Thread: SMF is back!

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

SMF is back!

Single-Minded Fury (New) While dual-wielding a pair of one-handed weapons, your damage done is increased by 8% and your movement speed is increased by 5%. Requires One-Handed Melee Weapon. Warrior - Fury Spec. Warrior - Fury Spec.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    cool...

RAVAGER NOW CHASES YOUR TARGET!

(Also it generates rage so it's not utterly useless for prot)

Hmmm... this is neat and I might have to swap mains from DK to warrior then since Frost isn't really getting the same love.. I'm hoping that they decide to do something to balance the difference between Dual Wield and Two Handed frost like they're doing with Titan's Grip and SMF, but it's not looking good.

I've mained DK since WotLK but I mained Warrior before (and currently am doing so again as Fury DPS in classic) so I might go that option.

I was just posting about this too.. It's silly though, it seems they have scrapped the idea of having it equally balanced with 2handers and gone with the idea of it being different again, so you're back to the situation where situationally depending one will be marginally better than the other, which is unnecessary. But I'm not going to complain, they finally moved their lazy asses after 2 expansions and brought it back, people will be very pleased.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Now give us Gladiator

Was kind of expecting this change since fdks got back 2h
    Big w for warriors

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Now give us Gladiator
    hey look, someone talking about a returning feature and immediately asking for something else. good luck with glad, its probably not coming back

Ok, so what's the catch?

For frost dks two-handed is back but its slower speed means fewer procs that go off of autoattacks, so it's not really an option over dual wield if you're going for the best performance.

So what's the loss for Fury besides the obvious lower stats because one handers have lower stats than two handers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I was just posting about this too.. It's silly though, it seems they have scrapped the idea of having it equally balanced with 2handers and gone with the idea of it being different again, so you're back to the situation where situationally depending one will be marginally better than the other, which is unnecessary. But I'm not going to complain, they finally moved their lazy asses after 2 expansions and brought it back, people will be very pleased.
    Well they can always tweak the numbers to make it more balanced if one is a miles ahead of another.

You're right that it is a little odd they're differentiating them with the move speed thing though. That is a bit odd... Might as well make them functionally the same as much as they can. Would be weird if I needed to go one handers for fights with a lot of mvoement

10+ Year Old Account
    SMF getting its own passive makes me think they have plans for might of the frozen wastes.

congrats warriors

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Ok, so what's the catch?

For frost dks two-handed is back but its slower speed means fewer procs that go off of autoattacks, so it's not really an option over dual wield if you're going for the best performance.

So what's the loss for Fury besides the obvious lower stats because one handers have lower stats than two handers?
    The two hand Frost thing is incorrect actually. The PPM of Killing Machine is such that there should not be a difference between 1 handers and 2 handers according to those testing alpha.

SMF is good for the customisation but it's going to have the same problem it's had forever, whatever is stronger gets played. For the same of customisation it really should have been a transmog option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    The two hand Frost thing is incorrect actually. The PPM of Killing Machine is such that there should not be a difference between 1 handers and 2 handers according to those testing alpha.
    I don't know where you got that information but it's been mathed out on the discord you need 38% crit to break even on KM procs when compared DW's swing speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I don't know where you got that information but it's been mathed out on the discord you need 38% crit to break even on KM procs when compared DW's swing speed.
    Interesting. Then initial information was probably just inaccurate or an assumption.

I don't have alpha access and nobody seems to be actually publicly discussing Frost DKs aside from very very VERY shallow analysis from people like Preach or Bellular.

I've tried scouring the googles to no avail.

There's a lot of questions I actually have; How are the two weapon types balanced (I see the formula differences on things like Frost Strike and Obliterate where it shows 2 hand calculation and dual wield calculation but I have zero idea what the math checks out to)? How good are any of the new runeforges in general? Nobody seems to talk about that AT ALL. In fact, I don't think anybody has really even talked about the new runeforges aside from a passing, "Hey look at this." lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Interesting. Then initial information was probably just inaccurate or an assumption.

I don't have alpha access and nobody seems to be actually publicly discussing Frost DKs aside from very very VERY shallow analysis from people like Preach or Bellular.
    Here's an in-depth testing vod. Essentially the problem (other then runeforges) is 2h hits slower than the possible PPM for KM so you're essentially always 'wasting' potential procs and the only way to make up for the 'missed swings' is to stack insane crit.
    DW doesn't need that crit so it's free to stack other secondaries (which again is compounded by the runeforge issue, razorice with more mastery = more damage).

Basically if blizzard does nothing on the back end 2h is massively behind DW from the start.
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2020-06-17 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    ... people will be very pleased.
    Or they will cry even more than before if the SMF does 0.001% less overall damage. It seems to me that doing less damage will feel worse than not having something

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Now give us Gladiator
    Hate to admit it but I miss gladiator as well.

But i guess if they did that, it would require a lot of investment time from blizzard to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyCoding View Post
    Or they will cry even more than before if the SMF does 0.001% less overall damage. It seems to me that doing less damage will feel worse than not having something
    History will repeat itself for sure, but the people crying weren't exactly world class players. I think in some raids SMF was actually stronger than TG on paper but TG had better weapons available so was still the ultimate choice. Memory is a little hazy but I think that was the case in Dragon Soul and Hellfire Citadel, maybe Blackrock Foundry too?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Here's an in-depth testing vod. Essentially the problem (other then runeforges) is 2h hits slower than the possible PPM for KM so you're essentially always 'wasting' potential procs and the only way to make up for the 'missed swings' is to stack insane crit.
    DW doesn't need that crit so it's free to stack other secondaries (which again is compounded by the runeforge issue, razorice with more mastery = more damage).

Basically if blizzard does nothing on the back end 2h is massively behind DW from the start.
    Neat. Thanks a ton for posting this for me.

This is exactly what I had figured would happen which is very VERY unfortunate. I have always loved 2 hand Frost. If they can make SMF and Titan's Grip work together then there's no reason they can't do something for 2hand.

I feel like we need to be able to slap 2 runeforges onto one 2 hander and to get some adjustments to abilities that proc from Auto Attacks to make them function the same. A man can dream...

FUCK YEAH! awesome news, i waited far far too long for this. THank you! I hope they can balance it better this time.
    No doubts left. Was wondering if it is time to switch to something else after playing solely warrior since vanilla. so fucking excited now