Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Zero. We have family members who are millionaires. But money is not something we discuss. I do not care how much anyone else makes. Not a jealous person. My brother got some inheritance from our one uncle who died and I got zero.

Does it brother me? Not in the least. I am happy for my brother and harbor no hard feelings at all toward my uncle. We still put up pictures of him in his WW2 Army uniform as a way to honor and remember his sacrifice during that time.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

You shouldn't meet the people at different social status.
    There are only two exceptions.

The rich wants to meet a certain group of people. So they can claim "diversify".

They thought they are higher social status, but they are not.
    For example, none of your co-workers is higher status, no matter how rich they claim they are.
    Even your boss is not. If you can meet him regularly, he is not.

There is no way to know someone is rich. Unless he claims himself or he is Trump.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-07-01 at 01:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

The rich wants to meet a certain group of people. So they can claim "diversify".

They thought they are higher social status, but they are not.
    For example, none of your co-workers is higher status, no matter how rich they claim they are.
    Even your boss is not. If you can meet him regularly, he is not.

There is no way to know someone is rich. Unless he claims himself or he is Trump.
    What kind of authoritarian country do you live in where people from different social groups can't interact.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

By the way, I heard Trump owes China 200 million dollars.
    Without bailout, he is finished.

Both congress and president are not allowed to get bailout money.
    I am sure he will find some loop hole.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    So you've never heard of school? Or Uni?

Hell, a partner at a medium-sized law firm is of a different social status to a JA it doesn't mean they don't speak.

Not at all. There is a pretty enormous wealth gap between a couple of my friends and the rich guy will always pick up the tab, as he damn well should.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat, I would be lying to say it doesn't matter at all. However it's relative to circumstances. You can't really have a conversation for example about children if you really don't have any.

I mean it's fine to be part of the discussion but to pretend it doesn't matter is silly. I grew up a child on welfare and food stamps and thus poor as fuck, and now through my own work, since 13, I am comfortable, what I would have thought of as rich then I don't so much now. I do think Chris Rock nailed it when he talked about the difference between being rich, and wealthy.

To some parts of the world the poorest person in America is rich, but also keep that perspective when it comes to the middle class and upper middle class. I mean I have a lot more, but I also pay a bit more too. Taxes, insurance, dues. Then there is just every day regular life.

So that being said, yes it matters because you really can't have a conversation about some things with some people. The truth is that is really what social clubs especially the more exotic and expensive ones are about.

I don't belong to anything like that though, I have friends and family from all backgrounds. However no matter how much I have, I will still always think like that poor kid on welfare who knows there are plenty of people still there, who honestly wouldn't and shouldn't give a fuck about my problems in comparison.

However it doesn't change the fact it is also nice to have others in the same circumstances to talk to from time to time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Not at all. There is a pretty enormous wealth gap between a couple of my friends and the rich guy will always pick up the tab, as he damn well should.
    Hahaha yep, I am pretty much the same way, depending on my company. There is nothing cool about being a cheap ass when you know others are struggling with far less.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I don't know before the Pandemic.

After Pandemic, there are 3 social circles.
    1 People like Trump who got bailout money.
    2 People collect unemployed insurance.
    3 People who work at grocery stores.

To me, the 3rd one has the highest social status !

Theoretically. There are elements like tastes and trips tho. There's a difference between picking up the tab at the bar or restaurant or picking up the tab for a 3 day trip to Greece or a week in Cuba.

I have friends who are nice folks all around but wouldn't be caught dead in some of the joints I like hanging out at with certain other friends. And that latter group of friends wouldn't be caught dead in some of the places my other friends like even if they could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    That's why I specified "unless we're talking about a not-so-significant" difference. Paradoxically, come to think of it, the more of a difference there is the less it's felt among close friends (assuming the fortunate party isn't a cheapskate of course).
    Being a cheapskate has nothing to do with it.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Cheapskate also insinuates that the people you're hanging out with are somehow entitled to your money, which is simply not true.

Something as simple as a night out at the movies with 2-5 friends goes from being feasible to something completely unreasonable.

With that said, OT: With few exceptions, everyone in my social circle is roughly in the same personal wealth situation. I simply am not usually exposed to folks in radically different financial situations, that are either incredibly poor or incredibly rich. We just don't do the same things, have the same hobbies or like/dislike the same things so they're typically just not in my social circle to begin with not because of any inherent bias, but because we just don't ever have much of a chance to become part of each other's social circles.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2020-07-01 at 05:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I float through different circles, some abundantly wealthy, others poverty-line or below. My lower-income friends tend to talk more about money than anyone else I know. They judge people based on their financial decisions, ex. "She got THAT car? If I had that much money..." whereas my wealthier friends have NEVER mentioned money. My middle-class friends, however, have asked to borrow money from me, and offered me loans in good faith.

When we're out as a crowd (rarely) we go dutch most of the time. I had a small windfall once, and paid for the entire group to eat and drink for an evening. I was happy to do it, and felt like my good fortune should be shared among people I care about. For weeks afterward, a pair of friends (guess their wealth) stewed about the price tag of the outing, and the next time I was with them, they expected me to pick up the tab, assuming my pocketbook was much mightier than it actually was. It turned into a big thing, and our economically diverse group splintered for several years. I mostly float now.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

i don't know any extremely wealthy people so not much.
    the only time i imagine it could get annoying is if such a person only wanted to do expensive activities. but then why would we be hanging out to begin with?

hanging out with friends does not need to be a burden on either ones economy.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Being a cheapskate has nothing to do with it.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Cheapskate also insinuates that the people you're hanging out with are somehow entitled to your money, which is simply not true.

Something as simple as a night out at the movies with 2-5 friends goes from being feasible to something completely unreasonable.

With that said, OT: With few exceptions, everyone in my social circle is roughly in the same personal wealth situation. I simply am not usually exposed to folks in radically different financial situations, that are either incredibly poor or incredibly rich. We just don't do the same things, have the same hobbies or like/dislike the same things so they're typically just not in my social circle to begin with not because of any inherent bias, but because we just don't ever have much of a chance to become part of each other's social circles.
    Again, it does when the difference is very significant. Just because I can it doesn't mean I should, ok, I don't think how that factors in what I was saying - I don't feel forced to do anything, and they don't feel entitled to my money; on the contrary I often have to win the resistance posed by their pride if I want to bring them along somewhere they couldn't afford to, or to hand them over the keys of my otherwise empty villas. Or to come along whenever they please even if I'm there, it's not like there's a lack of space. That doesn't mean I always insist to pay for dinner or the movies every single time or refuse the occasional gift from them, of course, that'd be snobbish and uncouth. Then again I'm not a native speaker and the term "cheapskate" might have slightly different connotations than I had thought, but I trust you'll get my point.

I also disagree with the rest of your post. I understand your position because you stated you're not used to such differences, but I am very used to it, and I can assure you people can get along perfectly well and do the same things regardless of whether they have 5 grands or 5 mansions to their name. As I said earlier things do get a tad more complicated if we're talking about relationships instead of friendships, because a "balance of power" isn't quite as important in a friendship as it is in a relationship, but again, we're talking about obstacles that can be overcome with some effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    I also disagree with the rest of your post. I understand your position because you stated you're not used to such differences, but I am very used to it, and I can assure you people can get along perfectly well and do the same things regardless of whether they have 5 grands or 5 mansions to their name. As I said earlier things do get a tad more complicated if we're talking about relationships instead of friendships, because a "balance of power" isn't quite as important in a friendship as it is in a relationship, but again, we're talking about obstacles that can be overcome with some effort.
    I never stated they couldn't get along, but I don't agree with you about people of vastly different financial situations being able to do the same things, and therefore it's somewhat unlikely that they will end up "liking" the same things because they just won't ever be exposed to it or be able to participate in some things because of the money needed to participate.

People without money can't do things that require money on their own, if they can't do those things how will they ever know if they "like" those things?

The only reason a "poor" person would ever be able to do certain things is if a "rich" person (using quotations simply to mark a difference in wealth) paid for them to do it. Which, of course is possible, but is not something most "poor" people ever have happen to them not because of pride, but because of social circumstances just not exposing them to those "rich" people.

The few exceptions I've ever heard of are when old friends go through life and end up in vastly different financial situations, but stay close anyway. There are obviously more examples, but it's pretty rare for this to happen.

Again, not stating in any way that "poor" people cannot get along with or be friends with "rich" people, or vice versa, just saying that it's relatively rare for people of vastly different financial situations to ever cross paths and become part of the same social circles. The idea that you're able to do it doesn't disprove anything of what I'm saying, you're situation is just one of those rarities I speak of.

he really shouldnt.

seems to me like parasitic relation

now if you write "as he could and wanted to" - that would be ok .

Doesn't impact me at all. I don't mind picking up the tab sometimes when I go out since I know their financial situations.

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    I float through different circles, some abundantly wealthy, others poverty-line or below. My lower-income friends tend to talk more about money than anyone else I know. They judge people based on their financial decisions, ex. "She got THAT car? If I had that much money..." whereas my wealthier friends have NEVER mentioned money. My middle-class friends, however, have asked to borrow money from me, and offered me loans in good faith.

When we're out as a crowd (rarely) we go dutch most of the time. I had a small windfall once, and paid for the entire group to eat and drink for an evening. I was happy to do it, and felt like my good fortune should be shared among people I care about. For weeks afterward, a pair of friends (guess their wealth) stewed about the price tag of the outing, and the next time I was with them, they expected me to pick up the tab, assuming my pocketbook was much mightier than it actually was. It turned into a big thing, and our economically diverse group splintered for several years. I mostly float now.
    thats called good upbringing connected with good manners.

the reason why poor people discuss money so obsesively is because they think that once you reach certain financial treshold you suddenly get like +5 buff to happiness.

when reality is that people who have money live exackly the same way like you do - just buy a bit / a lot more expensive stuff. but on daily basis ? they also eat simple breakfest etc i for example have enough money to eat 100% in the city and it wouldnt put a dent in my budget - still i dont because why should i - i have 2 hands and enjoy cooking so why shouldnt i cook for myself and my gf when its fun activity for me. maaaybe if i was super rich i would hire personal chef just to save some time.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    he really shouldnt.

seems to me like parasitic relation

now if you write "as he could and wanted to" - that would be ok .
    Well that is where we differ philosophically, and why we almost certainly would not be friends, whether you are rich or poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Moriati View Post
    is it something that you actively think about when you are hanging out with them? or does it not phase you at all whether someone is poor or rich?
    I don't care really.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Don't care. What's important is their attitude with it and towards others which wealth and lack of can impact.
    Error 404 - Signature not found