Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    One thing SL has to address - for collectors

    Let's take a look at one of the achievements added in 8.3:
    https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=...ption#comments

    In essence, it's a "kill x of mob y to spawn mob z". As grindy as it gets but that is often the case. Except this achievement way way way overdoes the grinding. I spent 9 hours killing jailers and an additional 12 hours killing watchers until their special versions spawned. Not to mention God knows how many hours were spent on the assortment of other mobs.

    That's easily 40+ hours of work for 10 achievement points.

    Let's get some things straight. This achievement is entirely optional and will only ever be done by collectors. But collectors are the people who would like to collecting EVERY achievement, EVERY pet and EVERY mount. By creating insanely grindy, hard-to-complete achievements like these, Blizzard is pushing their target audience away. There comes a time when being a collector isn't worth it anymore because you can spend those 40 hours working on other hobbies or playing other games. Why spend so much time monotonously killing mobs in an RNG-infested hellhole when you could be having fun in the Last of Us 2?

    Hard, grindy achievements should be rewarding (more points, mounts, titles or pets). If they aren't rewarding, they should be easy. Killing 1000 mobs on a 6 minute respawn timer for a 0.1% chance that one of them will "corruptforge" is not fun or rewarding. Just like most other BfA grinds.

    SL has to ease back and make collecting everything easier or it will just burn out more collectors.

  2. #2
    We can only hope :/

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    We can only hope :/
    Haven't seen any statements from Blizzard so far saying that they have learned design lessons from Mechagon and Nazjatar so who knows

  4. #4
    I gave up trying to get achievements like that a long time ago, unless they specifically reward something in-game, or are part of a larger meta that rewards something in-game. You could say that I'm no longer a collector, 10 achievement points are worthless and nobody cares about those really. So in order for me to care about those, they would have to give an actual use to achievement points, like let you buy cosmetics with them, otherwise I'll just keep ignoring any achievement that does not reward anything.

  5. #5
    As an outsider i have a hard time seeing your point.

    The difference between a hardcore achievement hunter and the average guy is that the average guy will only do the achievements that offer rewards such as mounts and the like. The average guy will actually go to great length to get those achievements though, so farming something for 9 hours to get a really cool mount isnt outside the realm of possibility.

    It seems like your problem is that you just arent that hardcore. Which is fine. But then you should reevaluate your reason for playing.

  6. #6
    I mean I ran MT 300 times for the white hawkstrider, and people have been farming a'lar for real human years.

    Somethings in wow take time.

    Edit; I know words
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2020-06-30 at 02:10 PM.

  7. #7
    no one is forcing you to do that, if you want it, put the effort

    it's fine for some achievements to be rare
    and it's fine if they are rare because of time requirements

    it's entirely optional

  8. #8
    Honestly, I think this is the most annoying part about BFA. I mean every expansion had rare *grindy* collectible stuff but this expansion in particular sucks in this regard.
    I mean seriously, compare the amount of mounts a collector has to grind this expansion compared to others.

    Let's see wotlk:
    1 rare mount from dungeons
    1 rare from daily (polar bear)
    1 rare spawn (tlpd) with 100% drop chance
    10 more or less grindy Argent Tournament mounts
    4 rep mounts (back from when dailies didn't award 50 rep per turn in)
    4 rare raid drops
    Total: 21

    Let's see bfa:
    1 mount for every rep (similar grind to the Argent Tournament mounts) so not really all that bad
    4 farmable rare mounts from drops
    4 rare dungeon drops
    7 rare mounts from world rares (Soundless is FAR worse than TLPD because it has both a high respawn timer and a low chance to drop it)
    9 1% drop mounts from expeditions
    8 rare mounts from 8.3 assault rares
    1 1% chance drop from world boss every 6 weeks
    9 mounts from rares...
    3 medal farm mounts
    3 dubloon farm mounts
    1 rare raid drop
    Total: 50

    I've been playing this game since vanilla and no expansion has been this grindy.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by WingsofLiberty View Post
    Honestly, I think this is the most annoying part about BFA. I mean every expansion had rare *grindy* collectible stuff but this expansion in particular sucks in this regard.
    I mean seriously, compare the amount of mounts a collector has to grind this expansion compared to others.

    Let's see wotlk:
    1 rare mount from dungeons
    1 rare from daily (polar bear)
    1 rare spawn (tlpd) with 100% drop chance
    10 more or less grindy Argent Tournament mounts
    4 rep mounts (back from when dailies didn't award 50 rep per turn in)
    4 rare raid drops
    Total: 21

    Let's see bfa:
    1 mount for every rep (similar grind to the Argent Tournament mounts) so not really all that bad
    4 farmable rare mounts from drops
    4 rare dungeon drops
    7 rare mounts from world rares (Soundless is FAR worse than TLPD because it has both a high respawn timer and a low chance to drop it)
    9 1% drop mounts from expeditions
    8 rare mounts from 8.3 assault rares
    1 1% chance drop from world boss every 6 weeks
    9 mounts from rares...
    3 medal farm mounts
    3 dubloon farm mounts
    1 rare raid drop
    Total: 50

    I've been playing this game since vanilla and no expansion has been this grindy.
    This is what happens when you realize your expansion is going to have no substance. You add shitloads of crap to try and make it look like content.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - let's get real everyone, classic needs #somechanges get over it.

  10. #10
    I don't understand the mentality of wanting everything, but also not wanting to work for any of it. Some of this stuff takes effort, and that's really all there is to it.

  11. #11
    Some achievements take 1h some 40h, why would anyone want to homogenize every achievement to take same amount of time?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I mean I ran MT 300 times for the white hawkstrider, and people have been farming a'dal for real human years.

    Somethings in wow take time.
    Do you mean A'lar? Because A'dal is the guy floating in Shattrath.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by WingsofLiberty View Post
    Honestly, I think this is the most annoying part about BFA. I mean every expansion had rare *grindy* collectible stuff but this expansion in particular sucks in this regard.
    I mean seriously, compare the amount of mounts a collector has to grind this expansion compared to others.

    Let's see wotlk:
    1 rare mount from dungeons
    1 rare from daily (polar bear)
    1 rare spawn (tlpd) with 100% drop chance
    10 more or less grindy Argent Tournament mounts
    4 rep mounts (back from when dailies didn't award 50 rep per turn in)
    4 rare raid drops
    Total: 21

    Let's see bfa:
    1 mount for every rep (similar grind to the Argent Tournament mounts) so not really all that bad
    4 farmable rare mounts from drops
    4 rare dungeon drops
    7 rare mounts from world rares (Soundless is FAR worse than TLPD because it has both a high respawn timer and a low chance to drop it)
    9 1% drop mounts from expeditions
    8 rare mounts from 8.3 assault rares
    1 1% chance drop from world boss every 6 weeks
    9 mounts from rares...
    3 medal farm mounts
    3 dubloon farm mounts
    1 rare raid drop
    Total: 50

    I've been playing this game since vanilla and no expansion has been this grindy.
    how is it bad that there is more stuff to get lol?
    yeah it may be more grindy in some places but overall more mounts=good

    as i said above, its optional content, its fine if it takes time

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Do you mean A'lar? Because A'dal is the guy floating in Shattrath.
    Yeah no fair enough I posted that while I was eating lunch. My bad.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    how is it bad that there is more stuff to get lol?
    yeah it may be more grindy in some places but overall more mounts=good

    as i said above, its optional content, its fine if it takes time
    This whole thread reeks of entitlement tbh.
    "I bought the game, i should be able to get all mounts and achievements within 1 hour!!"

  16. #16
    I dont mind that there is a lot of stuff to collect. What I hate is that most of those mounts are reskins. Its cheap attempt at keeping people logged in for longer.

    Look at the 8.3 worm mount. They are all slightly different shade of gray / purple, yet one of them is random drop, one of them is for raid achievements and one of them for all 15 m+. Theres disparity in difficulty and it diminishes the mounts value.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    how is it bad that there is more stuff to get lol?
    yeah it may be more grindy in some places but overall more mounts=good

    as i said above, its optional content, its fine if it takes time
    The point is, this optional content is 1. not fun and 2. overly grindy for what it is. They aren't even original, most of them are recolors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilik View Post
    I dont mind that there is a lot of stuff to collect. What I hate is that most of those mounts are reskins. Its cheap attempt at keeping people logged in for longer.

    Look at the 8.3 worm mount. They are all slightly different shade of gray / purple, yet one of them is random drop, one of them is for raid achievements and one of them for all 15 m+. Theres disparity in difficulty and it diminishes the mounts value.
    Exactly my point.
    Last edited by WingsofLiberty; 2020-06-30 at 02:18 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by WingsofLiberty View Post
    The point is, this optional content is 1. not fun and 2. overly grindy for what it is. They aren't even original, most of them are recolors.
    The op is complaining about him doing an achievement and not getting a mount. And you are complaining about reskins.

    If you cant stomac grinding for the achievements, then dont do them? I mean how hard is it?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by WingsofLiberty View Post
    The point is, this optional content is 1. not fun and 2. overly grindy for what it is. They aren't even original, most of them are recolors.
    if they are recolors then get one and you are done, problem solved lol

    and fun is subjective, if you don't like farming mounts/achievements just don't do that

    i honestly don't see any valid reason to complain about here

    some stuff is optional, just takes time or effort, thus making it more rare and its totally fine

    i agree tho that recolors are cheap and easy and mounts should be more unique but thats not part of this discussion
    Last edited by Finear; 2020-06-30 at 02:28 PM.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Let's take a look at one of the achievements added in 8.3:
    https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=...ption#comments

    In essence, it's a "kill x of mob y to spawn mob z". As grindy as it gets but that is often the case. Except this achievement way way way overdoes the grinding. I spent 9 hours killing jailers and an additional 12 hours killing watchers until their special versions spawned. Not to mention God knows how many hours were spent on the assortment of other mobs.

    That's easily 40+ hours of work for 10 achievement points.

    Let's get some things straight. This achievement is entirely optional and will only ever be done by collectors. But collectors are the people who would like to collecting EVERY achievement, EVERY pet and EVERY mount. By creating insanely grindy, hard-to-complete achievements like these, Blizzard is pushing their target audience away. There comes a time when being a collector isn't worth it anymore because you can spend those 40 hours working on other hobbies or playing other games. Why spend so much time monotonously killing mobs in an RNG-infested hellhole when you could be having fun in the Last of Us 2?

    Hard, grindy achievements should be rewarding (more points, mounts, titles or pets). If they aren't rewarding, they should be easy. Killing 1000 mobs on a 6 minute respawn timer for a 0.1% chance that one of them will "corruptforge" is not fun or rewarding. Just like most other BfA grinds.

    SL has to ease back and make collecting everything easier or it will just burn out more collectors.
    I can think of lots of other achievements that take lots of farming that have essentially no reward. these have been in the game since achievements were started. The rare spawn ones in Outland & Northrend are a good example. People that take the time to farm those out do it for the prestige, that is their reward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •