Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Overwolf buys CurseForge assets from Twitch

Overwolf buys CurseForge assets from Twitch
    Overwolf has announced the acquisition of CurseForge community and products from Twitch. CurseForge will stay exactly the same as it is right now, however the mod manager will be removed from the Twitch client and will become a dedicated desktop app for PC and Mac. You can read the full announcement here.
    What will this mean for gamers?

CurseForge will transition out of the Twitch client and into a new dedicated desktop app on Overwolf. A dedicated CurseForge team of engineers inside Overwolf will be in charge of continuously improving the Curseforge app to be the best mod manager out there. We’re getting all the code from Twitch, so we’ll start with everything as is, and then gradually add new features and tools like global search and smart sync, based on the needs and interests of the community.

The new dedicated CurseForge app

So is CurseForge going away?

Definitely not. CurseForge will remain a standalone brand, within the Overwolf family of apps. The Curseforge.com website will stay exactly the same, and the mod manager will leave the Twitch client and become a dedicated CurseForge app for PC and Mac.

Will the new CurseForge app include ads?

Yes, with an opt-out. We want to make modding a legit profession, and we want to find ways for modders to make a living. With 70–80% of ad revenue going to creators and distributed based on mod usage, we want to look into incorporating in-app ads in a way that is not intrusive. You might remember the ads on the old Curse client, before the Twitch acquisition, so we’re thinking about iterating on that experience. But, in parallel — for those who do not wish to support creators, we’re thinking about ways of opting out. Clearly, subscription will be one of these options, but we’re also thinking about an opt-out without payment. Eventually, as we’ve seen with gaming apps, we believe non-intrusive in-app ads will support mod authors and help them invest more time and effort in their creations. That said — you’ll never see an ad in-game, just in-app. You’re definitely not going to see any ads inside WoW addons or anything wonky like that.

What will happen to my connected accounts and mod lists?

We’re working with Twitch to ensure a smooth transition. Once Twitch is able to transfer a user’s account in accordance with its privacy protection practices (GDPR etc.), the account should see no change and maintain its mod list/mod packs. Learn more about how Twitch and Overwolf are protecting the privacy of your CurseForge account here: http://curseforge.overwolf.com/privacy

How will I upload and manage my mods?

The mod author dashboard will initially remain as-is, so uploading new mod updates and managing your mods will remain completely unaffected. We plan to buff it in the future.
    Last edited by Lumy; 2020-06-23 at 01:29 AM.

This... is not the first time. Again a different client? :/

just what i need, another client...

We want to make modding a legit profession, and we want to find ways for modders to make a living.
    Uhh...Blizzard ToS is clearly against that?

Quote Originally Posted by DTJames View Post
    That's what I thought aswell, this is a powderkeg.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    At least I can remove the useless twitch now

I believe the Blizzard ToS is against SELLING mods, not against offering them for free and benefiting indirectly, such as from donations of ad hits that happen outside of the actual game. From what I understand, everything will still remain free for users, and any payments involved will be optional and not affect the availability of the mods themselves.

Seems fine to me. Overwolf isn't bad and I've used it before with Hearthstone.

Pretty sure that is limited to charging for addons

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
    All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.
    and not allowing them to advertise for donations in game, but you can make money off a donation on a website or through ads

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
    Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.
    if payments are made from advertising and site revenue through "pay to remove ads" then it's all legit.

Well, never liked the Twitch app to manage my mod. The old curse client felt better and I encountered far less bugs so good riddance and lets hope Overwolf can do it better and if thats's the case, then the change can't come soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Grimalkin of Old View Post
    At least I can remove the useless twitch now
    Yes... the evil is vanquished.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

thank god i can uninstall twitch shit software now

Popular authors have been making money off of Curse for years now. It is not against policy to make money off of addons. The rule clearly states that addons cannot be behind a paywall and cannot ask for money or advertise ingame. Many years ago, OQueue got in trouble for making a "buy me a beer" joke. Addons such as Zygor toe this line by providing the core of the addon for free but keeping parts of it behind a paywall.
    Last edited by Kanegasi; 2020-06-22 at 06:53 PM.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Maybe new devs will actually improve the client and we won't have to deal with the current janky mess anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as I don't have to sit through arbitrary advertisements to access my add-on list, or deal with random ads appearing in the game, I am indifferent to where the mod manager is. Though, it will be nice to get rid of the Twitch APP.. I have zero use for it at all other than my addons.

10+ Year Old Account
    SOB....again?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Popular authors have been making money off of Curse for years now. It is not against policy to make money off of addons. The rule clearly states that addons cannot be behind a paywall and cannot ask for money or advertise ingame. Many years ago, OQueue got in trouble for making a "buy me a beer" joke. Addons such as Zygor toe this line by providing the core of the addon for free but keeping parts of it behind a paywall.
    also zygors guide right out requires you to pay to use it.
    also Trade skill master has a premium service that costs money.
    so both addons are breaking the ToS but well they have been fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    TSM's premium service only really does some extra things in the APP (great deals), you get the full addon without paying.

And Zygor gets away with it through some loophole of the addon is free but the "Scripts" are paid, same way people can do sub for WA strings.

oh good more reason not to use that site any more

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Also all the sim websites require a fee if you don’t want to wait ages for you sim to run.

As long as there’s a free functioning part of the addon, I think that charging for “extras” is not against TOS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    TSM's premium service only really does some extra things in the APP (great deals), you get the full addon without paying.

And Zygor gets away with it through some loophole of the addon is free but the "Scripts" are paid, same way people can do sub for WA strings.
    Reason why people still pays for Zygor is beyond my imagination, apart from sporadic bugs and the WoD part not working, azeroth auto pilot does the same things for free.