Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    great, so yet another program I need to download for my addons?

Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    Ugh... this won't go well. Glad I have my pihole up and running.

Software distribution has been prety well 'solved' now. Encourage the developers of your addons to move to git (github, gitlab, or w.e.)
    We really don't need or want a new monitization option for addon distribution
    Each addon having a git page doesn't solve the "how do I download all of these and update them" thing.

I should get my pihole out and get it going again. I forgot what issue I had with it before.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Great news - no need to have twitch installed any more just to manage my addons.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Each addon having a git page doesn't solve the "how do I download all of these and update them" thing.

I should get my pihole out and get it going again. I forgot what issue I had with it before.
    I mean, it's half the battle. If everything's in one place and it's open source then someone just needs to build a package manager for it.

How many times is this damn thing going to change hands, I'm not installing any new clients It's getting tedious.

Swapping one client for another... At least I was willing to take the bugs and glitches of twitch as a way to avoid ads but now...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    How many times is this damn thing going to change hands, I'm not installing any new clients It's getting tedious.
    Probably at least another time in the next couple of years, look how many time mmo-champ has changed hands.

And Curse addons have only changed hands twice now, from curse to twitch to this.

I tried installing Overwolf once, that will never happen again. It’s a datamining malware app. Crap is toxic.

Back to manually checking for addon updates like the old days. Really glad I adopted the twitch client LATE in BfA so I won't be missing it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    great, so yet another program I need to download for my addons?
    No. Just one you replace with the current twitch app.

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    I mean, it's half the battle. If everything's in one place and it's open source then someone just needs to build a package manager for it.
    So... yet another client regardless?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Can we just stop having to download new clients for Curse every couple of years?

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    There is something like that already! https://github.com/WorldofAddons/worldofaddons

It has it's limitations, like needing to manually add the addons initially. But it handles installation of updates after that!

After reading some comments and seeing the reports on Overwolf.

Guess it's time for me to purge the number of addons and manually update them. I'm not downloading and installing anything from the company that's known for bloatware and infected program.

Gonna miss Twitch. Setting up Twitch was pain in the ass, but after I can just launch it and it open the addon management tab directly, click update all, close it. done.

Good. Damn twitch app won't auto update my addons anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    hope that discord buys it next

Quote Originally Posted by DTJames View Post
    Uhh...Blizzard ToS is clearly against that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    That's what I thought aswell, this is a powderkeg.
    I'm pretty sure that, by "modders", they mean those that create addons, not game-altering mods like model swappers, wall hacks, bots, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I'm pretty sure that, by "modders", they mean those that create addons, not game-altering mods like model swappers, wall hacks, bots, etc.
    They meant making money from making addons, which actually isn't against the ToS if you do it the right way.

Overwolf? Really? Just 2 days ago (20-Jun-20) they had a bunch of users get hit with malware ads as popups.

I would be willing to stop using Twitch; I only use Twitch's client for WoW addons as it is, so I'd just be swapping one app for another. With that said, there is nothing that will compel me to install Overwolf as that new software app.

I would honestly prefer to update my addons manually.... and unless a good non-Overwolf option presents itself, that is precisely what I intend to do.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Overwolf? Really? Just 2 days ago (20-Jun-20) they had a bunch of users get hit with malware ads as popups.

I would be willing to stop using Twitch; I only use Twitch's client for WoW addons as it is, so I'd just be swapping one app for another. With that said, there is nothing that will compel me to install Overwolf as that new software app.

I would honestly prefer to update my addons manually.... and unless a good non-Overwolf option presents itself, that is precisely what I intend to do.
    I just downloaded from them and had no issues (poe overlay on the 19th), so /shrug, i'll just keep using them.