Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I want murloc for new race!!!!

Keep the factions but make it so any race can choose either faction. It seems very weird to say that a whole race would just move in lockstep like a hive mind, especially when we see so many examples to the contrary (Pandaren, High/Blood Elves, Alteraci, etc.).

People trying to debate the lore arguments are missing the point. Lore doesn't matter. It's a design decision and imo a good one at that. The 2 factions have always been at the core of WoW and it should remain so. If you want to play with anyone maybe try Call of Duty or something, though even there you probably can't play with your ally friends as a nazi, so that might not work out.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

That core was maybe cool 10 years ago, now it's artificially dividing playerbase so if your friends invites you to WoW you basically have no choice but go wherever they are.

And it's actually the other way around. It matters from lore point, but doesn't matter (and doesn't make sense) from gameplay point of view.
    Especially not when you can play in BGs as opposing faction.

Why the hell players have to be bound by factions lol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya at this stage in the game I'm way past the faction divide. have a good split of friends who play on one side or the other, all of them are nice people, and it would be really cool to join the sets up for group content. We can still have our pvp, be it small scale skirmishes between differing interest groups, or maybe really go above and beyond and make it FFA (bye bye faction imbalance, now it's true PvP).

As for PvE imagine how much more story content single side players will get when they don't have to make 2 sets of stories that people will only see half of... end up on the poorer side of a super lopsided server? don't matter now you got both sides. Really want to play that fem troll but your husband plays a dwarf hunter? no problem go have fun! And most of all we don't have to worry as much about player decay because we just doubled your available player roster.

Yes yes we will get the "But ma WARcraft!", but we have had nothing but war in about every expansion so far, we don't have to be at war with each other (Even with this we can have small scale fighting between AvH or even other groups like Nightelf+Tauren VS Goblins+Gnomes). Also of note the game really hasn't been built around AvH (Sans BfA but look how popular that story was, and Cata+MoP where the moral of the story was fighting together is better...) since warcraft 2 and even then they started experimenting with the idea of having Alliances form cross faction.

If nothing else let cross partying happen in the open world so I can save that Orc warlock with a lay on hands when he/she pulls a little to much....
    Last edited by Whitedragon; 2020-06-21 at 04:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    People trying to debate the lore arguments are missing the point. Lore doesn't matter. It's a design decision and imo a good one at that. The 2 factions have always been at the core of WoW and it should remain so. If you want to play with anyone maybe try Call of Duty or something, though even there you probably can't play with your ally friends as a nazi, so that might not work out.
    It's a pretty crappy design decision, honestly, especially this far into the game's life cycle. Strictly from a design standpoint, removing the faction barrier in PvE would solve the oft-mentioned problem with the rapid decline of raiding on the Alliance and do so pretty much overnight, as Alliance guilds wouldn't feel pressured to transfer to the Horde where the increasing majority of endgame raiders have been consolidating over the last few expansions. It would also reduce queues all around as you bring in more tanks and healers available to every dungeon group. It would also open up new metas for Mythic raiding and Mythic+ dungeons.

Even if you want to discount lore (and the lore's there for it, unless you just absolutely refuse to see the forest for the trees with the last two patches of BFA), there is effectively no solid design argument except Blizzard's own misguided stubbornness.

Nobody is saying 'get rid of the factions.' What we're asking for is for a subplot that has gone precisely nowhere in 15 years, and will continue to go nowhere for the next 15, to stop hamstringing PvE gameplay and roleplaying freedom. Especially if they're going to keep writing the faction war to be as retarded as humanly possible every time it heats up and takes focus away from the metaplot they've spent 15 years building up and progressing.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I don't really know why they are still supporting this horde vs alliance.
    Alliance raiding is a meme at this point
    c

It will happen, but not in the way you think. I think it's going to be similar to BoD, where you temporarily switch to whichever faction you partied with.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    It will happen, but not in the way you think. I think it's going to be similar to BoD, where you temporarily switch to whichever faction you partied with.
    I doubt anyone thought it would be any different. Since you know, this worked exactly the same as mercenary mode:
    https://www.wowhead.com/guides/pvp/mercenary-mode

Players will automatically have their race changed into one appropriate for the opposite faction which means their model, including tooltips, will be completely changed and unrecognizable as being "disguised".

I have said since cata-ish that i think that the factions should remain, WPVP should remain, and BGS should remain, but there is no logical reason at all to stop people from each faction grouping up and playing together. I honestly believe it is one of the main factors holding wow back - its an archaic and outdated idea that adds absolutely nothing to the game, but certainly removes countless possibilities.

Absolutely nothing needs to change from a PvP standpoint, the faction leaders, the stories, nothing needs to change. But there is absolutely no reason to restrict people from opposing factions grouping up to fight together against world ending threats.

IMO, its yet another example of Blizzard flat out refusing to adapt and change, and being so stubborn it hurts them, and in turn, the playerbase. Hell, even from a financial standpoint its a VERY clever move - they keep putting barriers up to restrict our play, thinking that it will infact result in INCREASED play. For example, i main alliance atm, and have not unlocked all the allied races for horde. If those races were unlocked, i absolutely 100%, without a doubt would still be actively lvling those classes for the armor sets etc. I also have multiple alliance max level toons for certain classes (2x 120 pally, 4 x 120 warlock etc) and i absolutely would xfer some of those to horde if i new i could still play with friends.

All these restrictions dont encourage playtime, they discourage it, and i hope Acti-Blizz realise that before its too late.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    I doubt anyone thought it would be any different. Since you know, this worked exactly the same as mercenary mode:
    https://www.wowhead.com/guides/pvp/mercenary-mode
    Merc mode is a perfect example of how this absolutely can / does occur in lore. I dont think players need a silly mask or gimmicky race swap mechanic to impliment this though, just literally allow players to group with the other faction for most/all pve content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    They aren't saying "a Horde player should be able to walk into Stormwind without be harassed (or vice versa for Orgrimmar)", they just want to be able to team up with people cross faction for PvE content. Why the hell is that a problem? Also, just because the name is "Warcraft" doesn't mean it has to focus on the Alliance and Horde conflict. Let it die.
    It died a decade ago, and i think MOST people realise that.

After reading all of the replies here, I have some faith restored.

Enjoyment is not considered when weighing in on the hackery of Blizzard's storytelling since 2004 but this...does put a smile on my face.

Yeah, please. Glad at least part of the community is getting the picture, finally. Does it take the unnecessary homogeneity that already exists between the two factions and worsens it? Yeah. Does it undermine a lot of the DNA of prior stories and themes in Warcraft lore? Yup.

And I give zeroooo fuuuuucks. No more arbitrarily split developer efforts. No more one game for the time investment of two. No more completely misleading and inconsistent depiction of events to make your faction look better (lookin' at YOU, ICC Airships and War of Thorns). Just a bunch of people being forced into a writer's room to make interesting internal and interpersonal conflict without the lazy crutch of enforced tribalism to endure the status quo like the absolute shitheap that was BFA. Because if they REALLY cared about factional conflict, they'd have more well defined what the factions meant years ago rather than reducing them to a t-shirt logo with more elves.

But failing that, even non-canon cross-faction play is acceptable.

I should also add, if they reworked the community feature, you could easily have a faction guild, and a cross faction guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    I became torn on this topic. There were days where I would have agreed 100% but now... after bfa.... there were things I liked (as an idea). Like warfronts (yes!) and faction assaults...
    On the other side legion worked wonderful without this. I am not sure. I just don't like horde aestetics, races and lore at all, so I hated WoD. Also I am not sure if I would welcome forsaken in alliance cities, and stinky orcs =)
    If they would implement the cross faction raiding as a system feature, like you can invite people into raids and they get temp. the faction of the raid leader, I think everyone would win. I think we should just keep the cities separated.
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    If they would implement the cross faction raiding as a system feature, like you can invite people into raids and they get temp. the faction of the raid leader, I think everyone would win. I think we should just keep the cities separated.
    That was original community idea, nobody wants to xfaction capical cities. At least not to the extent of having x-faction pve groups for dungs and raids.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree, gief cross faction pve ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    No. Faction war is the core of Warcraft.

Just play alliance if you want to play with your alliance friends.
    sais who?seriously who is forcing them?the faction conflict makes ZERO sense,its worse writing than the last season of game of thrones,they should atleast let characters desert and join the other faction

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    sais who?seriously who is forcing them?the faction conflict makes ZERO sense,its worse writing than the last season of game of thrones,they should atleast let characters desert and join the other faction
    I wouldn't say that it makes zero sense. It's core of Warcraft, who says that? Pretty much everyone who follows WoW Lore with the Blizzard also.

Cross-faction won't be implemented because a few players "want to play with other friends*cry cry*". Just change faction. There's no reason to destroy something that is working fine.
    It's like going to Warriors forum and making threads how Warriors need Ranged spec - they don't. Just because one or a few people wants it it doesn't mean everyone want it. Even though, Blizzard has the last word on that(and I'm glad they do) and they're not stupid enough to do such a thing.

It's more than "omg I want to do random dungeons with friends from other faction! *cry cry*". People are only thinking about themselves, while their crying for cross-faction would have had HEAVY consequences and destroy the balance of the game. PvP, cross faction communication, premades for achievements etc.

I wouldn't say that it makes zero sense. It's core of Warcraft, who says that? Pretty much everyone who follows WoW Lore with the Blizzard also.

Cross-faction won't be implemented because a few players "want to play with other friends*cry cry*". Just change faction. There's no reason to destroy something that is working fine.
    It's like going to Warriors forum and making threads how Warriors need Ranged spec - they don't. Just because one or a few people wants it it doesn't mean everyone want it. Even though, Blizzard has the last word on that(and I'm glad they do) and they're not stupid enough to do such a thing.

It's more than "omg I want to do random dungeons with friends from other faction! *cry cry*". People are only thinking about themselves, while their crying for cross-faction would have had HEAVY consequences and destroy the balance of the game. PvP, cross faction communication, premades for achievements etc.
    What balance?

What exactly about factions is balanced?

There's no reason to destroy something that is working fine.
    Horde racials and blood elves existing would suggest factions are not, in fact working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Horde racials and blood elves existing would suggest factions are not, in fact working fine.
    Maybe, but there are still good players on the Alliance. The racials are minimum thing to be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    What balance?

What exactly about factions is balanced?
    PvP, cross-realm communication, warmode etc. By balance I meant status quo, which shouldn't be distrupted.