Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    32,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Moriati View Post
    is it something that you actively think about when you are hanging out with them? or does it not phase you at all whether someone is poor or rich?
    I don't care really.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  2. #42
    Don't care. What's important is their attitude with it and towards others which wealth and lack of can impact.

  3. #43
    If someone is treating me well, I also do the same..Wealth doesn't matter.. I'm already associating with both rich and poor people.. If someone needs to disgrace me,upon his wealth, He's no longer important for me..Good qualities are more valuable than wealth..No one can earn good qualities though wealth can be earned

  4. #44
    It does a lot. Wealth is not everything but everything need it.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I never stated they couldn't get along, but I don't agree with you about people of vastly different financial situations being able to do the same things, and therefore it's somewhat unlikely that they will end up "liking" the same things because they just won't ever be exposed to it or be able to participate in some things because of the money needed to participate.

    People without money can't do things that require money on their own, if they can't do those things how will they ever know if they "like" those things?

    The only reason a "poor" person would ever be able to do certain things is if a "rich" person (using quotations simply to mark a difference in wealth) paid for them to do it. Which, of course is possible, but is not something most "poor" people ever have happen to them not because of pride, but because of social circumstances just not exposing them to those "rich" people.

    The few exceptions I've ever heard of are when old friends go through life and end up in vastly different financial situations, but stay close anyway. There are obviously more examples, but it's pretty rare for this to happen.

    Again, not stating in any way that "poor" people cannot get along with or be friends with "rich" people, or vice versa, just saying that it's relatively rare for people of vastly different financial situations to ever cross paths and become part of the same social circles. The idea that you're able to do it doesn't disprove anything of what I'm saying, you're situation is just one of those rarities I speak of.
    I don’t think it’s such a rare occurrence. One of the high schools I attended had people below the poverty threshold and multimillionaires alike, and aside from some episodes they mostly got along. Some of my ”poor” friends are from that school. The internet made things even easier. I met my best friend over it, first on forums and then in real life “forum conventions”. Likewise I met one of my exes over a cosplay image board of all things, we then attended a comic convention together and boom. In neither case were we aware of the vast socioeconomic difference, which became apparent only when we saw each other’s places. So no, I don’t think it’s such a rare thing nowadays, although maybe the “poor” people won’t have the same exact hobbies and activities (but it’s not like every rich person spends his time doing stereotypically “rich people things” - I for one have very common and/or affordable hobbies for the most part).
    Also, unless one’s a celebrity, there’s no real way to distinguish them from “normal/poor” people in everyday life (unless they flaunt it, and in some cases not even in such cases, because many people go out of their way to appear rich, I.e. by overspending on clothes or cars and the like - and on the other hand there are multimillionaires perfectly comfortable in strolling around in flip-flops and t-shirts).
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    I don’t think it’s such a rare occurrence. One of the high schools I attended had people below the poverty threshold and multimillionaires alike, and aside from some episodes they mostly got along. Some of my ”poor” friends are from that school. The internet made things even easier. I met my best friend over it, first on forums and then in real life “forum conventions”. Likewise I met one of my exes over a cosplay image board of all things, we then attended a comic convention together and boom. In neither case were we aware of the vast socioeconomic difference, which became apparent only when we saw each other’s places. So no, I don’t think it’s such a rare thing nowadays, although maybe the “poor” people won’t have the same exact hobbies and activities (but it’s not like every rich person spends his time doing stereotypically “rich people things” - I for one have very common and/or affordable hobbies for the most part).
    Also, unless one’s a celebrity, there’s no real way to distinguish them from “normal/poor” people in everyday life (unless they flaunt it, and in some cases not even in such cases, because many people go out of their way to appear rich, I.e. by overspending on clothes or cars and the like - and on the other hand there are multimillionaires perfectly comfortable in strolling around in flip-flops and t-shirts).
    First, again, I never said they couldn't get along, I'm sure they get along just fine.

    Second, I mean rare as in the number of occurrences. The number of "poor people" affected by a relationship like this with a "rich person" among all of the "poor people" is a pretty low percentage is all I'm saying.

    The bolded is all I was really referring to initially.

    I agree with everything else you're saying.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    First, again, I never said they couldn't get along, I'm sure they get along just fine.

    Second, I mean rare as in the number of occurrences. The number of "poor people" affected by a relationship like this with a "rich person" among all of the "poor people" is a pretty low percentage is all I'm saying.

    The bolded is all I was really referring to initially.

    I agree with everything else you're saying.
    Well, of course, it’s also a matter of sheer percentages, which influences the rarity of such situations. Your observations on the bolded parts stand, granted, but still, even the most snobbish folks I know have some “normal” hobbies/interests accessible by anyone. Admittedly though among my “peers” I’m the only one who ended up having significantly more friendships and relationships with people from very different background. My dislike towards the majority of the aforementioned peers might’ve played a role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    It is impolite to talk about money at all in the west so I don't see how it would factor in beyond potentially not being exposed to the person in the first place.
    Depends on the country and the demographic. I know what every friend earns, what their house costs, etc. Its normal conversation stuff to talk about: housing, mortgage, work and pay, investments, etc.

    Not daily but its bound to come up when drinking and talking all evening.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Depends on the country and the demographic. I know what every friend earns, what their house costs, etc. Its normal conversation stuff to talk about: housing, mortgage, work and pay, investments, etc.

    Not daily but its bound to come up when drinking and talking all evening.
    Good luck prying what a solicitor earns from their cold dead fingers, especially if you have multiple people at the same firm around the table.

  10. #50
    Money doesn't really plat a role in my circle haha.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - let's get real everyone, classic needs #somechanges get over it.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Good luck prying what a solicitor earns from their cold dead fingers, especially if you have multiple people at the same firm around the table.
    Eh? Were not talking bout colleagues. Were talking about friends and family. Keep up.

  12. #52
    I grew up in international schools, so I was surrounded by kids who also had money in their families. There were a few who were covered by whatever company put their parents in that country in the first place but the problem is no-one flexed wealth, despite the fact we were all at different degrees of having any of it, and as a result, those who didn't have it and were just lucky to be there through having parents that were teachers or working for FAO, the government etc I'd imagine never felt different because of it, even when visiting houses of their friends native to the country (some of the houses I saw in Monaco were stupid, and then I was in Zurich after that lol). These are friends I still try to see often (given despite being from Norfolk Island/Australia I don't really have many friends here other than Uni mates as I didn't grow up here) and it just doesn't come up. So I would think it didn't matter.

    Were there groups of kids that were beyond super rich and would only associate with similar? Yes.

    Family on the other hand. We'll judge how shit your barbeque is and multiple other more pressing matters (mostly barbeque related) before we even think about the money in your pocket. Don't burn anything or it's over.

  13. #53
    Nah doesn't matter, we just chill thats all, never cared about the $...

    But if you are a little bit wealthy, some friends in your group of friends might try to sneak some advantage out of you so watch out...

  14. #54
    I wouldn't want to associate with someone that flaunts their wealth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •