Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Undervolting the 2070 Super FE

    Hey lads,

    Does anyone else here have the 2070 Super FE? I just built a new system based on a 5.2ghz 10700k in a mini itx case (h210i) and I noticed the GPU was running kinda hot during demanding games.

    In Doom Eternal, 80°c - 85°c with the default fan curve. This means the card will throttle back to 1750mhz and obviously I don't want that.

    So I downloaded EVGA X1 - which has a much better interface than MSI Afterburner and made a custom, somewhat more aggressive fan curve. Now the card runs between 5°c and 10°c cooler, but obviously isn't as quiet as I would like.

    I used to have the H400i and I'm completely oblivious to my temps back then, ergo I can't say if it's due to a lack of room and/or air flow.

    To draw to a conclusion, I was wondering wether I should undervolt and if others here have done that. There are quite a few videos online about undervolting and OCing the 2070 super, but they're all in MSI afterburner. Shouldn't this also be possible in EVGA Precision X1?

    Has anyone else tried this?
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  2. #2
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,514
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    In Doom Eternal, 80°c - 85°c with the default fan curve.
    Yes, that is how it works. They have a target temperature and hit that with as low fan as possible. Its baseclock is 1750mhz too, so it's literally not throttling.

    But sure, if there's a voltage slider then just turn it down until it becomes unstable under load.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yes, that is how it works. They have a target temperature and hit that with as low fan as possible. Its baseclock is 1750mhz too, so it's literally not throttling.

    But sure, if there's a voltage slider then just turn it down until it becomes unstable under load.
    Ah, thanks for that. I had no idea 1750mhz is the base; in that case it's not too bad. I should've tested the temps in the bigger case, but I never bothered because I average 150fps in Doom Eternal at ultra nightmare. It was just coincidence that I saw the current temps.

    Do you have the same card, by chance? Is there a way to put the new fan curve in the card's 'memory'?

    It blows my mind how many different pieces of software you need to controle a single piece of hardware;

    - I need CAM to change the Kraken's and H210i's leds
    - I need Gskill lighting control or my RAMS continue puking out rainbows
    - I need Gigabyte SIV to control my case fans (or BIOS) because NZXT's fan controller is shit and doesn't allow for the case fans to go below 1000RPM
    - I need EVGA Precision to define a better fan curve

    You know what's worst? That I can't close and uninstall any of these buggy piece of shit applications, because if I do everything reverts to defaults exept my mouse, which has on board memory.
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Ah, thanks for that. I had no idea 1750mhz is the base; in that case it's not too bad. I should've tested the temps in the bigger case, but I never bothered because I average 150fps in Doom Eternal at ultra nightmare. It was just coincidence that I saw the current temps.

    Do you have the same card, by chance? Is there a way to put the new fan curve in the card's 'memory'?

    It blows my mind how many different pieces of software you need to controle a single piece of hardware;

    - I need CAM to change the Kraken's and H210i's leds
    - I need Gskill lighting control or my RAMS continue puking out rainbows
    - I need Gigabyte SIV to control my case fans (or BIOS) because NZXT's fan controller is shit and doesn't allow for the case fans to go below 1000RPM
    - I need EVGA Precision to define a better fan curve

    You know what's worst? That I can't close and uninstall any of these buggy piece of shit applications, because if I do everything reverts to defaults exept my mouse, which has on board memory.
    well can only suggest one thing for your case fans, go old school, get some resistors, every bios I have seen has a really aggressive lower limit mind you.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Ah, thanks for that. I had no idea 1750mhz is the base; in that case it's not too bad. I should've tested the temps in the bigger case, but I never bothered because I average 150fps in Doom Eternal at ultra nightmare. It was just coincidence that I saw the current temps.

    Do you have the same card, by chance? Is there a way to put the new fan curve in the card's 'memory'?

    It blows my mind how many different pieces of software you need to controle a single piece of hardware;

    - I need CAM to change the Kraken's and H210i's leds
    - I need Gskill lighting control or my RAMS continue puking out rainbows
    - I need Gigabyte SIV to control my case fans (or BIOS) because NZXT's fan controller is shit and doesn't allow for the case fans to go below 1000RPM
    - I need EVGA Precision to define a better fan curve

    You know what's worst? That I can't close and uninstall any of these buggy piece of shit applications, because if I do everything reverts to defaults exept my mouse, which has on board memory.
    i know AMD has the option to set your own fan curve using the drivers app, nvidia probably has the same thing somewhere in their control panel

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    well can only suggest one thing for your case fans, go old school, get some resistors, every bios I have seen has a really aggressive lower limit mind you.
    Nah, my bios handles them perfectly.
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  7. #7
    Suprised about those temps. What case and how many fans? Maybe they just run hotter, but I have never seen my, yes old now, 970 run more than 70 c.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO
    NZXT H440 - Asus Z97 A Mobo - Corsair RM 850 - Intel I5 4590 CPU - Evo TX3 Cooler Master - Asus 970 Strix - 250GB SSD 850 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Windows 10

  8. #8
    my RTX 2060 Windforce OC runs at 81C maximum and that's under maximum load stress in FurMark.
    In games temp rarely goes over 75. Quake II RTX pushes this thereshold but other games not quite.

  9. #9
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,514
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Ah, thanks for that. I had no idea 1750mhz is the base; in that case it's not too bad. I should've tested the temps in the bigger case, but I never bothered because I average 150fps in Doom Eternal at ultra nightmare. It was just coincidence that I saw the current temps.

    Do you have the same card, by chance? Is there a way to put the new fan curve in the card's 'memory'?

    It blows my mind how many different pieces of software you need to controle a single piece of hardware;

    - I need CAM to change the Kraken's and H210i's leds
    - I need Gskill lighting control or my RAMS continue puking out rainbows
    - I need Gigabyte SIV to control my case fans (or BIOS) because NZXT's fan controller is shit and doesn't allow for the case fans to go below 1000RPM
    - I need EVGA Precision to define a better fan curve

    You know what's worst? That I can't close and uninstall any of these buggy piece of shit applications, because if I do everything reverts to defaults exept my mouse, which has on board memory.
    Yeah, too many bloatware applications.. There's a reason I don't do a lot of RGB.
    That said, no, don't have the card, but you should be able to save it to the card somehow. Could be wrong, I generally just have Afterburner running whenever I don't run my GPU stock anyway, because that means I'm actively playing with settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Suprised about those temps. What case and how many fans? Maybe they just run hotter, but I have never seen my, yes old now, 970 run more than 70 c.
    The 2000-series has a higher target temperature

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Suprised about those temps. What case and how many fans? Maybe they just run hotter, but I have never seen my, yes old now, 970 run more than 70 c.
    As Temp said, the 2000 series has higher target temperature which means that those temps are okay if you consider Nvidia's relatively shitty fan curve. That said, I would like to run it a bit cooler.

    H210i with 2 140mm radiator fans pushing air in, 1 120mm case fan pulling air out the back and 1 120mm case fan pulling air out the top. I might change the latter two to QB Silent Wings 3; the current onces are only silent below 600rpm, the Silent Wings 3 should be as silent at 1000rpm. I'd go for the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM if they'd be black.

    Quote Originally Posted by Athulua View Post
    my RTX 2060 Windforce OC runs at 81C maximum and that's under maximum load stress in FurMark.
    In games temp rarely goes over 75. Quake II RTX pushes this thereshold but other games not quite.
    I was also testing with max load; GPU usage was at a constant 99% during Doom Eternal and after comparing it with fur, the temps were similar.

    I wonder if the ugly third party cards run much cooler though. I was considering another Founder's Edition when the 3000 series is released, but I'm not so sure now. I wish third party cards wouldn't be so damn ugly.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yeah, too many bloatware applications.. There's a reason I don't do a lot of RGB.
    That said, no, don't have the card, but you should be able to save it to the card somehow. Could be wrong, I generally just have Afterburner running whenever I don't run my GPU stock anyway, because that means I'm actively playing with settings.

    The 2000-series has a higher target temperature
    Same here man, I try to avoid RGB as much as I can. I'll look up if I can somehow save the new fancurve to the card.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-06-22 at 07:27 AM.
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  11. #11
    I'd use MSI Afterburner instead of EVGA Precision X.

    Precision X, last i tried it at least, sucks rocks.

    Ive got my 1080Ti undervolted to .825v - it easily cut 10 degrees off my temps for the same performance. In the summer i cap the clock (using the voltage curve) at 1800mhz just because the ambient temps in my house are hell-like. Doesn't really drop my framerate in most games much. AFAIK, it also applies the settings to the GPU itself. When i was troubleshooting the HDMI ports on my HTPC, i threw my 1080Ti (my spare/diagnosis GPU was tied up) into my HTPC and it was running at 1800mhz and appeared to be using my custom curve. I dont have Afterburner set up to run at launch, but my GPU always seems to be adhering to the voltage curve if i bother to monitor it. (I dont always run HWInfo). Its certainly not running at its 1.125v stock setting!

    Also, in the future/a future build, consider pre-researching which RGB things work with what.

    I have ZERO bloat issues with my ASUS Strix Z370i

    Aura Sync (now ROG Armory Crate as of this latest update) can control my G. Skill RAM (in fact, G. Skills app is just Aura Sync re-badged), my MoBo's RGB, my add-in strip (which was some random strip Micro Center had), and my Phanteks Halos (and it could control the little RGB LED behind the power button, if id bothered to hook it up). It also doesn't run at startup - just starts a very memory light service that applies the RGB settings, and ive never seen it take even 1% CPU. (And it now controls my Keyboard, too - which used to require a separate app, but it is an ASUS keyboard (ROG Claymore) so i doubt it runs other keyboards).

    I like NZXT's cases (though i like Phanteks' and Lian Li more) but their RGB ecosystem sucks rocks. CAM is terrible.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-06-22 at 08:43 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post


    The 2000-series has a higher target temperature
    Thanks, good to know. I guess you can't do anything about that then - Having lived with a dying 470 on my old desktop that was 85-94c all the time (dying :P) I would think 80c is a lot, but if thats the target.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO
    NZXT H440 - Asus Z97 A Mobo - Corsair RM 850 - Intel I5 4590 CPU - Evo TX3 Cooler Master - Asus 970 Strix - 250GB SSD 850 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Windows 10

  13. #13
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Thanks, good to know. I guess you can't do anything about that then - Having lived with a dying 470 on my old desktop that was 85-94c all the time (dying :P) I would think 80c is a lot, but if thats the target.
    I mean, technically you can do something about it..

    Spend a couple hundred euro on a custom water cooling loop and enjoy temperatures in the 50's

  14. #14
    Alright, the unervolt was pretty amazing. I have my card running stable at 1910mhz and .8870v while peaking at 78°c under load.
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  15. #15
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,514
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Alright, the unervolt was pretty amazing. I have my card running stable at 1910mhz and .8870v while peaking at 78°c under load.
    Holy shit, your card is amazing. Try the opposite and overvolt it to shit and see how far you can push the clocks..

    Or don't, but it'd be nice to see.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Holy shit, your card is amazing. Try the opposite and overvolt it to shit and see how far you can push the clocks..

    Or don't, but it'd be nice to see.
    I would bro, but shifting those dots up and down is such a tedious job. I ran Heaven on extreme for a few hours, played Doom Eternal for an hour and Valorant for a few hours; I think I found my sweet spot.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-06-25 at 08:42 AM.
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  17. #17
    Afterburner is a bit finicky and doesn't seem to save voltage curves very accurately. Now, I start at 1935mhz and drop down to a stable 1890mhz when reaching ~70°c. After an hour of Heaven at max settings, my peak GPU temps are 71°c at 0.8680v and 1890mhz.

    Is there a better way to test stability or is Heaven good enough?
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  18. #18
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,514
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Afterburner is a bit finicky and doesn't seem to save voltage curves very accurately. Now, I start at 1935mhz and drop down to a stable 1890mhz when reaching ~70°c. After an hour of Heaven at max settings, my peak GPU temps are 71°c at 0.8680v and 1890mhz.

    Is there a better way to test stability or is Heaven good enough?
    Furmark will load it 100%, but heaven is fine for simulating gaming-loads

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Furmark will load it 100%, but heaven is fine for simulating gaming-loads
    Could you say that Furmark is for the GPU like Prime95 is for the CPU and Heaven for the GPU is like Aida64 for the CPU?

    I still have to test my 5.2ghz oc in Prima95, but I don't want to since it's perfectly stable in Aida64 >.<

    #fearprimenumbers
    "Just flow with the go..." - Rickson Gracie

  20. #20
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,514
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Could you say that Furmark is for the GPU like Prime95 is for the CPU and Heaven for the GPU is like Aida64 for the CPU?

    I still have to test my 5.2ghz oc in Prima95, but I don't want to since it's perfectly stable in Aida64 >.<

    #fearprimenumbers
    Something like that, yeah.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •