Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
  1. #121
    I have a love-hate relationship with the faction division. It's fun on one hand to go out into the real world and see that Horde sticker and yell at them "for the Alliance" or vice versa. The passion that people bring to the table being red or blue is really fun. It's one of the more unique aspects of WoW.

    Some of the writing is good (Saurfang), some of it is bad (Sylvanas). I think Blizzard's strength is writing large over-the-top stories. (WotLK, Legion, MoP, cosmic chart, Sargeras, ect.) It seems to me that they just have a hard time telling more nuanced stories and seem to blunder those more often than not. (Azshara, Yrel, Sylvanas, Garrosh, Thrall, Kael'thas ect.). It's also why I'm glad they killed Varian before they had a chance to butcher his character.

    This is why I'm excited about SL. It's hitting the bigger picture themes and ideas and shying away the nuance stuff (I hope).

  2. #122
    Old God HighlordJohnstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I live at a location, somewhere, ya know? :D
    Posts
    10,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    And the entire point of BfA was to stop Sylvanas, and save Azeroth from N'Zoth...
    With N'Zoth, that wasn't a factor until post-Azshara. Sylvanas though, I will agree with. I still think you're overthinking things though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    I'm not interested in reading 6 pages just to see if someone else has already said it, so I'm just going to say it:

    Blizzard has been able to "skate by" for a couple of reasons.
    1. The writing isn't actually as bad as the people in this subforum like to suggest.
    2. Your average player simply doesn't care.

    That's it. Your average player is playing this game to play with friends or to have fun with guildies/by themselves. The storyline is just flavor on top of that experience. This isn't a novelized series with a diehard fanbase that freaks out when the writer(s) forget established details -- it's a video game with a wide range of interests that fall primarily in the "interested in fun" zone and not the "deeply interested in the story" zone.

    The writing in this game is never going to be aimed at the crowd that goes to college/university for literature. You aren't going to hear WoW brought up in comparison to Jane Austen or F. Scott Fitzgerald. WoW's is the kind of story where you benefit most from being willing to turn off those hyper-critical parts of your brain. If that's not something you're capable of doing, then, quite frankly, you'd benefit most from letting go because, otherwise, you're only ever going to be disappointed.
    Literally this. WoW is just "Oh, Alliance/Horde fight. Gods, Dragons, Demons, and all things Fantasy exist in this franchise. Beat their asses, players! " and that's it. Most Lore Characters exist just to push the narrative forward for the players.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I mean, that's literally the story of World of Warcraft: It's about YOU! The player! And how YOU experience this vast, neigh unexplored Universe.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    OP is right. we must reject blizzard divisiveness by giving Sylv and the entire horde a giant f you in the form of using out spaceship to level their cities. And Torghast.
    Just give the Taurajo treatment, right?

    Or better yet, why level their cities when we can just enslave them again and force them to wallow in their filth to the point they lose the will the live. Is that too alliance for the 2020 culture?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Did I ever say you couldn't? Holy shit bro. Calm down.
    Yes. You literally told them to not buy the game. All you had to do was scroll up and see exactly what you wrote...

    Like.. fuck dude. It ain't that difficult.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Yes. You literally told them to not buy the game. All you had to do was scroll up and see exactly what you wrote...

    Like.. fuck dude. It ain't that difficult.
    I'd like to introduce to you a little thing called "reading comprehension," since you apparently have none of it. I told the guy that if he's so fucking upset about the direction the creative developers of the game are taking then the choice to not buy the fucking game is more relevant than the absolutely pants-on-head ridiculous idea of a fucking "player story review pageant."

    Like... fuck dude. It ain't that difficult.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-07-04 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

  5. #125
    Banned Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I'd like to introduce to you a little thing called "reading comprehension," since you apparently have none of it. I told the guy that if he's so fucking upset about the direction the creative developers of the game are taking then the choice to not buy the fucking game is more relevant than the absolutely pants-on-head ridiculous idea of a fucking "player story review pageant."

    Like... fuck dude. It ain't that difficult.
    Maybe you should explain why is such a bad idea. As if Danuser & co. were penning R.L. Stevenson-tier of writing

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Maybe you should explain why is such a bad idea. As if Danuser & co. were penning R.L. Stevenson-tier of writing
    Do fans dictate the outcome of popular movie franchises? Nope.

    Do fans dictate the outcome of popular book series? Nope.

    Do fans dictate the outcome of single player video games? Nope.

    But suddenly, because WoW's an MMO with a monthly subscription fans should be given agency over the basic foundational blocks of the story told simply because... well, reasons? Fuck that noise. Players can't agree on anything and they surely wouldn't agree on the story. As I said in my first post, this opens the door for game design by democracy and that's frankly one of the worst ideas I see thrown around on this forum. We need to focus on ideas which bring the community together instead of fragmenting it further.

  7. #127
    Banned Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Do fans dictate the outcome of popular movie franchises? Nope.

    Do fans dictate the outcome of popular book series? Nope.

    Do fans dictate the outcome of single player video games? Nope.

    But suddenly, because WoW's an MMO with a monthly subscription fans should be given agency over the basic foundational blocks of the story told simply because... well, reasons? Fuck that noise. Players can't agree on anything and they surely wouldn't agree on the story. As I said in my first post, this opens the door for game design by democracy and that's frankly one of the worst ideas I see thrown around on this forum. We need to focus on ideas which bring the community together instead of fragmenting it further.
    For someone who loves preaching about reading comprehension, it looks like you are severely lacking in that regard. Blizzard would still get to choose the winner, or could use one of the competing stories to craft their own. Hell, at the beginning of BfA there was a lot of speculation about its outcome, and some of the proposed ideas were really good... Much better than the Disney stuff than we ended up with. YMMV applies, of course.

    Besides, e.g. ESO has already implemented a (limited) version of this, in the form of a "lore committee" of sorts. It exists to ensure the continuity and overall coherence of the story, with players participating in it - and they've been quite successful. So drop the Blizzard Honour Guard banner, and don't assume stuff simply because you didn't understand what was written in plain old English.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-07-04 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    For someone who loves preaching about reading comprehension, it looks like you are severely lacking in that regard. Blizzard would still get to choose the winner, or could use one of the competing stories to craft their own. Hell, at the beginning of BfA there was a lot of speculation about its outcome, and some of the proposed ideas were really good... Much better than the Disney stuff than we ended up with. YMMV applies, of course.

    Besides, e.g. ESO has already implemented a (limited) version of this, in the form of a "lore committee" of sorts. It exists to ensure the continuity and overall coherence of the story, with players participating in it - and they've been quite successful. So drop the Blizzard Honour Guard banner, and don't assume stuff simply because you didn't understand what was written in plain old English.
    What the fuck, dude? What does reading comprehension even have to do with what I said? You asked me a question so I explained to you why I think it's a bad idea (for a second time since you didn't like my first post). You can disagree with me if you want but that has fuck all to do with reading comprehension so please drop that pointless train of thought.

    Further, "it works in {x game}" is a terrible reason for something like this to come to fruition. This isn't me "defending Blizzard," this is me defending the fundamental basics of storytelling for a creative developer. The last thing this game needs is a team of smug douchebags who think their opinions on lore matters more than anybody else's trying to corral the writers to point the story in a certain direction because they feel it's best for the game. Like I said, the clearest signal any consumer can give to a creative developer that they dislike the direction something is taking is by not buying the product.
    Last edited by otaXephon; 2020-07-04 at 06:43 AM.

  9. #129
    Banned Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    What the fuck, dude? What does reading comprehension even have to do with what I said? You asked me a question so I explained to you why I think it's a bad idea (for a second time since you didn't like my first post). You can disagree with me if you want but that has fuck all to do with reading comprehension so please drop that pointless train of thought.

    Further, "it works in {x game}" is a terrible reason for something like this to come to fruition. This isn't me "defending Blizzard," this is me defending the fundamental basics of storytelling for a creative developer. The last thing this game needs is a team of smug douchebags who think their opinions on lore matters more than anybody else's trying to corral the writers to point the story in a certain direction because they feel it's best for the game. Like I said, the clearest signal any consumer can give to a creative developer that they dislike the direction something is taking is by not buying the product.
    You are misrepresenting what I said. Is it intentional (i.e. being disingenuous) or not (i.e. poor reading comprehension)?

    Btw the "don't buy the game" meme doesn't answer my original question, so kindly drop it. I didn't ask you to be my financial advisor or some !@$& like that.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    You are misrepresenting what I said. Is it intentional (i.e. being disingenuous) or not (i.e. poor reading comprehension)?

    Btw the "don't buy the game" meme doesn't answer my original question, so kindly drop it. I didn't ask you to be my financial advisor or some !@$& like that.
    Look dude, if you want to be the guy that keeps giving money to a company which makes a product you dislike, have at it. Just don't get upset with me when I point out the very obvious flaw in that type of reasoning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •