1. #1

    Some questions about the AQ War Event

    --What's bug farming going to be like on a high pop PvP server like Whitemane/Faerlina/Sulfuras/Fairbanks? (https://ironforge.pro)

    --Will most servers open the gates the Tuesday after the war event starts?

    --Will it lag out like it did in classic? Layers?

    --What will happen to (authentication) servers if 10+ servers all unlock the event on the same day?

    I was told that all the world dragons had to be killed by one individual but I think they were mistaken. If I'm reading the quest lines right it's actually not that difficult to complete the quest line after the gates are already open if you're racking up Brood of Nozdormu rep from AQ40.

    So the short summary:
    --Patch comes
    --Quest to get the head of broodlord lashlayer
    --Kill billions of bugs, get neutral with brood of nozdormu. The person with the head can deputize one more person each turn-in.

    (200 scales for a turn-in, 200/220 rep per turn-in, ~40,000 rep needed, 1-4 scales / kill, ~15,000 bugs to be killed. GD that's so many, and on all but the deadest servers there'll be multiple groups doing it. Although I guess I was picturing soloing it; with a really hardcore guild chain pulling 10, 20, 30+ bugs at a time it might not be that bad. 30 bugs a minute would be 8 1/2 hours of farming or so, if they respawn fast enough.)

    --Get a ton of stuff including a 5-hour Nef kill (which requires a reset since Broodlord is already dead), Maws kill, Defend Tyrande, Kill Ony/Rag
    --War effort must conclude for both factions
    --5 days pass while the supplies are shipped to Silithus
    --Anyone with the scepter can bang the gong
    --Only people that bang in the first 10 hours get the black mount and Scarab Lord title
    --Anyone after can still do it and get the other rewards, it's only limited via BWL lockouts because of the Head of Broodlord Lashlayer and the quest item off Nefarian.

    lol and Blizz will probably just have to open the gates on a few servers like Skeram/Stalagg/Thalnos. Thalnos in particular doesn't have a single alliance player in a parse.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2020-06-25 at 12:17 PM.
    Reminders of what vanilla was like: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...nilla-was-like
    17 hazed on the Golemagg "cinematic": https://i.imgur.com/nlZM3cj.jpg

  2. #2
    The bugs are the bottleneck as you say. Without layering and their current respawn timer I believe it's been math'd out that 9 people total can get the mount in the week it'll take for the gates to open on (all) the high pop servers, and that's if every carapace goes to these 9 people and every bug is killed very quickly right as it spawns, neither of those are realistic so probably closer to 6-8 mounts per server depending on how many are feeling lucky and how many try to profit off of the carapaces (which can be sold).

    The second one is scales off the emerald dragon elites like you mention, but that one won't be nearly as contested.

    Servers will likely crash like crazy, if they do layering the entire event is fucked.

  3. #3
    It's an interesting discussion - as pointed out, there's a theoretical maximum of 9 people who can get to neutral within the first week, but realistically it's slightly lower than that due to kill time etc. On the bigger servers, it's possible that if enough people are farming that none of them will get neutral in the first week.

    It'll be interesting to see on the heavily populated servers how quickly people give up on the farming. If, say, 30 people are going for it and assuming a relatively even distribution of carapace fragments, you'd be looking at most people needing 3 weeks just to complete the rep grind. The kicker, of course, will be that all it takes is for one person to pull ahead and they can bang the gong, leaving everyone else behind. So essentially to get the mount you have to keep pace with the fastest people, but the more competition there is, the harder that becomes. There's a cost-benefit analysis of how much effort to get all the fragments vs the chances of completing - if the 30 people above are all going for it and all receive a roughly equal number of fragments, then the likeliest outcome is that none of them give up, which means all of them need 3 weeks to farm the rep. If one person falls behind, they're likely to give up on the grind, allowing everyone else to complete it more quickly. So there's an element of "luck" in that everyone else's effort affects yours.

    Remember as well that the gates won't open until at least one person has completed the sceptre - I wonder how many servers will end up conceding their chance to get a legendary mount in exchange for a faster opening of the gates. The quickest way to unlock the gates would be for the whole server to work together towards one Sceptre bearer, but larger servers with a number of strong guilds will all want their own mount.

  4. #4
    So is the war effort on these servers just going to be finished immediately?

    I mean if people are talking about opening the gate the 8th day after release and the game has to spend 5 days moving the supplies to Silithus, it means all the turn-ins would have to be done on the 2nd or 3rd day.
    Reminders of what vanilla was like: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...nilla-was-like
    17 hazed on the Golemagg "cinematic": https://i.imgur.com/nlZM3cj.jpg

  5. #5
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    34,066
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    So is the war effort on these servers just going to be finished immediately?

    I mean if people are talking about opening the gate the 8th day after release and the game has to spend 5 days moving the supplies to Silithus, it means all the turn-ins would have to be done on the 2nd or 3rd day.
    Depends on the turn ins. If people have been stockpiling since Day 1, probably. Otherwise I imagine that's the bottleneck more than the Scepter itself.
    9.0 Speculation Thread #1 Leakbuster

    Finally guessed the expansion right for the first time since MoP.

    Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Depends on the turn ins. If people have been stockpiling since Day 1, probably. Otherwise I imagine that's the bottleneck more than the Scepter itself.
    Would be nice if Blizzard threw a curve ball and changed the war effort materials and the amounts you need.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by masticator View Post
    Would be nice if Blizzard threw a curve ball and changed the war effort materials and the amounts you need.
    I'd thought about this but instead of the war effort, if the 4 Horsemen encounter required 8 druid tanks.

    I would laugh so hard...
    Reminders of what vanilla was like: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...nilla-was-like
    17 hazed on the Golemagg "cinematic": https://i.imgur.com/nlZM3cj.jpg

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigy2 View Post
    The bugs are the bottleneck as you say. Without layering and their current respawn timer I believe it's been math'd out that 9 people total can get the mount in the week it'll take for the gates to open on (all) the high pop servers, and that's if every carapace goes to these 9 people and every bug is killed very quickly right as it spawns, neither of those are realistic so probably closer to 6-8 mounts per server depending on how many are feeling lucky and how many try to profit off of the carapaces (which can be sold).

    The second one is scales off the emerald dragon elites like you mention, but that one won't be nearly as contested.

    Servers will likely crash like crazy, if they do layering the entire event is fucked.
    Who did this math, every mob will drop 1-4 carapaces, the time to kill isnt that high and the respawn isnt that long.

    Just went there on retail, cleared out 1 bug hole and got 91 carapaces.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-06-28 at 11:49 AM.

  9. #9
    The Patient Nak88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Huelva (Spain)
    Posts
    245
    Almost July and no announcement for AQ effort release...No wonder why guilds are disbanding and people quitting like flies. Never understood why timegating this much a 16-year-old videogame.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Who did this math, every mob will drop 1-4 carapaces, the time to kill isnt that high and the respawn isnt that long.

    Just went there on retail, cleared out 1 bug hole and got 91 carapaces.
    Someone calculated the respawn time of every bug in the zone killed at optimal rate will yield 9 mounts per week.

    This is the second time I have seen you come up with a rather ignorant retort here, do you have something constructive to offer the forum or do you just enjoy being an ass?

    https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/...g_time_needed/
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    Almost July and no announcement for AQ effort release...No wonder why guilds are disbanding and people quitting like flies. Never understood why timegating this much a 16-year-old videogame.
    Can you please share source for your statement?

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    472
    Hard to say considering there is some kind of dynamic respawns going on causing camps to respawn very fast if its cleared out

  13. #13
    lol and Blizz will probably just have to open the gates on a few servers like Skeram/Stalagg/Thalnos. Thalnos in particular doesn't have a single alliance player in a parse.
    i dont think blizzard is going to interfere with gate openings on servers, particularly toxic ones like these that essentially ran off the opposite faction with relentless griefing

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    lol and Blizz will probably just have to open the gates on a few servers like Skeram/Stalagg/Thalnos. Thalnos in particular doesn't have a single alliance player in a parse.
    The servers that are heavily one sided, their main faction guilds have farmed up both sides.

  15. #15
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    34,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    i dont think blizzard is going to interfere with gate openings on servers, particularly toxic ones like these that essentially ran off the opposite faction with relentless griefing
    Maybe if they aren't open by the time Phase 6 is scheduled. But I doubt they'll say in August "yeah so AQ was a mistake and we're just going to make it automatic now."
    9.0 Speculation Thread #1 Leakbuster

    Finally guessed the expansion right for the first time since MoP.

    Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    i dont think blizzard is going to interfere with gate openings on servers, particularly toxic ones like these that essentially ran off the opposite faction with relentless griefing
    Wont have to. They just funnel the mats to alliance alt accounts via the neutral AH. They are likely already sitting on enough for both factions.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Wont have to. They just funnel the mats to alliance alt accounts via the neutral AH. They are likely already sitting on enough for both factions.
    sure that too

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    Almost July and no announcement for AQ effort release...No wonder why guilds are disbanding and people quitting like flies. Never understood why timegating this much a 16-year-old videogame.
    If it was up to me we'd be doing naxx by now.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    If it was up to me we'd be doing naxx by now.
    And then watch the massive fall off of subscriptions. Why not just come back to the game when the new phase kicks in, it's the same mentality of people who rush to be first at something then complain there is nothing to do.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    So is the war effort on these servers just going to be finished immediately?

    I mean if people are talking about opening the gate the 8th day after release and the game has to spend 5 days moving the supplies to Silithus, it means all the turn-ins would have to be done on the 2nd or 3rd day.
    Most likely on high servers. I'm actually concerned that I won't be able to do a single turn in if I'm not online right when it becomes available.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •