Looking for Video Card Replacement

Good day,

My current card died. Made sure it wasn't my pc by using onboard motherboard graphics. I was using a Nvidia Gtx 970.
    My other Pc specs are: i5 6600k, 16gb of ram, Asus z-170a motherboard, couple ssd's and a 650W psu.

I was wondering what would be a good card to pair with that to give me good fps at 1080p and maybe 1440p if I get a monitor in the future. I mostly play simulators like Flight Simulator, Truck Simulator and the odd AAA title like Call of Duty. Money isn't a huge issue but obviously I am not going to put a 2080ti with my older hardware.

Thanks in advance
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus Z170-A RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 650W M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Monitor: BenQ GW2765 27" Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Keyboard: Corsair K63 Headset: Sennheiser Game One

A 2080Ti would be fine with your hardware, as long as you were playing at 1440p and up. Not that id recommended a 2080ti.

At the moment, you might want to consider grabbing a cheap placeholder GPU like an RX 570 or GTX 1650, and wait for the next gen releases coming up in Sept.

Performance increases look substantial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from what Kagthul said, we can't really tell you what GPU to get if you don't give us a budget or fps target. "Good fps" means something different to different people. I wouldn't be satisfied with <100, but some people are fine with 30.
    If money really isn't an issue, just get a 2080ti for now and then upgrade to a 3080ti when that launches.

If you can wait until September... wait.

The new Ampere cards from nVidia and the RDNA 2.0 cards from AMD are going to kick the crap out of what's currently on the market in terms of ray tracing performance and general performance.