Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I really don't think Rey, Finn, and Poe can pull it off. So does Disney try to fix Rey, Finn, and Poe? Do they just dump them and go forward creating all new heroes we've never heard of before hoping they do better than Rey, Finn, and Poe? Or does try use a mulligan to make Ep 7 through 9 again in hopes that they can use Luke, Han, and Leia to boost new characters that can carry a franchise?
    Ep9 is probably the worst Star Wars movie but one thing it did correctly was fix Finn's storyline. He left the movie with the most potential.

Rey and Poe are only thinly sketched in characters. Abrams probably figured if SW already had one desert dwelling young adult with force potential there was no need to actually create a backstory. We, the audience, would just "get it". Her story is too intertwined with Ren's and she left the series without much story of her own.

Poe's just a generic maverick who gets by with some swagger, a cute robot and assumed piloting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Normal people don't care. They watch and go "LUKES BACK" and shove popcorn in their mouths.
    All I could hear was the Screen Rant, "Pitch Meetings" guy getting excited saying, "he's from the other movie!", when he hears Luke is going to be put back in.

Considering how many times we've seen other movies rebooted, I don't think it's a problem for casual movie goers. They just want to see a good movie. The Bale Batman reboot did very well, and is still considered the best Batman series by most fans. The folks who would care about a SW reboot would be the SW lore nerds, so I would think the question would come down to how many just want current episodes 7-9 erased.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Ep9 is probably the worst Star Wars movie but one thing it did correctly was fix Finn's storyline. He left the movie with the most potential.

Rey and Poe are only thinly sketched in characters. Abrams probably figured if SW already had one desert dwelling young adult with force potential there was no need to actually create a backstory. We, the audience, would just "get it". Her story is too intertwined with Ren's and she left the series without much story of her own.

Poe's just a generic maverick who gets by with some swagger, a cute robot and assumed piloting skills.
    I liked the potential of stories involving Finn and the other maybe-Force-sensitive ex-stormtroppers. That feels more like a TV series, but they might be able to do decent at the box office (maybe?).
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2020-07-14 at 01:39 AM.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

15+ Year Old Account
    I am still really hoping they push forward with more Solo movies. I'm one of the few that enjoyed it. Especially the ending where they set up sequels involving Black Sun; Maul; crime syndicates, etc. I think there's a lot they can use there. My fear for Solo was it coming in on the heels of TLJ and the "boycott Disney" movement that TLJ spurred. Maybe I'm too hopeful about that and Solo just wasn't a good movie, I dunno. I liked it.
    The problem with solo was sort of the same problem with the Disney sequels. They added some stupid stuff in that brought down the movie and now can't really be taken back. The dumb parts for me were Lando (I don't like the actor and style), lando's co-pilot, and the kessel run sequence. The rest can be fine and most of my objections for it are based on growing up with the old EU stuff so it makes me a little biased.

Even if they don't continue Solo they very well might do the syndicates or at least the Crimson dawn and Maul since he is tied to Mandalorians and Clone Wars. They also just announced the The Bad Batch (I thought that A was an I at first and was surprised it was on D+) as a spin off. So they are sticking close to those story lines.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-07-14 at 02:42 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The problem with solo was sort of the same problem with the Disney sequels. They added some stupid stuff in that brought down the movie and now can't really be taken back. The dumb parts for me were Lando (I don't like the actor and style), lando's co-pilot, and the kessel run sequence. The rest can be fine and most of my objections for it are based on growing up with the old EU stuff so it makes me a little biased.

Even if they don't continue Solo they very well might do the syndicates or at least the Crimson dawn and Maul since he is tied to Mandalorians and Clone Wars. They also just announced the The Bad Batch (I thought that A was an I at first and was surprised it was on D+) as a spin off. So they are sticking close to those story lines.
    That's funny. I thought Donald Glover was one of the highlights to the movie. I loved his Lando. I thought he did a good homage to Billy Dee. I didn't care for the Kessel Run, but I liked what they did to show how the Falcon got it's shape, with the missing pod and what not.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It has only been 7 years since Disney acquired Star Wars. Recouping such a big investment in nearly 10 years is still good. The deal was also for half cash half Disney stock.
    Tell that to a investor.... You invest a mertic ton of money in my product, and I will break even in about 10 year. Any taker? And after almost 10 year the Star War IP have "brand fatigue" and have to scale back.

- - - Updated - - -

Finn before ep9, a "unique" Stromtrooper who defected. Now its common that Stormtrooper defect....you never lern in the MOVIE that he is force sensitive.

It would've made sense if Rey was the Last Jedi from Luke's academy that escaped the destruction so she outcasted herself and was the only one to know about Luke's whereabouts. This would've ended the maRey-sue argument from the start. also, rose, hux, poe [sorry not sorry], snoke and that pink haired bitch shouldn't have never been characters and palpatine should have been the villain from the beginning.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

I was suitably disillusioned with the franchise after Episode 1-3, so the sequels were all thoroughly entertaining and anyone who took them remotely seriously had simply forgotten the lessons that episodes 1-3 taught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I was suitably disillusioned with the franchise after Episode 1-3, so the sequels were all thoroughly entertaining and anyone who took them remotely seriously had simply forgotten the lessons that episodes 1-3 taught.
    That people aren't allowed to take it serious now because you said so but it was fine when you did it?

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinSum View Post
    That people aren't allowed to take it serious now because you said so but it was fine when you did it?
    Okay .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just abandon the entire "Skywalker" era. The best Star Wars settings and stories has nothing to do with Skywalkers.
    I want to see John Favreau do a Darth Bane trilogy. Think he'd nail that storyline.

Or shit, just go totally off any of the pre-established books/movies. I just don't want more Skywalker stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    Finn before ep9, a "unique" Stromtrooper who defected. Now its common that Stormtrooper defect....you never lern in the MOVIE that he is force sensitive.
    It was implied that the drugs that controlled the new Stormtroopers needed to be periodically adjusted and if they weren't the FO would lose control of them.

Finn meeting other former troopers allowed him to come to the grips with his past. Kind of like group therapy where you shoot Space Nazis instead of talking over donuts. His potential for character development has nothing to do with being force sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Okay .
    It's funny. Besides, what's this lesson you learned that people should follow since you don't take this seriously?

- - - Updated - - -

It was implied that the drugs that controlled the new Stormtroopers needed to be periodically adjusted and if they weren't the FO would lose control of them.

Finn meeting other former troopers allowed him to come to the grips with his past. Kind of like group therapy where you shoot Space Nazis instead of talking over donuts. His potential for character development has nothing to do with being force sensitive.
    They wasted that development as soon as Finn started killing Stormtroopers without a second thought. How many people trapped in the same garbage situation but we're fine with them being killed because we never saw their face?

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    It would've made sense if Rey was the Last Jedi from Luke's academy that escaped the destruction so she outcasted herself and was the only one to know about Luke's whereabouts. This would've ended the maRey-sue argument from the start.
    So what you're saying is the movie's writer is lazy and that's why she's a Mary Sue? This is proof that she isn't a Mary Sue because that would at least take effort. No effort was expended in Rey's creation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    also, rose, hux, poe [sorry not sorry], snoke and that pink haired bitch shouldn't have never been characters and palpatine should have been the villain from the beginning.
    Rose - Ok, I got nothing. She's technically the sidekick of the sidekick (ie she's Chewie) but she didn't even make it that far.
    Hux - Someone's gotta be the Grand Moff. There's a military to run and I liked that he hated the Sith.
    Poe - Someone's gotta be in charge of the Rebels. Also he's a great fighter pilot! I can't even remember any cool fighter scenes. Thanks JJ.
    Snoke - Someone's gotta be in charge of the First Order. And also be one of Kylo's dads! So Kylo has something to murder.
    Holdo - Someone's gotta say the White Male is Cool and then sacrifice herself so the Cool White Male can be in charge. Why is she considered a radical feminist again?
    Palpatine - Is dead. And not even the great Ian McDiarmid could salvage what he was given.

- - - Updated - - -

They wasted that development as soon as Finn started killing Stormtroopers without a second thought. How many people trapped in the same garbage situation but we're fine with them being killed because we never saw their face?
    When you're in a war, you shoot the enemy. Should Allied soldiers taken a breather from shooting the Wehrmacht because some of them were good men who were led astray by the Nazis?

So what you're saying is the movie's writer is lazy and that's why she's a Mary Sue? This is proof that she isn't a Mary Sue because that would at least take effort. No effort was expended in Rey's creation.

Rose - Ok, I got nothing. She's technically the sidekick of the sidekick (ie she's Chewie) but she didn't even make it that far.
    Hux - Someone's gotta be the Grand Moff. There's a military to run and I liked that he hated the Sith.
    Poe - Someone's gotta be in charge of the Rebels. Also he's a great fighter pilot! I can't even remember any cool fighter scenes. Thanks JJ.
    Snoke - Someone's gotta be in charge of the First Order. And also be one of Kylo's dads! So Kylo has something to murder.
    Holdo - Someone's gotta say the White Male is Cool and then sacrifice herself so the Cool White Male can be in charge. Why is she considered a radical feminist again?
    Palpatine - Is dead. And not even the great Ian McDiarmid could salvage what he was given.

- - - Updated - - -

When you're in a war, you shoot the enemy. Should Allied soldiers taken a breather from shooting the Wehrmacht because some of them were good men who were led astray by the Nazis?
    When
    1. We're supposed to sympathize with someone who got free of the brainwashing
    2. Learn a lot of these soldiers are indoctrinated kidnapping victims and not willing conscripts

It shouldn't be easy to kill them by the boatload while cheering. Jannah and her unit make it worse since, unless you want to say they're all force sensitive, anyone can potentially break free.

Just don't make them the equivalent of child soldiers from the Congo if you want faceless mooks to kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would agree that it's silly to say there's no excitement. And I could definitely be wrong about there only being little excitement. I'm just going by box office metrics and toy sales, both which show a precipitous and trending drop. You are correct in that I have a personal disdain in the direction Kennedy steered LucasFilm. I've never tried to hide that. I think the Mandalorian was a great first step at righting the ship. There's a lot of excitement around that. I'm just not sure how that pushes Star Wars merchandise sales or billion dollar box office movies that Disney expects.

I really don't think Rey, Finn, and Poe can pull it off. So does Disney try to fix Rey, Finn, and Poe? Do they just dump them and go forward creating all new heroes we've never heard of before hoping they do better than Rey, Finn, and Poe? Or does try use a mulligan to make Ep 7 through 9 again in hopes that they can use Luke, Han, and Leia to boost new characters that can carry a franchise?.
    That's exactly what they did in the ST in the first place. The result is that it diverted the attention from the new heroes. Puting too much emphasis on Luke, Han and Leia was a mistake. They should have only be present in the first movie for some scenes, to send the heroes on their quest or lend some help, and that's it. Then the new trio would have had the breathing room to grow on their own. Personally, I liked the ST alright, but that's one of the weaknesses I've found in them.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

But Finn are NOT shoting space-nazis (most of the time) he is shooting innocent peopel that the space nazis controll by adjusting/drugs. Think the moral dilemma then he realise that all the stromtrooper he have killed was "innocent" (innocent=there real personality was not in controll of there action)

Then we have the reistence like Rey who laughing and enjoy herself then she kill the "innocent"

- - - Updated - - -

WhenJust don't make them the equivalent of child soldiers from the Congo if you want faceless mooks to kill.
    Totally agree with you. They open the Pandora's Box then Finns defection was no longer unique but common.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    That's exactly what they did in the ST in the first place. The result is that it diverted the attention from the new heroes. Puting too much emphasis on Luke, Han and Leia was a mistake. They should have only be present in the first movie for some scenes, to send the heroes on their quest or lend some help, and that's it. Then the new trio would have had the breathing room to grow on their own. Personally, I liked the ST alright, but that's one of the weaknesses I've found in them.
    There's the catch 22. They could have completely ignored the OT and gone far enough into the future enough to actually make characters myths of the past.

Disney wanted it like this because they wanted the easy way to get attention. What better way than to plaster their faces and the millennium falcon everywhere.

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. (Unless we need it for marketing.)

When
    1. We're supposed to sympathize with someone who got free of the brainwashing
    2. Learn a lot of these soldiers are indoctrinated kidnapping victims and not willing conscripts

It shouldn't be easy to kill them by the boatload while cheering. Jannah and her unit make it worse since, unless you want to say they're all force sensitive, anyone can potentially break free.

Just don't make them the equivalent of child soldiers from the Congo if you want faceless mooks to kill.
    Except:
    1 - Some of those troopers didn't need the additional drug treatment and don't necessarily mind their circumstance.
    2 - When someone is shooting at you, you shoot back.

The Rebels had an objective. There are tonnes of soldiers in the way of that objective. Some of those soldiers had to die to achieve victory. However because the Rebels succeeded the remaining soldiers can be freed.

Heavens no. No retcon. Just leave the Skywalker Mythos be now. For most it ended after the prequels.

I did not expect them to resurrect the empire again and hoped more for a KotoR kind of setting.

Way more interesting than the whole doom and gloom space Nazi stuff that has been done to death now.

Except:
    1 - Some of those troopers didn't need the additional drug treatment and don't necessarily mind their circumstance.
    2 - When someone is shooting at you, you shoot back.

The Rebels had an objective. There are tonnes of soldiers in the way of that objective. Some of those soldiers had to die to achieve victory. However because the Rebels succeeded the remaining soldiers can be freed.
    You mean the ones on the Star Destroyers that weren't on Exogol that get blown up after the big battle is over? Those guys that are getting killed will be freed?

No one in universe cares. If they did, Finn or Jannah would have been the person to say it. But no. We say not all of them are willing soldiers and then go back to killing them.