Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    i think the next gen consoles will drive down the prices on the new graphics cards, 500 dollars for the console with rtx 2080 performance
    That would be nice, but the markets are completely different.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    So basically make sure I have cash in hand ready to go day 1 or better yet preoder?
    I don't like preordering stuff. If you can do it without putting money down, or cancel it after launch then go ahead. Watch some reviews, make sure sure the card you're buying doesn't come with a shit cooler that'll overheat. Also, just be wary that with the 2000 series launch, the first batch of 2080's and 2080 ti's had a pretty high failure rate for GPUs, there might be similar problems with the 3000 series launch, we don't know. Worst case you'll have to RMA it after a couple weeks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    I'd upgrade that cpu before i upgraded to Turing or Ampere. That's going to bottleneck these cards.
    So you'd rather he spend money on something that'll give absolutely no performance uptick now and then buy a GPU later, rather than a GPU upgrade which will give a performance bump and then a CPU down the line that will give even more performance?
    You're a weird one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    i think the next gen consoles will drive down the prices on the new graphics cards, 500 dollars for the console with rtx 2080 performance
    Noooooot happening.
    Not only are they different markets, there's no proof that the consoles will perform at 2080 levels to begin with. And don't spout how many teraflops they can do, that number means basically nothing for gaming performance. For comparison, a Radon 7 (About 2070 super levels) can do ~14.2 teraflops, a 2080 ti also does ~13.5 teraflops, but will wipe the floor with it in gaming.
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-06-30 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to do this one piece at a time. The current bottleneck is the video card. After that Ill look into investing in a new cpu and mobo.
    I think the best way could actually be CPU upgrade, because you can upgrade it right now without waiting and you will need it anyway.

As for GPU, yes it's ancient by current standards, but it is still usable and you can hold out for Ampere there, which you really should at this point. At very worst if Ampere fails to deliver viable option that does not cost arm and leg - you are certain to snatch 2080 Super or Ti for bargain bin prices at the Black Friday.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, this is best for a simple reason - you are guaranteed to come out with beast rig by winter holidays with top of the line CPU and GPU together. Baiting GPU now is a quick fix, but you are basically buying what will be old tech in half a year for exorbitant prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I think the best way could actually be CPU upgrade, because you can upgrade it right now without waiting and you will need it anyway.

As for GPU, yes it's ancient by current standards, but it is still usable and you can hold out for Ampere there, which you really should at this point. At very worst if Ampere fails to deliver viable option that does not cost arm and leg - you are certain to snatch 2080 Super or Ti for bargain bin prices at the Black Friday.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, this is best for a simple reason - you are guaranteed to come out with beast rig by winter holidays with top of the line CPU and GPU together. Baiting GPU now is a quick fix, but you are basically buying what will be old tech in half a year for exorbitant prices.
    Yeah, I wouldn't get a GPU now either, but I'd still get a GPU first, I'd just wait until Ampere launches

100% wait. Makes no sense with Sep/Oct possibility for new GPU's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Doing my own research I've read that midrange cards aren't going to be released till next year. What constitutes a mid range card? I have a budget of say 1000cad would that be a midrange card? What current rtx models would you label as mid range? 2060? 2070?2080?2080ti?
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Doing my own research I've read that midrange cards aren't going to be released till next year. What constitutes a mid range card? I have a budget of say 1000cad would that be a midrange card? What current rtx models would you label as mid range? 2060? 2070?2080?2080ti?
    1000 CAD$ isnt mid-range. Thats solid enthusiast level. The RTX 3080 is likely to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 700$ US MSRP (will likely be higher right at launch due to price gouging due to scarcity) which would still be less than 1k CAD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-range would probably be the 1650 to 2060 in the current gen. 1000 dollars is going to be comfortably in the high-end

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait for it. If you have the money to afford RTX 3000 series, then wait for it to be released.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

1080ti owner here waiting for 3080ti / 3090 / 3090 ultra anything which is under 1100$ Budget