Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Price: Roughly 1000. First time building. Want something reliable.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/czbktp

Been spending the day putting together a build, I've needed a new computer for a long time and my last two were pre builts. The main thing I'm looking for is it being reliable. I dont really intend on going past 60fps, likely wont be moving past 1080p any time soon, just want something that'll last me 3 or so years and play most things, maybe not at ultra, but at a respectable level.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

in the future, just post the whole build.

There is a "T" button on the top bar, hit that and copypasta. Easier for everyone.

Here's the build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/czbktp

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.89 @ Walmart)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $841.81
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-17 21:19 EDT-0400
    Unless you're REALLY pinching pennies here (in which case, why are you buying RGB RAM?), id get a better GPU than that RX 580. Get at least a 1660 SUPER, and really i'd recommend a 2060 KO.

Rest of it looks...

I'd replace that Motherboard with the ASRock B450M Pro4 instead. Its not make or break, but its a better board for the same money or thereabouts. (Nevermind, they appear to be out of stock everywhere).

Dont waste your money on that Samsung SSD. You will never see a performance difference between that and a much cheaper drive from Crucial, Team, or WD. You can get a 1TB WD Blue for only about 10$ more than that Samsung.

That PSU is massive overkill. System isnt going to pull more than 300W at the wall on a bad day.

Try something more like this instead:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngn8BZ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.89 @ Walmart)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($299.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($81.87 @ Newegg)
    Total: $896.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-17 21:28 EDT-0400
    Cheaper, perfectly good PSU, much better GPU (will handle 1080p/60/Ultra for much longer, which the RX 580 is already struggling with in some games), much cheaper SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    in the future, just post the whole build.

There is a "T" button on the top bar, hit that and copypasta. Easier for everyone.

Here's the build:

Unless you're REALLY pinching pennies here (in which case, why are you buying RGB RAM?), id get a better GPU than that RX 580. Get at least a 1660 SUPER, and really i'd recommend a 2060 KO.

Rest of it looks...

I'd replace that Motherboard with the ASRock B450M Pro4 instead. Its not make or break, but its a better board for the same money or thereabouts. (Nevermind, they appear to be out of stock everywhere).

Dont waste your money on that Samsung SSD. You will never see a performance difference between that and a much cheaper drive from Crucial, Team, or WD. You can get a 1TB WD Blue for only about 10$ more than that Samsung.

That PSU is massive overkill. System isnt going to pull more than 300W at the wall on a bad day.

Try something more like this instead:

Cheaper, perfectly good PSU, much better GPU (will handle 1080p/60/Ultra for much longer, which the RX 580 is already struggling with in some games), much cheaper SSD.
    The RGB wasnt required I just didnt see any price difference when looking for what to get, didnt even realize it had it till later.
    Every mobo I look at is sold out or marked up by 2x on amazon. I had originally looked at that exact one you put up, but it was "sold out" an hour ago.
    I had heard you wanted a 50% or so bit of extra wattage from needed when getting a PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    The RGB wasnt required I just didnt see any price difference when looking for what to get, didnt even realize it had it till later.
    Every mobo I look at is sold out or marked up by 2x on amazon. I had originally looked at that exact one you put up, but it was "sold out" an hour ago.
    I had heard you wanted a 50% or so bit of extra wattage from needed when getting a PSU.
    B450 boards are getting scarce because B550 just launched.

You might be able to find a good B550 board in that price range instead (though maybe not since it looks like board partners went a little nuts with the pricing on B550).

And for PSUs... meh. You need overhead, but 750 was easily twice what that system will draw. the 3600 is 65W. Even that 2060 i put in the second build is ~150W. Everything else would maybe add up to 50W more, and thats if you were running it under full-power, stress test conditions.

You can run a Core i9 and an RTX 2080Ti on 600W with room to spare, so you definitely didnt need 750W. That EVGA Semi-modular in the second build will do just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/czbktp

Been spending the day putting together a build, I've needed a new computer for a long time and my last two were pre builts. The main thing I'm looking for is it being reliable. I dont really intend on going past 60fps, likely wont be moving past 1080p any time soon, just want something that'll last me 3 or so years and play most things, maybe not at ultra, but at a respectable level.
    Any particular reason you're wanting a PC right now? Right now just really isn't a good time to get a new PC if you can afford to wait.

though maybe not since it looks like board partners went a little nuts with the pricing on B550
    It's not their fault, the chipset is more expensive itself and they need PCIe gen 4 compatible substrates, which they didn't need on B450. Both of those add cost. A lot of cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Any particular reason you're wanting a PC right now? Right now just really isn't a good time to get a new PC if you can afford to wait.
    why is it not a good time now, and when would be an ideal time?

Quote Originally Posted by haediff View Post
    There are new GPUs coming from both major camps that are going to be -significantly- faster than the current ones at roughly the same price points.

Some people will also say that AMD is going to release Zen 3 chips (Ryzen 4000... sorta..) "soon" but this is increasingly unlikely as they JUST released a Zen 2 refresh like.. yesterday.

Zen 3 is likely being pushed to Q1 2021 to try to spike Intel's next-gen 10nm desktop chips. And even if they were... Zen 3 isn't going to be as big of a push as the new GPUs are.

If you can afford to wait, wait.

If you have to have a system RIGHT NAO for whatever reason (literally have no computer, etc) then my recommendation would be to build the base rig (CPU, MoBo, RAM, Storage, Case, PSU) to your desired spec, and then buy a cheap (used if you have a used market near you) "placeholder" GPU to get the machine running, and then replace it with one of the new GPUs when they launch.

New GPUs are tipped for early Sept "launch", which will mean widespread availability in late Sept or Early Oct (the first few weeks they will sell out immediately).

If you can wait, wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haediff View Post
    Stock (and price) on everything is fucked due to Corona Virus, new GPUs in 2-3 months, new CPUs in 6.

It's not their fault, the chipset is more expensive itself and they need PCIe gen 4 compatible substrates, which they didn't need on B450. Both of those add cost. A lot of cost.
    I think the problem with that theory is that there are X570 boards that have all those things, and are cheaper.

So B550 making a 40-50$ jump for what is basically the same board seems.... extreme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zen 3 is likely being pushed to Q1 2021 to try to spike Intel's next-gen 10nm desktop chips. And even if they were... Zen 3 isn't going to be as big of a push as the new GPUs are.
    Zen 3 is still slated to launch 2020. There has been no announcement of any change on that regard

- - - Updated - - -

I think the problem with that theory is that there are X570 boards that have all those things, and are cheaper.

So B550 making a 40-50$ jump for what is basically the same board seems.... extreme.
    20-30 dollars more for the chipset, and 10-20 dollars for the substrate.

At least if I'm correct

Zen 3 is still slated to launch 2020. There has been no announcement of any change on that regard
    The mistake you're making is misremembering that there was ever an announcement that it would be released in 2020. There wasn't. There was a slide at a show of a "roadmap" which is not an announcement. That slide also didn't have a mid-year refresh for Zen 2 on it, and yet that just released.

20-30 dollars more for the chipset, and 10-20 dollars for the substrate.

At least if I'm correct
    Which has nothing to do with what i said, as there are X570 boards that must have the same costs (PCIe capable Substrate, a more expensive chipset) that are cheaper than almost all of the B550 boards.

Youre literally better off buying X570, which is stupid.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a problem with your choices. Hard to save much more than that without cheaping out and getting stuff that will be obsolete soon.

One tip I would suggest is bulk shopping on Newegg instead of Amazon, particularly for motherboards. Newegg is just.. better and has actual deals and bundles, you might be able to find a bundle and get more for around the same. Amazon just mimics the market and corrals random untrusted vendors together.

Another tip is if you really want a good GPU no matter the cost, go to eBay. Find the most trusted seller you can find with many sales under their belt and buy used GPU. You might be able to swipe a used 2060 on the cheap until you can afford a brand new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mistake you're making is misremembering that there was ever an announcement that it would be released in 2020. There wasn't. There was a slide at a show of a "roadmap" which is not an announcement. That slide also didn't have a mid-year refresh for Zen 2 on it, and yet that just released.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl.../#84a370f18935

Zen 3 is launching in 2020. Can we stop with the speculations now?

10+ Year Old Account
    As Shaka just posted.. This is literally an announcement that it's releasing in 2020. Released yesterday.
    Or another source: https://www.techpowerup.com/268650/a...launch-in-2020

Or the article I was referring to originally, which released a couple days ago: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-40...s-performance/
    AMD has confirmed that both the new Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 graphics cards are on track for release later this year
    Which has nothing to do with what i said, as there are X570 boards that must have the same costs (PCIe capable Substrate, a more expensive chipset) that are cheaper than almost all of the B550 boards.
    Which is true. But that's because X570 costs have had almost an entire year to lower due to scale. B550 are still new, so the scale of manufacturing is smaller, so price per unit is higher.

Youre literally better off buying X570, which is stupid.
    I mean, kinda.
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-06-18 at 09:02 AM.

Stock (and price) on everything is fucked due to Corona Virus, new GPUs in 2-3 months, new CPUs in 6.
    If its fucked due to covid-19 isnt it just going to keep getting worse till next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

Zen 3 is launching in 2020. Can we stop with the speculations now?
    They can say w/e they want. You wont be able to buy it until 2021, at least for midrange parts, which is what everyone wants. We've been over this multiple times already with AMD and Intel. They launch in November, you can buy top parts for the holiday season and then the midrange parts arrive in February at best for everyone who didnt preorder with their friendly retailer.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    If its fucked due to covid-19 isnt it just going to keep getting worse till next year?
    Not really.

Without getting too deep, Corona Virus starting really rearing its head in China around Lunar New Years (2-4 weeks vacation), so factories were slow to start up, meaning lower supply. This has largely been solved at this point. Factories are generally running at their capacity again now.
    Right now the problem is shipping, with components literally sitting on a dock somewhere in China waiting for a boat with enough space to take it to the US or EU, but they're loaded with other things. This is getting solved slowly. Should return to normal in a month or two from what I've heard, so expect 2-3 months for normal availability (If my info is correct)

Not really.

Without getting too deep, Corona Virus starting really rearing its head in China around Lunar New Years (2-4 weeks vacation), so factories were slow to start up, meaning lower supply. This has largely been solved at this point. Factories are generally running at their capacity again now.
    Right now the problem is shipping, with components literally sitting on a dock somewhere in China waiting for a boat with enough space to take it to the US or EU, but they're loaded with other things. This is getting solved slowly. Should return to normal in a month or two from what I've heard, so expect 2-3 months for normal availability (If my info is correct)
    Not going to be a month. From what I've heard they had to alter production plans due to stuff not being shipped (April) and now China might be heading into 2nd wave of the pandemic, so we can expect production disruption to continue. When it comes to shipping the backlog is not that long afaik, so the main problem is going to be production rather than shipping (unless they close borders again, obviously, which I dont think is going to happen).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Not going to be a month. From what I've heard they had to alter production plans due to stuff not being shipped (April) and now China might be heading into 2nd wave of the pandemic, so we can expect production disruption to continue. When it comes to shipping the backlog is not that long afaik, so the main problem is going to be production rather than shipping (unless they close borders again, obviously, which I dont think is going to happen).
    Wait, China is getting a 2nd wave?

Oh, wow, yeah that'll fuck up the availability again.

For those of us looking to build a PC now, how much would we save by waiting and how long do we have to wait?