Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

How do you justify Shalandis Isle?

Not the act itself but the writing and motivations behind it.

The questline really didn't make sense to me as why the hell would Tyrande send in her Sentinels to raid Quel'thalas when the High Elves helped defend Mount Hyjal, and the Blood Elves helped Maiev and Malfurion to stop Illidan, and then give intel to Malfurion and Illidan to save Tyrande. Tyrande and Malfurion would be very grateful to the Blood Elves and I don't see them having a reason to naenae them.

I can only think of three ways that can justify them:

1. It was a response investigation due to the Blood Elves harassing the Draenei in Azuremyst (but of course they aren't omnipotent)
    2. It was Fandral who sent the Night Elves and they shared his Kaldorei supremacist views
    3. They acted on their own
    4. Probably all of the above

But none of them are canon. The Blood Elves were still willing to work with the Alliance even after Garithos died but this event was the one that blew it all up
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

The same way you justify the Purge Squads in Vol'dun. You don't, because Blizzard didn't care. They just wanted this race to be in the Horde, so they made the Alliance look so vile that it would force this race to join the Horde.

Blizzards God tier writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

I mean was it though? People are always like 'buh Garithos', 'buh the spies'. But Garithos is not (? it's been a while since I did the zones) even mentioned and the spying thing just kinda gets dropped with little fanfare.

The impression I always got was the Belves went with the horde (but at that point, it was more to use the forsaken as a meat shield and get back to Kael in outland) because the forsaken provided tangible help in the ghostlands and because slyvanas was still the hottest shit to them at that point.

God, remember when Belves were supposed to be capricious and self-serving? Not just completely flanderised into perfect high elves with green eyes.

It does not make any sense, and is only there to do a Elf vs. Elf storyline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone I don't like
    Something I perceive as stupid or overly emotional.
    A quote that justifies my ideology, or attributes my opposition's position to ignorance or selfishness. - Some Nobody

I don't think this was ever explained. It would've made sense if the Alliance knew that the blood elves were about to join the Horde, so they sabotage them in the hope that the Scourge or Amani will just finish them off.

Or the Alliance thought that the blood elves of Silvermoon were still with Kael'thas, and with Kael's blood elves being so eager to whipe out their new draenei allies they wanted to retaliate without having to send a full invasion force.
    Last edited by McNeil; 2020-06-21 at 05:04 PM.

Easy, Fandral sent them without anyone else knowing. He also planted lots of trees around all of Azeroth while the rest of the Nightelves weren't so keen on being outside of their territory, so it would not be surprising in the least. Fandral did not only have the support of the a-holes, but as he was an ancient and well known druid, he had a lot of support from all over Nightelven society as long as Malfurion (and maybe Cenarius) wasn't there to oppose him or at least reign him in.
    His real opposition had to be far away from him in Feralas in order to try and find out about his strange practices and using of ressources from the Cenarion Circle. There were lots of priestesses in Silithus with the Cenarion Circle, so he may never have even told Tyrande that he was sending anyone, he just diverted them from Silithus and Moonglade.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Or the Alliance thought that the blood elves of Silvermoon were still with Kael'thas, and with Kael's blood elves being so eager to whipe out their new draenei allies they wanted to retaliate without having so send a full invasion force.
    If the Draenei Isles happened first, then this does give some solid ground to the idea that Silvermoon was in league with Kael'thas and the Legion. Blood Elf Bandit do yell, upon being spotted "For Silvermoon! For Sunstrider!" A possibly hint that these bandits and the Sunhawk Thugs on Bloodmyst Isle are all playing happy family's with Silvermoon and Theron's rule.

Now Silvermoon was "partly" in league with Kael'thas. Not the whole "let's join the BL...", but the "He's found the promised land." Many of the Magisters were just waiting to leave Quel'Thalas and join Kael'thas on Outland and it wasn't until they reached Hellfire and the other zones did they realise that this wasn't the "promised land" they had envisioned.

Who the hell knows at this point. Highly likely that the person who wrote this scenario does not even work at Blizzard anymore, this is, after all, 14 year old lore.
    There really needs to be a person at Blizzard whose job is to ensure that the writing is coherent and makes sense. Rule of cool does not, in fact, always work and having lore characters do stupid things due to some decision being made because *insert reason here*.

Didn't they even forget about in one of the BfA novels?
    I remember something about Malfurion talking to some Blood elf guy, with Mal stating that they never attacked the Blood elves or something...

I think it was just a means to an end to explain ingame why the Blood elves are joining the Horde (=Alliance are assholes), i'm not sure if the blood elves were even considered fullblown members untill after they killed Dar'khan.

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    Easy, Fandral sent them without anyone else knowing.
    Unless you want to portray these as Fandral Loyalists, that would be difficult, as Tyrande was supposed to hold command over the Sentinels, whereas Fandral handled Druid affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Didn't they even forget about in one of the BfA novels?
    I remember something about Malfurion talking to some Blood elf guy, with Mal stating that they never attacked the Blood elves or something...

I think it was just a means to an end to explain ingame why the Blood elves are joining the Horde (=Alliance are assholes), i'm not sure if the blood elves were even considered fullblown members untill after they killed Dar'khan.

Unless you want to portray these as Fandral Loyalists, that would be difficult, as Tyrande was supposed to hold command over the Sentinels, whereas Fandral handled Druid affairs.
    Apart from Silithus, which was Cenarion Circle aligned. Fandral did not have any qualms about using Cenarion Circle ressources for his ends, without anyone but Quintis investigating it or asking questions about it. Silithus was stacked full of druids, priestesses and sentinels that he could have sent without anyone ever sending word about it to Darnassus.

10+ Year Old Account
    In fairness, Fandral overstepping his authority was a major plot point for the night elves at the time. He was engaged in a power struggle with Tyrande and going behind her back to order these spy operations wouldn't be out of character for him.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Apart from Silithus, which was Cenarion Circle aligned. Fandral did not have any qualms about using Cenarion Circle ressources for his ends, without anyone but Quintis investigating it or asking questions about it.
    Yes, but that's the point: They're not Cenarion Circle forces, they're Sentinels.
    Silithus was stacked full of druids, priestesses and sentinels that he could have sent without anyone ever sending word about it to Darnassus.
    Simply because Tyrande put of theirs under Fandral's command, doesn't mean they will automatically follow every single order.

Especially if said order is to virtually sail to the other end of the world and spy / attack some nation that poses no threat to Night elves in any shape or form.

It goes back to one of the missteps in WC3 which is having the night elves and high elves be buddies. It's one thing that the MMO did well to space, since it made very little sense given the schism and would make even less sense given how the blood elves were during TBC. But since it did happen and hasn't been retconned (hint hint, Blizzard), this is incongruous.

If I were barred from retconning the positive interaction between night elves and blood elves, but still had to change this bit, I'd have just those be remnants of Maiev's forces from way back in WC3 who'd be hostile at Kael from him not keeping his mouth shut when Maiev lied about Tyrande dying and so had an in-built hostility of the blood elves that reached boiling point with all the shifty stuff like the giant fel crystals they'd brought in and the god they kept in their basement.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Who the hell knows at this point. Highly likely that the person who wrote this scenario does not even work at Blizzard anymore, this is, after all, 14 year old lore.
    There really needs to be a person at Blizzard whose job is to ensure that the writing is coherent and makes sense. Rule of cool does not, in fact, always work and having lore characters do stupid things due to some decision being made because *insert reason here*.
    true but it's too late for that I'm afraid.

most of the lore from RTS's were retconned and modified to suit this current crappy writing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    It goes back to one of the missteps in WC3 which is having the night elves and high elves be buddies. It's one thing that the MMO did well to space, since it made very little sense given the schism and would make even less sense given how the blood elves were during TBC. But since it did happen and hasn't been retconned (hint hint, Blizzard), this is incongruous.

If I were barred from retconning the positive interaction between night elves and blood elves, but still had to change this bit, I'd have just those be remnants of Maiev's forces from way back in WC3 who'd be hostile at Kael from him not keeping his mouth shut when Maiev lied about Tyrande dying and so had an in-built hostility of the blood elves that reached boiling point with all the shifty stuff like the giant fel crystals they'd brought in and the god they kept in their basement.
    more like it was a misstep in WoW since WC3 came before World of Retcons.

I actually liked how the Night Elves helped Kael and Co during TFT until they made Night Elves some sort of haters for every other race of elves.
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

5+ Year Old Account
    It was a good chance of showing the Alliance acting sometimes in... less than Honourable™ ways, but in true Blizzard fashion, it was never properly explained - and then promptly swept under the rug, despite it having major consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    more like it was a misstep in WoW since WC3 came before World of Retcons.

I actually liked how the Night Elves helped Kael and Co during TFT until they made Night Elves some sort of haters for every other race of elves.
    On the contrary, the friendship between elven groups with radically different cultures that nearly killed each other over them until one fucked off to the other end of the planet shouldn't be the province of the world leaders immediately being buddies. WC3's take on it was worse than the one that was used in WoW.

Nothing inherently makes WC3 better than what came after, it itself spaced the entirety of WC2 for example with the orcs and featured less than half of the WC2 Alliance and no one from what would be the main human faction in WoW. It's just better as a self-contained product, was where many people got on and owing to its nature it could afford to have a conclusion.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2020-06-21 at 05:05 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

On the contrary, the friendship between elven groups with radically different cultures that nearly killed each other over them until one fucked off to the other end of the planet shouldn't be the province of the world leaders immediately being buddies. WC3's take on it was worse than the one that was used in WoW.
    yeah but they helped because they helped them against the Legion.

plus, the only other reason why they even helped Kael and Co was that they can track down Illidan.

more like we will help if you help us out.

however, the garbage that WoW did to most races is unsalvageable.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    yeah but they helped because they helped them against the Legion.

plus, the only other reason why they even helped Kael and Co was that they can track down Illidan.

more like we will help if you help us out.

however, the garbage that WoW did to most races is unsalvageable.
    I have no issue with it in context. It worked fine in WC3 - if you didn't read the manual you wouldn't even know they'd have anything to be upset about, I'm saying that it was weak in the long term and is one of the things that WoW did right to ditch. Ditto how the Alliance being basically nonexistent in WC3 is fine for the story it sought to tell, or how the orcs having all their plot threads wrapped up at the end of it both work in the RTS, but are untenable in a long-form MMO.

I have no issue with it in context. It worked fine in WC3 - if you didn't read the manual you wouldn't even know they'd have anything to be upset about, I'm saying that it was weak in the long term and is one of the things that WoW did right to ditch. Ditto how the Alliance being basically nonexistent in WC3 is fine for the story it sought to tell, or how the orcs having all their plot threads wrapped up at the end of it both work in the RTS, but are untenable in a long-form MMO.
    that's true but I don't talk about World of Retcons so I strictly talk about WC3 without any knowledge of WoR (World of Retoncs) xd

half of the lore that has been done in RTS's has been retconed or modified.

hence WC should have stayed as RTS.

maybe we would have less retcons and inconsistencies.