Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    We did do that... back to fightinf is exactly what I said they helped in the fourth war.. you know they ventured out in the world and then war happend. That line is possible where ever it fits and with the nightborne it fits. They are dreaking advetures my friend. They were in a bubble for 10k years. They are basically started playing vanilla at that point. Its realy just your opinion, But I just think you got it wrong.
    Yeh you're right, totlaly, it is entirely my opinion. they do have something - but if we were to take it up a notch in say new race campaigns, this is the sort of thing I think they'd be upt to

For me (again opinion), it just seems a race needs more than wandering the world. Adventuring makes sense to be one of the things this people is excited about, especially as you point out they're locked out for 10k years, but as a race, when blizzard get back to them (if they ever do), they're going to need to give them some serious objectives too - and to me, re-uniting the elves like they are use to as nightborne, and like the Highborne oversaw in the elves most prolific era, seems to be exactly the sort of thing Nightborne/Highborne types would want to do. Besides when I look at it, they need really need to do somethign - they're dropping like flies. A lot of nightborne died, they're a fraction of what they once were, night elves, their direct kin were almost wiped out, the Thalassians too recently had a genocide, and they're still fighting - surely some elven groups are going to want to stop all that - and it's the Highborne/Nightborne type that seem the sort.

Ofc other objectives that make sense would be restoring/rebuilding their civilisation - they love that stuff the most, and are very proud of it, the rest of the world and the elves are still in tatters in comparison - they would want to show them how to do it right and show them how amazing they are worthy of adoration - it fits the vanity of the pre-sundering era kaldorei types - which are the Nightborne and Highborne.

They are also nobles and leaders, they would be very concerned about the horde and alliance constantly fighting each other and seeping up their people in their hatreds, and are the most likely candidates to focus on trying to "manage" or manipulate the two factions to prevent all out war while trying to unite their kin who hate each other. I could see them secretly conspiring to do this in both the alliance and hte horde, and roping in Dalaran to work towards that objectives. Likely using their great magical knowledge, intellect and expertise to "guide" /steer Dalaran back to that role it use to play in the first war, and I'm sure it's exactly the sort of thing Dalaran would be on board with.

These are just ideas ofc, blizzard can go any way they want, But if they return to races, especially race campaigns, they'd have to start giving races plots and plans, directions etc, and it's gotta be more than just adventuring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    He got his desire when the few living Highborne rejoined the other Kaldorei, aka NElfs. That's what NElf mages are, they Highborne.
    But he wants them to be a visible, powerful group, he wants them to have cities and infrastucture, pre-sundering kaldorei level of majesty - blizzard did this already, in the Nightborne, . he wants them to duplicate the effort for the night elves, because "they had it first"? Rather than switch to the nightborne or support a cause that brings the Highborne together with the Nightborne on the Nightborne's turf. He would turn the Darnassians into pre-sundering night elves, rather than just go with the new flow which is: Highborne/Nightborne do the civilziation thing, Darnassians do the forest long/vigil thing.

Instead he wants the Nightborne to either join the alliance or Suramar to go to the Darnassians - it's just unreasonable - and what of the Nightborne? he'd have them irrelevant or secondary in their own city, it's just not balanced. It's far better that the Highborne work on the broken isles involved in nightborne affairs rather than try to bring all the Darnassians over .. the broken isles is the ancient kaldorei world and state, the one the Darnassians left behind a long time ago, ordinarily they won't be wanting to focus on restoring that - but the Highborne would as would the Nightborne - as they're the ones who've been living in that world/mindset all this time.

The Darnassians would be far more interested in getting Kalimdor back, places like Ashenvale, Hyjal etc and the forests they've been living in for 10k years would mean far more to them than re-establishing a full civilisation. sure they'd build a city, but just the one would be enough for them, they'd not be caring about rebuilding pre-sundering kaldorei.

But he doesn't see this. The Highborne work well being invovled with what the Nightborne do on the broken isles, arcane magic and kaldorei civilisation related, a night world civilisation based with a different group of arcane friendly druids hoping to keep the elves in balance and priestesses too who've shown their willingness to help and work with Nightborne (unlike Tyrande who wouldn't want to stay with the Nightborne and who doesn't care much about the things they care about), in a civilisation reminiscent of the pre-sundeirng.. while Kalimdor Darnassians have their new life but more reminiscent of the long vigil.

It works well imo, he just doesn't want to see it. I see it, @Tanaria sees it, it really actually makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Beloren; 2020-09-07 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    But don’t you see, blizz isn’t interested in expanding your night elves to have more powerful groups, they made a faction of the druids, the order of Elune and the Ilidari, and they ddi make a faction of the highborne too, the Shen’dralar – but they didn’t expand or develop them, instead they chose to create the Nightborne and filled it with the wonders of the kaldorei empire.
    How do you know what blizz is interested in? They change their minds so often, and pull things out of thin air and can jump to any focus, don’t pretend like you know what they’re going to do, or plan, you aren’t putting words in their minds by saying htat. You are not their spokes person.

No you don’t get it that doesn’t stop me from wanting my highborne or night elf arcane fantasy to develop and be it’s thing. In fact it makes me want to see the night elf arcane faction rise up even more. If the Illidari can be powerful and develop, the druids powerful and develop, and the sme ofr the order of elune, why not the Highborne night elf group?

Having Nightborne is not an excuse, so because the horde had blood elves, did it stop alliance fans of high elves wnating htem developed? Arcane wielding night elves have been a powerful part of night elf lore for decades, and loved dearly by a number of us – can you not understand it’s not the same as Nightborne – especially if to enjoy it you want us to switch to the side you’ve written us to hate?

If the night elf arcnae wilding group is already there, why not give htem something for the fans that love them? Why try to ferry us all into become hordies? We liked the night elves and got attached to them via the alliance and they designed it so, and now you say we should switch because our fantasy is stronger on the other side?

I say, no, make our fantasy strong on our side.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    How do you know what blizz is interested in? They change their minds so often, and pull things out of thin air and can jump to any focus, don’t pretend like you know what they’re going to do, or plan, you aren’t putting words in their minds by saying htat. You are not their spokes person.

No you don’t get it that doesn’t stop me from wanting my highborne or night elf arcane fantasy to develop and be it’s thing. In fact it makes me want to see the night elf arcane faction rise up even more. If the Illidari can be powerful and develop, the druids powerful and develop, and the sme ofr the order of elune, why not the Highborne night elf group?

Having Nightborne is not an excuse, so because the horde had blood elves, did it stop alliance fans of high elves wnating htem developed? Arcane wielding night elves have been a powerful part of night elf lore for decades, and loved dearly by a number of us – can you not understand it’s not the same as Nightborne – especially if to enjoy it you want us to switch to the side you’ve written us to hate?

If the night elf arcnae wilding group is already there, why not give htem something for the fans that love them? Why try to ferry us all into become hordies? We liked the night elves and got attached to them via the alliance and they designed it so, and now you say we should switch because our fantasy is stronger on the other side?

I’m not trying to stop you from wanting anything, But are you sure you’re not letting partisan anger blind you from seeing this is a better way that works well for you? Think about it, there is nothing wrong with having the Highborne play pivotal roles with the Nightborne to establish something different from what the Darnassians or Illidari are about – something kaldorei civilisation and restoration orientated, you know the pre-sundering stuff that they and the Nightborne share – you use to support the idea of the two night elven groups working together, except in your version you wanted the Darnassians involved and either sharing Suramar or taking it over. Which is just not feasible.

It’s much more reasonable and makes for better story telling that the arcane night elf faction is the one works with the Nightborne for a neutral non-faction related goal.. rather than all the Darnassians who even after Legion, are still years away from overcoming all their prejudices against the Highborne caste and night elven arcane users.. which is why we still see some cases of Highborne prejudice and phobia by night elves (most recently Shandris).

So it makes sense to show off the night elf arcane group well in this new venture with the Highborne , and their hopes of bringing the Darnassians round and eventually uniting their fractured peoples and fully restoring their civilisation - a goal they can be a about for the rest of wow’s life time, because they’d take a while to achieve that one – but their story and objective can be about that.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Enigmaaddict

It makes sense, because thats their story at the end of Legion. Bfa brought them closer within the horde and at the end of bfa even making thalyssra a council member.

Thats their story up until this point, its not like every race has an venture out in the world story.. the nightborne where locked away for 10 k years... why woulsnt it fit? You maybe find is shortcoming or something like that and I do think that they deserve more story, but they and neither do I, care about the night elves. So I dont want to see the story being forcefully pushed into that direction and I want to see them grow within the horde and not so much as a we are all friends with all elves story. There is no indication or motivation to push that story.

Anyway thats my opinion. So you would safe yourself alot of time to stop trying to convince me

I also stopped reading essays a long time ago with ravenmoon. No one is gonna read wall of headcanon.. that time has passed.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2020-09-07 at 05:37 PM.

Arcane wielding night elves have been a powerful part of night elf lore for decades
    Love - as far as the WoW lore goes, arcane night elves have only been a thing since WoW began and that has only been a decade and a half.
    At the end of Warcraft 3, the only known "Highborne" that we knew about were the Naga and High/Blood Elves.

I mean, even then, we didn't know all that much about them, except that they were/are magic users as the Naga were the only known, still existing "Highborne" that we knew about.

The Shen'dralar were an addition to WoW which came out in 2004 and with all due respect, they weren't necessary for the overall story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    Love - as far as the WoW lore goes, arcane night elves have only been a thing since WoW began and that has only been a decade and a half.
    At the end of Warcraft 3, the only known "Highborne" that we knew about were the Naga and High/Blood Elves.

I mean, even then, we didn't know all that much about them, except that they were/are magic users as the Naga were the only known, still existing "Highborne" that we knew about.

The Shen'dralar were an addition to WoW which came out in 2004 and with all due respect, they weren't necessary for the overall story.
    Exactly, but we'll likely hear an essay on what he means by that.

@Enigmaaddict

It makes sense, because thats their story at the end of Legion. Bfa brought them closer within the horde and at the end of bfa even making thalyssra a council member.

Thats their story up until this point, its not like every race has an venture out in the world story.. the nightborne where locked away for 10 k years... why woulsnt it fit? You maybe find is shortcoming or something like that and I do think that they deserve more story, but they and neither do I, care about the night elves. So I dont want to see the story being forcefully pushed into that direction and I want to see them grow within the horde and not so much as a we are all friends with all elves story. There is no indication or motivation to push that story.

Anyway thats my opinion. So you would safe yourself alot of time to stop trying to convince me

I also stopped reading essays a long time ago with ravenmoon. No one is gonna read wall of headcanon.. that time has passed.

Gotcha. I won’t try to convince you. Just maybe explain my motivation if you’d permit one final essay from me

I want them to have a story with a powerful and meaningful purpose and I want it to involve the Highborne too in a good way to create a solution for this side of the night elves that the Nightborne represent and much argument exists over.

I think it is a good choice given their racial background, setting and character and it allows them a lot of outside interaction too in stark contrast to the Darnassians. So it’s not just arcane magic and civilisation that are the only contrasts.

I also thought a horde race trying to find peaceful and working solutions for collaboration would be very good and paint the horde in a good light. They are excellent candidates for this because their story has this strong connection to the night elves and we see friendly interactions between them and the local night elves and also have very strong basis to get on well with the Highborne. It’s also their noble character

It also solves the problem of alliance fans crying for Nightborne and for Suramar and secures both for the horde. No high elf repeat. Not necessary if handled well.

Finally it doesn’t prohibit growth within the horde either in fact this directive could strengthen their position and leadership example in the horde.

It doesn’t close doors for blood elf interactions and collaboration but provides extra incentives that go beyond “we just like each other “ which while nice isn’t enough, at least not for me. Whiles providing sources of contention and tension too.

I just think it creates an exciting position and possibility that provides solutions that can solve some major issues for fans , in particular hunger for more Nightborne lore and also the feeling of betrayal and robbing alliance fans seem to feel over the Nightborne going horde.

I also feel it will kill notions like taking Suramar over to the alliance or making the Nightborne neutral and top alliance based.

the Nightborne should explore the Kaldorei civilization and arcane aspect being the race that represents it, it’s better for the Highborne to be in tow with them than driving that narrative. The Nightborne are the race designed for this - it helps make use of it in an interesting way that both horde and alliance fans can be on board and have a stake in.

That’s my motivation.
    Last edited by Beloren; 2020-09-07 at 06:43 PM.

I’m not trying to stop you from wanting anything, But are you sure you’re not letting partisan anger blind you from seeing this is a better way that works well for you? Think about it, there is nothing wrong with having the Highborne play pivotal roles with the Nightborne to establish something different from what the Darnassians or Illidari are about – something kaldorei civilisation and restoration orientated, you know the pre-sundering stuff that they and the Nightborne share – you use to support the idea of the two night elven groups working together, except in your version you wanted the Darnassians involved and either sharing Suramar or taking it over. Which is just not feasible.

It’s much more reasonable and makes for better story telling that the arcane night elf faction is the one works with the Nightborne for a neutral non-faction related goal.. rather than all the Darnassians who even after Legion, are still years away from overcoming all their prejudices against the Highborne caste and night elven arcane users.. which is why we still see some cases of Highborne prejudice and phobia by night elves (most recently Shandris).

So it makes sense to show off the night elf arcane group well in this new venture with the Highborne , and their hopes of bringing the Darnassians round and eventually uniting their fractured peoples and fully restoring their civilisation - a goal they can be a about for the rest of wow’s life time, because they’d take a while to achieve that one – but their story and objective can be about that.
    Do what you want, I’m not playing this game any longer, disappointing waste of time, the way they just hacked at the night elves – in the story etc, and now not even taking the time to give them proper Highborne customisation, the kick in the teeth of giving the kaldorei civilization to the horde and expecting our fans to reroll to get it.. whatever, I’m done, so enjoy your dreams and plans for it.

If you remember, earlier, I said your plan wasn’t a bad idea, just not my first choice, and I still stand by that, and defend that. I never said your idea was bad, I actually said it could work – I’m not even disagreeing with you, just defending my right to prefer my options and desires ahead of yours.

The way they handled the whole thing for a night elf fan that likes the night elf arcane group too? Sucks. And I’m tired of moaning about it.

- - - Updated - - -

@Enigmaaddict

I also want him to stop trying to convince me. That's my motivation, and I cba for essays too on this trash of a lore project.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post

I said arcane wielding night elves, and that is the first description of night elves in the WC3 manual - and that was what I was referring too. The details on how the night elves original civilization was structured and split up came later

When Night elves were introduced in wow, the backstory of their intro entry in the manual was followed by a trilogy released over the period of classic, and coincided with Dire Maul too.

The concept was already fleshed out if not totally unveiled from when WC3 was planned, as it had to reveal how the high elves connected to the night elves, which doesn't happen

- - - Updated - - -

I don't need to write essays to clarify her query.

Do what you want, I’m not playing this game any longer, disappointing waste of time, the way they just hacked at the night elves – in the story etc, and now not even taking the time to give them proper Highborne customisation, the kick in the teeth of giving the kaldorei civilization to the horde and expecting our fans to reroll to get it.. whatever, I’m done, so enjoy your dreams and plans for it.

If you remember, earlier, I said your plan wasn’t a bad idea, just not my first choice, and I still stand by that, and defend that. I never said your idea was bad, I actually said it could work – I’m not even disagreeing with you, just defending my right to prefer my options and desires ahead of yours.

The way they handled the whole thing for a night elf fan that likes the night elf arcane group too? Sucks. And I’m tired of moaning about it.
    You said "I say no" at the end of reply #83: To quote:

Right there. That certainly doesn’t sound like agreeing with what I wrote.

You said "I say no" at the end of reply #83: To quote:

Right there. That certainly doesn’t sound like agreeing with what I wrote.
    Can you not understand that, it’s okay to prefer something different to what another person wants, no matter how good or better they think it is? Or how logical it seems? I’ll still prefer such matters to be Darnassian driven. It doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like if what you are talking about is done, I may come to like it very much, but I’d prefer the main night elf faction to be the driving force, not the sub-race.

Can you not understand that, it’s okay to prefer something different to what another person wants, no matter how good or better they think it is? Or how logical it seems? I’ll still prefer such matters to be Darnassian driven. It doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like if what you are talking about is done, I may come to like it very much, but I’d prefer the main night elf faction to be the driving force, not the sub-race.
    But why? That's so irrelevant here, what do you want to achieve by that? why must it be that way?

The night elves are in sort of two major groups. The Nightborne/Highborne minded group and the Forest/Long vigil minded group – these are their two major distinctions, it makes sense to develop two strands along those two lines, one is spear headed by the ngihtborne who are the race centred around the civilization/arcane magic and night elves of that ilk like the Moonguard, the Highborne, Valewalkers and the balance druid wing of the druids, Moon Priestess wing of the Order of Elune etc should be involved with them.

Meanwhile the other group: is far more Hyjal, forest centred, the Druids, the Sentinels, the Wardens, Huntresses, - that group fit their well. They have a lot of politics and issues regarding Kalimdor, Hyjal etc etc. The two groups can connect via the Val’sharah druids and priests and it’s not two totally isolated entities, but it’s two distinguishable groups for the night elves and they should develop those organically since they’ve set them up that way.
    Stop seeing them as a greater and lesser, but rather two different skins of the same people, but one is ina better position to drive one of the streams while the other is to drive the other. The Daranssians have far more going to drive the druidic forest side than the val’sharah group or Nightborne Valewalker druids do. Just like Nightborne have a lot more going to drive the civilization /arcane aspect than the shen’dralar’s Highborne group do or new night elf mages. It’s how it is now.

3+ Year Old Account
    to be fair those elves in the WC3 Rexxar Campaign seems to be canonically Shen'dralar, and that's it
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

I personally would rather the highbornes development of humbility, self reflection and loss to make them shed some elements of the past that have brought them and everyone else just a lot of suffering, a title that only served to create a chasm betwen the two types of kaldorei.

But now they have been humbled, expelled from their homes by the horde, struggled with their imolthar based arcane addiction, fought with the alliance in many wars and recently played a key role in both the war of thorns and battle for darkshore, one that showed a sort of strengthen bond.

For me this path doesnt scream "get buddy buddy with horde elves that are living in a way your community has suffered heavly from", for me it be much more compelling for the shendralar to embrace the arcane as a way to conect with the main points of darnassian culture, their knowledge and talents brough up not as something that puts them in a position of superiority over "lowborn" but as another piece of their people's ecossytem, in balance, conected and inspired by druids, sentinels, priestess and wardens, not above or seperated.

Especially since the night elves they have been training since cataclysm, werent raised in a silver spoon environment and ideals of aristrocratic superiority, privilege and entitlement to power the highborne are known for.
    They are night elves, born and raised in a culture that is faithfull to elune, aware and respectfull of balance, posses a reverence to the wilds and its inhabitants, they will have a completly difrent prespective and take to the arcane, their upbringing will show itself in their choice of magic.

Like, for example, that priestess turned mage in estulan's tower, I wonder what magic she will wield. Maybe she will find a middleground betwen her faith and the arcane? Also we know many of the first druids were moonguard members, what sort of ideas could they create when reconecting with the current moonguard? Would their sorcery become something wild yet magical like the night fae and their deadly tricks and illusions?

All these questions interest me far more than just zinashari/suramar/silvermoon/dire maul 10.9 "Game of Elftrones", so I personally would rather see an evolution of the shendralari and highborne ideals when they are finally completly embracing darnassian culture and being embraced back, moving more towards its future instead of trying to recapture some past glory.
    Last edited by yana; 2020-09-08 at 04:18 AM.

But why? That's so irrelevant here, what do you want to achieve by that? why must it be that way?

The night elves are in sort of two major groups. The Nightborne/Highborne minded group and the Forest/Long vigil minded group – these are their two major distinctions, it makes sense to develop two strands along those two lines, one is spear headed by the ngihtborne who are the race centred around the civilization/arcane magic and night elves of that ilk like the Moonguard, the Highborne, Valewalkers and the balance druid wing of the druids, Moon Priestess wing of the Order of Elune etc should be involved with them.

Meanwhile the other group: is far more Hyjal, forest centred, the Druids, the Sentinels, the Wardens, Huntresses, - that group fit their well. They have a lot of politics and issues regarding Kalimdor, Hyjal etc etc. The two groups can connect via the Val’sharah druids and priests and it’s not two totally isolated entities, but it’s two distinguishable groups for the night elves and they should develop those organically since they’ve set them up that way.
    Stop seeing them as a greater and lesser, but rather two different skins of the same people, but one is ina better position to drive one of the streams while the other is to drive the other. The Daranssians have far more going to drive the druidic forest side than the val’sharah group or Nightborne Valewalker druids do. Just like Nightborne have a lot more going to drive the civilization /arcane aspect than the shen’dralar’s Highborne group do or new night elf mages. It’s how it is now.
    Anything can happen, blizzard only needs write more powerful roles for the Highborne group and they won’t seem so small. They don’t need the Nightborne to have that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    to be fair those elves in the WC3 Rexxar Campaign seems to be canonically Shen'dralar, and that's it
    What basis do you have for saying that? I don't believe they specified, and Highborne elves aren't the only arcane capable night elves, nor are Shen'dralar Highborne the only remaining Highborne night elves - they are the only remaining LARGE Highborne elf community, being based in a city that we know of, the lore has suggested there were others who successfully endured the long millennia after the sundering and out of the reach or detection of the Darnassian's long vigil community.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yana View Post
    I personally would rather the highbornes development of humbility, self reflection and loss to make them shed some elements of the past that have brought them and everyone else just a lot of suffering, a title that only served to create a chasm betwen the two types of kaldorei.

But now they have been humbled, expelled from their homes by the horde, struggled with their imolthar based arcane addiction, fought with the alliance in many wars and recently played a key role in both the war of thorns and battle for darkshore, one that showed a sort of strengthen bond.

For me this path doesnt scream "get buddy buddy with horde elves that are living in a way your community has suffered heavly from", for me it be much more compelling for the shendralar to embrace the arcane as a way to conect with the main points of darnassian culture, their knowledge and talents brough up not as something that puts them in a position of superiority over "lowborn" but as another piece of their people's ecossytem, in balance, conected and inspired by druids, sentinels, priestess and wardens, not above or seperated.

Especially since the night elves they have been training since cataclysm, werent raised in a silver spoon environment and ideals of aristrocratic superiority, privilege and entitlement to power the highborne are known for.
    They are night elves, born and raised in a culture that is faithfull to elune, aware and respectfull of balance, posses a reverence to the wilds and its inhabitants, they will have a completly difrent prespective and take to the arcane, their upbringing will show itself in their choice of magic.

Like, for example, that priestess turned mage in estulan's tower, I wonder what magic she will wield. Maybe she will find a middleground betwen her faith and the arcane? Also we know many of the first druids were moonguard members, what sort of ideas could they create when reconecting with the current moonguard? Would their sorcery become something wild yet magical like the night fae and their deadly tricks and illusions?

All these questions interest me far more than just zinashari/suramar/silvermoon/dire maul 10.9 "Game of Elftrones", so I personally would rather see an evolution of the shendralari and highborne ideals when they are finally completly embracing darnassian culture and being embraced back, moving more towards its future instead of trying to recapture some past glory.
    Yes, this exactly, The Farondis Highborne capture themore balance sensitive, responsible wielding heart of the Hgihborne, they are a reflection of whatHighbonre who werne't swayed by Azshara's obsession were like, what the caste must have been like before they got addicted, and this is how I expect a humbled night elf, even a high noble like the Highborne would bel ike.

they'd remember the original nobility, without diminsihing thier arcnae love, but itwould be tempered with balance.

And everyone forgets the new Darnassian Highborne, and the Moonguard druids, even those that return tot eh arcane, would not be the same arrgoant lot after 10k years of nature and balance.

People don't even consider that this lot actually schose to stay behind and honour the ban becuase their desire tot protect he world outweighed theislefish need to continue their arcane studies, it would have been tough for them, but they endured it, some perhaps viewed it as punishment or penance, others as duty, or what was the right and noble thing to do, in a world without the arcnae, the need for thier old society structures was un-necessary, no one complaiend when Tyrande disbanded the moonguard and the relevance for the honorific of Highborne faded in a society that had no civilziaiton.

All this changes when they come out of isoaltion and the long vigil and enter the world again, however, the type of Highbornethey'd become would not be the same as the arrogant fools , full of hubris that typified the caste at the end of Azshara's reign. But most people who were aware of this don't think to this level of depth about what the implications of the evnts that have unfolded would mean.

I find it rare to find people who actually factor in what the Lon vgil would have done or affected those who return to being highbonre and new Darnassians who join the shen'drlaar, and find it hard to think that they wouldn't influence thier more arrogant teachers, who inturn would have been affected substantially by their recovery from addiction and seeing the level of wisdom andn obility in the more simple living Darnassians, especially the druids.

The druids may seem primitve to manybecause of how they look, dress and live, but they are anything but tothose who know them, they are full of wisdom and humility, and are fully aware of the high flying lifestyle they were once a part of and woudl have contributed to as, but adopted a new lifestyle and seen its value. While some may return to the arcane, they'd have a profound sense of realism and balance, that would exceed intellect alone. To be honest, they would be the true leaders and visionaries a step above the old intellectual arrogance.

As such the Darnasisans would possess a wisdom and enlightenment htat superseded their former pre-sundering selves, Iw ould say a level to which the Nightborne only just come out of hte old system would not have yet. ANd indeed, despite all their advanced magic and capability to do civilziation well, the Shen'dralar Highborne would not have reached that level of presience.

It offers an exciting future for the night elvs and one that is a bit turned over on its head, like most night elf stuff is. I can foresee the highborne bringing back a magical advanced kaldorei civilziation bakc, with cities etc, but actually the true leaders and most revered of their society won't e the high fliers in their cities the world esteems, but the humble wise men druids in the secluded forests everyone else think are simpletons and primitives by the way they dress and the caves they live in, but are shocked when they realise their high and mighty Highborne scholars and magicians, world renowened and revered actually defer to these "simpletons" that the world's elites in other races like humans and Thalassians don't regard as anything special because they're dressed simply and live humbly.

And this vision doesn't entail kaldorei society becoming a fully arcane society, but it acknowledges that they would have advanced magical cities alongside vast forest communities, because the highborne would develop cities and largely stay there, and night elves who deal with foreigners and other races would stay int hose places, but the resto f hte kaldorei who continue their duties to nature or ELune would be in more isoalted regions of forests living hte type of life they're use to. THese would be the larger populace, hidden mostly from the world.

When the world sees the kaldorei they'd only recognise them fromtheir city and typically not pay much to their forest life, not realising actually the heart of this kaldorei nation is actually in the forest, not hte fancy city - it's an upside down thing - and it's what makes the ngiht elves intriguing.

If you split the Highborne away entirely to be only invovled with the nightborne, you lose this.

Anything can happen, blizzard only needs write more powerful roles for the Highborne group and they won’t seem so small. They don’t need the Nightborne to have that.
    Aanything can, but something did happen, the Nightborne, they already did and it’s easy for the Highborne to have powerful roles and be seen as a powerful group when working alongside the Nightborne, their chances are better too, because it’s the Nightborne that do such thigns, meanwhile with the Darnassians, it’s constantly about protecting the forest, nature or what Elune wants, not about arcane magic or civilization.
    And while they don’t need the Nightborne true, it’d work well with them. Face it, blizz isn’t going to do the big expansive Highborne angle you want, you’ll get much more exposure if the Highborne were tied into the Nightborne story and it was the two of them together, one alliance half and one horde half.

I’m not suggesting the Highborne join the horde, just that they are working with the Nightborne towards the goals of elven unity and restoring their civilisation

Quote Originally Posted by yana View Post

You can still have all that, and the Highborne working with the Nightborne too, and having htis goal. They are seeking to unify the elves and restore their civilisation, not their addiction addled former ways - or did you forget the Nightborne have also been cure of addiction by night elves if i may add and based entirely on the principle of balance.

One could even add that the Highborne help them better balance their lives having lived this way a bit longer and seen its value.

Yes, this exactly, The Farondis Highborne capture themore balance sensitive, responsible wielding heart of the Hgihborne, they are a reflection of whatHighbonre who werne't swayed by Azshara's obsession were like, what the caste must have been like before they got addicted, and this is how I expect a humbled night elf, even a high noble like the Highborne would bel ike.

they'd remember the original nobility, without diminsihing thier arcnae love, but itwould be tempered with balance.

And everyone forgets the new Darnassian Highborne, and the Moonguard druids, even those that return tot eh arcane, would not be the same arrgoant lot after 10k years of nature and balance.

People don't even consider that this lot actually schose to stay behind and honour the ban becuase their desire tot protect he world outweighed theislefish need to continue their arcane studies, it would have been tough for them, but they endured it, some perhaps viewed it as punishment or penance, others as duty, or what was the right and noble thing to do, in a world without the arcnae, the need for thier old society structures was un-necessary, no one complaiend when Tyrande disbanded the moonguard and the relevance for the honorific of Highborne faded in a society that had no civilziaiton.

All this changes when they come out of isoaltion and the long vigil and enter the world again, however, the type of Highbornethey'd become would not be the same as the arrogant fools , full of hubris that typified the caste at the end of Azshara's reign. But most people who were aware of this don't think to this level of depth about what the implications of the evnts that have unfolded would mean.

I find it rare to find people who actually factor in what the Lon vgil would have done or affected those who return to being highbonre and new Darnassians who join the shen'drlaar, and find it hard to think that they wouldn't influence thier more arrogant teachers, who inturn would have been affected substantially by their recovery from addiction and seeing the level of wisdom andn obility in the more simple living Darnassians, especially the druids.

The druids may seem primitve to manybecause of how they look, dress and live, but they are anything but tothose who know them, they are full of wisdom and humility, and are fully aware of the high flying lifestyle they were once a part of and woudl have contributed to as, but adopted a new lifestyle and seen its value. While some may return to the arcane, they'd have a profound sense of realism and balance, that would exceed intellect alone. To be honest, they would be the true leaders and visionaries a step above the old intellectual arrogance.

As such the Darnasisans would possess a wisdom and enlightenment htat superseded their former pre-sundering selves, Iw ould say a level to which the Nightborne only just come out of hte old system would not have yet. ANd indeed, despite all their advanced magic and capability to do civilziation well, the Shen'dralar Highborne would not have reached that level of presience.

It offers an exciting future for the night elvs and one that is a bit turned over on its head, like most night elf stuff is. I can foresee the highborne bringing back a magical advanced kaldorei civilziation bakc, with cities etc, but actually the true leaders and most revered of their society won't e the high fliers in their cities the world esteems, but the humble wise men druids in the secluded forests everyone else think are simpletons and primitives by the way they dress and the caves they live in, but are shocked when they realise their high and mighty Highborne scholars and magicians, world renowened and revered actually defer to these "simpletons" that the world's elites in other races like humans and Thalassians don't regard as anything special because they're dressed simply and live humbly.

And this vision doesn't entail kaldorei society becoming a fully arcane society, but it acknowledges that they would have advanced magical cities alongside vast forest communities, because the highborne would develop cities and largely stay there, and night elves who deal with foreigners and other races would stay int hose places, but the resto f hte kaldorei who continue their duties to nature or ELune would be in more isoalted regions of forests living hte type of life they're use to. THese would be the larger populace, hidden mostly from the world.

When the world sees the kaldorei they'd only recognise them fromtheir city and typically not pay much to their forest life, not realising actually the heart of this kaldorei nation is actually in the forest, not hte fancy city - it's an upside down thing - and it's what makes the ngiht elves intriguing.

If you split the Highborne away entirely to be only invovled with the nightborne, you lose this.
    As I said to yana above, it doesn't have to change anything, be realistic, blizzard can barely do the races they have, are you sure they're going to take the time to build the night elves more fully or they just going to focus on the "core" of the Darnassians which is the forest theme and not bother to show the Highborne in this way?

It's not bad what you say it's good, very good actually, and would be great to show for nuance, if you had time, furthermore i think you can show this aspect or growth tot he Highborne with them working with the Nightborne, they could bring these values over. The Farondis are on the broken isle and we could see at least some difference between Highborne night elves and nightborne, as one group influences the other in that direction, while the Nigthborne bring a more progress and arcane mindset, and they reach balance. While similar they are not the same.

I really don't see how this has to negate Highborne working with Nightborne, because unifying the Elves is something Highborne would want, and some Darnassians too, Malfurion wanted his people together, i might be a different ball game to consider the Nightborne in that light, but they do have the connection of all being from Suramar as you use to point out, so they'd be open, it would be harder to get them to see the blood elves in that light, but that is a goal this new collaboration would work towards over time.

Also building up their civilisation is a mindset that is definitely high up and still prevalent in the Shen'dralar, you can appreciate and value balance and harmony, and the forest life while still desiring civilisation and building a great magical one. Especially doing so having learnt from the mistakes of the past and valuing harmony balance and remembering now your true noble character.

You would also have the foresight to see beyond just one way of living, valuing the forest life greatly but recognising what works best for you and what is you, knowing they can be different and a place for each, and ensuring your civilisation understands that and can live in harmony both with those who prefer a more forest or rural (as you like to put it) setting and those who prefer an advanced city.

There is plenty of room for both, you can focus on a civilisation and city while they on restoring forest. you're not a druid after all, I see no reason why any of this needs to be in the way of what I propose, in fact I see that it enhances it.

yeah i know you prefer to ignore factions, but in my opinion ignoring lingering hostility for some elven empire ressurgence is a plot line for a dungeon, not racial development.

The truth is the highborne were expelled from their homes by the horde, they lost a handfull of their members in the war of thorns and the burning, the night elves as a whole have no reason to reach out ot horde elves that supported both campaigns.
    and after what the nightborne did to the moonguard and what the horde did to teldrassil, im not so sure the broken isles kaldorei will be happy with their mana addicted cousins.

Im not ravenmoon, I dont want kaldorei empire 2.0, i dont want the highborne to go back to semi-rococo sinfull and opressive aristrocracy, where everyday is a lavish, extravagant and avaracious experience where I can project myself in that fantasy of patrician power and dominance, in faux Roman cities of boring stone.
    If I want that, I will play the nightborne and be satisfied.

Its more likely the night elves will rebuilt in an agressivly defensive fashion, focused on self preservation in their lands, whatever development will be internal, not in some weird reunification process that normally ends in a raid (look at the trolls), especially after a terrible genocide at the hands of the horde.
    I want to see how each group adapts and comes together to face the future as a race, not some elven kumbaya when half of said elves are complicit in the burning of teldrassil.
    Last edited by yana; 2020-09-08 at 03:54 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    What basis do you have for saying that? I don't believe they specified, and Highborne elves aren't the only arcane capable night elves, nor are Shen'dralar Highborne the only remaining Highborne night elves - they are the only remaining LARGE Highborne elf community, being based in a city that we know of, the lore has suggested there were others who successfully endured the long millennia after the sundering and out of the reach or detection of the Darnassian's long vigil community.
    their name literally means hiding and they seem to thrive in some tomb near Theramore (Then'Ralore?) while hiding

- - - Updated - - -

I’m not suggesting the Highborne join the horde, just that they are working with the Nightborne towards the goals of elven unity and restoring their civilisation
    the Moonguard becoming neutral and acting as a bridge for the Highborne and Nightborne doesn't seem like a bad idea; it would be the Argent Crusade of the Night Elves (though I actually hope Maxwell does it and says "oh fuck it, the Regency of Lordaeron aligns with the Horde")
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Gotcha. I won’t try to convince you. Just maybe explain my motivation if you’d permit one final essay from me
    Yes, you may.

I want them to have a story with a powerful and meaningful purpose and I want it to involve the Highborne too in a good way to create a solution for this side of the night elves that the Nightborne represent and much argument exists over.
    I agree that the night elves deserve some more back story in game and this would be a good thing to explore some old magics and have the highborne evolved sure. Like I said I wouldnt find it a bad idea to have some district for example dedicated to them in a future city. How well they are accepted and how much political power they would have is a question we cant awnser.

I also thought a horde race trying to find peaceful and working solutions for collaboration would be very good and paint the horde in a good light. They are excellent candidates for this because their story has this strong connection to the night elves and we see friendly interactions between them and the local night elves and also have very strong basis to get on well with the Highborne. It’s also their noble character
    So which horde races are you talking about? It doesnt count if the world is breaking and we are forced into a alliance( Azshara,nzoth etc) I am not a fan of horde and alliance working together and growing friendships. For me that is a direction I dont wan t to see to much focus on tbh. What are you getting out of those relationships? What is the goal realy? it always ends with a crossroad that's wow (I stole that line from thrall I know, but it works!)

It also solves the problem of alliance fans crying for Nightborne and for Suramar and secures both for the horde. No high elf repeat. Not necessary if handled well.
    This was never a big issue, realy.. most people just accepted that and only a handfull remained on that quest. The moment I got a essay in my mailbox I knew and wrote back that this is high elf problem 2.0. The problem I have with this, is that people dont seem to follow the current lore and grab back on very old lore where we all see some signature of 2004 written in the corner. The highborne also moved on and the ones that remained in suramar for that matter changed.

Nightborne are their own race now and the story moved on and found their allies on the horde. Its just salt and I honestly refuse to go much deeper into that because thats the story and you should accept it and move on. The closest we are able to get as a highborne are the nightborne, its a wonder they were able to make them differnt enough in the first place. Because news flash.. there is no highborne customization.. they were just a political group but still night elves. No difference.. just self.insert elitist group honestly.

It doesn’t close doors for blood elf interactions and collaboration but provides extra incentives that go beyond “we just like each other “ which while nice isn’t enough, at least not for me. Whiles providing sources of contention and tension too.
    I just think it creates an exciting position and possibility that provides solutions that can solve some major issues for fans , in particular hunger for more Nightborne lore and also the feeling of betrayal and robbing alliance fans seem to feel over the Nightborne going horde.
    I just feel you are making this a bigger problem than it is in reality. The Nightborne deserve more and night elves deserve more, but they both are facing some idenity crisis. The night elves more then nightborne, but there is no such thing as betrayal they were never part of the alliance... and the only ties they have realy is a salty era where most people lost their homes, family and friends because of their queen. They are in no.position to call the nighborne, friends or old allies etc. More like It feels some people seem to.miss that and think it was a obvious choice to go to the alliance, but in reality it wasn't the case. . The highborne who ventured away and became high elf also left the night elves back then, that group of high elves continued their practise in arcane magic same as the Highborne did within that bubble, even if they were allies of Tyrande and her group, they would still be breaking her rule over not using any magics anymore. I understand why they match better with now called blood elves and nightborne, hell it makes 10 times more sense then the night elves being in the alliance in the first place..

Erm..there are maybe 2 threads and one is kinda deserted.. and checked wow us/eu forums but the request you are suggesting is just something of this thread it seems.. idk how big of a issue this is. No one wants a high elf 2.0 discussion from here on. You can roll a nighborne and play one. I dont see a reason besides some opinions why we need to share the nighborne.. aand we are back to this. Sorry enigma I like your political approach, but you can't please everyone and I dissagree on sharing an already pretty plain and new race with the opposite faction. They need their own story first and thats with the horde and not the alliance.

I also feel it will kill notions like taking Suramar over to the alliance or making the Nightborne neutral and top alliance based.

the Nightborne should explore the Kaldorei civilization and arcane aspect being the race that represents it, it’s better for the Highborne to be in tow with them than driving that narrative. The Nightborne are the race designed for this - it helps make use of it in an interesting way that both horde and alliance fans can be on board and have a stake in.

That’s my motivation.
    I want to sgree with you, since you seem like a nice guy, but honestly.. the nighborne realy dont.care about the night elves. You know how it ended with tyrande and there are no reasons or hooks to explore more there atm. The only thing that is happening here is that the alliance would love to explore THEM and that because they posses old knowledge and more, but they are a living race(who altered) with their own motivations and and the night elves can shout what ever they want, but they are just not part of that.

Might not be popular to few people here, but this is 100% canon and the story will follow that direction going forward.

No hard feelings tho.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2020-09-08 at 07:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also got an essay through email and had to comment; this made me laugh when I read that you got one (or more?), too. I agree with much of what you've said here, even though I'm a Night Elf fan and would appreciate some more story on all aspects within NE society. I think we've gotten quite a bit with the Shen'dralar coming back, the Queen, N'Zoth, and the Nightborne, so I think that Blizzard has already taken the NE culture where they wanted to. NEs might get something else in the future, but it will most likely reflect *their* vision and not necessarily that of the players. It is their game, after all.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isilrien View Post
    I also got an essay through email and had to comment; this made me laugh when I read that you got one (or more?), too. I agree with much of what you've said here, even though I'm a Night Elf fan and would appreciate some more story on all aspects within NE society. I think we've gotten quite a bit with the Shen'dralar coming back, the Queen, N'Zoth, and the Nightborne, so I think that Blizzard has already taken the NE culture where they wanted to. NEs might get something else in the future, but it will most likely reflect *their* vision and not necessarily that of the players. It is their game, after all.
    Night elves deserve more I fully agree and I am curious to see what their next step is for them tbh. The shen'delar are an interesting group if fleshed out could be interesting, but I am questioning what political power they would have and what of their numbers? could they even fill a district? idk some uprising from within now that tyrande is gone could be that highborne stor people look for, but meh idk some radom though.

Yea I think alot of people who were in that forum received some personal messages, made me laugh you had one as well;p

Edit: With that though of an idea I want to say that wouldn't involve Nightborne model in any way, if should follow the lore for that matter and show us how the highborne realy were(take of the mask) and show their bad clothing taste and false projections of themselves. They thought better of themselves with fancy clothes alstho they were just Night elves like the rest. That would be interesting in my opinion. Again probably not a popular view here, but I don't care
    Last edited by Alanar; 2020-09-08 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    their name literally means hiding and they seem to thrive in some tomb near Theramore (Then'Ralore?) while hiding

- - - Updated - - -

the Moonguard becoming neutral and acting as a bridge for the Highborne and Nightborne doesn't seem like a bad idea; it would be the Argent Crusade of the Night Elves (though I actually hope Maxwell does it and says "oh fuck it, the Regency of Lordaeron aligns with the Horde")
    Well I’m thinking the Moonguard and local night elves should be friendly with the Nightborne and work with them even though their organisations are all neutral, however some integrate with Nightborne society and are horde friendly. Whether we get to play using their models like the alliance got high elves would depend.

But the important cross is when the Highborne from Kalimdor share the vision and concentrate the bulk of their efforts to this.

It doesn’t mean they are all in the broken isles, to succeed they need to continue ie to be with Darnassians as well as working a lot on the broken isles, so ya a and Ravenmoon would get some measure of the things they are wanting if blizz delves deeper into elves. .

I just think they have a higher chance of getting the Highborne lore and development they want if the Nightborne are part of the story and it’s a big story that can form the bedrock oF a race’s main purpose, which will also give a lot of spotlight to the Highborne they want and allow them to be shown off in addition to flanking the Nightborne a good worthy race that’s around for more than just making portals for the horde.

Every elf group has some major focus. But what we are not seeing is much Highborne stuff and what the Nightborne should now be doing. Void elves, Night elven Darnassians and Blood elves all have some major threads and racial objectives - Nightborne are in limbo weak, giving them something that ties them to mute heart of the elven people like unification ensures their relevance and as the group that continues the heart of the original elven civilisation. The pre-sundering night elf lot, they are the prime candidates.

It allowed the Highborne faction to feel distinctly its own in its identity even with its ties to Darnassians society and any influencing that has had on it which would continue in the line ya a and Ravenmoon suggest. Afterall the broken isles does have druids and priestesses too and those Highborne can be a bridge between the two as they focus on saving elven kind, even from itself.

I’m sure they would have some powerful supporters amongst the Darnassians and Sin’dorei for their cause as well as hateful detractors bent on frustrating that ideal, but how it develops with its successes and failures and it’s dream of recreating elven paradise is the heir story.

The hates and prejudices, the losses, reconciling past with present, phobias and misconceptions and bringing a dream for the future.

And how nice it is that an entire horde race is at the heart of this, even if it’s an allied race, with the alliance Highborne playing an equal role elevates them because they are a small faction that has been mostly neglected and often given the token role when they could be so much more.

As a small group I don’t think the devs would realistically even consider using them to adopt this role, but the Nightborne, that makes sense and once you think Nightborne it’s easy to see the alliance Highborne shen’dralar les group also getting involved. Even if they mainly focus on that while the Darnassians ones they trained manage Highborne matter in Darnassians society mostly.

Either way, it works great for them