Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I am SORE 6 days in a row, using Oculus Rift Quest. Losing weigh while gaming?

Good morning. In my quest to be healthy, an arbitrary YouTuber recommended the Oculus Quest along with 5 titles to go with it.

I bought everything and its been 6 days now, I have been sore everyday. My entire back, my biceps, triceps, legs. I feel like ive been working out everyday. But im playing video games? Its been so awesome.

I go hard in "The Thrill of the Fight". Like im a "real" fighter.

Bought a pressure cooker. Cleaning up my diet.

I highly recommend anyone to try to pick something like this up. I dropped the cash for this and the pressure cooker because, I already bought a 2 year gym pass from 24 hour fitness that I never really showed up to. This seems to be working so far. I love it.

Im having SO much fun and I think this is healthy, I want to keep going, should i? Am I messing myself up? Im good to go!!

I feel great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't hurt yourself. One of my roommates still ices his shoulder after too much beat saber
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    So the quest is truly "all in one"? IE: No need for a PC hook up along with it? Or does it still need to be plugged into a PC with oculus link?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    So the quest is truly "all in one"? IE: No need for a PC hook up along with it? Or does it still need to be plugged into a PC with oculus link?
    The Quest runs without a PC, in fact you can't connect one other then through USB for transfering a movie on or something.
    But of course that limits the graphical power it has, which mostly comes down to "fun" VR games, and not the high-end graphical stuff like Half-Life: Alyx or such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    The Quest runs without a PC, in fact you can't connect one other then through USB for transfering a movie on or something.
    But of course that limits the graphical power it has, which mostly comes down to "fun" VR games, and not the high-end graphical stuff like Half-Life: Alyx or such.
    Been playing fine with this guide Its hooked up with a USB cable

There's also Virtual Desktop. To connect Quest wirelessly for PC VR and Steam VR.

They just released Oculus Quest 2 and are planning on deprecating all other Oculus headsets. Quest 2 looks to be awesome so going to join you soon.

I usually add rest days in my whole workout to keep my sore muscles away from severe injury. Diet and lifestyle play a great role in keeping the muscles healthy and strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do these games really put your body through that much work?
    Genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    Do these games really put your body through that much work?
    Genuinely curious.
    only played with one once and my take was its entirely how much you get into it. You don't need to throw full punches to play a fighting game but if you do it's generally more fun and a good work out.

*it's just called the Oculus Quest, not "rift Quest".

I've had mine since last december and i've just bought a Quest 2. The only other experience I had was using someone's Rift for a bit, but apart from that I'd never really used VR before. The Quest really does knock the rest of the headsets out of the park honestly, which is primarily down to it being completely wireless.

Oculus Link is really good, but i've recently started using Virtual Desktop and playing stuff through Steam which has been amazing to do wirelessly. The developers have said the wireless version of Oculus Link is still not where they want it to be, but it's definitely be a thing in the future. Even if it's a dongle you plug in to get a strong/consistent 5ghz signal would be amazing for those that have wifi issues.

They've pretty much killed off the Rift now as well in favor of the Quest and I can't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    It is and the new generation just launched which (IIRC) which base unit is 299 with 64gb, which is cheaper than Gen 1 64gb. The 256gb version is 399, I bought gen 1 with that much which has cost 500. So honestly if you get one get the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    I just want to highlight this incase anyone scrolls past and just sees "USB cable" you can't do this with a standard USB cable. You NEED the link cable. There are a few 3rd party ones out there with really good, mostly 5 star reviews but I would still stay away from those ones. I bought one when the link was in shortage, it worked fine for a week or so then the headset just died. Couldn't get any warranty on it because I used the third party cable not the official one

And to the OP, thats great but you should really add a rest day in there before you do some damage to yourself, I'd also recommend beat saber and Racket NX. Also hopefully soon the support is returning for the quest 2, theres a third party app that attatches a physical sensor on to an excercise bike and you can bike to places in real time in vr
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    only played with one once and my take was its entirely how much you get into it. You don't need to throw full punches to play a fighting game but if you do it's generally more fun and a good work out.
    So, it depends on how much you want to push it.
    Still, good concept and better than sitting on your ass all day. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I just want to highlight this incase anyone scrolls past and just sees "USB cable" you can't do this with a standard USB cable. You NEED the link cable. There are a few 3rd party ones out there with really good, mostly 5 star reviews but I would still stay away from those ones. I bought one when the link was in shortage, it worked fine for a week or so then the headset just died. Couldn't get any warranty on it because I used the third party cable not the official one
    That's a really odd one, but I doubt it was due to the cable. I've used third party ones and they work absolutely fine - you don't "need" the official link cable.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    That's a really odd one, but I doubt it was due to the cable. I've used third party ones and they work absolutely fine - you don't "need" the official link cable.
    Oculus seemed pretty sure it was the cable when they inspected it when it was returned

Like I say there are some really good ones out there, highly rated by the hundreds. Which is the one I bought. Maybe it was something dodgy in the unit itself which didn't like the cable but either way, sinking that much cash in into a head set you should go with the official stuff
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Just be careful not to entagle yourself in the myriad of cables that'll cause you to trip over and expire
    Last edited by metzger84; 2020-10-12 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your diet will dictate your weightloss, especially if you are getting post work out sorness from playing those games.

the only game ive ever considered buying for fitness is ring fit adventure. ofc at the time it was completely sold out for months and by now i can go outside again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Oculus seemed pretty sure it was the cable when they inspected it when it was returned

Like I say there are some really good ones out there, highly rated by the hundreds. Which is the one I bought. Maybe it was something dodgy in the unit itself which didn't like the cable but either way, sinking that much cash in into a head set you should go with the official stuff
    That sounds pretty suspicious though - I'm not sure how the cable would cause the headset to go dead, seeing as even the USB port wouldn't be able to give out no where near enough power to fry it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by metzger84 View Post
    Just be careful not to entagle yourself in the myriad of cables that'll cause you to trip over and expire
    The one cable, IF you're using Oculus Link. Apart from that cables what cables

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    The one cable, IF you're using Oculus Link. Apart from that cables what cables
    Alright, don't get your XXL panties in a twist over a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by metzger84 View Post
    Alright, don't get your XXL panties in a twist over a joke.
    But.. I don't have any XXL panties, only small ones