10+ Year Old Account

Won’t turn on..

Hey,

So I have a brand new computer that I built probably about a month ago, and this morning it’s not turning on. I was using it no more than about 5 hours ago and had no issues so I’m confused as to what the issue could be.

Any ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it turn on then instantly off, or does nothing happen when you click the on button?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing happens when I click the power button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pull off the side panel and have a look. It's possible that a cable is just loose, so push all the cables in and give them a little wiggle, there should be no play in them (Also double check the power connector to the front panel button, on both the MOBO end and the button end). It's also possible something shorted, and that should be pretty obvious, just look for burn marks. If you got burn marks, throw out the dead component(s), then get replacement(s). If it's on the MOBO, prepare to swap out a lot of other parts too.

If that doesn't give any result, try powering up just the PSU by itself, by pulling out the 24pin and shorting it (like this: https://www.bit-tech.net/media/image...aa8f7e9b27.jpg ). If the PSU fan starts spinning, congratulations, something is dead that isn't the PSU. If it does, you got a dead PSU.

Since nothing happens when pressing the power buttons, you're likely looking at a dead CPU or BIOS if it's not the PSU.

Of course, if you were updating the BIOS and there was a power outage happening between you powering it off and trying to power it on, you're probably just looking at a corrupted bios, which should be RMA-able, contact the manufacturer or store
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-06-28 at 11:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it’s the PSU.

Any recommendations for something similar? This is what I have now.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair...erID=625230824

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmbryant91 View Post
    Looks like it’s the PSU.

Any recommendations for something similar? This is what I have now.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair...erID=625230824
    Seasonic S12III is pretty decent. Should also be available without too heavy a markup, but PSU prices are fucked due to low/no supply

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Seasonic S12III is pretty decent. Should also be available without too heavy a markup, but PSU prices are fucked due to low/no supply
    I see that. I went ahead and ordered it.

Thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn’t the PSU after all.. I was putting in the clip in the wrong spot -.-

Guess I’m shopping for something else.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m a little computer illiterate (built this PC from a premade list).

Would this work as a replacement for the MB I have now?

New - ASUS Prime H410M-E LGA1200 (Intel 10th Gen) Micro-ATX Motherboard (M.2 Support, HDMI, D-Sub, USB 3.2 Gen 1, COM Header, TPM Header, 4K@60Hz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087M5DFJJ..._xHk-Eb6S6WK7A

Current - GIGABYTE B365M DS3H (LGA1151/Intel/Micro ATX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type A/DDR4/Motherboard) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T6N8N56..._EIk-EbBB4DRAD

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn’t the PSU after all.. I was putting in the clip in the wrong spot -.-

Guess I’m shopping for something else.
    That happens.

I’m a little computer illiterate (built this PC from a premade list).

Would this work as a replacement for the MB I have now?

New - ASUS Prime H410M-E LGA1200 (Intel 10th Gen) Micro-ATX Motherboard (M.2 Support, HDMI, D-Sub, USB 3.2 Gen 1, COM Header, TPM Header, 4K@60Hz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087M5DFJJ..._xHk-Eb6S6WK7A

Current - GIGABYTE B365M DS3H (LGA1151/Intel/Micro ATX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type A/DDR4/Motherboard) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T6N8N56..._EIk-EbBB4DRAD
    No, those use a different socket. You'll want a B365 (like what you have now), a B360, a Z370, or a Z390, these are the boards using a compatible LGA1151 socket. An H310 also works, but I'd advise against it.
    Intel is kinda bad at sockets, so there's also the z170 and z270 boards (And similar H and B series in the 1xx and 2xx range) also using the LGA1151 socket, but these are not compatible due to different pin allocations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm about ready to throw this computer out of the window.

So, I ordered the parts and after that I came across this video on youtube. Long story short, I tried something in the video and it cut on; however, it'll only turn on if the case is being tilted or laying down flat.

I don't know what's going on.

I'm about ready to throw this computer out of the window.

So, I ordered the parts and after that I came across this video on youtube. Long story short, I tried something in the video and it cut on; however, it'll only turn on if the case is being tilted or laying down flat.

I don't know what's going on.
    That's probably a build issue. Most likely you didnt plug something all the way or something is being shorted, look for a loose screw or a missing motherboard standoff. Take everything out of the case, assemble everything on the table/bed and power it on (short 2 pins that power button connects to with something metal). If it works fine then assemble it properly inside the case again.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I think it was how I had everything tied up in the back to where it wasn't able to be fully connected. It's back up and running now.

Thanks for the help everyone.