Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Windows 10 task bar causes burn in(?) on my monitor

No joke... I noticed some serious discoloring on my monitor exactly on the task bar where my three standard apps are always open. The active apps have that white line below their icon, and exactly on that line, my monitor is now discolored.

Just to make sure you know what I'm talking about, it's this little white line, and exactly on these three spots my monitor has now permanent white discoloring.

Is there ANY way in which I can get rid of this? I'm using the ASUS ROG PG278QR monitor.

Something like this is beyond stupid tbh. This shouldn't be a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I get what you mean here

Anyways, in Win 10 the little line under the taskbar icon indicates a running app, the grayed out app background (like your chrome app in the picture) indicates a currently active app.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Not sure I get what you mean here

Anyways, in Win 10 the little line under the taskbar icon indicates a running app, the grayed out app background (like your chrome app in the picture) indicates a currently active app.
    This is the worst case of missing the point I have seen for a while.

OP. Talk to the manufacturer about it. That's your best option. If that fails then go-to Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

How are burn-ins even a thing on modern monitors?
    You could try changing your Windows 10 theme color in Settings -> Personalization -> Colors to a more darker one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    This is the worst case of missing the point I have seen for a while.

OP. Talk to the manufacturer about it. That's your best option. If that fails then go-to Google.
    That is quite possible :P Does OP mean like, when he does something where the taskbar is NOT visible, those lines are still visible as burn-in?

Because I've never heard of anything like that on a modern LCD monitor. Burn-in is something that happens to, like, old plasma TV's.

7+ Year Old Account
    Screen burn is possible on LED/LCD monitors, but it takes a lot longer than on plasma screens to occur. Unlike plasma screens the effect is permanent.

I have the exact same monitor, which I purchased on release and haven't noticed any screen burn, and that's with the monitor running at least 9 or 10 hours per day. Perhaps the OP leaves her monitor on 24/7?.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best I can suggest is to hide your taskbar.

Right click your taskbar
    Taskbar Settings
    Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode

10+ Year Old Account
    Your monitor is TN. TN monitors can in rare cases suffer from burn-in. Try contacting the store that sold it, or the manufacturer and see if warranty covers it.

Can you get rid of it? Not that I know of. Maybe moving the taskbar helps, but probably not. At least it's at the very bottom of the monitor

10+ Year Old Account
    You can anchor it to a different side of the screen to spread the wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    Screen burn is possible on LED/LCD monitors, but it takes a lot longer than on plasma screens to occur. Unlike plasma screens the effect is permanent.
    Also common in CRT monitors back in the day. Arcade machines had their title screens burnt in after a year.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    No joke... I noticed some serious discoloring on my monitor exactly on the task bar where my three standard apps are always open. The active apps have that white line below their icon, and exactly on that line, my monitor is now discolored.

Just to make sure you know what I'm talking about, it's this little white line, and exactly on these three spots my monitor has now permanent white discoloring.

Is there ANY way in which I can get rid of this? I'm using the ASUS ROG PG278QR monitor.

If you remove those applications those lines are still there?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

These white lines mean that they are open.

Its the asus panels themselves. I have the pg278q and my bottom row of pixels get absolutely recked if i were to leave the monitor on. It goes away after like 20-40 minutes of gaming but if you’re in a white area they get trashed again.

Nothing much you can do. I tried to rma mine but it dont follow under dead pixels

I have my taskbar set to hide but it comes back up if you get some sort of notification in an app.

This is not burn in.
    These lines have the same length.
    If it is burn in, it wouldn't be that uniform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    This is not burn in.
    These lines have the same length.
    If it is burn in, it wouldn't be that uniform.
    Did you read his post?
    I noticed some serious discoloring on my monitor exactly on the task bar where my three standard apps are always open. The active apps have that white line below their icon, and exactly on that line, my monitor is now discolored.
    He knows the line is supposed to be there, but it's gotten discoloured. That, of course, won't show up in a screenshot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    You can anchor it to a different side of the screen to spread the wear.

Also common in CRT monitors back in the day. Arcade machines had their title screens burnt in after a year.
    CRTs and OLEDs where you have something emitting light rather than blocking light like on regular LCDs it's much more common.

i'd make sure it's not a dirty monitor or the viewing angle first. maybe it's not burn in but back light bleed. after that don't think there is much you can do about it other than trying for warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That, of course, won't show up in a screenshot.
    LoL that is funny. Use a digital camera to show it then.

I don't even notice the bar is there.

Thanks for all the replies. I laughed a bit about some when you said it's just the active app indicator lol... I know.

This monitor is running for about 14 hours a day, for the past year and a half. Since I'm using it also as my home office setup, these three Apps are open at all times.

I can show you a digital picture of it a bit later. But the idea to spread the wear is a good one.... Unfortunately it's already out of warranty (I think it was 1y only?). My actual hope is that it's maybe only temporary and that it will go away if I manage to not have those indicators at this specific place anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Its the asus panels themselves. I have the pg278q and my bottom row of pixels get absolutely recked if i were to leave the monitor on. It goes away after like 20-40 minutes of gaming but if you’re in a white area they get trashed again.

Nothing much you can do. I tried to rma mine but it dont follow under dead pixels

I have my taskbar set to hide but it comes back up if you get some sort of notification in an app.
    Yea? I'll check myself if those lines go away if I play some games for some time. All I know is that when I turn off my PC but enter the settings of my screen I see the "smears" of the app indicators. I'll check tonight if it gets better after some time

Definitely a defective or extreme low quality panel. I'd contact Asus, with proof, they may warranty your panel or offer some kind of solution.
    I'm sure many other can attest, but I've had my monitor for near 10 years now and I don't have any "burn in".

I have the exact same issue did you find out what the problem was ? I am out of ideas what I can do about it

Quote Originally Posted by osiris0815 View Post
    I have the exact same issue did you find out what the problem was ? I am out of ideas what I can do about it
    Not much. The panels built in this series by Asus are just very sensitive. Some might say even low quality. I have no idea who supplied them.

I just accepted it. For the next monitor I will do some more in depth research to avoid a similar situation.