Your favorite roguelikes and rogue-lites

Over the past few years, I've been getting more and more into the genre of roguelikes. Games which offer short, perma-death style playthroughs with diverse runs and extremely high replayability. Maybe it's me getting older and not having the focus anymore for long RPG's. Maybe it's just a relatively new concept for game design that I'm just into, who knows. Either way, I have a few favorites, some obvious and some hopefully a little lesser know for people who are looking to find more.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Pretty sure at this point everyone knows what this is. A more "roguelike" style, where each run starts you off very limited and requires you to find your upgrades. The world is inspired by classic Legend of Zelda dungeons, but the aesthetics are...well, look, let's just say if it bothers you, you can easily get past it and just enjoy the gameplay. I think it's cool that every single item seems to have some importance within the story. Speaking of those items, while each run starts you off brand new, there are a whole lot of items to unlock, so each run has its own separate importance. There are also different characters to unlock, so you can find diversity in that, since each has their own starting stats and equipment. If I had one real gripe with the game, is that they bloat the item pool with a lot of useless crap. And not "useless" in "it just takes a specific playstyle to use" or "it's just a visual change and doesn't affect gameplay", I mean actual, legitimately bad items. Good news is there's a mod for Afterbirth+ that shows you what each item does before you pick it up, so you can avoid that kind of stuff. Considering Steam says I have the most hours on this game over any others, I'd say there's a lot of fun to be had. Finding synergies between certain items, getting all the items of a "set" that transforms you. There's a ton to do. Even a New Game+ style mode that lets you restart a run with all the items you just collected.

Slay the Spire - While other card-battling dungeon crawlers may have come before it, this game certainly popularized it. While there's only a small handful of unlockables, there are four classes to pick (three at launch, The Watcher was recently added), and just a ton of relics and cards to customize each run. There are also custom modes, which let you customize games pre-run (although I think you can't get achievements with those). I personally like playing endless, and getting so far where you collect every available relic, and get your deck about as specific as you can. It feels much more casual than the usual regular runs. Side note: While I did say this game inspired a lot of others, there's a game called Neoverse that probably is the closest copy to it. I haven't played it a lot, but it's worth a shot.

Rogue Legacy - The game that started me into the genre. A "generational" game, you travel through a castle, killing stuff and earning money. When you die, you spend the money on a "castle" of permanent upgrades, and you pick a child of the last character. There is gear you can equip, and enchantments for that gear, that you also find throughout the castle. There is also sort of unlimited New Game+. Each time you beat the last boss, you start back over with a new level of difficulty. I think you need to hit New Game +2 in order to unlock all the gear. Not much else to say except it's super fun and super hyped for the sequel that comes out Early Access next month.

Dead Cells - At first, this game doesn't really FEEL like a roguelike. Hard to explain, but it just feels different. However, it definitely is one. Been a bit longer since I played this one, but this game has much more precise combat controls and offers multiple paths to take based on which exits you take through each zone. Never got very far in the difficulties, but it was still fun mess around with. Also has had a recent DLC update, though I haven't played it yet.

Children of Morta - I'm currently playing through this game for the first time, but boy is it packed with options. You have six playable family members (and a seventh character which was recently added). Each one levels individually, with their own unique skill trees. Each skill tree also gives bonus effects to all the family members. There are also many different kinds of powerups you can pick up each run. "Divine Graces" are passive effects. "Divine Relics" are on-use items with cooldowns, with differing effects. "Charms" are single use items that confer either a stat boost for that run, or a single use (like a heal). "Runes" are items that give a buff to each characters' specific abilities, and are consumed based on the amount of times that ability is used. "Obelisks" are similar to shrines in Diablo, you click on em and get a buff for a limited amount of time. On top of that, the money you earn each run you spend on two different skill trees that also give bonuses for every member. Basic stats like damage and health, and also things like rage generation and experience gained. That's a whole lot, so even playing the same family member two runs in a row will feel different. This game feels like it has a much more constructed, progressive story, than most roguelikes, although they also have a new game+, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Dungreed - It's been a long time since I played this one, but I remember having a lot of fun with each. Each dungeon run yields a very different result based on the weapons you find. You unlock certain NPC's that do certain things before each run. One has items you can buy to start with, one just gives you an item. one lets you pick certain classes, each with a buff and a restriction (so a lot of them feel too weak to play). There's an NPC that lets you keep one item from your previous run. There are other gear and accessories to equip too to give you different builds. There's also an NPC that lets you reset your levels, giving you permanent stat buffs. So you start over from leveling with new better stats. All I really remember is stopping this after getting permanently stuck at a certain level's boss.

Runner-up: Lost Castle - I remember almost nothing about this, other than the art and animation feel very Castle Crashers. Also just got a big update so maybe it's time to revisit it.

Looking forward to trying Hades when I pick it up, seems to be getting great reviews.

So what are everyone's favorites?
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2020-07-01 at 05:43 AM.

I just got Hades and Streets of Rogue. Both are extremely fun.

Is Darkest Dungeon a rogue-like? That would be my favorite.

I've tried a few, but the only ones I ever really came back to are Dead Cells and Hades.

I've got 206 hours in the original Binding of Isaac and 755 in Rebirth... and that number goes up every week. Easily my favorite. I do, however, quite like Crypt of the Necrodancer, as well.

I wish I could play Dead Cells, but I can't justify spending the money =/
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

My favourite roguelike has got to be CDDA, its free to play/open source and is updated multiple times per day.

launcher can be found here https://github.com/remyroy/CDDA-Game-Launcher/releases

(most complete) tileset can be found here https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset

playing the current experimentals is usually fine but, can be save breaking if you keep updating the game daily as various functionality changes some things will bug out eventually as things in your save references things that have changed, ideally you'd want to mainly stick to one version per character.

its probably the most content rich sandbox roguelike, you can start the game as weak or as OP as you want, the crafting is second to no game, you can make bases, play a nomad, build vehicles from scratch. you can do nearly anything in cdda, from farming to installing bionic implants. the level of depth is rare.

more conventional roguelike would be dungeon crawl stone soup < that is likely the main one or the closest thing to a user friendly nethack, tales of maj'eyal (ToME) and ofc dwarf fortress which is less of a roguelike but still sorta plays like one.

there is also Elona+ custom G I haven't played this for a while but its got some unique aspects to it. only issue is that its korean/japanese so you have to piss around finding translation patches suffice to say its not a massively well known roguelike and it takes some googling to find the most updated version. but it is a pretty decent one and also quite deep. and also free ofc.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-07-01 at 11:24 AM.

I'm usually not a fan of roguelites per se, but i do love the shit out of Noita.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

The original Rogue did it for me, and later the more expanded version with shops called Hack. Versions beyond that just got silly and bloated.

Last edited by Twoddle; 2020-07-02 at 11:18 AM.

PREY: Mooncrash was a super under the radar expansion to the sim-rpg game from 2017. It has you playing as a guy using vr and a bunch of source data to try and relive how 5 people escaped a base on the moon. But the files are corrupting the longer you play. So you might play as the hacker and have a simple enough time getting to an escape pod but then on run two play a security guard who finds doors only the hacker can open and the simple ways are blocked by gas pipes on fire and theres more typhon enemies and so on. The goal is to get all 5 out in one run, each using the 'canon' escape route which involves characters opening escape routes for other characters and not consuming all the items and so on. Its not super deep but its like a tenner and its a great take on the bioshock/deus ex style game using roguelike one life run ideas.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash