Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Expansion after Shadowlands NEEDS to have a new hero class for hype and new players

The expansion after shadowlands absolutely needs a hero class to drive in new players and increase hype.

We saw with both DKs and DHs that it brought incredible hype and many new players to the game. Having a class start at a high level with cool concepts drove in many new players. Most DHs mains I have spoken to started playing in Legion (as a lot of players keep their mains forever and stay loyal).

I dont care if its Tinkerers or Necromancers or Shadow hunters it needs to happen to drive in hype and dreams.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

No, it needs to have good system and class and endgame design. Stop with this obsession with new classes and races. Good designs tramples all of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, people have made this mistake over and over, but "new players" are not interested in mmos and stuff. Its a different generation and different tastes, they prefer battle royales and fast games. WoW needs to be design for veterans, its the only way to keep WoW alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya, I will say a new class is always fun even if I don't plan on playing one regularly, it's always fun to mix things up. If not that, than at the very least add more races to the game, I'm a sucker for toughs as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    No, it needs to have good system and class and endgame design. Stop with this obsession with new classes and races. Good designs tramples all of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, people have made this mistake over and over, but "new players" are not interested in mmos and stuff. Its a different generation and different tastes, they prefer battle royales and fast games. WoW needs to be design for veterans, its the only way to keep WoW alive.
    To be fair the pendulum of taste always swings around. sooner or later fast and brain dead will fall out of favor, and whenever it falls back to slow and vast again WoW could be in a good spot to rekindle it's player base. Past that the game needs a grate and solid ground work like you said, but also new and interesting ideas on top.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should revert every class to pre-legion if you want class hype, otherwise even the new class will be the same current boring design. How can I get hyped over a new class if I know it'll have the same resource, same 3 button rotation, etc ? If a new player hasn't tried WoW by now I doubt they'll be brought in now of all times especially after the game has been demolished. If you haven't played the game by 2020 its very likely you aren't into MMOs at all.

Pls no more new classes, fix the ones we have! i mean what should the new class be? a dh can do it all, its the best class they could have designed, give them a healing spec and everyone can play a dh.
    fix the classes we have and make them fun again to play, then you dont need something new.

new races are always appreciated but not neccesary.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    absolutely agree. The huge wave of subscribers during WOTLK wasnt bc of DK but because it was simply legendary game and bringing up the most thrilling part of story (The Lich king). actually for me personally was DK more like a reason to quit. They were totally overpowered, got perks from every other class (maybe intentionally to make them popular). Although its not possible, i would rather discard some classes along with class/race combinations. So please instead of new classes rather balance and more creativity in current classes design
    Chin up lil pup.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does it, though? Hero Classes are by their design never used by new players. Because you need to hit an arbitrary level to make one at all.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koppi View Post
    absolutely agree. The huge wave of subscribers during WOTLK wasnt bc of DK but because it was simply legendary game and bringing up the most thrilling part of story (The Lich king). actually for me personally was DK more like a reason to quit. They were totally overpowered, got perks from every other class (maybe intentionally to make them popular). Although its not possible, i would rather discard some classes along with class/race combinations. So please instead of new classes rather balance and more creativity in current classes design
    Lol never forget the 2 life unkillable DKs while leveling, I had the same sentiment , really made me want to alt F4 but the lich king was too alluring.

The best expansions we had have all added a new class, so I'd welcome another onewl
    Last edited by McNeil; 2020-07-02 at 07:02 AM.

New classes might bring new players to the game for 1-2 months but it wont keep them subscribed to the game. People are leaving WoW because of core design issues and no new classes will fix that. Blizzard should focus 99 % of their brain power on making the core of WoW a solid fun and engaging game.

Loved DK launch. All races. Three specs. Great class fantasy.
    Liked the Monk launch. All races. Three specs. Divisive class fantasy.
    Hated the DH launch. Only two races. Only two specs. Class premise was great, ruined by lack of options.

The only positive I can gleam from a DH launch is that at least going forward for new classes they can only go up from two races and two specs - like, what're they gonna do, have it only one race with one spec? I attempt to use hyperbole here, but with how some future class discussions go, sometimes it seems like it could end up like that. Monk very well could have ended up as a one-race class, and if that had happened and DH had gotten all races we'd probably be singing a very obvious chorus to all new classes needing all races going forward - and I don't even think it'd be that wrong to do so.

New classes don't really have a big long term value anymore (IMHO)

People come for 2 weeks and leave again. I rather they focus on existing classes instead of forcing in a stupid class where people are angry afterwards anyway because it was not tinker/necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by crazyswayzee View Post
    Pls no more new classes, fix the ones we have! i mean what should the new class be?
    We got 6 tanking classes: Drood, DH, DK, Monk, Pala, Warrior
    We got 5 healing classes: Drood, Monk, Pala, Priest, Shaman

My guess would be a healing class. Maybe a ranged one?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyswayzee View Post
    new races are always appreciated
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    Ya, I will say a new class is always fun even if I don't plan on playing one regularly, it's always fun to mix things up. If not that, than at the very least add more races to the game, I'm a sucker for toughs as well.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair the pendulum of taste always swings around. sooner or later fast and brain dead will fall out of favor, and whenever it falls back to slow and vast again WoW could be in a good spot to rekindle it's player base. Past that the game needs a grate and solid ground work like you said, but also new and interesting ideas on top.
    Zoomers are growing up with instant gratification games on their iPhones and consoles. There will be no new generation that can handle slow long term gameplay of old MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Zoomers are growing up with instant gratification games on their iPhones and consoles. There will be no new generation that can handle slow long term gameplay of old MMOs.
    Indeed. And the attention span of a squirrel...

10+ Year Old Account
    A standard new class like Monks would be just fine. The benefits of a standard class over a hero class is that it allows players to replay older content, and there are no level requirements to play the new class. Thus a new player can jump into WoW and try out the new class (if they have the new expansion). A new class running through older content helps other new players as well because it assists them in leveling through dungeons and content leading up to the end game.

As for what it should be, the Tinker would be the obvious choice. The concept easily fits every role, and it offers themes and gameplay concepts nonexistent in current classes.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They could very well announce stuff like actual Player Housing or extra specs and it would have the same effect.

I would prefer additional speccs and (or) better core gameplay for each class.

Totally agree with the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The best expansions we had have all added a new class, so I'd welcome another onewl
    Exactly this.

New specs > New Class. Pure DPS classes all need an alternative role as well.