Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How much would it cost to buy a laptop for Shadowlands?

Hello. I have been out of WOW since early WOD. I am looking to get back into the game by the time Shadowlands releases.

I'm wondering how much a laptop would cost that would run Shadowlands without any problems? I don't need to be capable of running 50 instances of WOW in ultra. Just one that doesn't lag because the computer isn't up to the task.

I'm hoping to spend $500-600. But $400 would be even better.

Edit: What about a desktop instead? And for either, if $600 isn't enough, then how much is?
    Last edited by Dax1983; 2020-06-29 at 01:19 PM.

I have a 2 year-old Alienware 18, and it's borderline capable of running WoW in 4K resolution at a high frame rate and without lag due to graphics.

I have another 6 year-old Alienware M18, that one is NOT capable of 4K at a reasonable frame rate. It did fine before I upgraded 1080 => 4K.

A $600 laptop that can run Shadowlands... sure, I guess, if you don't mind minimal graphics? Maybe a used gaming laptop that used to be great?
    Last edited by Elodeon; 2020-06-29 at 11:45 AM.

Im sorry to say mate, but I dont think you will get one below 700$. And to play smooth at higher settings I think we are talking around 1000$.

Im looking at Bestbuy now, im just guessing you are from US when you talk $. And there is low end gaming laptops for 660$ which Im sure will run WoW but not sure they will manage high settings or raids/bgs. At 900-1000$ you get a mid end gaming laptop with 1660ti which I think will run WoW smooth in every aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    A $600 laptop that can run Shadowlands... sure, I guess, if you don't mind minimal graphics?
    WTH are you talking about, I play the game at 7, 1080p 60 fps on a just over 500 buck laptop. Why do you feel the need to give people advice about shit you don't know anything about?

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    I play the game at 7, 1080p 60 fps on a just over 500 buck laptop.
    If you're fine with 1080p, sure. What laptop is this? Does it maintain 60 fps in a 20-man raid?

My advice is don't.

I'll only change that advice when laptop GPUs are user-replaceable. A gaming laptop means throwing away most of a perfectly good PC further down the line when the GPU can't keep up any more.

If you have to game on a laptop, it'll last longest by buying the most expensive thing you can afford. Expect 3 years out of it, maybe.

Before the Pandemic, $600 would regularly net you something fairly decent but now that range of laptops has moved upward in price range.

You're looking for something like this with a discreet gpu. https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-9300H.../dp/B086KJBKDW

I have a 2 year-old Alienware 18, and it's borderline capable of running WoW in 4K resolution at a high frame rate and without lag due to graphics.

I have another 6 year-old Alienware M18, that one is NOT capable of 4K at a reasonable frame rate. It did fine before I upgraded 1080 => 4K.

A $600 laptop that can run Shadowlands... sure, I guess, if you don't mind minimal graphics? Maybe a used gaming laptop that used to be great?
    4k is not a benchmark for anyone looking for a budget laptop, I can assure you. If you need to show off maybe you can find other threads.

ON: You could find some mid tier laptop but obvs you won't be able to play on full ultra, maybe some low - mid settings comp. I don't know where are you from so I could recommend some laptops from your local stores. However, as the guy above me said, it would be much better to get a PC if possible, but it's understandable if you need the mobility of a laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dax1983 View Post
    Hello. I have been out of WOW since early WOD. I am looking to get back into the game by the time Shadowlands releases.

I'm wondering how much a laptop would cost that would run Shadowlands without any problems? I don't need to be capable of running 50 instances of WOW in ultra. Just one that doesn't lag because the computer isn't up to the task.

I'm hoping to spend $500-600. But $400 would be even better.
    I hate to be negative like this but you aren't getting a SL-capable laptop for $400, unless you want to play the game on the lowest possible settings at around 5 FPS.

There are routinely deals around $700-$800 that would get you a solid gaming laptop. Games Radar just posted some specials here:

https://www.gamesradar.com/cheap-gam...s-week-290620/
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-06-29 at 12:16 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    My advice is don't.

I'll only change that advice when laptop GPUs are user-replaceable. A gaming laptop means throwing away most of a perfectly good PC further down the line when the GPU can't keep up any more.

If you have to game on a laptop, it'll last longest by buying the most expensive thing you can afford. Expect 3 years out of it, maybe.
    What about a desktop instead? Buying the most expensive laptop just to replace it in 3 years doesn't sound at all appealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're fine with 1080p, sure. What laptop is this? Does it maintain 60 fps in a 20-man raid?
    Here we go with the bullshit awards. Why would you not be fine with 1080p on a laptop, what size is your screen on your laptop? 30"? Or are you standing 1" from the screen? 1080p is still the resolution used by the VAST majority or gamers, INCLUDING desktop users where the size of the screen is much bigger. If we go for only laptops it's not even 1080p. You must be the type of guy that buys 240Hz monitors because they "can see the difference".
    Last edited by m4xc4v413r4; 2020-06-29 at 01:54 PM.

What about a desktop instead? Buying the most expensive laptop just to replace it in 3 years doesn't sound at all appealing.
    Bad time in general to buy anything, but if I had to replace a PC right now with that budget I'd go with something like this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3KhRPn

And try and cannibalise the case, PSU and OS from the old PC.

Ryzen 3600 would be a good base and last a long time. New CPU developments are thin on the ground.

I'm sure somebody else here can optimise that. The 1650 is a bit on the lower end than what I'd run. A 1660 SUPER would be better. It depends how quickly you'd be upgrading. The 1660 SUPER should get you 4 years I reckon. If you were looking to jump into a raytracing card, then maybe grab the 1650 and upgrade in 2 years.

what size is your screen on your laptop? 30"?
    The laptop is 17", 4K resolution. Most of the time, I use it with an external 75" 4K screen.

1080p is still the resolution used by the VAST majority or gamers, INCLUDING desktop users where the size of the screen is much bigger.
    Hmm, TIL. I had to go to the Steam survey to check this out.

I expected 4K to be much more popular by now, at least at 30%. I made the transition in 2017, and the increase in quality is compelling. It's bewildering to see so little progress. I expected by now it would be a majority of new systems.

I appreciate your bringing this to my attention. Besides this, though, I suggest working on your social skills.
    Last edited by Elodeon; 2020-06-30 at 02:39 PM.

The laptop is 17", 4K resolution. Most of the time, I use it with an external 75" 4K screen.

I expected 4K to be much more popular by now, at least at 30%. I made the transition in 2017, and the increase in quality is compelling. It's bewildering to see so little progress. I expected by now it would be a majority of new systems.

I appreciate your bringing this to my attention. Besides this, though, I suggest working on your social skills.
    How much more expensive is 4k than 1080?

- - - Updated - - -

Would I be better off with a gaming DESKTOP? Like from IBuyPower?

10+ Year Old Account
    How much more expensive is 4k than 1080?
    From a monitor point of view? About 4 times. You can get a decent 1080p 60hz monitor for ~80 dollars, you can't really get any good 4k 60hz for less than 3-400. On a laptop? It's about 2-300 dollars more, in general at least.

In a performance sense? 4x the pixels means 4x the power needed, roughly.
    Would I be better off with a gaming DESKTOP? Like from IBuyPower?
    Would you be better off buying a desktop? Maybe. They're generally better bang for the buck. But they're harder to move around.

From iBuyPower? Nah. Get something from Maingear instead. They're slightly more expensive, but the build quality is better, and support is *tons* better. For an anecdotal experience, Linus Tech Tips has a secret shopper series where he has a member of his staff buy a computer from most major system integrators, and Maingear stood out in most aspects. The conclusion labels iBuyPower the winner, but they're ignoring how they literally named part 3 after the horrible customer service interaction they had with them. HP also did well in the performance per dollar category, but also kinda failed in the tech support one, though far from the same degree
    It's a 4 part series, so quite a long watch, but part 3 has the customer support section.
    Part 1 (Buying the computers)
    Part 2 (General build quality when arrived)
    Part 3 (Customer support on a standardized problem)
    Part 4 (Conclusion)

WTH are you talking about, I play the game at 7, 1080p 60 fps on a just over 500 buck laptop. Why do you feel the need to give people advice about shit you don't know anything about?
    No you dont.

At least, that wasn't the original price of said laptop. Laptops with discrete GPUs dont start to appear until you get into the ~650$ range, unless you catch them refurbed, open box, or on fire sale.

Why do you feel the need to constantly make shit up too attack people?

- - - Updated - - -

You must be the type of guy that buys 240Hz monitors because they "can see the difference".
    Well, you can. Literally everyone can.

You cant see individual frames, but your eyes, unless you're close to completely legally blind, can notice the difference in smoothness.

Now, whether the difference is enough to justify the extra price is something for each person to make a call on.

Personally, the difference between 60 fps and ~100-140fps is hugely noitecable, but the difference between 140fps and 240fps, while noticeable, is not nearly as profound, so i wouldn't spend out on more than 144-165hz monitor.

- - - Updated - - -

I expected 4K to be much more popular by now, at least at 30%.
    Considering that we *just now* have a 1200$ GPU that can finally (mostly) do 4k/60fps reliably... How would that be remotely a thing? Out of the tens of millions of PC gamers, you think 30% can afford a 1200$ GPU?

4K wont become "common" until there are GPUs in the 200$-250$ price bracket that can reliably push 60+fps at high settings. And even then, people simply do not replace their monitors that often, so theyll have to be convinced to buy a new monitor too... so, 500$ investent, even then....

Most PC gamers are gaming on rigs that the entire rig costs 700$ or so (or less). Dropping 500$ in one go is not something a lot of people can just do.

I made the transition in 2017, and the increase in quality is compelling.
    It really isn't that compelling a jump over 1440p, though, which is an order of magnitude cheaper to drive than 4K.

It's bewildering to see so little progress. I expected by now it would be a majority of new systems.
    Because (most) people dont have 3,000$ to throw away on a video game system. You cant force market adoption when the price is so high. There's no incentive.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-07-01 at 02:58 AM. Reason: spelling & grammar

You'd be better off building a gaming desktop. MMO champ has guides for what parts to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by letgoit View Post
    You'd be better off building a gaming desktop. MMO champ has guides for what parts to buy.
    Dont follow those, theyre awful.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    If you are going to just call something awful, the least you could do is offer an alternative suggestion?
    Literally anything. Those are literally just trash. I'll link this as an example of "anything".

R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    If you are going to just call something awful, the least you could do is offer an alternative suggestion?
    Temp already offered plenty of good suggestions. I dont need to repeat him.