games which barely stress your CPU.

- Are you sure your heatsink isn't loose?
    - Have you tried carefully touching the CPU heatsink? Does it feel very hot to the touch?
    - What's your vcore? Is it higher than 1.1v? If so, how much higher? Does it fluctuate a lot? Maybe you need to set a ~ -0.1 off-set.
    - Have you also checken your VRM temps?

The stock cooler is pretty horrible. You can get a decent AIO for about €80 nowadays. I'd look into the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280, if I were you.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-06-17 at 08:37 AM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    The stock cooler is pretty bad but those temps still seem higher than they should be. Do you have bad airflow in your case? Also, which BIOS version are you using?

Install the chipset drivers if you haven't, use the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan in Windows

Set the following options in the BIOS, usually found under something like "CPU Features" or "AMD CBS"

Global C-state Control = Enabled
    Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
    CPPC = Enabled
    CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
    AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
    PPC Adjustment = PState 0

I'm not surprised by the temperatures. I had to redo my case setup when I switched from a 6600k to a 3700x. I still have a build thats both hotter and louder though.

There's threads on the AMD forums with replies by AMD staff saying temps in the 80s are normal.

I'd look at a decent air cooler will keep up with most water coolers, will be considerably cheaper and not have nasty stock fans like somer of the Corsair offerings. It looks like the 212 AM4 bracket has been discontinued and the replacement kit has really bad reviews. The SKU for the current part is 601015622-GP, but it might be easier just to get a new cooler if you can afford it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wachupita View Post
    Hey guys, I bought my ryzen 3600 (love it!) with the stock wraith cooler and an Asus tuf x570 but I noticed my cpu was running very hot and even peaked at 86C while gaming Cod and wow for 1-2 hours (nothing hardcore). Temps while gaming where constant at 70-77C which is not comfortable for me.
    I got a bit worried since even on idle it was at 50C (I find this way to hot coming from an i5 4690K).

Disclaimer and possible problems:

1. I removed the stock thermal paste from the wraith cooler (it had a lot btw from out of the box all ready applied), all the cooler plate was covered with it and replaced it with a pea size amount of Artic MX-4.
    Seems high. Make sure cooler is applied properly. You can pull it off and check the spread of paste, if it looks even then it's probably fine

Doesn't matter. Just means you can push less maximum current to the VRM, which means lower max power draw. A single 8pin is plenty to keep a 3600 fed. Hell it's enough for a 3950x if you don't overclock

3. Need to update my BIOS
    Shouldn't reduce temps too much, or at all.

4. Set ram to their 3600mhz speed in current BIOS
    Shouldn't affect CPU temps.

Overall, it's likely just a bad thermal paste application, or it could be an uneven IHS/Cooler coldplate. Either will give you very high temps.

spare evo 212 heatsink:
    I have an hyper evo 212 but lost the AMD bracket (only have the intel one) and was wondering where I can buy the AMD bracket only instead of buying the fan again. Having trouble finding it online in the first place.

Also I wish to buy an extra fan for my evo 212 but I also can't find online just the fan with the brackets to attach it to the metal radiator fins in order to have both intake and exhaust set up on it.
    You can try contacting Cooler Master, they should be willing to sell you the adapter bracket at basically just shipping cost. As for another fan, they might be willing to also send you another bracket to attach the fan with, but I wouldn't bet on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    contact me thru PM and i will arrange to get you the two pieces needed for your Hyper 212. Im using the Intel bracket and have no need for the AMD pieces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brostin View Post
    I'm not surprised by the temperatures. I had to redo my case setup when I switched from a 6600k to a 3700x. I still have a build thats both hotter and louder though.
    These temps I would definitely not call common. It might be a common problem, but not common normal. I've built about 30-50 Ryzen 3600 systems and all of them run sub-60s during benchmarking and burn in.

There's threads on the AMD forums with replies by AMD staff saying temps in the 80s are normal.
    Normal, or acceptable?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

So just ran a quick test on my AMD 3600 cpu.

So my cpu cooler is the cryrig H5 universal with 2 fans, however the max speed these get to run at is just under 1000 RPM but they run at like 400-600 typically.

I ran OCCT, ran the test, was on 62 degrees average at stock settings ( AMD does overvolt slightly) but thats where I expect this to be at, I know if I tweak the voltages, I can bring it lower but no need to really, thats not hot for all my fans running at the lowest speed they can do with the CPU being stressed at 100%.

Something is either wrong with your CPU or the cooler just isn't mounted properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The stock cooler is pretty bad but those temps still seem higher than they should be. Do you have bad airflow in your case? Also, which BIOS version are you using?

Install the chipset drivers if you haven't, use the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan in Windows

Set the following options in the BIOS, usually found under something like "CPU Features" or "AMD CBS"

Global C-state Control = Enabled
    Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
    CPPC = Enabled
    CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
    AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
    PPC Adjustment = PState 0
    - Airflow barely affects CPU temperatures

- Installing newer chipset drivers (if they're even newer than the Windows update ones) probably won't do anything for your temps.

- Balanced power plan in Windows and the use of C-states can actually make the v-core fluctuate even more and quite frankly, shouldn't be needed to warrant decent temperatures.

1. Remove the stock cooler
    2. clean both CPU and heatsink well
    3. reapply and manually spread thermal paste
    4. reapply stock cooled

5. Check your temps idle and write them down
    6. Run AIDA64 for ~10 minutes and write down the load temps

7. If the temps are still too high - e.g. your situation hasn't change - try applying a negative vcore off-set in the bios.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Normal, or acceptable?
    Normality is always dependant on the conditions, and yeah, with the stock cooler it's normal. Acceptable aswell, if it wasnt the stock cooler would've been better.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2020-06-18 at 01:12 PM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Normality is always dependant on the conditions, and yeah, with the stock cooler it's normal. Acceptable aswell, if it wasnt stock cooler would've been better.
    I really don't think those temps are normal.

I wonder if he'll give an update after having changed a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I really don't think those temps are normal.

I wonder if he'll give an update after having changed a few things.
    It is normal. CoD gives a lot of people running stock coolers blue screens.

check to make sure your motherboard isn't invisibly overvolting your CPU. HWInfo did a bit on power reporting deviation.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/hw...pected)%20data.

Before anyone freak out, anywhere in the ballpark of 95% to 100% is normal, and you really only should be concerned if it is lower than 95% because it could potentially mean your CPU is getting more voltage than it's asking for. More voltage = more heat, so this could cause higher temps.

It is normal. CoD gives a lot of people running stock coolers blue screens.
    What does this have to do with anything? I think you're just talking from your ass now.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    What does this have to do with anything? I think you're just talking from your ass now.
    Just google CoD MW blue screen or CoD warzone blue screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would CoD make his system idle temp 50c or WoW go to 85c?

Eh, again, what?