Ashvane's Razor Coral obsolete?

I recently got the ARC, ilvl 450, and have done some limited testing but have not been overly impressed. I also have a 460 Vita-charged Titanshard and 465 Harlan's Loaded Dice. I've also checked the current Worldcraft Logs rankings for the Mythic Ny'alotha raid and almost no one in the top ten dps logs is using the ARC. Although Bloodmallet still lists it as the top BM trinket, it seems that it is no longer the popular BiS trinket it used to be. I suspect that with everyone equipping 3x crit and haste corruptions the trinket has not scaled well. Can anyone comment.

It's good in pure single target, I personally use it in Wrathion, Maut, Skitra, Xanesh, Ra-Den and Shaddar. Not everyone has socketed one like me and it's up to what sims highest. Socketed 475 Dice sims better for me but I haven't got that one yet.

I recommend you to sim your gear and see if it's any good. Use it in bosses where it can get close to full value.

e: as of why it's not popular, even 465 Dice can beat Coral if you have good gear with full crit, haste and mastery % corruptions. It's always up to what your sim suggests.
    Last edited by mmocfd1b0ab5a3; 2020-06-22 at 05:45 PM.

Of the top 10 parses for each boss fight, so 120 total, only 7 have the ARC equipped. So I think we agree that the ARC is no longer BiS, it is being replaced by 465+ Harlan's Loaded Dice, Galecaller's Boon and Vita-Charged Titanshard. However, since my ARC is 450 and socketed, it should serve me well until I get a 475 VCT.
    Last edited by Tanis; 2020-06-22 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
    Of the top 10 parses for each boss fight, so 120 total, only 7 have the ARC equipped. So I think we agree that the ARC is no longer BiS, it is being replaced by 465+ Harlan's Loaded Dice, Galecaller's Boon and Vita-Charged Titanshard. However, since my ARC is 450 and socketed, it should serve me well until I get a 475 VCT.
    450 socketed Coral is not obsolete, you have to remember not every hunter are that lucky and get socket + WF.

I picked random high geared hunter's gear, added 475 socketed Dice, Galecaller and 450 socketed Coral to sims. Coral beats them all according to sims:

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/repo...Tu8CmSH5QmLuXm

Seeing no 450 socketed corals in top spot does not mean it's bad. Getting top 10 logs requires good luck with procs and crit so trinkets have little to no impact getting top 10 logs.
    Last edited by mmocfd1b0ab5a3; 2020-06-22 at 08:31 PM.

A lot of factors here. Starting with better facts.

Top 10 is dumb. Top 100 for every fight on mythic yields the following trinket combinations:
    Vita/Dice 55%
    Vita/Void 23.5%
    Vita/Coral 8.67%
    Vita/Gale 4.67%
    Vita/Wrathion 4.08%

So, why is coral usage not matching sims? Lots of factors.

1. Ideal usage: coral's simdps is based on using it to ensure Lethal Strikes has 100% crit during execute phase. This means the fight must be long enough to gain enough stacks, but short enough to have execute time mirror coral's uptime. This is not realistically going to happen.
    2. Late tier: bosses are getting blown TF up. Wrathion has died in 2:33, Shadhar has died in 2:37, Raden has died in 2:18 for some random examples. This changes the value of various trinkets.
    3. Corruption vendor: as mentioned, coral is based on maximizing crit for the last 20% of the fight. But if you're stacking crit, you need fewer coral stacks (and getting less due to fight time).
    4. Number of targets: coral isn't very good for AoE. Most fights in this tier are not single target.

Then there are additional scenarios to consider. Like how many warriors are in your raid? Execute classes can reduce the potency of coral, because they shorten execute time. How many DPS are using lethal strikes? (Probably all of them). How many of them are doing the same thing with coral? (Maybe half of them). This also can reduce the effectiveness of coral.

Vita is by far the BIS trinket (although Sindrock did manage to get a top 50 Shad parse without it). After that, the second trinket slot is a tossup. Dice is the best all purpose (AoE, M+). Void is better in Raid than outside of raid. Coral might be best on pure ST, if the fight length works out right. Gale and Wrathion are OK if you have nothing else and have the right amount of haste.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    So, why is coral usage not matching sims? Lots of factors.

1. Ideal usage: coral's simdps is based on using it to ensure Lethal Strikes has 100% crit during execute phase. This means the fight must be long enough to gain enough stacks, but short enough to have execute time mirror coral's uptime. This is not realistically going to happen.
    Wrong. Default APL for Beast Mastery hunter uses coral for every Aspect of the Wild, so thats roughly every ~1.1min or so.