Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    @Zan15 Thanks for the info man. My employer is paying for their part of my insurance in COBRA for 12 more weeks. So I will stick with that for now. But Im def going to take a look at the ACA if my insurance lapses or I dont get any jobs from my interviews. I never realized how complicated and in depth health insurance actually is. I just kinda had it the whole time and never looked back.

y
    No problem i am always here to help since insurance at this point is second nature to me, for some odd reason i enjoy it and hate it at the same time.

Its amazing they are still paying their portion, i applaud them at least for that part.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    No problem i am always here to help since insurance at this point is second nature to me, for some odd reason i enjoy it and hate it at the same time.

Its amazing they are still paying their portion, i applaud them at least for that part.
    Yeah, they really hooked us up with a good severance. Part of me hates how they lied to me, but I know in the end, business is business. So I cant hold too much of a grudge as if this was personal.

I found out during my exit interview that they had planned this since Nov 19, had us train offshore India Hexaware team to support our apps, and cut us as soon as they could handle the support load. I was honestly shocked he would admit that to me during an exit interview, especially after telling me and my team that we were going to move into offshore development management positions. . . . . but wutevz. They cut 350 Dallas/StLouis/Montvale IT workers and developers, all of us replaced by Indians.

/cry
    I feel for ya man, went through the same thing with Capital One in Plano Texas 15 years ago. For the IT team they hired a firm in India to be our 'backup support' and asked us to train them. On top of that they told us of the senior staff we'll be the new teams supervisors for the groups we were training, to help motivate us. But once their training was complete all we received was a pink slip and a 'cya'.

Sucks, but you'll recover and hopeful be in a better position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    I feel for ya man, went through the same thing with Capital One in Plano Texas 15 years ago. For the IT team they hired a firm in India to be our 'backup support' and asked us to train them. On top of that they told us of the senior staff we'll be the new teams supervisors for the groups we were training, to help motivate us. But once their training was complete all we received was a pink slip and a 'cya'.

Sucks, but you'll recover and hopeful be in a better position.
    Seriously, we need to start taxing offshore work. I cant even order pocky in bulk from japan because it would cost about an extra 75 dollars for a case. . . . have you ever tried to bring more than one bottle of Tequila home from Mexico? Hope you got 175$ in cash in your pocket for that shitty Cuervo. . . . . Im sooOOOOoooo glad my government protects liquor taxes but not our ability to work. . . .
    Last edited by Beazy; 2020-07-08 at 08:11 PM.

Seriously, we need to start taxing offshore work. I cant even order pocky in bulk from japan because it would cost about an extra 75 dollars for a case. . . . have you ever tried to bring more than one bottle of Tequila home from Mexico? Hope you got 175$ in cash in your pocket for that shitty Cuervo. . . . . Im sooOOOOoooo glad my government protects liquor taxes but not our ability to work. . . .
    I agree, something should be done about outsourcing overseas when folks locally could use the job. But sadly that is one thing which both parties seem to ignore.

Yeah, they really hooked us up with a good severance. Part of me hates how they lied to me, but I know in the end, business is business. So I cant hold too much of a grudge as if this was personal.
    well the good old days it was 2 weeks for every year :P

when i got laid off in 2009 i got 25 adjusted years of severance.
    I didn't have to work for almost a year

i took the lump sum, then applied for unemployment and Obama extended it to about 50ish weeks.

GG gaming the system

We just didn't have ACA back then so my insurance was basically eating the whole unemployment up.

Our company also tried the India route, it lasted about 3 years before they called it a failure and pulled back the majority of the work.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why this car is automatic...
    It's systematic.
    It's plutocratic.
    Why it's Obamacar!

We'll get a private healthcare mandate and a Medicaid expansion,
    Oh yeah
    (Keep talkin, whoa keep talkin')
    Post-employment coverage n' state level exchanges, Oh yeah
    (It costs so much money, costs so much fuckin' money)
    It ain't Medicare for All, but it's just the best we've got
    America's too racist to publicly fund braces
    Through Obamacar
    Go, go go, go go go go go go....

--

No I don't apologise for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Why this car is automatic...
    It's systematic.
    It's plutocratic.
    Why it's Obamacar!

We'll get a private healthcare mandate and a Medicaid expansion,
    Oh yeah
    (Keep talkin, whoa keep talkin')
    Post-employment coverage n' state level exchanges, Oh yeah
    (It costs so much money, costs so much fuckin' money)
    It ain't Medicare for All, but it's just the best we've got
    America's too racist to publicly fund braces
    Through Obamacar
    Go, go go, go go go go go go....

--

No I don't apologise for this.
    4/10

apologize and i give you 2 more points!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Whenever a young person brags about how they're going to "retire early"... I always throw that wet blanket on them.
    None of them ever factor in medical insurance. How it escalates once you pass 40.
    Or assume they have a condition that requires routine treatment or pharmaceuticals. Or having a spouse with a condition... then it's all about putting off retirement as long as possible to hang onto as many benefits as possible.
    Yeah. I also want to reiterate. You can start Medicare 3 months before you turn 65. In my wife's case, that saved us $2,700ish as opposed to waiting until she was actually 65.

Did he use his signal?

10+ Year Old Account
    I found out during my exit interview that they had planned this since Nov 19, had us train offshore India Hexaware team to support our apps, and cut us as soon as they could handle the support load. I was honestly shocked he would admit that to me during an exit interview, especially after telling me and my team that we were going to move into offshore development management positions. . . . . but wutevz. They cut 350 Dallas/StLouis/Montvale IT workers and developers, all of us replaced by Indians.
    Okay, I was all prepared to say something smug and sarcastic and barbed in the "didn't Trump say he would stop this?"

But honestly, that'd be tasteless and this just sucks. I hope you're back on your fiscal feet soon, and if the ACA saves you some money in your downtime, so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Besides what @Elegiac and probably many others say, Trump could ride to the rescue and come up with a solution that would be literally better than nothing. The fact that he caused the nothing, of course, would be glossed over.

That said, you're still right. There are only two ways something gets through of this magnitude:

1) It's so good it's bipartisan. That won't happen here.

2) The Democrats flip the Senate and Biden wins the election. Then, they can pass whatever they want.
    even if dems win the senate (and white house) republicans will just go back to filibustering literally everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    even if dems win the senate (and white house) republicans will just go back to filibustering literally everything.
    There is a good chance that Democrats may have super majority in Congress. Crossing fingers.

As long as Democrats have simple majority in Senate, they have access to a tool called "Budget Reconciliation." Time to use some of GOP own weapons against them.

its a shame if we had a real president they would be pushing and educating the shit out of ACA to the 20-30 million people who most likley need it and will need it by the end of the year

i can see him doing some massive funding cut to 2021 open enrollement coming up at the end of the year. Especially if he loses.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    One has to wonder who do republicans care about.

Clearly they do not care about their constituents, who overall like ACA, want gun control laws, want police reform.

Yet their representatives fight against all these things and convince them they don't need it...

Often it feels like the left sees a problem, comes up with a solution and that's it.

The right sees a problem, agrees with the left's need for a solution, may actually agree with the solution, will vote for a person against said solution, will then fight against said solution, yet when polled will agree with solution... and it isn't until they are gravely affected by their attack against the thing they also supported that they will change.
    I mean, you've basically just laid out exactly why the right is known as the reactionary party. They can see a problem coming from a mile away, and know that something can be done about it, but their political constituents will convince them that doing something about the problem will cost jobs, raise taxes, or do other unwanted things. Then said thing happens and OH SHIT IT'S TIME TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

/cry
    Misleading or failing to disclose plans of intent that directly and negatively impact the careers of employees in good standing should be illegal and the penalties should be harsh. Unfortunately, this is where 40+ years of politicians who either pay only lip service to workers rights or show outright contempt towards them gets us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    Misleading or failing to disclose plans of intent that directly and negatively impact the careers of employees in good standing should be illegal and the penalties should be harsh.
    As much as I hate the situation @Beazy was put in, the amount of work needed to make this enforced in America would be staggering. Honestly, this is the kind of shit unions were created to fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    As much as I hate the situation @Beazy was put in, the amount of work needed to make this enforced in America would be staggering. Honestly, this is the kind of shit unions were created to fight.
    TX gutted unions pretty hard. Even the Teachers Union here was pretty much emasculated, if teachers go on strike, they can legally get fired like air traffic controllers in the 80s.

We talk alot of shit about FREEDOM here in TX, but we got a lot less than most states, even the mythical hated state of CA. . . .

I am extremely disappointed this was not about a car.