10+ Year Old Account

Placement games are a total joke

Won 2 out of 3 placement games and I'm at the same rank as I was at the end of last season! All that happens now is you keep the same rank and MMR and the placement games are treated as 3 normal games, what bullshit. You don't get the chance to start fresh and prove you're better, you're just at the same spot queueing with the same trolls as last season.

The whole point of the placement phase was to coarsely home in on your true MMR faster than normal but now it doesn't do that at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally whole MMR and ranked stuff is an joke, but chances for getting it fixed are like 0.001%

One time I did all my placement games with a friend. We won all 10. I was placed in bronze, he got gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    One time I did all my placement games with a friend. We won all 10. I was placed in bronze, he got gold.
    that's funny same thing happened to me, got back after a long brake, played with a friend for my matches I was actually doing pretty good, we won all of our games, and we ended up getting split up by a large margin... Was more comedic then anything.

They also take into consideration how you perform in those games. Chances are, you weren't doing very well. You always get placed at your proper skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    They also take into consideration how you perform in those games. Chances are, you weren't doing very well. You always get placed at your proper skill level.
    This is not true anymore. They tried that for a few weeks, but managed to break something. The system never returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    So placement games are more than winning vs losing. It takes into account your KDA and how useful you were to the team with objectives, so if you were a tank; damage soaked to how many deaths, how many landed hooks as roadhog or how much shielded damage you absorbed, for healers it takes into account many things like if you were Ana or Brigitte it'll take into account how many stuns/sleeps you did. The system is very complex(and overly convoluted imho), but it's certainly more than just "we won all 10 games".
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Break free from the chains of giving a shit about “ranked” crap in games and suddenly you can enjoy the game for what it is again: a game

Quick play for life

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    This is not true anymore. They tried that for a few weeks, but managed to break something. The system never returned.
    The only thing I know of that is in place, that causes rating to go down over seasons of non-play, is rating decay. If you take a season or more off, your overall rating on the back end goes down and even if you win all plat/diamond games, your rating will be lower than before. Same system in overwatch. So again, technically speaking, you're ranked where they think you should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    that's funny same thing happened to me, got back after a long brake, played with a friend for my matches I was actually doing pretty good, we won all of our games, and we ended up getting split up by a large margin... Was more comedic then anything.
    I also looks at your MMR at other game modes, or at least that's how it used to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Generally whole MMR and ranked stuff is an joke, but chances for getting it fixed are like 0.001%
    This guy here gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    So placement games are more than winning vs losing. It takes into account your KDA and how useful you were to the team with objectives, so if you were a tank; damage soaked to how many deaths, how many landed hooks as roadhog or how much shielded damage you absorbed, for healers it takes into account many things like if you were Ana or Brigitte it'll take into account how many stuns/sleeps you did. The system is very complex(and overly convoluted imho), but it's certainly more than just "we won all 10 games".
    I was mvp most games, mostly playing artanis or azmo

I see so many smurfs now too. Not even sure what a fix is here. As been said it's so convoluted and hidden it seems that yea it's a joke. Best bet is not to take it too seriously as usual and just enjoy yourselves with friends. Just remember, games are supposed to be fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    This guy here gets it.
    Wait... What?

The matches after the placement give or take a way a lot of MMR, I think they're just as important as placement matches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    I see so many smurfs now too. Not even sure what a fix is here. As been said it's so convoluted and hidden it seems that yea it's a joke. Best bet is not to take it too seriously as usual and just enjoy yourselves with friends. Just remember, games are supposed to be fun!
    I think it's just that, now with it being tied to simply games won. Go in there with an atmosphere as you do unranked. That's what i will do this season. Give it my best instant ignore the hotheads that think they are playing in a tournament and try to have fun.

Helps a bit that i prefer to main tanks so sometimes you can "lead" a group into fights.